Why don't people watch films?

After 70 years years of watching every genre and best films to the worst films, I've found the most rewarding films are those with strong character development. They can be action movies, romances, comedies, or dramas it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the actor creates a three dimensional character with a rich back story, not a cliche, a caricature, or a thin external representation of someone who barely resembles a human being. If the combination of script, direction, and acting create a real person on the screen, the audience will become involved and the movie is much more likely to be successful.
Since having this conversation I’ve taped a bunch of old movies. Movies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise. There was a Charlton Heston marathon. Besides the Ten Commandments and Ben hur I’m not a fan. But those movies were good. All the other movies were too slow and boring. And those movies illustrate just how one dimensional of an actor he was. People loved him and he was a big star but I just don’t like his stuff overall including planet of the apes. Too slow and cheesy. Could have been much better. That’s not his fault though so I’m not knocking his acting I’m knocking his movies.

I’m watching a Humphrey bogart movie the treasure of the Sierra madre. Searching for gold in the Mexican mountains. Great movie so far. I’ve seen him in other movies I like his stuff but I need to see more. It really depends on the plot. I don’t want to see him in a love story with Lauren Bacall. Boring. I remember liking the African queen with Katherine Hepburn because of the setting. Casablanca I remember as being boring but maybe I’d like it now.

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. Beat the devil, dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?

"The African Queen" in my opinion a VERY boring film seen once do not want to watch again.

Re. Humphrey Bogart films I recommend:

"Key Largo" 1948:

Key Largo (film) - Wikipedia

"The Roaring Twenties" 1939:

The Roaring Twenties - Wikipedia

"Angels With Dirty Faces" 1938:

Angels with Dirty Faces - Wikipedia

"High Sierra" 1941:

High Sierra (film) - Wikipedia

"The Maltese Falcon" 1941:

The Maltese Falcon (1941 film) - Wikipedia

"The Two Mrs. Carrolls" 1947:

The Two Mrs. Carrolls - Wikipedia

"Dark Passage" 1947:

Dark Passage (film) - Wikipedia

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

Beat the Devil (film) - Wikipedia

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

The Big Sleep (1946 film) - Wikipedia

"The Enforcer" (sometimes called "Murder Inc.") 1951:

The Enforcer (1951 film) - Wikipedia

"The Harder They Fall" 1956 this Humphrey Bogart's final film, excellent involving gangsters and boxing:

The Harder They Fall - Wikipedia
I’m watching the Maltese falcon. It doesn’t make sense. Over acting. Ridiculous. All over the place.

He keeps pushing that crazy guy with the gun. He’s so sure of himself.

I’m only still watching to see how it ends but so far not good.

Who did it? Who’s telling the truth? What is the truth? Is he a good guy or bad guy?

I find myself lost and a little annoyed at the whole thing. Lol

must be referring to Elisha Cook Jr.

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

One of my favorite pyschos
This movie sucked. The best part was the end. Not the ending but when the movie ended. Lol

Considering most consider it a classic, I'd say you're in the minority

I saw the movie last year on TV.
The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

I think the best action movies of the 60's were
Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
The Dirty Dozen

However, I the best movies of 60's weren't action movies. My favorites were:
The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day
A lot of slow movies but I like a lot of them.
After 70 years years of watching every genre and best films to the worst films, I've found the most rewarding films are those with strong character development. They can be action movies, romances, comedies, or dramas it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the actor creates a three dimensional character with a rich back story, not a cliche, a caricature, or a thin external representation of someone who barely resembles a human being. If the combination of script, direction, and acting create a real person on the screen, the audience will become involved and the movie is much more likely to be successful.
Since having this conversation I’ve taped a bunch of old movies. Movies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise. There was a Charlton Heston marathon. Besides the Ten Commandments and Ben hur I’m not a fan. But those movies were good. All the other movies were too slow and boring. And those movies illustrate just how one dimensional of an actor he was. People loved him and he was a big star but I just don’t like his stuff overall including planet of the apes. Too slow and cheesy. Could have been much better. That’s not his fault though so I’m not knocking his acting I’m knocking his movies.

I’m watching a Humphrey bogart movie the treasure of the Sierra madre. Searching for gold in the Mexican mountains. Great movie so far. I’ve seen him in other movies I like his stuff but I need to see more. It really depends on the plot. I don’t want to see him in a love story with Lauren Bacall. Boring. I remember liking the African queen with Katherine Hepburn because of the setting. Casablanca I remember as being boring but maybe I’d like it now.

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. Beat the devil, dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?

"The African Queen" in my opinion a VERY boring film seen once do not want to watch again.

