why i am against dangerous dogs lists or banned breeds

charmer271206_wideweb__430x293,0.jpg

My friend's 5 year old neice was killed by her family's pit bulls last year.

My friend's 5 year old neice was killed by her family's pit bulls last year.

As sad as that is ... it's never the animals fault, it's wrong to blame them. How they behave around humans is influenced by how humans behave toward them. This is how they were domesticated in the first place. People mistreat animals a LOT, most don't even consider them living things, even yelling at an animal for no reason will show that humans are a threat. Most people don't even see their actions as having such an impact because they are too arrogant to realize that animals DO have emotions, they DO have feelings, and they ONLY have their own stereotypes to live by. Other factors that can really effect an animals behavior is food quality. One of the biggest problems many people forget is that large dog breeds get stir crazy VERY easily, pinning them into a small yard or house without taking them for regular walks WILL drive them crazy (not insane, just on edge). Another factor that people almost always forget, animals play rough, and our bodies are not always capable of taking how rough they play, and unless they are treated well and trained well they will not know what damage their own form of play will cause, nor will they know the difference between play and "accidental" actions made by humans. Every case I have seen personally there was something that the keepers did wrong, simply because they did not know enough about the animal they were caring for ...

dogs are boys---CATS are girls

My mother says the same thing. Must be a Swedish thing.

Like Herpes....

Sweden introduces a new version of emergency contraception
'Condom ambulances' have been introduced in three major Swedish cities in a bid to boost the use of condoms and to call a halt to the alarming rise in sexually transmitted infections (STIs), such as chlamydia and genital herpes. Sweden the highest rates of genital herpes in Europe, with one in three women affected.

The initiative is a collaboration between Swedish health trust RFSU and a leading manufacturer of condoms. According to Carl Osvald, RFSU's marketing director, only 25% of Swedes between the ages of 16 and 25 actually use condoms despite the fact that a higher proportion are willing to do so: "Surveys show that 50% of them wouldn't mind using condoms, but for some reason, far fewer actually do."

International Herpes Alliance, News July 2004

Last edited:
Its aint the beast its the master.

If you treat a dog like a dog and act like the master you can make any dog behave.

There is brain damage that can cause a problem but other than that Dogs want to have a master.

great--well I want a dog that will protect me and bite the shit out of anyone who tries to harm me or my son. Do you recommend a toy poodle or a yorkshire terrier ?
Hire a bodyguard .

I like that my dog might be a deterrent to anyone thinking of bothering me or breaking into my home but I'd be worried most about her welfare if she were ever in a postion to have to defend me or my possessions.

Ditto. That's what my .45 is for.

dangerous dog lists are very subjective. most dogs must be trained to bite. there are a few breeds that are given to biting more than others, i dont care for chows. they will never growl and bite. i am a doberman owner and they are a breed people want on the dangerous dog list. any one who has experience with dobs knows how sillie that concept is. maybe 30 years ago ...but not now...the problem with a doberman is simply the amount of damage a single bite will do. i saw the post that goldens are number 3 biters..correct me if i am wrong...i think labs were listed...o hell let me find the list

Here in NC, labs bite more people than any other breed, but then labs are also the most common breed in the state, so that's really just the law of averages.
That's funny. My son was attacked and bitten by a lab while we were on vacation in NC. I'd still own a lab over a pit bull any day.

dangerous dog lists are very subjective. most dogs must be trained to bite. there are a few breeds that are given to biting more than others, i dont care for chows. they will never growl and bite. i am a doberman owner and they are a breed people want on the dangerous dog list. any one who has experience with dobs knows how sillie that concept is. maybe 30 years ago ...but not now...the problem with a doberman is simply the amount of damage a single bite will do. i saw the post that goldens are number 3 biters..correct me if i am wrong...i think labs were listed...o hell let me find the list

Here in NC, labs bite more people than any other breed, but then labs are also the most common breed in the state, so that's really just the law of averages.
That's funny. My son was attacked and bitten by a lab while we were on vacation in NC. I'd still own a lab over a pit bull any day.
So why would you hold a pit bull's breed against them but not against a lab?

DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere

many homeowner's insurance will not insure certain breeds...if you have one of the so called dangerous breeds make sure your ho insurance covers it

I was at the spca last week and of the 30 or so dogs up for adoption, half were pit bulls. If raised and treated right, they are sweet dogs. Unfortunately they've gotten a bum deal from being mistreated and many do not want to own one out of fear. It made me wonder why there were so many pits there though. Some were barking but most just looked at you with big, sad eyes. They also had 6 or so black and white border collie pups, probably about 5-6 months old. Most were already adopted. We are all trying to talk the dad into getting another dog. So far, no luck. :(

I was at the spca last week and of the 30 or so dogs up for adoption, half were pit bulls. If raised and treated right, they are sweet dogs. Unfortunately they've gotten a bum deal from being mistreated and many do not want to own one out of fear. It made me wonder why there were so many pits there though. Some were barking but most just looked at you with big, sad eyes. They also had 6 or so black and white border collie pups, probably about 5-6 months old. Most were already adopted. We are all trying to talk the dad into getting another dog. So far, no luck. :(

I read that some of Michael Vick's dogs have been retrained and aren't vicious anymore. There are ways to change them back, you have to get them to someone who knows what they are doing though.

