Why don't people watch films?

Well I watched this old movie that looked like it would be good. It was like a James Bond but not as much action. Too much slow boring talking scenes. Not enough fighting and interesting things going on. Car chases that went no where. They should have just killed him but for some reason they didn’t. He was an American spy in Germany and everyone seemed to know it. Even the bad guys.

The Quiller Memorandum. Watch it and tell me quinton terrantino wouldn’t have made a much more interesting movie. Well the truth is this is what a lot of movies were like back then. You can make excuses for them but the truth is that was a time when movies weren’t very good.

Like I said in my previous post watch journey to the center of the earth and Indiana Jones and you’ll see how far movies have come even without the special effects Indiana Jones is a much more fast paced action movie. The producers and directors in the past didn’t do a good job.

I know what you’re saying about developing characters and all that but for god sakes speed it up.

And now that I think about it quinton Tarantino tends to let his scenes drag on too but at least you can tell someone’s about to get fucked up. Lol
I saw the movie last year on TV.
The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

I think the best action movies of the 60's were
Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
The Dirty Dozen

However, I the best movies of 60's weren't action movies. My favorites were:
The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day
A lot of slow movies but I like a lot of them.
After 70 years years of watching every genre and best films to the worst films, I've found the most rewarding films are those with strong character development. They can be action movies, romances, comedies, or dramas it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the actor creates a three dimensional character with a rich back story, not a cliche, a caricature, or a thin external representation of someone who barely resembles a human being. If the combination of script, direction, and acting create a real person on the screen, the audience will become involved and the movie is much more likely to be successful.
Since having this conversation I’ve taped a bunch of old movies. Movies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise. There was a Charlton Heston marathon. Besides the Ten Commandments and Ben hur I’m not a fan. But those movies were good. All the other movies were too slow and boring. And those movies illustrate just how one dimensional of an actor he was. People loved him and he was a big star but I just don’t like his stuff overall including planet of the apes. Too slow and cheesy. Could have been much better. That’s not his fault though so I’m not knocking his acting I’m knocking his movies.

I’m watching a Humphrey bogart movie the treasure of the Sierra madre. Searching for gold in the Mexican mountains. Great movie so far. I’ve seen him in other movies I like his stuff but I need to see more. It really depends on the plot. I don’t want to see him in a love story with Lauren Bacall. Boring. I remember liking the African queen with Katherine Hepburn because of the setting. Casablanca I remember as being boring but maybe I’d like it now.

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. Beat the devil, dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?

"The African Queen" in my opinion a VERY boring film seen once do not want to watch again.

Re. Humphrey Bogart films I recommend:

"Key Largo" 1948:

Key Largo (film) - Wikipedia

"The Roaring Twenties" 1939:

The Roaring Twenties - Wikipedia

"Angels With Dirty Faces" 1938:

Angels with Dirty Faces - Wikipedia

"High Sierra" 1941:

High Sierra (film) - Wikipedia

"The Maltese Falcon" 1941:

The Maltese Falcon (1941 film) - Wikipedia

"The Two Mrs. Carrolls" 1947:

The Two Mrs. Carrolls - Wikipedia

"Dark Passage" 1947:

Dark Passage (film) - Wikipedia

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

Beat the Devil (film) - Wikipedia

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

The Big Sleep (1946 film) - Wikipedia

"The Enforcer" (sometimes called "Murder Inc.") 1951:

The Enforcer (1951 film) - Wikipedia

"The Harder They Fall" 1956 this Humphrey Bogart's final film, excellent involving gangsters and boxing:

The Harder They Fall - Wikipedia
Why key largo? Is it a good movie or just a good love story? What’s it about? I may have seen it when I was too young to appreciate it.

Well I watched this old movie that looked like it would be good. It was like a James Bond but not as much action. Too much slow boring talking scenes. Not enough fighting and interesting things going on. Car chases that went no where. They should have just killed him but for some reason they didn’t. He was an American spy in Germany and everyone seemed to know it. Even the bad guys.