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

"The Harder They Fall" 1956 this Humphrey Bogart's final film, excellent involving gangsters and boxing:

I’m watching the Maltese falcon. It doesn’t make sense. Over acting. Ridiculous. All over the place.

Who did it? Who’s telling the truth? What is the truth? Is he a good guy or bad guy?

Which version did you see 1931, 1836, or 1941. It was also made as a comic sequel in 1946. I saw the 41 version and the 1936 version. The movies were typical detective stories of that era. The closer you get to the silent film era the more overacting you see.

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

Why did he let the fat man take the money?

Too many names to remember who is who.

Jackabby and Thursby Wilma cook. Casper gutman. Cairo. Miles. Floyd.

Why is he even thinking about loving her? She’s not even that hot.

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

Which version did you see 1931, 1836, or 1941. It was also made as comic sequel in 1946. I saw the 41 version and the 1936 version. The movies were typical detective stories of that era. The closer you get to the silent film era the more overacting you see.

I would watch the other ones just to compare them to this one.

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

This movie sucked. The best part was the end. Not the ending but when the movie ended. Lol

If you like that kind of acting sure. But people don’t talk that way. And they were so over dramatic.

Not really much happened. Why or how did he even get involved in the first place? The killer, the woman, hires him? Then kills his partner? Why? Who had the Maltese falcon? How did they get it? Who brought it to them? Who was holding it all the time? Can you explain all this or were you just easily amused?

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

If you like that kind of acting sure. But people don’t talk that way. And they were so over dramatic.

Not really much happened. Why or how did he even get involved in the first place? The killer, the woman, hires him? Then kills his partner? Why? Who had the Maltese falcon? How did they get it? Who brought it to them? Who was holding it all the time? Can you explain all this or were you just easily amused?

But people don’t talk that way. And they were so over dramatic.

people don't talk that way?

What way?

Over dramatic?

not really.

as to the rest, did you watch it, or sleep through it?

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

What way?

Over dramatic?

not really.

Hes' just a troll. Pay no attention to him. He's never been anything else. Too stupid to mange variety.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Here are the movies I have taped

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Heaven with a barb wired fence
Come on danger

Anybody love or hate any of these?

Sgt York is good film about one most decorated soldiers of WWI. It's a good combination comedy and drama. It won a bunch of academy awards
The Westerner is another good movie for it's time.
The Public Enemy is worth watching to see a young Cagney and Jean Harlow. Don't remember the rest.

The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

The Maltese falcon and the harder they fall came up on my search so I recorded them.

I did not tape Sabrina and the barefoot contessa because you didn’t recommend them. If the premise looked interesting I would have taped them but they look like chick flicks. If you said they were good movies I’d take the chance.

The African queen may not have been a great movie but I seemed to be entertained. Like I said the premise is important to me. Out in the African wilderness. Sounds adventurous.

Did you like treasure of the Sierra madre?
Treasure of the Sierra Madre is an excellent movie. I love the ending.
If you're talking about the 1954 release of Sabrina and you like Audrey Hepburn and Bogart you will probably like the movie. The later version with Harrison Ford is not that good, IMHO.

Yes Warren Oates excellent as John Dillinger. One of Humphrey Bogart's low budget films that was a great success was "They Drive By Night" 1940

They Drive by Night - Wikipedia

Well "The Maltese Falcon" was made in actuality one time before John Huston's 1941 version, this in 1931 with Ricardo Cortez as Sam Spade and Bebe Daniels as Brigid O'Shaughnessy who in Huston's 1941 version was played by Mary Astor, this 1931 version in faithful follow Dashiell Hammett's novel. The Bette Davis one you refer this "Satan Met A Lady" it is a loose adaption of "The Maltese Falcon"

Satan Met a Lady - Wikipedia

Great Movie

I just saw it and enjoyed it.

Right now I’m watching King Solomon’s mine with Stewart granger. Was he a big name back then? I like it. It would be exciting to go to Africa back in the 1800s or early 1900s.

Many years ago I read King Solomon's Mine but never saw the movie. How was it?

Decent movie, and, for his time, Granger was a decent actor.

Odd fact

Stewart Granger was his stage name, He couldn't use his birth name, because an actor was already using it.

His birth name was...…..

James Stewart

The host on tcm said of all the remakes this is the best one. Richard chamberland and Sharon Stone tried to remake it in the 80s. Some guy named David mccallum tried King Solomon’s treasures in 1979. Then some sequels but none of them good as the original.

Those were real Africans. You got the sense you were really in Africa.

What an exotic place

I enjoyed King Solomon's Mines. However, I thought the ending was a bit flat. It just seem to end.

