Why football keeps America from ever being invaded.

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
How many of you have said.."football is violent".. "too much like war".. well THANK GOD!

No country in the world plays a sport that the underlining characteristics are the fundamentals of an army.
"Command and control functions are performed through an arrangement of personnel, equipment, communications, facilities, and procedures employed by a commander in planning, directing, coordinating, and controlling forces and operations in the accomplishment of the mission. Also called C2"

In all, 1,134,377 boys at 15,513 high schools played 11-, six-, eight- or nine-player football for their high schools in 2010-11. Football remains No. 1 among high school participation | Youth Football | USA Football | Football's National Governing Body

So given 70,000 college players and 1,500 pro there are over 1.2 million young virile athletes that understand command and control.
And that is in just ONE year!

Players graduate but never forget their football training.. command/control.
More kids are learning football adding to the reserves.

All in all an estimated 40 million+ American males have had since grade school and up instructions in command/control.

Each team has a coach.. commander..
Each team has a quarterback that takes commands from the commander.
Each player is trained to perform according to control functions.

Exactly how an army platoon works!

So amongst all this angst about football injuries, remember we have trained nearly 40 million Americans in the command/control aspects of a platoon and the
principle of taking orders from a platoon leader who gets orders from a coach who can get orders from a central command.

And so it is without question one of the underlying reasons the world's largest Army Chinese will never resort to a land based invasion because no matter how
many troops they bring.. the USA with our home force football trained in army squads, platoons..i.e. command and control will be able to thwart them.
They will never have enough men coming over by sea.

LMAO. Please say you are not serious? Football keeps us safe from invasion. Who'd a thunk it? Only you.

You ever play rugby? Rugby is why the Australians haven't been invaded. True story.

Soccer kept the English from ever being invaded. True story. Soccer is the reason the Germans never crossed the English Chanel. True story.

Napoleon also wouldn't cross the English Chanel. But I think that was because of cricket. I would have to check on that one. The French were very concerned about those cricket bats.

American football in essence is a game of "planting the flag" (going for a touchdown at the end zone, in analogy, "planting" the flag into enemies' territory) as opposed to capturing the flag.

It's the only physical game in the world which is in my opinion is the most similar to a battle scenario.

Europe has rugby, which is just as rough, but they don't wear pads. I like football, but it has nothing to do with military formations. Also, I'd rather have a Bill Gates on my side during a war than a Peyton Manning.

America never gets invaded because we have the most powerful military in the world, and live thousands of miles across the ocean from our nearest enemies.

I understand what the OP was trying to get at, but it wasn't well thought out.

LMAO. Please say you are not serious? Football keeps us safe from invasion. Who'd a thunk it? Only you.

You ever play rugby? Rugby is why the Australians haven't been invaded. True story.

Soccer kept the English from ever being invaded. True story. Soccer is the reason the Germans never crossed the English Chanel. True story.

Napoleon also wouldn't cross the English Chanel. But I think that was because of cricket. I would have to check on that one. The French were very concerned about those cricket bats.

Absolute false!
Rugby doesn't have a quarterback! Doesn't have a defense! Doesn't take commands from a coach!
Soccer??? MASS running around chasing a ball like a butterfly!!! HAHAHAHA!
CRICKET??? THAT's like baseball! Does cricket/baseball TEACH men how to take down another man...i.e. TACKLE??
HELL NO you wimp!

GEEZ talk about idiots... obviously you have never played FOOTBALL much less any other sport to understand the premise I was discussing.

AGAIN none of the sports you mentioned had ANYTHING to do with command/control... you f...king idiot!

Football sucks, if anything else caused that much childhood brain injury it would be banned, but they let little kids do it because it "builds character". Also the very idea that football coaches are our highest paid educators is ludicrous.

Absolute false!
Rugby doesn't have a quarterback! Doesn't have a defense! Doesn't take commands from a coach!
Soccer??? MASS running around chasing a ball like a butterfly!!! HAHAHAHA!
CRICKET??? THAT's like baseball! Does cricket/baseball TEACH men how to take down another man...i.e. TACKLE??
HELL NO you wimp!

GEEZ talk about idiots... obviously you have never played FOOTBALL much less any other sport to understand the premise I was discussing.

