Why football keeps America from ever being invaded.

How many of you have said.."football is violent".. "too much like war".. well THANK GOD!

No country in the world plays a sport that the underlining characteristics are the fundamentals of an army.
"Command and control functions are performed through an arrangement of personnel, equipment, communications, facilities, and procedures employed by a commander in planning, directing, coordinating, and controlling forces and operations in the accomplishment of the mission. Also called C2"

In all, 1,134,377 boys at 15,513 high schools played 11-, six-, eight- or nine-player football for their high schools in 2010-11. Football remains No. 1 among high school participation | Youth Football | USA Football | Football's National Governing Body

So given 70,000 college players and 1,500 pro there are over 1.2 million young virile athletes that understand command and control.
And that is in just ONE year!

Players graduate but never forget their football training.. command/control.
More kids are learning football adding to the reserves.

All in all an estimated 40 million+ American males have had since grade school and up instructions in command/control.

Each team has a coach.. commander..
Each team has a quarterback that takes commands from the commander.
Each player is trained to perform according to control functions.

Exactly how an army platoon works!

So amongst all this angst about football injuries, remember we have trained nearly 40 million Americans in the command/control aspects of a platoon and the
principle of taking orders from a platoon leader who gets orders from a coach who can get orders from a central command.

And so it is without question one of the underlying reasons the world's largest Army Chinese will never resort to a land based invasion because no matter how
many troops they bring.. the USA with our home force football trained in army squads, platoons..i.e. command and control will be able to thwart them.
They will never have enough men coming over by sea.

It didn't prevent Pearl Harbor.

How many of you have said.."football is violent".. "too much like war".. well THANK GOD!

No country in the world plays a sport that the underlining characteristics are the fundamentals of an army.
"Command and control functions are performed through an arrangement of personnel, equipment, communications, facilities, and procedures employed by a commander in planning, directing, coordinating, and controlling forces and operations in the accomplishment of the mission. Also called C2"

In all, 1,134,377 boys at 15,513 high schools played 11-, six-, eight- or nine-player football for their high schools in 2010-11. Football remains No. 1 among high school participation | Youth Football | USA Football | Football's National Governing Body

So given 70,000 college players and 1,500 pro there are over 1.2 million young virile athletes that understand command and control.
And that is in just ONE year!

Players graduate but never forget their football training.. command/control.
More kids are learning football adding to the reserves.

All in all an estimated 40 million+ American males have had since grade school and up instructions in command/control.

Each team has a coach.. commander..
Each team has a quarterback that takes commands from the commander.
Each player is trained to perform according to control functions.

Exactly how an army platoon works!

So amongst all this angst about football injuries, remember we have trained nearly 40 million Americans in the command/control aspects of a platoon and the
principle of taking orders from a platoon leader who gets orders from a coach who can get orders from a central command.

And so it is without question one of the underlying reasons the world's largest Army Chinese will never resort to a land based invasion because no matter how
many troops they bring.. the USA with our home force football trained in army squads, platoons..i.e. command and control will be able to thwart them.
They will never have enough men coming over by sea.

It didn't prevent Pearl Harbor.

You are right. Also didn't prevent 9/11 did it?

Never said it would stop any attack like Pearl Harbor.
And remember that was 73 years ago.

Again think many steps as military planners do.

Why do you think the Internet came about?
Look up DARPA..Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency see their first page statement: "Creating and Preventing Strategic Surprise"
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is an agency of the United States Department of Defense responsible for the development of new technologies for use by the military. DARPA has been responsible for funding the development of many technologies which have had a major effect on the world, including computer networking, as well as NLS, which was both the first hypertext system, and an important precursor to the contemporary ubiquitous graphical user interface.
The network had to connect four computers running on four different operating systems. They called the network ARPANET.*
Without ARPANET, the Internet wouldn't look or behave the way it does today -- it might not even exist. Although other groups were working on ways to network computers, ARPANET established the protocols used on the Internet today. Moreover, without ARPANET, it may have taken many more years before anyone tried to find ways to join regional networks together into a larger system.
DARPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So again.. think more then your life style...
Without this "Creating and Preventing Strategic Surprise" we wouldn't have the internet..i.e. thinking the unthinkable!
And so it won't take another "pearl harbor" or "9/11" to take down the country.. READ about EMP/Iranian missile testing and you will see why
I'm suggesting that football team command and control will be helpful if the EMP takes place and you are without your medications as trucks
won't run. Electricity won't work. "Command and control"!!!

While it is true that football, when properly played, employs elements of discipline, leadership, and order that could be valuable on the battlefield, its overall impact on the value of any individual soldier or unit would be negligible. 12 weeks at Paris Island is far better preparation for combat than four years of HS football.

I have a difficult time gaining an appreciation for a sport in which it pays to be a genetic mutant. A sport where fans cheer a 300 pound behemoth sneaking up behind a 200 pound quarterback and pounding him into oblivion - only one example. Football is punctuated by two of the worst aspects of American culture: committee meetings and gratuitous violence. You can have it.