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

In 1989, The Maltese Falcon was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" It's a good movie but the plot is pretty worn. It was remade a number times and the plot has been used a number times in movies. The twists in ending make the movie.

Older films tend to be slower and younger people get impatient. Film buffs understand why these films are slow developing. In most of the better older drama, the director is developing his characters so the audience understands the feelings and motives of the characters. In most older dramas, the action is what occurs between the characters. In those days they didn't have special effects, dolby sound or even color so the director had to make his audience feel the hate, love, joy, sorrow of the characters. And that is done by acting, something we don't see a lot of in movies today.
Well I watched this old movie that looked like it would be good. It was like a James Bond but not as much action. Too much slow boring talking scenes. Not enough fighting and interesting things going on. Car chases that went no where. They should have just killed him but for some reason they didn’t. He was an American spy in Germany and everyone seemed to know it. Even the bad guys.

The Quiller Memorandum. Watch it and tell me quinton terrantino wouldn’t have made a much more interesting movie. Well the truth is this is what a lot of movies were like back then. You can make excuses for them but the truth is that was a time when movies weren’t very good.

Like I said in my previous post watch journey to the center of the earth and Indiana Jones and you’ll see how far movies have come even without the special effects Indiana Jones is a much more fast paced action movie. The producers and directors in the past didn’t do a good job.

I know what you’re saying about developing characters and all that but for god sakes speed it up.

And now that I think about it quinton Tarantino tends to let his scenes drag on too but at least you can tell someone’s about to get fucked up. Lol

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. , dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?
Caine Mutiny is probably Bogart's best. He won an academy award for it and it won best picture but don't expect the Bogart you are use to seeing.

When I first saw Casablanca, I too was pretty bored. However, after seeing it a couple times since every girl I dated in those days seem to love it, I too began to like it. However to really appreciated it you have to know the history.

Creating the film "Casablanca" was filled with so much uncertainty and chaos that the people behind it would probably have never guessed that it would turn out to be one of the greatest motion pictures ever made. Almost everyone in the cast was second or third choice. The studio went through half dozen screenwriters. The movie was nearing completion and no one knew how it was going to end. Many of the most famous lines in the movie were created on the fly such, as "Play it again, Sam. After the filming, and final editing, Hal Walis commented, "I just don't believe it. Nobody thought it would even be completed." Yet it was not only completed, a box office success, but it won 3 academy awards including best picture. On the 75th anniversary of the movie, it held the record for the most run movie on TV. It also is believed to hold the record for the most quoted movie in history.

Last edited:

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

It's been a few years since I saw the movie but as remember, the Russians had falcon after the greek. Brigid O'Shaughnessy managed to get the falcon from the Russians. She had seduced Captain Jacobi and hide the Falcon with him. Later, Brigid O'Shaughnessy instructed Jacobi to deliver the package to Spade. Once Gutman learned of this fact, he attempted to remove Spade from the situation with the spiked drink. Wilmer managed to shoot the captain, but Jacobi still got to Spade's office to deliver the figurine. After finishing his story, Gutman warns Spade to be very careful with Brigid O'Shaughnessy as she is not to be trusted.

Spade places a call to his secretary, Effie, and asks her to go the office and pick up the figurine. Effie brings it to Spade's apartment, and Spade hands the package to Gutman, who at this time is overwhelmed with excitement. He checks the figurine, but quickly learns that it is a fake. He realizes with dismay that the Russian must have discovered the true value of the falcon and made a copy. During this time, Wilmer manages to escape from Spade's apartment. etc...

The author of the book, Dashiell Hammett was known for his often intricate plots. The reader is suppose to figure it all out which can be done in books but in a movie often that's not possible because the viewer is not concentrating on the plot because his attention is drawn to the actors, and the scenes and the action. If you think Falcon is confusing, it's nothing compared to some of the dramatized English mysteries with dozens of characters and plot twists.
The Maltese Falcon (1941) - Plot Summary - IMDb

Last edited:

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

What way?

Over dramatic?

not really.

Hes' just a troll. Pay no attention to him. He's never been anything else. Too stupid to mange variety.
Why do you have to be a dick? Can I not express my opinion? I was hoping someone with knowledge of this type of movie would come back and explain why the dialog is so unusual.

I was thinking about this last night. Maybe there’s a book and the movie was made for people who have read the book.

Anyways, I’m offended that you have brought this political bullshit over to the tv forum. You must be a little bitch. You can go back and read all my posts here in this thread and see I’m not trolling.

But looks like you are. Fuck off douche bag loser

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Here are the movies I have taped

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Heaven with a barb wired fence
Come on danger

Anybody love or hate any of these?

