Why don't people watch films?

Old movies were the products of a factory system, with budgets and formula writing dominating the film making. Some became classics by pure accident. Great films weren't really done on purpose until the 'Studio system' died out, but the the costs soared as well and fewer and fewer films had more than one 'star quality' actor in them. These days, films are aimed mostly at kids, same as 'westerns' and action films in the earlier eras were. They're deliberately planned out to maximize all manner of 'profit centers' , like toys, clothes, etc, or 'action films', aimed at the rental markets. Most of the 'serious' films aimed at adults are mostly vanity films, stories a producer or director wanted to make and had the means to raise the money and attract the actors they need; few of them are 'successful' in Hollywood terms. Those get made because it's tough to keep screens going with just the big Star Wars type stuff, since those take a long time to put together and some filler is needed, plus the 'made for TV' satellite and cable companies need many many hours of filler as well, and some of those turn out to be enduring and good as well, again for the same the reasons the old 'Studio System' managed to turn out something excellent once in a while. Some directors are just better and more consistent than others, same with actors.
I agree when I was a kid all the older movies bored me. CGI might have helped.

Remember bill Kennedy on sundays? God those movies sucked.

And back then you got one movie a week. Now we have turner classic movies all day.

Stand By Me is one all Americans should see.

Also: To Kill a Mockingbird.

ugh...
What are your favorites? Of course you probably haven’t named one movie. So typical of you to bash someone elses opinion but not have one yourself...other than you don’t like his opinion.

So you aren’t just an asshole in the political and race forums. You’re an asshole everywhere.

In real life I’m certain too.

Warren Oates as Dillinger was among the best 'gangster' roles on film, with several other fine roles in that movie as well. It managed to surpass its 'B movie' budget, as did many of Bogart's movies that no one expected would become 'classics'.

Re The Maltese Falcon, it had been made twice, one with Bettie Davis in it, before the Bogart remake version came out. The third one clicked at the box office, though.

Yes Warren Oates excellent as John Dillinger. One of Humphrey Bogart's low budget films that was a great success was "They Drive By Night" 1940

They Drive by Night - Wikipedia

Well "The Maltese Falcon" was made in actuality one time before John Huston's 1941 version, this in 1931 with Ricardo Cortez as Sam Spade and Bebe Daniels as Brigid O'Shaughnessy who in Huston's 1941 version was played by Mary Astor, this 1931 version in faithful follow Dashiell Hammett's novel. The Bette Davis one you refer this "Satan Met A Lady" it is a loose adaption of "The Maltese Falcon"

Satan Met a Lady - Wikipedia

Great Movie

I’m watching the sheriff of fractured jaw. Great movie. An English gentleman becomes sheriff of a tough western town. Funny how he keeps his British composure in the most stressful situations.

Anyways, it’s my first Jayne Mansfield movie. Holy cow was she built

Old movies were the products of a factory system, with budgets and formula writing dominating the film making. Some became classics by pure accident. Great films weren't really done on purpose until the 'Studio system' died out, but the the costs soared as well and fewer and fewer films had more than one 'star quality' actor in them. These days, films are aimed mostly at kids, same as 'westerns' and action films in the earlier eras were. They're deliberately planned out to maximize all manner of 'profit centers' , like toys, clothes, etc, or 'action films', aimed at the rental markets. Most of the 'serious' films aimed at adults are mostly vanity films, stories a producer or director wanted to make and had the means to raise the money and attract the actors they need; few of them are 'successful' in Hollywood terms. Those get made because it's tough to keep screens going with just the big Star Wars type stuff, since those take a long time to put together and some filler is needed, plus the 'made for TV' satellite and cable companies need many many hours of filler as well, and some of those turn out to be enduring and good as well, again for the same the reasons the old 'Studio System' managed to turn out something excellent once in a while. Some directors are just better and more consistent than others, same with actors.
There are in excess of 60,000 commercial films that have been made in English and run in the major outlets. I think the number of films is probably much higher because this ignores films made for TV, streaming services, limited distributions, and lost films. Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation claims that "half of all American films made before 1950 and over 90% of films made before 1929 are lost forever." If this is correct, the actually number is probably over 100,000. Out of all those movies, I suspect the average movie goer wouldn't find more than 100 that he or she would consider truly great movies.