The Quiller Memorandum. Watch it and tell me quinton terrantino wouldn’t have made a much more interesting movie. Well the truth is this is what a lot of movies were like back then. You can make excuses for them but the truth is that was a time when movies weren’t very good.

Like I said in my previous post watch journey to the center of the earth and Indiana Jones and you’ll see how far movies have come even without the special effects Indiana Jones is a much more fast paced action movie. The producers and directors in the past didn’t do a good job.

I know what you’re saying about developing characters and all that but for god sakes speed it up.

And now that I think about it quinton Tarantino tends to let his scenes drag on too but at least you can tell someone’s about to get fucked up. Lol
The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day
After 70 years years of watching every genre and best films to the worst films, I've found the most rewarding films are those with strong character development. They can be action movies, romances, comedies, or dramas it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the actor creates a three dimensional character with a rich back story, not a cliche, a caricature, or a thin external representation of someone who barely resembles a human being. If the combination of script, direction, and acting create a real person on the screen, the audience will become involved and the movie is much more likely to be successful.
Since having this conversation I’ve taped a bunch of old movies. Movies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise. There was a Charlton Heston marathon. Besides the Ten Commandments and Ben hur I’m not a fan. But those movies were good. All the other movies were too slow and boring. And those movies illustrate just how one dimensional of an actor he was. People loved him and he was a big star but I just don’t like his stuff overall including planet of the apes. Too slow and cheesy. Could have been much better. That’s not his fault though so I’m not knocking his acting I’m knocking his movies.

I’m watching a Humphrey bogart movie the treasure of the Sierra madre. Searching for gold in the Mexican mountains. Great movie so far. I’ve seen him in other movies I like his stuff but I need to see more. It really depends on the plot. I don’t want to see him in a love story with Lauren Bacall. Boring. I remember liking the African queen with Katherine Hepburn because of the setting. Casablanca I remember as being boring but maybe I’d like it now.

I’m looking over his movies. I want to see a few of them. Beat the devil, dark passage, the Caine mutiny. Are these good movies?

"The African Queen" in my opinion a VERY boring film seen once do not want to watch again.

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

"The Harder They Fall" 1956 this Humphrey Bogart's final film, excellent involving gangsters and boxing:

The Maltese falcon and the harder they fall came up on my search so I recorded them.

I did not tape Sabrina and the barefoot contessa because you didn’t recommend them. If the premise looked interesting I would have taped them but they look like chick flicks. If you said they were good movies I’d take the chance.

The African queen may not have been a great movie but I seemed to be entertained. Like I said the premise is important to me. Out in the African wilderness. Sounds adventurous.

Did you like treasure of the Sierra madre?

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

Why key largo? Is it a good movie or just a good love story? What’s it about? I may have seen it when I was too young to appreciate it.

"Key Largo" not a love film it is a film noir with gangsters the Boss is Johnny Rocco played by Edward G. Robinson and his SECOND great gangster role after Rico Bandello in "Little Caesar" 1931:

Here is the original trailer:

Little Caesar (film) - Wikipedia

So the film "Key Largo" take place at the Hotel Lago in Key Largo during a hurricane and Johnny Rocco and some of his gang and Claire Trevor are
holed up in the hotel and take the owner Lionel Barrymore and his daughter Lauren Bacall hostage then comes Humphrey Bogart who promise his dead friend he would visit his father and wife now widow who are Barrymore and Bacall and he gets caught up in the hostage situation and then also he is another hostage.

Here is one great scene in the film:

Here is the original trailer:

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

Also one of the GREATEST gangster films ever is "White Heat" 1949 with James Cagney, Virginia Mayo, Steve Cochran and Edmond O'Brien, Cody Jarrett is the GREATEST gangster performance from Cagney AFTER Tom Powers in "The Public Enemy" 1931:

Here is "The Public Enemy" original trailer:

Here is a scene from "The Public Enemy"

Here is the full film of "White Heat" in excellent picture quality the film duration is one hour and fifty three minutes:

You can download it, you copy and paste the URL into whatever, I have 4k Video Downloader it is a free:

4K Download – Free and useful applications for PC, Mac and Linux

So I copy and paste URLs into that and they download the film.