Sgt York is good film about one most decorated soldiers of WWI. It's a good combination comedy and drama. It won a bunch of academy awards
The Westerner is another good movie for it's time.
The Public Enemy is worth watching to see a young Cagney and Jean Harlow. Don't remember the rest.

I have sgt York and the westerner. I’ll watch stag York first. Thanks.

Well I watched this old movie that looked like it would be good. It was like a James Bond but not as much action. Too much slow boring talking scenes. Not enough fighting and interesting things going on. Car chases that went no where. They should have just killed him but for some reason they didn’t. He was an American spy in Germany and everyone seemed to know it. Even the bad guys.

The Quiller Memorandum. Watch it and tell me quinton terrantino wouldn’t have made a much more interesting movie. Well the truth is this is what a lot of movies were like back then. You can make excuses for them but the truth is that was a time when movies weren’t very good.

Like I said in my previous post watch journey to the center of the earth and Indiana Jones and you’ll see how far movies have come even without the special effects Indiana Jones is a much more fast paced action movie. The producers and directors in the past didn’t do a good job.

I know what you’re saying about developing characters and all that but for god sakes speed it up.

And now that I think about it quinton Tarantino tends to let his scenes drag on too but at least you can tell someone’s about to get fucked up. Lol

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. , dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?
Caine Mutiny is probably Bogart's best. He won an academy award for it and it won best picture but don't expect the Bogart you are use to seeing.

When I first saw Casablanca, I too was pretty bored. However, after seeing it a couple times since every girl I dated in those days seem to love it, I too began to like it. However to really appreciated it you have to know the history.

Creating the film "Casablanca" was filled with so much uncertainty and chaos that the people behind it would probably have never guessed that it would turn out to be one of the greatest motion pictures ever made. Almost everyone in the cast was second or third choice. The studio went through half dozen screenwriters. The movie was nearing completion and no one knew how it was going to end. Many of the most famous lines in the movie were created on the fly such, as "Play it again, Sam. After the filming, and final editing, Hal Walis commented, "I just don't believe it. Nobody thought it would even be completed." Yet it was not only completed, a box office success, but it won 3 academy awards including best picture. On the 75th anniversary of the movie, it held the record for the most run movie on TV. It also is believed to hold the record for the most quoted movie in history.
I think snl made fun of Casablanca last night. Is there a line about “if you need me just whistle. You know how to whistle don’t you? Just put your lips together and blow”?

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

What way?

Over dramatic?

not really.

Can you defend the Maltese falcon in an intelligent way? Or explain why you loved it so much? Then you are the troll.

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

It's been a few years since I saw the movie but as remember, the Russians had falcon after the greek. Brigid O'Shaughnessy managed to get the falcon from the Russians. She had seduced Captain Jacobi and hide the Falcon with him. Later, Brigid O'Shaughnessy instructed Jacobi to deliver the package to Spade. Once Gutman learned of this fact, he attempted to remove Spade from the situation with the spiked drink. Wilmer managed to shoot the captain, but Jacobi still got to Spade's office to deliver the figurine. After finishing his story, Gutman warns Spade to be very careful with Brigid O'Shaughnessy as she is not to be trusted.

Spade places a call to his secretary, Effie, and asks her to go the office and pick up the figurine. Effie brings it to Spade's apartment, and Spade hands the package to Gutman, who at this time is overwhelmed with excitement. He checks the figurine, but quickly learns that it is a fake. He realizes with dismay that the Russian must have discovered the true value of the falcon and made a copy. During this time, Wilmer manages to escape from Spade's apartment. etc...

The author of the book, Dashiell Hammett was known for his often intricate plots. The reader is suppose to figure it all out which can be done in books but in a movie often that's not possible because the viewer is not concentrating on the plot because his attention is drawn to the actors, and the scenes and the action. If you think Falcon is confusing, it's nothing compared to some of the dramatized English mysteries with dozens of characters and plot twists.
The Maltese Falcon (1941) - Plot Summary - IMDb
Picaro is so dumb he thought I was trolling. Your reply was exactly what I was looking for. He could never explain what you just did.

I’m sure drama programs in college dissect and study the thought that went into making a movie like this.

I figured this might have been a book before it was a movie. These are always hard because you have to try and make them good for people who didn’t read the book too

Like I don’t enjoy Tim burton movies but I’m sure some people really appreciate it.

I did think when I was watching the Maltese falcon that it would have been difficult to act that out. Bogart is a good actor. I just didn’t love the movie. Sorry picaro.

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

I think snl made fun of Casablanca last night. Is there a line about “if you need me just whistle. You know how to whistle don’t you? Just put your lips together and blow”?

To Have and Have Not (1944) - IMDb

Forum List

Back