In regard to old movies from the 30's, acting was often much different than today. The fact that so many major movies stars cut their teeth in silent movies, burlesque, and theater where body language often replaced or amplified the spoken word, roles seem to be over acted compared to today. I think this is one of the things that makes these movies seem so dated. Thankfully that disappeared by the 40's.

Last edited:
Warren Oates as Dillinger was among the best 'gangster' roles on film, with several other fine roles in that movie as well. It managed to surpass its 'B movie' budget, as did many of Bogart's movies that no one expected would become 'classics'.

Re The Maltese Falcon, it had been made twice, one with Bettie Davis in it, before the Bogart remake version came out. The third one clicked at the box office, though.

Yes Warren Oates excellent as John Dillinger. One of Humphrey Bogart's low budget films that was a great success was "They Drive By Night" 1940

Well "The Maltese Falcon" was made in actuality one time before John Huston's 1941 version, this in 1931 with Ricardo Cortez as Sam Spade and Bebe Daniels as Brigid O'Shaughnessy who in Huston's 1941 version was played by Mary Astor, this 1931 version in faithful follow Dashiell Hammett's novel. The Bette Davis one you refer this "Satan Met A Lady" it is a loose adaption of "The Maltese Falcon"

Great Movie

I’m watching the sheriff of fractured jaw. Great movie. An English gentleman becomes sheriff of a tough western town. Funny how he keeps his British composure in the most stressful situations.

In the 1950s, Sexpots such such as Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, new film formats like 70mm, and 3D, drive-in B movies, art films, ect. all had one goal, to give audiences what they couldn't get on television. As a result we got some of the worst and a few of best movies of all time.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Here are the movies I have taped

Rio conchos
Sierra baron
They were expendable
Sgt york
The public enemy
The westerner
The cowboy and the lady
The tin man
Heaven with a barb wired fence
Come on danger

Anybody love or hate any of these?

Great Movie

In the 1950s, Sexpots such such as Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, new film formats like 70mm, and 3D, drive-in B movies, art films, ect. all had one goal, to give audiences what they couldn't get on television. As a result we got some of the worst and a few of best movies of all time.

I’m watching Hombre with Paul Newman and Richard Boone. I loved Richard Boone’s character when he took that mans ticket because the stagecoach was full.

Re Silent Films', the best ones were wore out, so ironically the ones in the best shape today are the ones that sucked. Very few silents were very good, they didn't have to be, so the comedies get the most play, since they're mostly visual and much better adapted to the silents than dramas and the like were; Buster Keaton's comedies are the real standouts, better than Chaplin's imo... I've studied the early film industry to some extent, and except for a few you're not really missing much as far as quality goes, so unless you're just a hobbyist who like seeing the evolution of cameras, shots, and techniques as well as the business side of the movie industry, there isn't much to awe one re silents; if it weren't for WW I, the Italians and French would probably dominate; the French in fact practically invented the business, and for years Pathe produced the best films and dominated the American market as well.

ugh...

So you aren’t just an asshole in the political and race forums. You’re an asshole everywhere.

Quit yer bellyachin’, bitch.

The only movie worth seeing is The Quiet Man.

I just saw it the other day. It was ok. Probably resonates with you more because you are Irish.

I like it when that guy tried to fight him but he just made him look foolish.

And I liked the big fight scene at the end. The guy kept asking John Wayne if he had enough when John Wayne was kicking his ass the entire time.

I can't believe this one an oscar. It wasn't that good.

John Wayne cast Maureen O'Hara in a lot of his movies. I wonder why. Reminds me of how Clinton Eastwood would cast this woman in a lot of his movies
upload_2019-2-28_10-54-32.jpeg

He must have been banging her.

ugh...

I just saw it the other day. It was ok. Probably resonates with you more because you are Irish.

And I liked the big fight scene at the end. The guy kept asking John Wayne if he had enough when John Wayne was kicking his ass the entire time.

John Wayne cast Maureen O'Hara in a lot of his movies. I wonder why. Reminds me of how Clinton Eastwood would cast this woman in a lot of his movies
View attachment 248132

Wallace Beery and Marjorie Main made a lot of pictures together.

They couldn't stand each other.

But they had great chemistry on screen.

Wayne and O'Hara had great chemistry on screen.

Doesn't mean they were 'banging' each other.

ugh...

View attachment 248132

Except for they were

A new biography of Western legend John Wayne alleges there was a skirt-chasing side to the famous cinema cowboy, who had three wives and had numerous love affairs, including one with his ‘Quiet Man’ co-star Maureen O’Hara.