This should be pretty cool:

Series to chronicle retraining days for Vick's dogs | Entertainment | Television | Reuters

Series to chronicle retraining days for Vick's dogs

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:44pm EST Email | Print | Share| Reprints | Single Page[-] Text [+]
LAS VEGAS (Hollywood Reporter) - National Geographic Channel said Monday that its new series "Dogtown" will spend the next few months documenting the attempted rehabilitation of dogs that belonged to jailed Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

The 22 animals now reside at Dogtown, the Best Friends animal sanctuary in Utah.

The series will focus on four of the toughest cases as the experts at Dogtown try to "resocialize these seriously aggressive pit bulls."

"Dogtown" is in production on episodes set to premiere in the summer.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

I read that some of Michael Vick's dogs have been retrained and aren't vicious anymore. There are ways to change them back, you have to get them to someone who knows what they are doing though.

I agree. I don't know about the dogs I saw at the spca though . . . . hopefully they'll get adopted by people who realize that these dogs do make good pets if treated/trained correctly.

I'm glad some of Vick's dogs are getting a second chance. They should have sent him away for a longer time. a

I agree. I don't know about the dogs I saw at the spca though . . . . hopefully they'll get adopted by people who realize that these dogs do make good pets if treated/trained correctly.

I'm glad some of Vick's dogs are getting a second chance. They should have sent him away for a longer time. a

He's a moron. Playing football without a helmet...

Those poor dogs.

Geezus.....folks have a hard time being objective, especially with their own breed.

That list is spot on. Every family should know about those things before getting a dog. Dalmations are the prime example. Great dogs. You take a Dalmation and make him your best friend, exercise him, talk to him, make him part of the family, he'll be a great dog. Put him on a chain, isolate him, treat him poorly, he's the worst menace you've ever seen. Of course, this can happen with lots of breeds but certain breeds have particular needs. If you don't have horses or cattle to occupy the Dalmation you had better teach that dog to play ball or something. He has high drive. Built in. Genetic. Herding/hunting type instincts. He's bred to nip at horses heels without fear. This is his genetic make up. he is predisposed to particular behavior.

Rotties are herding/guard dogs. Roman's bred these dogs to herd and protect the livestock. Again, particular characterisitcs. They have to be dealt with if you are going to try and make a pet from a working dog.

Pit Bulls, Dobermans, etc. they all have distinct traits they were bred for. Yes, they can be made into pets. A bicycle can be made into a motorcycle with enough work. Doesn't mean that a bike is the right thing to have if you want a motorcycle. It's the thing to have if you want to take on a project.

Sure, labs bite. Just apply the old bite test: Does it have teeth? If it does, it will bite. That's what teeth are for, you see. The thing is, you generally have to train a lab or a beagle or a bassett to bite aggressively. You have to teach it to be aggressive, the breeds are specifically bred not be so. You have to train a pit bull not to bite. He is bred to be aggressive. He is bred to bite. That was his job, the reason for his existence. A dog bred with the very idea of a strong, aggressive, powerful bite.

And Chows.....those sneaky bastards. I actually like pits and boxers, I don't like chows. Stealth biters. They bite from behind. The sneak up on you. No warning. Why? IT'S IN THEIR BLOOD. That's how they behave. Not all of them.....most of them. Typical behavior in that breed. Is it the dogs fault? Well....yes and no. It's not his fault that he was bred into that disposition but it is his nature, his genetic make up, a part of what he is. His owners aren't at fault for the dog being what it is. If it's a born biter, it's a born biter. You'll have to look a bit further up the ownership tree to find the people that made the dog that way. What is the owners fault is not knowing their breed. Too many boxer owners know that their dog is a loving, gentle member of the family. Never did see him bite or even growl. Until Jimmy's little friend came over and got mauled. I don't give a damn how friendly your pit, your boxer, you rottie is with you and yours. You can defend your breed based on how nice your dog is all day long. Fact is, he has a genetic disposition to behave a certain way. Perhaps he checks this attitude with you. You have dominted him. He will not do so with others. To expect your dog not to display his genetic characterisitcs with others is to expect everyone to be a dog handler. It just isn't so. Your dog's behavior is a one on one proposition. Each creature your dog comes into contact with has to work out it's own relationship with your dog, regardless of your dogs disposition to you. If you are there, you can control. If you are not, it is a dog eat dog world.

My lab is a sweet heart around me and people in general. But you know what? I've got enough sense to know that if I take her over to my buddies pond where the ducks are, I will have to pay for the damned ducks. She can't help it. So long as I am there, she won't make a move on the birds. Turn my back for a moment and she goes ape shit on anything with feathers. It's her nature. There is only so much you can do.

