Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

For WillHaftawaite and froggy

The duration is seven minutes and thirty seconds.

One of my favorite scenes was , I believe, in Tillie and Gus..

Both con artists, they're invited into a game of cards.

Till volunteers, but Gus says, "No dear, you were always better with the galloping dominoes"

Till volunteers, but Gus says, "No dear, you were always better with the galloping dominoes"

What is galloping dominoes? :confused-84:

If memory serves, it comes just before :

Augustus Q. Winterbottom: Poker? Is that the game where one receives five cards, and if there's two alike that's pretty good, but if there's three alike that's much better?

What is galloping dominoes? :confused-84:
200.gif

Blood in a western?

the Wild Bunch

That's another thing I'm against, remakes.
I’m watching Journey to the center of the earth. Watch it and you see raiders of the lost arc is a remake of this movie. A way better remake.

Cape fear with Robert dinero is way better than the original.

True grit remake was pretty good.

The new Superman’s and Batman’s are better than the old ones

They are too slow.
Older films tend to be slower and younger people get impatient. Film buffs understand why these films are slow developing. In most of the better older drama, the director is developing his characters so the audience understands the feelings and motives of the characters. In most older dramas, the action is what occurs between the characters. In those days they didn't have special effects, dolby sound or even color so the director had to make his audience feel the hate, love, joy, sorrow of the characters. And that is done by acting, something we don't see a lot of in movies today.

They are too slow.
Older films tend to be slower and younger people get impatient. Film buffs understand why these films are slow developing. In most of the better older drama, the director is developing his characters so the audience understands the feelings and motives of the characters. In most older dramas, the action is what occurs between the characters. In those days they didn't have special effects, dolby sound or even color so the director had to make his audience feel the hate, love, joy, sorrow of the characters. And that is done by acting, something we don't see a lot of in movies today.
Well I watched this old movie that looked like it would be good. It was like a James Bond but not as much action. Too much slow boring talking scenes. Not enough fighting and interesting things going on. Car chases that went no where. They should have just killed him but for some reason they didn’t. He was an American spy in Germany and everyone seemed to know it. Even the bad guys.

The Quiller Memorandum. Watch it and tell me quinton terrantino wouldn’t have made a much more interesting movie. Well the truth is this is what a lot of movies were like back then. You can make excuses for them but the truth is that was a time when movies weren’t very good.

Like I said in my previous post watch journey to the center of the earth and Indiana Jones and you’ll see how far movies have come even without the special effects Indiana Jones is a much more fast paced action movie. The producers and directors in the past didn’t do a good job.

I know what you’re saying about developing characters and all that but for god sakes speed it up.

And now that I think about it quinton Tarantino tends to let his scenes drag on too but at least you can tell someone’s about to get fucked up. Lol

I just watched this, it's a serious movie. Pretty good! It's a detective thriller.

One hour, thirty-five minutes.

I just watched this, it's a serious movie. Pretty good! It's a detective thriller.

I did a search and it’s not findable on my tv. They don’t play it on turner classic movies?

I just posted a free link for youtube, dumbass.

Put it on a thumb drive and watch on your TV, derp!

Last edited:

I did a search and it’s not findable on my tv. They don’t play it on turner classic movies?

I love usmb

You must be ill..

Can’t you guys tell I love this place? I also go to this liberal website it’s boring when everyone agrees.

I love usmb

You must be ill..

Can’t you guys tell I love this place? I also go to this liberal website it’s boring when everyone agrees.

I like the Taunting Area which no other forum has but USMB is a bummer with all the hateful assholes that post.

I love usmb
You must be ill..
I like the Taunting Area which no other forum has but USMB is a bummer with all the hateful assholes that post.
Not all hateful aholes are equal. And even the guy I hate on here the most, I’m glad he’s here. It’d be boring without him. But occasionally I have to block him because he’s so frustrating. But then I miss him and unblock him.

They are too slow.
Well I watched this old movie that looked like it would be good. It was like a James Bond but not as much action. Too much slow boring talking scenes. Not enough fighting and interesting things going on. Car chases that went no where. They should have just killed him but for some reason they didn’t. He was an American spy in Germany and everyone seemed to know it. Even the bad guys.

The Quiller Memorandum. Watch it and tell me quinton terrantino wouldn’t have made a much more interesting movie. Well the truth is this is what a lot of movies were like back then. You can make excuses for them but the truth is that was a time when movies weren’t very good.

Like I said in my previous post watch journey to the center of the earth and Indiana Jones and you’ll see how far movies have come even without the special effects Indiana Jones is a much more fast paced action movie. The producers and directors in the past didn’t do a good job.

I know what you’re saying about developing characters and all that but for god sakes speed it up.

And now that I think about it quinton Tarantino tends to let his scenes drag on too but at least you can tell someone’s about to get fucked up. Lol
I saw the movie last year on TV.
The Quiller Memorandum was not a very good movie. It had a simplest plot and for some unknown reasons the director and script writer tried to create a dreamlike atmosphere where the characters were almost speaking in code. I thought it was a boring movie. And yes, just about any director could have made the book which was excellent into a better movie. This was the year the James Bond movie Thunderball came out, a much better action movie but not great.

I think the best action movies of the 60's were
Psycho
Bonnie and Cylde
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
The Dirty Dozen

However, I the best movies of 60's weren't action movies. My favorites were:
The Apartment
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
The Graduate
The Music Man
The Producers
The Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Ride the High Country
The Longest Day

And for a good reason. It's a mediocre film noir. The acting is pretty good but the outcome is very predictable and plot is a bit stale even for 1943.

Forum List

Back