Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Here are the movies I have taped

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Heaven with a barb wired fence
Come on danger

Anybody love or hate any of these?

Sgt York is good film about one most decorated soldiers of WWI. It's a good combination comedy and drama. It won a bunch of academy awards
The Westerner is another good movie for it's time.
The Public Enemy is worth watching to see a young Cagney and Jean Harlow. Don't remember the rest.

31 minutes in sgt York hasn’t hardly mentioned the war. It’s all about country living.

I can’t wait to see how he gets enlisted

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

Sgt York is good film about one most decorated soldiers of WWI. It's a good combination comedy and drama. It won a bunch of academy awards
The Public Enemy is worth watching to see a young Cagney and Jean Harlow. Don't remember the rest.

31 minutes in sgt York hasn’t hardly mentioned the war. It’s all about country living.

42 minutes in he’s trying to hustle up enough to buy some bottom land. Still no inclination he’s about to go to war.

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

42 minutes in he’s trying to hustle up enough to buy some bottom land. Still no inclination he’s about to go to war.

Finally 1 hour ten minutes in he’s finding out he’s got to go to war. How long is this movie?

I like movies like this. I call them two for ones. Like full metal jacket there was basic training then the Vietnam story.

And I’m sure sgt York will come back a war hero.

Well I watched this old movie that looked like it would be good. It was like a James Bond but not as much action. Too much slow boring talking scenes. Not enough fighting and interesting things going on. Car chases that went no where. They should have just killed him but for some reason they didn’t. He was an American spy in Germany and everyone seemed to know it. Even the bad guys.

The Quiller Memorandum. Watch it and tell me quinton terrantino wouldn’t have made a much more interesting movie. Well the truth is this is what a lot of movies were like back then. You can make excuses for them but the truth is that was a time when movies weren’t very good.

Like I said in my previous post watch journey to the center of the earth and Indiana Jones and you’ll see how far movies have come even without the special effects Indiana Jones is a much more fast paced action movie. The producers and directors in the past didn’t do a good job.

I know what you’re saying about developing characters and all that but for god sakes speed it up.

And now that I think about it quinton Tarantino tends to let his scenes drag on too but at least you can tell someone’s about to get fucked up. Lol
I saw the movie last year on TV.
The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

I think the best action movies of the 60's were
Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
The Dirty Dozen

However, I the best movies of 60's weren't action movies. My favorites were:
The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day
A lot of slow movies but I like a lot of them.
After 70 years years of watching every genre and best films to the worst films, I've found the most rewarding films are those with strong character development. They can be action movies, romances, comedies, or dramas it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the actor creates a three dimensional character with a rich back story, not a cliche, a caricature, or a thin external representation of someone who barely resembles a human being. If the combination of script, direction, and acting create a real person on the screen, the audience will become involved and the movie is much more likely to be successful.
Since having this conversation I’ve taped a bunch of old movies. Movies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise. There was a Charlton Heston marathon. Besides the Ten Commandments and Ben hur I’m not a fan. But those movies were good. All the other movies were too slow and boring. And those movies illustrate just how one dimensional of an actor he was. People loved him and he was a big star but I just don’t like his stuff overall including planet of the apes. Too slow and cheesy. Could have been much better. That’s not his fault though so I’m not knocking his acting I’m knocking his movies.

I’m watching a Humphrey bogart movie the treasure of the Sierra madre. Searching for gold in the Mexican mountains. Great movie so far. I’ve seen him in other movies I like his stuff but I need to see more. It really depends on the plot. I don’t want to see him in a love story with Lauren Bacall. Boring. I remember liking the African queen with Katherine Hepburn because of the setting. Casablanca I remember as being boring but maybe I’d like it now.

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. , dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?
Caine Mutiny is probably Bogart's best. He won an academy award for it and it won best picture but don't expect the Bogart you are use to seeing.

When I first saw Casablanca, I too was pretty bored. However, after seeing it a couple times since every girl I dated in those days seem to love it, I too began to like it. However to really appreciated it you have to know the history.

Creating the film "Casablanca" was filled with so much uncertainty and chaos that the people behind it would probably have never guessed that it would turn out to be one of the greatest motion pictures ever made. Almost everyone in the cast was second or third choice. The studio went through half dozen screenwriters. The movie was nearing completion and no one knew how it was going to end. Many of the most famous lines in the movie were created on the fly such, as "Play it again, Sam. After the filming, and final editing, Hal Walis commented, "I just don't believe it. Nobody thought it would even be completed." Yet it was not only completed, a box office success, but it won 3 academy awards including best picture. On the 75th anniversary of the movie, it held the record for the most run movie on TV. It also is believed to hold the record for the most quoted movie in history.
Sgt York made in 1941 was made to convince men to join ww2.

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

I have to admit I teared up at the end when he came back from the war a hero and his life was much better for it. His girl was still waiting for him. Job offers.

The state of Tennessee bought him 200 acres for what he did. Fixed up the place too.

They really sold the young men in the 40s before we entered ww2. That was a propaganda piece and it was indeed a good movie.

I’ll watch the westerner next

I saw the movie last year on TV.
The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

I think the best action movies of the 60's were
Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
The Dirty Dozen

However, I the best movies of 60's weren't action movies. My favorites were:
The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day
A lot of slow movies but I like a lot of them.
After 70 years years of watching every genre and best films to the worst films, I've found the most rewarding films are those with strong character development. They can be action movies, romances, comedies, or dramas it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the actor creates a three dimensional character with a rich back story, not a cliche, a caricature, or a thin external representation of someone who barely resembles a human being. If the combination of script, direction, and acting create a real person on the screen, the audience will become involved and the movie is much more likely to be successful.
Since having this conversation I’ve taped a bunch of old movies. Movies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise. There was a Charlton Heston marathon. Besides the Ten Commandments and Ben hur I’m not a fan. But those movies were good. All the other movies were too slow and boring. And those movies illustrate just how one dimensional of an actor he was. People loved him and he was a big star but I just don’t like his stuff overall including planet of the apes. Too slow and cheesy. Could have been much better. That’s not his fault though so I’m not knocking his acting I’m knocking his movies.

