Why don't people watch films?

Captains Courageous, a novel by Rudyard Kipling made into a movie with Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew, and Lionel Barrymore in 1937. It won several academy awards. A nice movie

I couldn’t think of his name. Spencer Tracy.

It was a good movie but academy award? I don’t think so.

It didn't win best picture or actor. As child actors go, I never liked Freddie Bartholomew. I preferred Dean Stockwell in Down to the Sea in Ships.

I want to thank you for talking about something other than politics.

I want to suggest a funny movie that really is a classic even though it was made in 1974. Young Frankenstein.

I just saw blazing saddles recently and that use to be my favorite Mel brooks movie but now young Frankenstein is. Terri Garr and madalyn Kahn.

Blazing saddles isn’t as good as I remember but young Frankenstein is better

I think Young Frankenstein is probably one the funniest movies I have every seen, probably the best movie Gene Wider has ever made.

It's a shame more people on the Political forum don't spend more time on the other USMB forums. Too much time spent on politics will rot your brains.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

Mark Twain was okay.

I watched another newer version of three musketeers. The older one was better. One was probably 40s the newer one probably 50s. The guy who played dark tanyan in the new one over the top or wasn’t good looking enough. And they didn’t improve on the older version just sort of repeated it.

I don't think I have ever seen a movie about Mark Twain. I've see a couple of stage plays but not a movie.

I counted 56 movies made using the Three Musketeer basic plot. There have been 23 movies titled "The Three Musketeers". Then there's The 4th Musketeer, Three and a Half Musketeers, Mickey Donald and Goofy and The Three Musketeers, Barbie and the Three Musketeers, The Musketeer, The Last Musketeer, etc...

I couldn’t think of his name. Spencer Tracy.

It was a good movie but academy award? I don’t think so.
It didn't win best picture or actor. As child actors go, I never liked Freddie Bartholomew. I preferred Dean Stockwell in Down to the Sea in Ships.

I want to suggest a funny movie that really is a classic even though it was made in 1974. Young Frankenstein.

I just saw blazing saddles recently and that use to be my favorite Mel brooks movie but now young Frankenstein is. Terri Garr and madalyn Kahn.

I think Young Frankenstein is probably one the funniest movies I have every seen, probably the best movie Gene Wider has ever made.

It's a shame more people on the Political forum don't spend more time on the other USMB forums. Too much time spent on politics will rot your brains.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx
Mark Twain was okay.

I watched another newer version of three musketeers. The older one was better. One was probably 40s the newer one probably 50s. The guy who played dark tanyan in the new one over the top or wasn’t good looking enough. And they didn’t improve on the older version just sort of repeated it.
I don't think I have ever seen a movie about Mark Twain. I've see a couple of stage plays but not a movie.

I counted 56 movies made using the Three Musketeer basic plot. There have been 23 movies titled "The Three Musketeers". Then there's The 4th Musketeer, Three and a Half Musketeers, Mickey Donald and Goofy and The Three Musketeers, Barbie and the Three Musketeers, The Musketeer, The Last Musketeer, etc...

The movie briefly shows his childhood then how he learned to drive a river boat then his time as a captain. Then he left the river and wrote and I think he published other peoples writings and he maybe invented typewriters?

He was close to bankruptcy and if he published general grants memoirs he would go bankrupt but he did it anyways. But instead of shafting the people he owed he went all around the world speaking and he got out of bankruptcy..

People around the world praised him for giving them such a beautiful book that told them what it was like to live in America. They loved Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain and huckleberry Finn.

Groucho Marx
Mark Twain was okay.

The movie briefly shows his childhood then how he learned to drive a river boat then his time as a captain. Then he left the river and wrote and I think he published other peoples writings and he maybe invented typewriters?

He was close to bankruptcy and if he published general grants memoirs he would go bankrupt but he did it anyways. But instead of shafting the people he owed he went all around the world speaking and he got out of bankruptcy..

People around the world praised him for giving them such a beautiful book that told them what it was like to live in America. They loved Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain and huckleberry Finn.
Was this the one?

The Adventures of Mark Twain trailer

Groucho Marx
Mark Twain was okay.

Was this the one?

Yes that’s it.

Groucho Marx
Mark Twain was okay.

Was this the one?

Yes that’s it.
I'll have to take a look. Mark Twain has always been one of my favorites. I saw a stage presentation, 'Mark Twain Tonight", a one man show with James Whittemore which was excellent. Here's a clip from the original presentation with Hal Holbrook.

Mark Twain was okay.

Was this the one?

Yes that’s it.
I'll have to take a look. Mark Twain has always been one of my favorites. I saw a stage presentation, 'Mark Twain Tonight", a one man show with James Whittemore which was excellent. Here's a clip from the original presentation with Hal Holbrook.

When I was a kid I hated this stage presentation. I would have to watch it again as an adult to see if I appreciate it more now.