I then have 5kPlayer this also is free and is excellent to watch downloaded films in:

Download 5KPlayer - free - latest version

Warren Oates as Dillinger was among the best 'gangster' roles on film, with several other fine roles in that movie as well. It managed to surpass its 'B movie' budget, as did many of Bogart's movies that no one expected would become 'classics'.

Re The Maltese Falcon, it had been made twice, one with Bettie Davis in it, before the Bogart remake version came out. The third one clicked at the box office, though.

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

The Maltese falcon and the harder they fall came up on my search so I recorded them.

I did not tape Sabrina and the barefoot contessa because you didn’t recommend them. If the premise looked interesting I would have taped them but they look like chick flicks. If you said they were good movies I’d take the chance.

The African queen may not have been a great movie but I seemed to be entertained. Like I said the premise is important to me. Out in the African wilderness. Sounds adventurous.

Did you like treasure of the Sierra madre?

I respond to the above tomorrow, it is now 9.19PM and I go to the bed as have to be up at approx 3AM to be on duty.

I don't watch too many old films because the car chases don't involve enough mayhem, the explosions do not engulf as many city blocks as I would like, the monsters look too rubbery and my attention span demands immediate gratuitous violence.

Warren Oates as Dillinger was among the best 'gangster' roles on film, with several other fine roles in that movie as well. It managed to surpass its 'B movie' budget, as did many of Bogart's movies that no one expected would become 'classics'.

Re The Maltese Falcon, it had been made twice, one with Bettie Davis in it, before the Bogart remake version came out. The third one clicked at the box office, though.

Yes Warren Oates excellent as John Dillinger. One of Humphrey Bogart's low budget films that was a great success was "They Drive By Night" 1940

They Drive by Night - Wikipedia

Well "The Maltese Falcon" was made in actuality one time before John Huston's 1941 version, this in 1931 with Ricardo Cortez as Sam Spade and Bebe Daniels as Brigid O'Shaughnessy who in Huston's 1941 version was played by Mary Astor, this 1931 version in faithful follow Dashiell Hammett's novel. The Bette Davis one you refer this "Satan Met A Lady" it is a loose adaption of "The Maltese Falcon"

Satan Met a Lady - Wikipedia

Yes Warren Oates excellent as John Dillinger. One of Humphrey Bogart's low budget films that was a great success was "They Drive By Night" 1940

Well "The Maltese Falcon" was made in actuality one time before John Huston's 1941 version, this in 1931 with Ricardo Cortez as Sam Spade and Bebe Daniels as Brigid O'Shaughnessy who in Huston's 1941 version was played by Mary Astor, this 1931 version in faithful follow Dashiell Hammett's novel. The Bette Davis one you refer this "Satan Met A Lady" it is a loose adaption of "The Maltese Falcon"

Great Movie

They've been running They Drive By Night here locally a lot this month, along with some other B&W crime films. I like seeing the old trucks and cars in those movies. I also like old 30's movies made in NYC, when the gangster Larry Fay's taxis were all over the streets; they're the ones you see in movies with the 'swastikas' on the doors, and you can hear younger kids suck their breaths in when they see them. they were thinking they didn't know the Nazis had taxicabs in America ... Fay also owned one of the famous nightclubs during Prohibition as well.

Fun Fact: Arnold Rothstein's lawyer had a bill passed in the New York legislature stating that if a building had been raided for housing a speakeasy selling booze and nothing was found, authorities couldn't raid it again for a year. That's why you had these nationally famous nightclubs operating right out in the open, complete with newspaper advertising; Rothstein ran a real estate business and paid cops to raid empty buildings or clubs that were warned ahead of time, and got rich charging high rents for 'unraidable' space to clubs and speaks via his real estate company. Can't remember exactly which club Fay owned, it was the Copa or one of those big famous ones. Fay was the model for the Cagney character in Roaring Twenties and other movies.

Ah, Wiki has a short article on him:

Larry Fay - Wikipedia

Larry Fay

Last edited:

Great Movie

I just saw it and enjoyed it.

