Why don't new bands want to rock any more?

SYTFE

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2016
Trolling/No Content
Anyone notice that bands have seemed to have completely lost all testosterone? Is this a a reflection of something cultural?

Sure, you'll find a small segment of bands that rock today. But there aren't that many, and they sort of tend to be not very popular. Well, at least in terms of what is popular in current music.

Every single time I discover a new band, either from a guest performance on a late night talk show, some footage of one of the popular festivals like coachella, or from cool radio stations that play lots of new music, I'm always amazed at how they DON'T ROCK. It's like, a very tame version of pop rock or...something. They're all so laid back. Like their balls have been removed.

When I was a teenager, man....it was a such a good time for music. Mid-90's. We had Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, 311, Stone Temple Pilots, Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, a thriving punk rock and ska scene, it was just an embarrassment of riches of bands that seriously fucking rocked. ROCKED!!!

Where are new bands like that today? I know some of those guys I mentioned above are still at it and actively touring today, but I'm mostly referring to new bands.

Many of the concerts I went to were just off the wall bonkers, bordering on chaos, I thought I was going to die many times in mosh pits. Also, there are no more mosh pits today! People just stand there with their smart phones filming the set. Lame.

Why don't new bands want to fucking ROCK? It seems to have come to a screeching halt. What the hell?

60's -- bands were starting to rock.
70's -- bands REALLY rocked. Led Zeppelin, etc.
80's -- music was super hit or miss, but there were still plenty of bands that rocked.
90's -- the peak of rocking the fuck out!
00's -- bands were still rocking
10's -- bands slowly stopped rocking
Present day -- it's very hard to find any NEW bands that want to rock

Is it something in the water? Too much soy products in our food supply?

Could it be that most of the interest in music has simply shifted to EDM and rap music? Nothing wrong with that, I'm into a lot of that stuff myself, but I'm just so surprised that people don't want to ROCK!

Thoughts?

Anyone notice that bands have seemed to have completely lost all testosterone? Is this a a reflection of something cultural?

Sure, you'll find a small segment of bands that rock today. But there aren't that many, and they sort of tend to be not very popular. Well, at least in terms of what is popular in current music.

Every single time I discover a new band, either from a guest performance on a late night talk show, some footage of one of the popular festivals like coachella, or from cool radio stations that play lots of new music, I'm always amazed at how they DON'T ROCK. It's like, a very tame version of pop rock or...something. They're all so laid back. Like their balls have been removed.

When I was a teenager, man....it was a such a good time for music. Mid-90's. We had Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, 311, Stone Temple Pilots, Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, a thriving punk rock and ska scene, it was just an embarrassment of riches of bands that seriously fucking rocked. ROCKED!!!

Where are new bands like that today? I know some of those guys I mentioned above are still at it and actively touring today, but I'm mostly referring to new bands.

Many of the concerts I went to were just off the wall bonkers, bordering on chaos, I thought I was going to die many times in mosh pits. Also, there are no more mosh pits today! People just stand there with their smart phones filming the set. Lame.

Why don't new bands want to fucking ROCK? It seems to have come to a screeching halt. What the hell?

80's -- music was super hit or miss, but there were still plenty of bands that rocked.

Could it be that most of the interest in music has simply shifted to EDM and rap music? Nothing wrong with that, I'm into a lot of that stuff myself, but I'm just so surprised that people don't want to ROCK!

Thoughts?

Define "rock"? Maybe it's not the bands that have changed but simply your definition of "rock". Perhaps you have become like your father now that you are older? I suspect that is the case. The same music I liked in my youth is the same music I listen to now because it's as relevant today as it was when it first came out. If you can't relate, it's not the music, it's because you are getting older. BTW, Led Zeppelin sucked....I wouldn't walk across the street if they were playing for free much less buy a ticket to hear their shitty music.

• Banned
My generation killed disco to save rock.
Your generation should have killed rap.

You know, even rap has lost the edge it once had. A lot of the "golden era" of hip hop, around '88 to some point in the mid 90's used to have a ferocious energy to it, very similar to rock and punk rock. Today, most new rap is a very laid back, chilled-out sound.

We went from stuff like this:

and this:

to this:

You know, even rap has lost the edge it once had. A lot of the "golden era" of hip hop, around '88 to some point in the mid 90's used to have a ferocious energy to it, very similar to rock and punk rock. Today, most new rap is a very laid back, chilled-out sound.

and this:

to this:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned

Thoughts?