What I love is Huck Fin and Tom Sawyer and Mark Twain. In other words I love his stories of growing up on the Mississippi. And the rest of the world went crazy for his books when he was alive. And he was recognized before he died. He was a great American for sure.

Was this the one?

Yes that’s it.

When I was a kid I hated this stage presentation. I would have to watch it again as an adult to see if I appreciate it more now.

What I love is Huck Fin and Tom Sawyer and Mark Twain. In other words I love his stories of growing up on the Mississippi. And the rest of the world went crazy for his books when he was alive. And he was recognized before he died. He was a great American for sure.

The greatest American humorist as well as being a great story teller.

"Often it does seem such a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat."
Mark Twain

Was this the one?

Yes that’s it.

Mark Twain

Ever see It’s a big country? 1951 a patriotic tribute to the wonder and diversity of the USA. Several short stories glorifying the American way of life.

Nancy Reagan’s in it. I can’t wait to see how young she will look.

Mark Twain

Ever see It’s a big country? 1951 a patriotic tribute to the wonder and diversity of the USA. Several short stories glorifying the American way of life.

Yes. It was a good movie. The credits read like a 1950 who's who in Hollywood.

Yes that’s it.

Mark Twain

I’m Greek. One of the short stories was the Hungarian man who had all girls. He told them Hungarians hate greeks. Have for 500 years maybe 1000. Then his oldest daughter met a Greek man.

Mark Twain

I’m Greek. One of the short stories was the Hungarian man who had all girls. He told them Hungarians hate greeks. Have for 500 years maybe 1000. Then his oldest daughter met a Greek man.

I ran across this website that has a number of free full length classic movies. I didn't watch any but plan to do so.
30 Hollywood Classics Streaming Free in the Public Domain

Yes that’s it.

Mark Twain

Now I’m watching Virginia City. Errol Flynn, bogart and randolph Scott? 3 leading men in one movie? This must have been a huge blockbuster in 1940. The leading lady isn’t that hot. Probably why I don’t know her. Miriam Hopkins. Was she big back then?

Detective story, 1951.Set entirely in a police office...years before barney miller, or NYPD blue. Or any other other police thriller...

Mark Twain

Now I’m watching Virginia City. Errol Flynn, bogart and randolph Scott? 3 leading men in one movie? This must have been a huge blockbuster in 1940. The leading lady isn’t that hot. Probably why I don’t know her. Miriam Hopkins. Was she big back then?

Bogart did the worst job acting like a Mexican, if that is indeed what accent he was trying to pull off. I really couldn’t tell.

Mark Twain

She was a huge star at all the major studios, her heyday was the 1930s, she was also extremely temperamental, difficult to work with, artistically demanding, intelligent, her comedic timing was as sensitive as a tuning fork, a consummate scene stealer and she was the primary front runner for the role of Scarlett O'hara until Vivian Leigh showed up on the scene. She had a constant feud with all the studio heads and a long-running feud with her rival Bette Davis, both were the divas of their time.

Mark Twain

She's probably best know for her long running feud with Bette Davis. She made a lot movies and was nominated for a couple of academy awards. I honestly don't remember her in any her movies.
Did you like It's a big country?

Mark Twain

She's probably best know for her long running feud with Bette Davis. She made a lot movies and was nominated for a couple of academy awards. I honestly don't remember her in any her movies.
Yes I liked it’s a big country.

Funny because the more things change the more they stay the same.

I like it that they pointed out all the great blacks who are a part of this country.

Then when they addressed racism they didn’t mention blacks. They told a story about a Hungarian immigrant who didn’t want his daughters marrying greeks.

Mark Twain

Yes I liked it’s a big country.

Funny because the more things change the more they stay the same.

I like it that they pointed out all the great blacks who are a part of this country.

Then when they addressed racism they didn’t mention blacks. They told a story about a Hungarian immigrant who didn’t want his daughters marrying greeks.
Remember that was 1951. A time when a white women touching a black man in a movie was likely to result in boos and walkouts. A movie that suggested the equality of the races was likely to be boycotted in the Deep South.

Mark Twain

I ran across this website that has a number of free full length classic movies. I didn't watch any but plan to do so.
Inherit the wind. 1960. The Tennessee town is anti evolution. They locked up a teacher for teaching evolution and two attorneys debate creationism vs Darwinism

Spencer Tracy Fredric March Gene kelly dick York

Harry Morgan too from mash.

Mark Twain

Inherit the wind. 1960. The Tennessee town is anti evolution. They locked up a teacher for teaching evolution and two attorneys debate creationism vs Darwinism

Spencer Tracy Fredric March Gene kelly dick York

Harry Morgan too from mash.
The surprise performance was that of Gene Kelly. We always think of him as the song and dance man who made Singing in the Rain, a movie he hated and An American in Paris but he proved in this movie that he could act. He only made about half dozens dramas and several comedies if you exclude the propaganda films of WWII. However, he got good reviews in almost all of them.

Spencer Tracey and Fredric March made this one of the most memorable movies of the 60's

Forum List

Back