In the book “John Wayne: The Life and Legend,” author Scott Eyman says Wayne had a three-year affair with Marlene Dietrich, but his romance with longtime friend Maureen O’Hara lasted even longer.

same with

Sondra Locke: a charismatic performer defined by a toxic relationship with Clint Eastwood

And please. Don't show me an ugly couple. I'm sure Fred and Ethel never fucked either. But interesting Ricky was fucking Lucy.

66d918eb0bb5bdcaa9818832c235bdde.jpg

Can you think of any other men/women stage couples that weren't fucking?

Wallace Beery and Marjorie Main seem to be the only that come to mind.

View attachment 248132

Except for they were

A new biography of Western legend John Wayne alleges there was a skirt-chasing side to the famous cinema cowboy, who had three wives and had numerous love affairs, including one with his ‘Quiet Man’ co-star Maureen O’Hara.

In the book “John Wayne: The Life and Legend,” author Scott Eyman says Wayne had a three-year affair with Marlene Dietrich, but his romance with longtime friend Maureen O’Hara lasted even longer.

same with

Sondra Locke: a charismatic performer defined by a toxic relationship with Clint Eastwood

And please. Don't show me an ugly couple. I'm sure Fred and Ethel never fucked either. But interesting Ricky was fucking Lucy.

But interesting Ricky was fucking Lucy.

something a husband and wife have a tendency to do

Great Movie

I’m watching Hombre with Paul Newman and Richard Boone. I loved Richard Boone’s character when he took that mans ticket because the stagecoach was full.

Yes, I thought Boone's performance was the best part of the movie. Newman has had a lot better pictures.

View attachment 248132

Except for they were

same with

William Powell and Myrna Loy for one

ugh...

View attachment 248132

Lovers on the screen are not a good indication that they are lovers in real life. There are of course actors whose screen personality is the same as their real life personality but that's rare. Like professional sports, it's a job. Bogart said his contracts were for 9 to 5, 5 days a week. Except on location, he never worked on weekends and often brought his lunch to the set.

Sex scenes are typically much different from the real thing. They tend to be award and certainly not very sexy. A 30 second sex scene is likely to take all day. Actors where cock socks, women have pasties and fake public hair. Actually penetration rarely occurs. They spray their bodies with glycerin and water to simulate sweat. Doubles are often used for various parts of the scene. For example two actors might have an intimate get together with a director barking out instructions, lights and two cameras positioned within two feet of them. Then they break for lunch when body doubles do a little simulated pumping and grinding and so forth. A common practice is have the the female sit on an excise ball and bounce up and down moaning and groaning as glycerin and water drips off her body.

Last edited:
Well I watched this old movie that looked like it would be good. It was like a James Bond but not as much action. Too much slow boring talking scenes. Not enough fighting and interesting things going on. Car chases that went no where. They should have just killed him but for some reason they didn’t. He was an American spy in Germany and everyone seemed to know it. Even the bad guys.

The Quiller Memorandum. Watch it and tell me quinton terrantino wouldn’t have made a much more interesting movie. Well the truth is this is what a lot of movies were like back then. You can make excuses for them but the truth is that was a time when movies weren’t very good.

Like I said in my previous post watch journey to the center of the earth and Indiana Jones and you’ll see how far movies have come even without the special effects Indiana Jones is a much more fast paced action movie. The producers and directors in the past didn’t do a good job.

I know what you’re saying about developing characters and all that but for god sakes speed it up.

And now that I think about it quinton Tarantino tends to let his scenes drag on too but at least you can tell someone’s about to get fucked up. Lol
I saw the movie last year on TV.
The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

I think the best action movies of the 60's were
Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
The Dirty Dozen

However, I the best movies of 60's weren't action movies. My favorites were:
The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day
A lot of slow movies but I like a lot of them.
After 70 years years of watching every genre and best films to the worst films, I've found the most rewarding films are those with strong character development. They can be action movies, romances, comedies, or dramas it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the actor creates a three dimensional character with a rich back story, not a cliche, a caricature, or a thin external representation of someone who barely resembles a human being. If the combination of script, direction, and acting create a real person on the screen, the audience will become involved and the movie is much more likely to be successful.
Since having this conversation I’ve taped a bunch of old movies. Movies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise. There was a Charlton Heston marathon. Besides the Ten Commandments and Ben hur I’m not a fan. But those movies were good. All the other movies were too slow and boring. And those movies illustrate just how one dimensional of an actor he was. People loved him and he was a big star but I just don’t like his stuff overall including planet of the apes. Too slow and cheesy. Could have been much better. That’s not his fault though so I’m not knocking his acting I’m knocking his movies.