And all talk about the "character building" of football is lost on me because I recall quite clearly that at my high school - a football powerhouse, don't you know - if you had made a list of the 40 biggest assholes in the school and set it alongside the varsity football roster, the two lists would have been virtually indistinguishable.

And I suspect the same is true in most schools.

While it is true that football, when properly played, employs elements of discipline, leadership, and order that could be valuable on the battlefield, its overall impact on the value of any individual soldier or unit would be negligible. 12 weeks at Paris Island is far better preparation for combat than four years of HS football.

I have a difficult time gaining an appreciation for a sport in which it pays to be a genetic mutant. A sport where fans cheer a 300 pound behemoth sneaking up behind a 200 pound quarterback and pounding him into oblivion - only one example. Football is punctuated by two of the worst aspects of American culture: committee meetings and gratuitous violence. You can have it.

And all talk about the "character building" of football is lost on me because I recall quite clearly that at my high school - a football powerhouse, don't you know - if you had made a list of the 40 biggest assholes in the school and set it alongside the varsity football roster, the two lists would have been virtually indistinguishable.

Your comment about "Paris island" would be disputed by Secretary of Navy Frank Knox during WWII.

"Football at these institutions was used for a number of reasons as outlined by the creators of the V-5 program.
The use of football and athletics for the purpose of training military men drew a lot of flack from people inside and outside of the military as to whether or not it was the best and most efficient way to prepare men for combat.
The opposition to the program was not nearly strong enough to work against those in favor of the program.

The program had backing in very high places such as from the Secretary of Navy Frank Knox.
Knox believed strongly in the use of football as a training tool for combat.
He was one of the biggest advocates of the program and he was also in the best position to see that the program continued on during the war years.
Knox is quoted in the Great Lake’s Bulletin as saying, “[t]his is a war where you kill or get killed! And I don’t know anything that better prepares a man for bodily contact, including war, than the kind of training we get on the football field.” As one can see from these strong words, Knox believed deeply in the advantages of using football as a training technique. He goes on to say that “[there is] a definite relationship between the spirit which makes great football players and the spirit that makes great soldiers or sailors.”

Probably the most important characteristics that a cadet could learn while playing football are keeping a cool head under pressure and learning to work as a cohesive group with a common goal. Staying calm in frantic situations can be the difference between winning and losing in a football game but on the battlefield this could be the difference between living and dying\. The advantages of having soldiers that have been in pressure situations prior to war are beneficial to any army because it is more likely that these soldiers will be able to keep their composure. The ability of a soldier or group of soldiers to work together as a team is also quite important for an army. More often than not armed forces missions are performed in small or large groups and the cohesiveness of the unit is always important to its success. Executing individual assignments with a common goal in mind is important for armies and football players alike.

And you may want to have a dialogue with Tom Harmon's son Mark (his Dad is dead!) regarding the below statement by your calling his dad a ASSHOLE.

Tom Harmon, a graduate of the University of Michigan, cited his football training as the main reason for his surviving two separate instances of being missing in action, once in South America after a crash landing and thirty-two days behind Japanese lines in China after being shot down during World War II. He said, “When you play football it gives you a fighting heart to survive situations I have faced.”
http://library.noctrl.edu/archives/...l_at_miltary_training_centers_during_wwII.pdf

Aw, childhood trauma, Poindexter? Don't hold on to the bitterness over being the uncoordinated, socially awkward 98-pound weakling that none of the pretty girls would talk to. Let it go. Time to grow up. Maybe you'll build yourself some character some other way - some day. Or, maybe not.

Two- a -days were far harder than anything basic training threw at me.

Two- a -days were far harder than anything basic training threw at me.

I was making the point that the command and control process of football teams will be a help in forming resistance to a potential invading force.
With millions of Americans familiar with football, the coach (platoon leader) the squads (quarterback,defensive coordinator) are already familiar then with how
commands and controls are established.
That was my major point i.e. football builds that discipline to follow orders (plays called in by coach) and to execute each player's assigned role without QUESTION!
The same mind set established in basic training!

Football does have a similar mindset.

But you went on to say football is

WHY WE DONT GET INVADED.

That is batshit loony bin stuff.

Football does have a similar mindset.

But you went on to say football is

WHY WE DONT GET INVADED.

That is batshit loony bin stuff.

So you are privy to how the enemy's military planners think?

Also did I EVER EVER SAY IT WAS THE ONLY REASON???
Here because obviously you have a READING comprehension problem..

The thread title " Why football keeps America from ever being invaded."
Where in that title does it intimate, state, conclude conclusively that football is the ONLY reason???

I know there are many reasons why you would jump to conclusions that it is"batshit..loony" and having reading comprehension problems is not your ONLY problem!

Logical sane people look at ALL possibilities. All factors and MOST don't jump to conclusions that just because for space constraints, for attention getting value
I was batshit loony by concluding LIKE YOU did that it was the ONLY reason the USA would not be invaded!

The premise was football provides training that NO other sport does for inculcating (big word here!) military command and control benefits!

Forum List

Back