Geezus.....folks have a hard time being objective, especially with their own breed.

That list is spot on. Every family should know about those things before getting a dog. Dalmations are the prime example. Great dogs. You take a Dalmation and make him your best friend, exercise him, talk to him, make him part of the family, he'll be a great dog. Put him on a chain, isolate him, treat him poorly, he's the worst menace you've ever seen. Of course, this can happen with lots of breeds but certain breeds have particular needs. If you don't have horses or cattle to occupy the Dalmation you had better teach that dog to play ball or something. He has high drive. Built in. Genetic. Herding/hunting type instincts. He's bred to nip at horses heels without fear. This is his genetic make up. he is predisposed to particular behavior.

Rotties are herding/guard dogs. Roman's bred these dogs to herd and protect the livestock. Again, particular characterisitcs. They have to be dealt with if you are going to try and make a pet from a working dog.

Pit Bulls, Dobermans, etc. they all have distinct traits they were bred for. Yes, they can be made into pets. A bicycle can be made into a motorcycle with enough work. Doesn't mean that a bike is the right thing to have if you want a motorcycle. It's the thing to have if you want to take on a project.

Sure, labs bite. Just apply the old bite test: Does it have teeth? If it does, it will bite. That's what teeth are for, you see. The thing is, you generally have to train a lab or a beagle or a bassett to bite aggressively. You have to teach it to be aggressive, the breeds are specifically bred not be so. You have to train a pit bull not to bite. He is bred to be aggressive. He is bred to bite. That was his job, the reason for his existence. A dog bred with the very idea of a strong, aggressive, powerful bite.

And Chows.....those sneaky bastards. I actually like pits and boxers, I don't like chows. Stealth biters. They bite from behind. The sneak up on you. No warning. Why? IT'S IN THEIR BLOOD. That's how they behave. Not all of them.....most of them. Typical behavior in that breed. Is it the dogs fault? Well....yes and no. It's not his fault that he was bred into that disposition but it is his nature, his genetic make up, a part of what he is. His owners aren't at fault for the dog being what it is. If it's a born biter, it's a born biter. You'll have to look a bit further up the ownership tree to find the people that made the dog that way. What is the owners fault is not knowing their breed. Too many boxer owners know that their dog is a loving, gentle member of the family. Never did see him bite or even growl. Until Jimmy's little friend came over and got mauled. I don't give a damn how friendly your pit, your boxer, you rottie is with you and yours. You can defend your breed based on how nice your dog is all day long. Fact is, he has a genetic disposition to behave a certain way. Perhaps he checks this attitude with you. You have dominted him. He will not do so with others. To expect your dog not to display his genetic characterisitcs with others is to expect everyone to be a dog handler. It just isn't so. Your dog's behavior is a one on one proposition. Each creature your dog comes into contact with has to work out it's own relationship with your dog, regardless of your dogs disposition to you. If you are there, you can control. If you are not, it is a dog eat dog world.

My lab is a sweet heart around me and people in general. But you know what? I've got enough sense to know that if I take her over to my buddies pond where the ducks are, I will have to pay for the damned ducks. She can't help it. So long as I am there, she won't make a move on the birds. Turn my back for a moment and she goes ape shit on anything with feathers. It's her nature. There is only so much you can do.

Off topic but do you think people are the same as dogs? Just wondering. :)

Off topic but do you think people are the same as dogs? Just wondering. :)

Yes. I do. People have genetic predispositions as well.

The difference? A little thing called civilization. Dogs have very little capacity for empathy or compassion. Perhaps some, but not much. We have a great capacity for such. That's why we don't go chasing after every other male that walks by the house. Civilization.

Because statistically speaking, Pits are more dangerous.

SON (not dog, edit, lol) has a rednosed pit, we all love him, he was raised with my kids and has been around their baby since birth.

But we ALL recognize he's a dangerous animal. Even is he is a sweetheart and a part of the family. We do NOT leave him alone with children, we do NOT allow him to "romp" with other dogs who are the least bit aggressive....

Last edited:

Because statistically speaking, Pits are more dangerous.

Dog has a rednosed pit, we all love him, he was raised with my kids and has been around their baby since birth.

But we ALL recognize he's a dangerous animal. Even is he is a sweetheart and a part of the family. We do NOT leave him alone with children, we do NOT allow him to "romp" with other dogs who are the least bit aggressive....

Yep....one false move and instinct kicks in. All those years of being a gentle, loving dog turn into a mauling. Any dog can display this. Any dog can become moved to agression and bite. Fact is, the pits threshold to this level af aggression is extremely low. And once he crosses that threshold, it isn't a warning bite, a single bite or a bite and run. He will lock onto his prey and pursue until he has done what he is bred to do.

Doesn't make him a "bad" dog. In fact, makes him a "good" dog, according to his breed characteristics. If he's good at chasing down, biting and mauling other living things, he's a great pit bull, by the book. And that makes him inherently dangerous. As he was meant to be.

Forum List

Back