AGAIN none of the sports you mentioned had ANYTHING to do with command/control... you f...king idiot!

I can tell you have played a LOT of football. Without a helmet. Your head injuries are on display most every day.

Or were you born naturally dumb?

Actually, if I were planning to invade the USA, I would do it on Super Bowl Sunday.

Or maybe the day after. When everyone is SO hungover.

Which day you think would work best healthmists?

American football in essence is a game of "planting the flag" (going for a touchdown at the end zone, in analogy, "planting" the flag into enemies' territory) as opposed to capturing the flag.

It's the only physical game in the world which is in my opinion is the most similar to a battle scenario.

Rugby seems more like war because the action is continuous. In what war does the defense wait for the offense to get set and make their plans without fear of a pre-emotive strike?

Rugby seems more like war because the action is continuous. In what war does the defense wait for the offense to get set and make their plans without fear of a pre-emotive strike?

But but but rugby doesn't have a quarterback. Do they have a couple of good NCO's? That's what a good army needs. Highly competent NCO's.

Who are the NCO's on the football team Healthmyths? It's the center, isn't it?

What a weird thread.

America never gets invaded because we have the most powerful football players in the world who like to wear pink shoes.

Major wars between real world powers are no longer possible. If we ever do have a full out war with China or Russia...the costs will be so severe due to Nuclear Weapons that no one would ever dream of letting issues escalate to that level.

A ground based land invasion is so 50+ years ago....It's a dinosaur that's gone extinct and is never coming back. We bully third world nations with ground based invasions.

How many of you have said.."football is violent".. "too much like war".. well THANK GOD!

No country in the world plays a sport that the underlining characteristics are the fundamentals of an army.
"Command and control functions are performed through an arrangement of personnel, equipment, communications, facilities, and procedures employed by a commander in planning, directing, coordinating, and controlling forces and operations in the accomplishment of the mission. Also called C2"

In all, 1,134,377 boys at 15,513 high schools played 11-, six-, eight- or nine-player football for their high schools in 2010-11. Football remains No. 1 among high school participation | Youth Football | USA Football | Football's National Governing Body

So given 70,000 college players and 1,500 pro there are over 1.2 million young virile athletes that understand command and control.
And that is in just ONE year!

Players graduate but never forget their football training.. command/control.
More kids are learning football adding to the reserves.

All in all an estimated 40 million+ American males have had since grade school and up instructions in command/control.

Each team has a coach.. commander..
Each team has a quarterback that takes commands from the commander.
Each player is trained to perform according to control functions.

Exactly how an army platoon works!

So amongst all this angst about football injuries, remember we have trained nearly 40 million Americans in the command/control aspects of a platoon and the
principle of taking orders from a platoon leader who gets orders from a coach who can get orders from a central command.

And so it is without question one of the underlying reasons the world's largest Army Chinese will never resort to a land based invasion because no matter how
many troops they bring.. the USA with our home force football trained in army squads, platoons..i.e. command and control will be able to thwart them.
They will never have enough men coming over by sea.

I agree. And since half of teams playing football will loose, ya you're right, that's JUST like America's performance in wars. :)

Football and all our guns and the most powerful military in the world by far and two pretty big oceans. I am not sure football really matters that much now that I look at the list.

Europe has rugby, which is just as rough, but they don't wear pads. I like football, but it has nothing to do with military formations. Also, I'd rather have a Bill Gates on my side during a war than a Peyton Manning.

America never gets invaded because we have the most powerful military in the world, and live thousands of miles across the ocean from our nearest enemies.

I understand what the OP was trying to get at, but it wasn't well thought out.

AGAIN YOU MISSED the point of command/control!
RUGBY HAS NEITHER!
BILL GATES has NO experience in command /control... he didn't even build Microsoft...idiot he stole it from CP/M!

As weird as it sounds, the OP might be on to something, kinda-sorta, in a soft-and-fuzzy kind of way...

Although America came on the scene late, with respect to things like European football (soccer) and Rugby (which is a headbanger's game if ever I saw one)...

Americans have some unique and highly regimented Cornerstone or Defining Sports...

Baseball is not violent but there's a lot of quick-thinking tactical work mixed-in with the boring intervals...