I’m watching a Humphrey bogart movie the treasure of the Sierra madre. Searching for gold in the Mexican mountains. Great movie so far. I’ve seen him in other movies I like his stuff but I need to see more. It really depends on the plot. I don’t want to see him in a love story with Lauren Bacall. Boring. I remember liking the African queen with Katherine Hepburn because of the setting. Casablanca I remember as being boring but maybe I’d like it now.

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. , dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?
Caine Mutiny is probably Bogart's best. He won an academy award for it and it won best picture but don't expect the Bogart you are use to seeing.

When I first saw Casablanca, I too was pretty bored. However, after seeing it a couple times since every girl I dated in those days seem to love it, I too began to like it. However to really appreciated it you have to know the history.

Creating the film "Casablanca" was filled with so much uncertainty and chaos that the people behind it would probably have never guessed that it would turn out to be one of the greatest motion pictures ever made. Almost everyone in the cast was second or third choice. The studio went through half dozen screenwriters. The movie was nearing completion and no one knew how it was going to end. Many of the most famous lines in the movie were created on the fly such, as "Play it again, Sam. After the filming, and final editing, Hal Walis commented, "I just don't believe it. Nobody thought it would even be completed." Yet it was not only completed, a box office success, but it won 3 academy awards including best picture. On the 75th anniversary of the movie, it held the record for the most run movie on TV. It also is believed to hold the record for the most quoted movie in history.
I think snl made fun of Casablanca last night. Is there a line about “if you need me just whistle. You know how to whistle don’t you? Just put your lips together and blow”?
No. The complete quote is from "To Have and Have Not",
“If you want me, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow."

Bogart and Becall met on the set of "To Have and Have Not", which was based on the Hemingway novel of the same name. As often is the case, the book is better than movie and bears little resemblance, however the movie is well worth seeing if you like Bogart. Critics specifically mentioned Lauren Bacall's performance or the chemistry between Boggie and Bacall on the screen. This is probably why a lot of people watch the movie.

The film also is notable for several other reasons. The screen play was written by William Faulkner. Hoagy Carmichael has a few cameos in which he shows he can act and sing as well as being one of the great song writers of his day. Lauren Bacall's acting style in the Whistle scene was duplicated over and over in 40's movies. It's so outlandish today and over the top, it's downright funny but you can bet it had many a GI, drooling over her in 1943.

Last edited:

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

The real life story of Alvin York is interesting. He received the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking at least one machine gun, killing at least 25 enemy soldiers and capturing 132. I think this is in movie. I don't think the movie goes into his work in increasing educational opportunities in Tennessee but they are certainly notable.
Alvin York - Wikipedia

There are many good movies made about WWII, but there's not many good movies made about the lives of American soldiers and their families when they came home from war. One the best movies on this subject is "The Best Years of Our Lives', winner of 7 academy awards. The movie is probably one of the most realist looks at America in 1946 as it adjusted to peace time. The cast is great and direction is superb. Most of the acting is low key, but very effective. One warning, don't expect an action movie. The action is the hearts and minds of the cast.

If you like Orson Welles movies here are two good ones.

Touch of Evil is a film noir made about murder, kidnapping in a western border town in the 50's. It's also one of Charleston Heston's early films There are 3 different cuts of the film each with different scenes.
Touch of Evil - Wikipedia

Orson Well's plays in the film but it's directed by Carol Reed. What makes this a standout is the camera work, the music, and of course the chase scene through the sewers of Vienna.

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

I just watched the westerner. I enjoyed it. I always love westerns with a corrupt sheriff or judge

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

I just watched the westerner. I enjoyed it. I always love westerns with a corrupt sheriff or judge

I don't remember who played Judge Roy Bean but he was really good. And Gary Cooper was Garry Cooper.

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

I don't remember who played Judge Roy Bean but he was really good. And Gary Cooper was Garry Cooper.

Walter Brennan.

He was in Sgt York too.

I remember him as an older actor. He was on this tv show I was going to quote him as saying “funny thing killing a man. You take away all he’s got and all he’s ever gonna have” but that was William manny. I think Clint Eastwood stole that line. I’ll keep looking

My favorite Orson Welles movie is "The Third Man".
The camera work and music were great. I loved the scene with Welles being chased through sewers with the theme music in the background.

Have you seen The Magnificent Ambersons? It's not what you expect from Welles but it's still a great movie.

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

Walter Brennan.

He was in Sgt York too.

I remember him as an older actor. He was on this tv show I was going to quote him as saying “funny thing killing a man. You take away all he’s got and all he’s ever gonna have” but that was William manny. I think Clint Eastwood stole that line. I’ll keep looking

He was very good in "To Have and Have Not". Even when he was younger he played older characters. He was the epitome of a character actor. He plays almost the same character in every movie.

Last edited:

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

I’m watching the tin man. Ever see it? The lead tough guy is dogwoods boss in blonde. Remember him? It’s a gangster comedy

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

I’m watching the tin man. Ever see it? The lead tough guy is dogwoods boss in blonde. Remember him? It’s a gangster comedy

It this the 1934 Nick and Nora Charles mystery?

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

It this the 1934 Nick and Nora Charles mystery?
Probably. I couldn’t finish it. Boring

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Come on danger

I’m watching the cowboy and the lady with Gary cooper. So far it’s good.

Forum List

Back