I’m watching a Humphrey bogart movie the treasure of the Sierra madre. Searching for gold in the Mexican mountains. Great movie so far. I’ve seen him in other movies I like his stuff but I need to see more. It really depends on the plot. I don’t want to see him in a love story with Lauren Bacall. Boring. I remember liking the African queen with Katherine Hepburn because of the setting. Casablanca I remember as being boring but maybe I’d like it now.

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. Beat the devil, dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?

"The African Queen" in my opinion a VERY boring film seen once do not want to watch again.

Re. Humphrey Bogart films I recommend:

"Key Largo" 1948:

Key Largo (film) - Wikipedia

"The Roaring Twenties" 1939:

The Roaring Twenties - Wikipedia

"Angels With Dirty Faces" 1938:

Angels with Dirty Faces - Wikipedia

"High Sierra" 1941:

High Sierra (film) - Wikipedia

"The Maltese Falcon" 1941:

The Maltese Falcon (1941 film) - Wikipedia

"The Two Mrs. Carrolls" 1947:

The Two Mrs. Carrolls - Wikipedia

"Dark Passage" 1947:

Dark Passage (film) - Wikipedia

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

Beat the Devil (film) - Wikipedia

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

The Big Sleep (1946 film) - Wikipedia

"The Enforcer" (sometimes called "Murder Inc.") 1951:

The Enforcer (1951 film) - Wikipedia

"The Harder They Fall" 1956 this Humphrey Bogart's final film, excellent involving gangsters and boxing:

The Harder They Fall - Wikipedia
I’m watching the Maltese falcon. It doesn’t make sense. Over acting. Ridiculous. All over the place.

He keeps pushing that crazy guy with the gun. He’s so sure of himself.

I’m only still watching to see how it ends but so far not good.

Who did it? Who’s telling the truth? What is the truth? Is he a good guy or bad guy?

I find myself lost and a little annoyed at the whole thing. Lol

I saw the movie last year on TV.
The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

I think the best action movies of the 60's were
Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
The Dirty Dozen

However, I the best movies of 60's weren't action movies. My favorites were:
The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day
After 70 years years of watching every genre and best films to the worst films, I've found the most rewarding films are those with strong character development. They can be action movies, romances, comedies, or dramas it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the actor creates a three dimensional character with a rich back story, not a cliche, a caricature, or a thin external representation of someone who barely resembles a human being. If the combination of script, direction, and acting create a real person on the screen, the audience will become involved and the movie is much more likely to be successful.
Since having this conversation I’ve taped a bunch of old movies. Movies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise. There was a Charlton Heston marathon. Besides the Ten Commandments and Ben hur I’m not a fan. But those movies were good. All the other movies were too slow and boring. And those movies illustrate just how one dimensional of an actor he was. People loved him and he was a big star but I just don’t like his stuff overall including planet of the apes. Too slow and cheesy. Could have been much better. That’s not his fault though so I’m not knocking his acting I’m knocking his movies.

I’m watching a Humphrey bogart movie the treasure of the Sierra madre. Searching for gold in the Mexican mountains. Great movie so far. I’ve seen him in other movies I like his stuff but I need to see more. It really depends on the plot. I don’t want to see him in a love story with Lauren Bacall. Boring. I remember liking the African queen with Katherine Hepburn because of the setting. Casablanca I remember as being boring but maybe I’d like it now.

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. Beat the devil, dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?

"The African Queen" in my opinion a VERY boring film seen once do not want to watch again.

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

"The Harder They Fall" 1956 this Humphrey Bogart's final film, excellent involving gangsters and boxing:

I’m watching the Maltese falcon. It doesn’t make sense. Over acting. Ridiculous. All over the place.

Who did it? Who’s telling the truth? What is the truth? Is he a good guy or bad guy?

must be referring to Elisha Cook Jr.

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

One of my favorite pyschos

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

must be referring to Elisha Cook Jr.

elisha-cook-junior.jpg

One of my favorite pyschos
This movie sucked. The best part was the end. Not the ending but when the movie ended. Lol

Forum List

Back