Basketball - as it was refined here - hovers on the edge of violent and, of course, it can turn that way, but it's fast-paced and highly aggressive and regimented...

Football is, indeed, two squads of armored soldiers, contesting a battlefield and moving towards the other's base of operations...

Add-in the latter-day video gaming and online gaming that has materialized in the past 20 years or so...

And you have a recipe for a populace that doesn't necessarily go out of its way, looking for a fight, but one which oftentimes relishes the prospect of a fight, once it's thrust upon them...

An understandable arrogance and conceit on our part that usually works in our favor, but which can bite us in the ass from time to time, when we get a little too sloppy with the task of picking our fights, or going the distance in one...

IMHO, the OP isn't very accurate, in the main, but there IS a nugget of truth in there somewhere...

Reading it, the first thing that came to mind was an old 1980 song, by the Charlie Daniels Band, called 'In America'...

...with the operative lyrics coming-in at about the 1:40 mark.

It was a short-lived patriotic song that surfaced during Jimmy Carter's last year as President, while we were suffering the humiliation associated with the Iranian Hostage Crisis... a puffing-out of the chest and a reminder that we are a proud and strong and tough people... and that particular lyric always stuck in my tiny little brain.

Yessir... there IS a nugget of truth in the OP.
teeth_smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, if I were planning to invade the USA, I would do it on Super Bowl Sunday.

Or maybe the day after. When everyone is SO hungover.

Which day you think would work best healthmists?

Again.. Zero... you missed the entire POINT as your pointed head allows most everything to go over it!
A) Idiot! How would you land an invading army? By Ships! Idiot... don't you think we'd see them weeks before?
B) Even if they landed again.. the principle is football teaches command/control and if there ever were a need for homeland defense beyond our existing military..
we have a built in already trained in command/control millions! Football teams!

You think I'm spoofing about this?
I've already got a script Hollywood is looking at the story of how football teams' training would help in thwarting an invasion.
They think it is viable.

As weird as it sounds, the OP might be on to something, kinda-sorta, in a soft-and-fuzzy kind of way...

Although America came on the scene late, with respect to things like European football (soccer) and Rugby (which is a headbanger's game if ever I saw one)...

Americans have some unique and highly regimented Cornerstone or Defining Sports...

Baseball is not violent but there's a lot of quick-thinking tactical work mixed-in with the boring intervals...

Basketball - as it was refined here - hovers on the edge of violent and, of course, it can turn that way, but it's fast-paced and highly aggressive and regimented...

Football is, indeed, two squads of armored soldiers, contesting a battlefield and moving towards the other's base of operations...

Add-in the latter-day video gaming and online gaming that has materialized in the past 20 years or so...

And you have a recipe for a populace that doesn't necessarily go out of its way, looking for a fight, but one which oftentimes relishes the prospect of a fight, once it's thrust upon them...

An understandable arrogance and conceit on our part that usually works in our favor, but which can bite us in the ass from time to time, when we get a little too sloppy with the task of picking our fights, or going the distance in one...

IMHO, the OP isn't very accurate, in the main, but there IS a nugget of truth in there somewhere...

Reading it, the first thing that came to mind was an old 1980 song, by the Charlie Daniels Band, called 'In America'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxSc3ylAkg

...with the operative lyrics coming-in at about the 1:40 mark.

It was a short-lived patriotic song that surfaced during Jimmy Carter's last year as President, while we were suffering the humiliation associated with the Iranian Hostage Crisis... a puffing-out of the chest and a reminder that we are a proud and strong and tough people... and that particular lyric always stuck in my tiny little brain.

Yessir... there IS a nugget of truth in the OP.
teeth_smile.gif

Where am I not accurate?

I sourced the players' participation numbers.. got an issue with that accuracy?

The C2 i.e. command/control is a reality. Not something I made up but used by the military for ages! Where is that inaccurate?

finally the premise that a football team is a platoon ..i.e. platoon leader commissioned officer/Coach.

The platoon has three squads..
Defense with a squad leader...
Offense - Squad leader (quarterback)
Special team squads with squad leader

The platoon leader is in C2 with strategy advisers and coordinates with squad leaders.
Pretty similar to an army organizational structure... so again where is the inaccuracy??
Please advise me from your all knowing sagacity!

Forum List

Back