Why don't people watch films?

Yes Warren Oates excellent as John Dillinger. One of Humphrey Bogart's low budget films that was a great success was "They Drive By Night" 1940

They Drive by Night - Wikipedia

Well "The Maltese Falcon" was made in actuality one time before John Huston's 1941 version, this in 1931 with Ricardo Cortez as Sam Spade and Bebe Daniels as Brigid O'Shaughnessy who in Huston's 1941 version was played by Mary Astor, this 1931 version in faithful follow Dashiell Hammett's novel. The Bette Davis one you refer this "Satan Met A Lady" it is a loose adaption of "The Maltese Falcon"

Satan Met a Lady - Wikipedia

Great Movie

I’m watching the sheriff of fractured jaw. Great movie. An English gentleman becomes sheriff of a tough western town. Funny how he keeps his British composure in the most stressful situations.

Anyways, it’s my first Jayne Mansfield movie. Holy cow was she built

In the 1950s, Sexpots such such as Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, new film formats like 70mm, and 3D, drive-in B movies, art films, ect. all had one goal, to give audiences what they couldn't get on television. As a result we got some of the worst and a few of best movies of all time.

I’m watching Hombre with Paul Newman and Richard Boone. I loved Richard Boone’s character when he took that mans ticket because the stagecoach was full.

Yes, I thought Boone's performance was the best part of the movie. Newman has had a lot better pictures.

He’s in another one. Rio Conchos. He’s a real bad guy right from the start.

I’m used to him being a good guy in that tv show I used to watch.

I like him better as a bad guy.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Here are the movies I have taped

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Heaven with a barb wired fence
Come on danger

Anybody love or hate any of these?

Sgt York is good film about one most decorated soldiers of WWI. It's a good combination comedy and drama. It won a bunch of academy awards
The Westerner is another good movie for it's time.
The Public Enemy is worth watching to see a young Cagney and Jean Harlow. Don't remember the rest.

I just watched the westerner. I enjoyed it. I always love westerns with a corrupt sheriff or judge

I don't remember who played Judge Roy Bean but he was really good. And Gary Cooper was Garry Cooper.

I’m watching the cowboy and the lady with Gary cooper. So far it’s good.

I enjoyed that one. Gary Cooper made good movies, not that he was a great actor but rather he had a magnetic persona which was always Gary Cooper. He had an interesting history, a cowboy and artist born in Montana with English born parents, raised on a ranch and studied in England. He was twice picked the best dressed man in America by a leading magazine. He was an "Aw-shucks" country boy that became one of the most sophisticated and smartest actors in Hollywood. He is truly an original.

A different kind of role for Cooper was the romantic comedy, "Love in the Afternoon" made in the the 50's. Cooper is an older businessman in Paris playing opposite Audrey Hepburn. The movie would have been a disaster except for the distinctive style of subtle sophisticated slapstick of Billy Wider and performances by Hepburn, Maurice Chevalier and John McGiver.

Wilder's first choice for the leading role was Cary Grant. He should have insisted on Grant because Gary Cooper at 56 was not right for a role as a suave playboy. I enjoyed movie and really liked the music.

Gary Cooper - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Great Movie

I’m watching the sheriff of fractured jaw. Great movie. An English gentleman becomes sheriff of a tough western town. Funny how he keeps his British composure in the most stressful situations.

In the 1950s, Sexpots such such as Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, new film formats like 70mm, and 3D, drive-in B movies, art films, ect. all had one goal, to give audiences what they couldn't get on television. As a result we got some of the worst and a few of best movies of all time.

I’m watching Hombre with Paul Newman and Richard Boone. I loved Richard Boone’s character when he took that mans ticket because the stagecoach was full.

Yes, I thought Boone's performance was the best part of the movie. Newman has had a lot better pictures.

Boone was good. Seen better westerns but it was pretty good.

Boone was good. Seen better westerns but it was pretty good.
Go to 1:50 in and see Boone take the soldiers seat on the stagecoach.

What a jerk. LOL

If you like Boone you should take a look at Have Gun Will Travel, a 50’s TV Western that made him a nationwide star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like Boone you should take a look at Have Gun Will Travel, a 50’s TV Western that made him a nationwide star.

That’s the show I used to watch him in. Yes I like him but I like him better as a bad guy.

Right now I’m watching Christopher Columbus 1949 film.

Can you imagine it was the late 1400s

The rich lived pretty well in the 1400s. Minus electricity, medicine, motor vehicles, television, internet. A lot has changed in 500 years but still people pretty much were the same back then.

That’s the show I used to watch him in. Yes I like him but I like him better as a bad guy.

The rich lived pretty well in the 1400s. Minus electricity, medicine, motor vehicles, television, internet. A lot has changed in 500 years but still people pretty much were the same back then.

Just about any age is good if you're in the 1%. The movie has an interesting sidebar:
The Sea part of the movie was filmed in Barbabos.
The replica of the Santa Maria broke its moorings during a squall in the West Indies and drifted for two nights and a day with crew on board before it was rescued. Then a fire broke out and the ship was burnt. It had to be completely rebuilt at a cost of £100,000 because scenes set on it had yet to be shot. Fredic March collapsed one day after shooting due to a heatstroke which delayed the production for days. A new subplot had to be added towards the end of shooting involving the romance between Columbus and the sister of his lieutenant. The Movie lost a lot of money.

I've never like the Christopher Columbus tale. In fact, there are only a few sea fairing movies that I really enjoyed.