Define "rock"? Maybe it's not the bands that have changed but simply your definition of "rock". Perhaps you have become like your father now that you are older? I suspect that is the case. The same music I liked in my youth is the same music I listen to now because it's as relevant today as it was when it first came out. If you can't relate, it's not the music, it's because you are getting older. BTW, Led Zeppelin sucked....I wouldn't walk across the street if they were playing for free much less buy a ticket to hear their shitty music.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I don't think I'm becoming like my dad, because he was always into good music himself actually.

Led Zeppelin fucking rocked dude. Are you kidding me? I can appreciate music from any generation, and they abso-fucking-lutely rocked. Harder than any other band in history in my opinion.

I would define rock as a certain energy in the music. The stones rocked. Motley Crue rocked. Jane's Addiction rocked. Rage Against the Machine rocked. Is this really difficult to define? To me it's obvious when a band is a "rock" band.

What I'm noticing is that particular aggressive, in your face energy is missing in most new bands. I would LOVE for someone to prove me wrong and give me some suggestions.

Best new band that I've recently discovered is Antemasque, a sort of spin off of The Mars Volta.

and this:

to this:

If you were not NWA you were not shit!

Yep, people started hitting substance abuse rehabs in the 90's and music suffered.

I think it has to do with changes in the music industry. In fact, this correlation of the decline of rock almost perfectly matches the start of the decline of CD sales, which started right about '99.

Can't spell "CRAP" without R-A-P.........I would puncture my own ear drums WILLINGLY if I was being tortured with c-Rap music. I survived the femme "hair bands" of the 80's because Steely Dan was still knocking out great music, we had rhythm and blues, singers like Sade with a jazz sound mixed in with some Cuban beats.......easy listening jazz instrumentals from artists like Bony James........I don't need today's "sounds" to give me my diet of music because it blows.

and this:

to this:

Do you only like one kind of music?

My Mom and sister used to be singers and my biological dad was really into music.

I like every kind of music there is well almost all.

and this:

to this:

NWA is another perfect example of the energy I'm talking about.

This is still fire.

Still know damn near every word, lol

Yep, people started hitting substance abuse rehabs in the 90's and music suffered.

I think it has to do with changes in the music industry. In fact, this correlation of the decline of rock almost perfectly matches the start of the decline of CD sales, which started right about '99.
Bands lost their edge because of this PC bullshit! Comedy as well. Eddie Murphy and George Carlin on the edge.
They would be banned on college campuses today.

When you chop the balls of free speech more then one kind of balls are lost.

I remember napster. :lol:

Yeah I am sure sales effect it too. But if people like music for the expression like to rock you would think it be more popular still.

I remember napster. :lol:

Yeah I am sure sales effect it too. But if people like music for the expression like to rock you would think it be more popular still.

Help me understand this drifter. HELP ME

Bands lost their edge because of this PC bullshit! Comedy as well. Eddie Murphy and George Carlin on the edge.

PC got popular when people quit partying drinking smoking weed etc and got all corporate serious and material minded.

But we do still have a few guys in comedy with that same kind of edge. Jim Jefferies, Bill Burr and Louis CK come to mind.

But we do still have a few guys in comedy with that same kind of edge. Jim Jefferies, Bill Burr and Louis CK come to mind.
And we have a few bands huh? Was that not the very problem you spoke of? Where are they?
PC killed em.

Thoughts?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I don't think I'm becoming like my dad, because he was always into good music himself actually.

Led Zeppelin fucking rocked dude. Are you kidding me? I can appreciate music from any generation, and they abso-fucking-lutely rocked. Harder than any other band in history in my opinion.

I would define rock as a certain energy in the music. The stones rocked. Motley Crue rocked. Jane's Addiction rocked. Rage Against the Machine rocked. Is this really difficult to define? To me it's obvious when a band is a "rock" band.

What I'm noticing is that particular aggressive, in your face energy is missing in most new bands. I would LOVE for someone to prove me wrong and give me some suggestions.

Best new band that I've recently discovered is Antemasque, a sort of spin off of The Mars Volta.

Led Zeppelin was a studio band....have you ever heard them in concert? They sucked BIG time........why is that? Because they were not in a studio that could hide their weaknesses...a few tweaks here, a few tweaks there and they don't sound a damn thing like they did "live". The best live band I have ever heard was the Atlanta Rhythm Section...they were just as smooth "live" as they were on their albums. Now, I will say that there are some great songs from the 90's that I have only recently learned to appreciate because I had to learn them for a band I was in...like "Sour Girl" by STP and "Fell On Black Days" by Soundgarden. Pearl Jam was relevant that had a sound that resonated with me. I liked Nirvana and the grunge sound but music today is totally controlled by the industry that makes the big money off of it.....

Forum List

Back