Right now I’m watching King Solomon’s mine with Stewart granger. Was he a big name back then? I like it. It would be exciting to go to Africa back in the 1800s or early 1900s.

Great Movie

Right now I’m watching King Solomon’s mine with Stewart granger. Was he a big name back then? I like it. It would be exciting to go to Africa back in the 1800s or early 1900s.

Many years ago I read King Solomon's Mine but never saw the movie. How was it? Stewart Granger was big star in 40's and 50's.

A couple of his best movies were

and

Last edited:

Great Movie

Many years ago I read King Solomon's Mine but never saw the movie. How was it?

Decent movie, and, for his time, Granger was a decent actor.

Odd fact

Stewart Granger was his stage name, He couldn't use his birth name, because an actor was already using it.

His birth name was...…..

James Stewart

Great Movie

Odd fact

Stewart Granger was his stage name, He couldn't use his birth name, because an actor was already using it.

His birth name was...…..

James Stewart

That's interesting. I never was too fond of Granger. However, there was an English movie he did called Adam and Evalyn with Jean Simmons. I wanted to see it because it was a totally different role from his swashbuckling adventures and he did win an award for it. I've never seen it on any of the old movie channels.

Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
The Dirty Dozen

The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

"Key Largo" 1948:

"High Sierra" 1941:

"Dark Passage" 1947:

"Beat The Devil" 1953:

"The Big Sleep" 1946:

Besides Bogart, Lionel Barrymore, Edward G. Robinson, and Lauren Bacall, it has a good story. If you liked some of the other Bogart movies such as To Have and Have Not, you will probably like it. It's a pretty straight forward story. Bogart visits the wife (Bacall) of a GI buddy killed in war who lives in Key Largo Florida. She helps her dad (Barrymore) run a hotel on the water. When Bogart arrives he finds things are not quite right. Some unwelcome guests including Robinson are staying there. There's a love story and a hurricane and a pretty exciting ending plus some good acting by 4 screen icons. I enjoyed.

I don't watch too many old films because the car chases don't involve enough mayhem, the explosions do not engulf as many city blocks as I would like, the monsters look too rubbery and my attention span demands immediate gratuitous violence.
There were 3 key ingredients in older classic movies, a good screen play, acting, and direction often missing in many of the action adventures today. So many of the movies today rely on CGI, special effects, and deafening sound effects and music.

As an old director being interviewed said in older movies that were done well, you felt the joy, sorry, humor, and fear of the characters because actors had to be able to act and to develop their character. We had no choice because we didn't have the technology to rely on. Screenplays had to tell a story and actors had to act to bring it to life.

Last edited:
Old movies were the products of a factory system, with budgets and formula writing dominating the film making. Some became classics by pure accident. Great films weren't really done on purpose until the 'Studio system' died out, but the the costs soared as well and fewer and fewer films had more than one 'star quality' actor in them. These days, films are aimed mostly at kids, same as 'westerns' and action films in the earlier eras were. They're deliberately planned out to maximize all manner of 'profit centers' , like toys, clothes, etc, or 'action films', aimed at the rental markets. Most of the 'serious' films aimed at adults are mostly vanity films, stories a producer or director wanted to make and had the means to raise the money and attract the actors they need; few of them are 'successful' in Hollywood terms. Those get made because it's tough to keep screens going with just the big Star Wars type stuff, since those take a long time to put together and some filler is needed, plus the 'made for TV' satellite and cable companies need many many hours of filler as well, and some of those turn out to be enduring and good as well, again for the same the reasons the old 'Studio System' managed to turn out something excellent once in a while. Some directors are just better and more consistent than others, same with actors.

Great Movie

Odd fact

His birth name was...…..

James Stewart

The host on tcm said of all the remakes this is the best one. Richard chamberland and Sharon Stone tried to remake it in the 80s. Some guy named David mccallum tried King Solomon’s treasures in 1979. Then some sequels but none of them good as the original.

Those were real Africans. You got the sense you were really in Africa.

What an exotic place

Forum List

Back