Down to Sea in Ships (1949). It's a simple story of a Whaling ship captain, Lionel Barrymore who takes his grandson, Dean Stockwell on a whaling expedition in order to teach the young boy real life values such as honesty, courage, wisdom, fairness and hard work. However it is the First Mate, Richard Widmark who teaches him about life.

Also, Master and Commander, 2003 and Das Boot, a 1981 German submarine warfare film.

Just about any age is good if you're in the 1%. The movie has an interesting sidebar:
The replica of the Santa Maria broke its moorings during a squall in the West Indies and drifted for two nights and a day with crew on board before it was rescued. Then a fire broke out and the ship was burnt. It had to be completely rebuilt at a cost of £100,000 because scenes set on it had yet to be shot. Fredic March collapsed one day after shooting due to a heatstroke which delayed the production for days. A new subplot had to be added towards the end of shooting involving the romance between Columbus and the sister of his lieutenant. The Movie lost a lot of money.

I've never like the Christopher Columbus tale. In fact, there are only a few sea fairing movies that I really enjoyed.

Down to Sea in Ships (1949). It's a simple story of a Whaling ship captain, Lionel Barrymore who takes his grandson, Dean Stockwell on a whaling expedition in order to teach the young boy real life values such as honesty, courage, wisdom, fairness and hard work. However it is the First Mate, Richard Widmark who teaches him about life.

Also, Master and Commander, 2003 and Das Boot, a 1981 German submarine warfare film.

I saw this good old movie where the rich kid got stuck on a fishing boat for 3 months and they made a man out of him.

Earlier today I saw a film critic tweet a review for a movie that either came out today or is coming out soon and it starred famous people and I was like “didn’t know about this! Can’t wait!” I have forgotten every single detail about this film. Nothing on Fandango rings a bell!

I think it was maybe a thriller? Did I dream this? (I am not thinking of the Ben Affleck Netflix heist film which I thought was ok)

I saw this good old movie where the rich kid got stuck on a fishing boat for 3 months and they made a man out of him.

Captains Courageous, a novel by Rudyard Kipling made into a movie with Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew, and Lionel Barrymore in 1937. It won several academy awards. A nice movie

Earlier today I saw a film critic tweet a review for a movie that either came out today or is coming out soon and it starred famous people and I was like “didn’t know about this! Can’t wait!” I have forgotten every single detail about this film. Nothing on Fandango rings a bell!

I think it was maybe a thriller? Did I dream this? (I am not thinking of the Ben Affleck Netflix heist film which I thought was ok)
I'd looked for it but that's much to go on.

Captains Courageous, a novel by Rudyard Kipling made into a movie with Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew, and Lionel Barrymore in 1937. It won several academy awards. A nice movie

I couldn’t think of his name. Spencer Tracy.

It was a good movie but academy award? I don’t think so.

It didn't win best picture or actor. As child actors go, I never liked Freddie Bartholomew. I preferred Dean Stockwell in Down to the Sea in Ships.

It didn't win best picture or actor. As child actors go, I never liked Freddie Bartholomew. I preferred Dean Stockwell in Down to the Sea in Ships.

I want to thank you for talking about something other than politics.

I want to suggest a funny movie that really is a classic even though it was made in 1974. Young Frankenstein.

I just saw blazing saddles recently and that use to be my favorite Mel brooks movie but now young Frankenstein is. Terri Garr and madalyn Kahn.

Blazing saddles isn’t as good as I remember but young Frankenstein is better

I want to suggest a funny movie that really is a classic even though it was made in 1974. Young Frankenstein.

I just saw blazing saddles recently and that use to be my favorite Mel brooks movie but now young Frankenstein is. Terri Garr and madalyn Kahn.

I think Young Frankenstein is probably one the funniest movies I have every seen, probably the best movie Gene Wider has ever made.

It's a shame more people on the Political forum don't spend more time on the other USMB forums. Too much time spent on politics will rot your brains.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

I think Young Frankenstein is probably one the funniest movies I have every seen, probably the best movie Gene Wider has ever made.

It's a shame more people on the Political forum don't spend more time on the other USMB forums. Too much time spent on politics will rot your brains.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

Mark Twain was okay.

I watched another newer version of three musketeers. The older one was better. One was probably 40s the newer one probably 50s. The guy who played dark tanyan in the new one over the top or wasn’t good looking enough. And they didn’t improve on the older version just sort of repeated it.

I have seen a million previews in my life that looked great and then I don’t recall what they were or if I ever saw the movie. I just remember saying, “I’d see that”

I can’t remember the last time I saw a preview sitting in a movie theater and then later saw that movie. I’m sure I’ve seen some of them I just don’t remember that I saw a preview first. That must be the case. I should write them down.

It’s also possible some of them never get made or finished? I would assume if they’re showing us a preview the movie is a done deal.

I have seen a million previews in my life that looked great and then I don’t recall what they were or if I ever saw the movie. I just remember saying, “I’d see that”

I can’t remember the last time I saw a preview sitting in a movie theater and then later saw that movie. I’m sure I’ve seen some of them I just don’t remember that I saw a preview first. That must be the case. I should write them down.

It’s also possible some of them never get made or finished? I would assume if they’re showing us a preview the movie is a done deal.
I think today, anything that has a preview is completed. However, many previews are released before the final cut is determined. In some cases, a the final product is delayed for any number of reasons. I remember several movies scheduled to come out just after 911 were shelved for several years.

Back in the 30's when movies took weeks instead of months or years to complete and crew sizes were 50 to 100 people instead of 500 to 3000, studios would release teasers of movies on the drawing board to get audience reactions.

Forum List

Back