Why don't new bands want to rock any more?

Yeah, I guess it just isn't very rock n' roll to post selfies on instagram and endless pics of yourself on the toilet on snapchat. LOL

The energy of rock n' roll is almost gone. Which is bizarre, because it's been present in every decade since the 60's.

These guys have it though:

And these guys:

The guy playing bass makes me want to throw my bass guitars away and never pick them up again. I thought that Giddy Lee was just a freak of nature.......thanks for the link.

Yeah, he's great. Did you notice that they're a 2-piece? Just bass and drums. Crazy.

I stand in awe of incredibly talented musicians that do it for the love of playing and creating. I took a looong break from performing in cover bands and stuck to occasional studio work (usually non-gratis) just to help an artist friend of mine that wrote something I liked. My big break came when I was referred to Dale Watson when his bass player Gene Kurtz (who by the way co-wrote the song "Treat Her Right" a huge hit in 1965) was ill and they needed a fill in bass player for a couple of gigs in Dallas and Ft.Worth and most of his music is original and I totally dug it. I got all all the songs sent to me as well as the charts. It helped that even though I had only one short rehearsal with them that Herb Belofsky was the drummer....the best ever. We are friends and stay in touch and he encouraged me to get back in the game. It allowed me to come in contact with many talented musicians within the scene and I hooked up with some really good ones. Our lead singer and songwriter was incredibly talented but his life was a train wreck. I hooked up with him in 2007 and we were rolling and then he got popped for a DWI and was twice the legal limit. So he ends up in Huntsville because he had a prior drug conviction. Then 18 months later he hunts me down and says he has a financial backer that is building a studio and a bunkhouse for whomever joins the band. It was in Blue Ridge, Texas and it was an incredible set up. He had concrete poured and bought golf carts so we could go from the studio to the bunkhouse so he didn't have to worry about anyone leaving if they had been drinking. We opened for a band called "Whiskey Myers" and things just took off from there. Unfortunately, Eric was still fighting his addiction and even though he looked out for him, he got popped again for another DWI and again he was twice the legal limit. Reggie (our benefactor) got him the best attorney money could buy and could have gotten him probation...but it was less than two months that he was busted again. He was sent away for two years. We laid down tracks for the second CD before he left but two years of sobriety changed him. He came back after his incarceration but didn't want to put the band back together even though every one of us never dedicated ourselves to another project. We simply did "fill in" work.

Anyway, the link that I am sending is to a song that me and Eric co-wrote one rainy Saturday morning in March of 2010. I had just lost my brother, he was missing the wife that left him and took his son. We had recorded that Friday night and I had left the bunkhouse to the studio because Reggie had a full stocked kitchen and I heard Eric working on this song and it resonated with me so much that I wrote the third verse of it......it's kind of haunting but it is a song about redemption.

The name of the song is "Relief".......I play bass and sing background vocals.

The Eric Beatty Band | Country from Dallas, TX

Good stuff. Nice work. Country hasn't suffered the same fate as rock music. It's still going strong. Talk about an evergreen genre...

Greatly appreciate the fact that you would even give it a listen. It's a soul bearing song for sure and given the "back and forth" we have had? You could have used it in a negative manner...but you didn't and we have found common ground when it comes to music...something we are passionate about and you are definitely well versed when it comes to that. You turned me onto some great undiscovered artists that I will be listening to and I appreciate that .

Nashville country and what we call "Texas country" are bi-polar opposites of each other which is why the independent label artists can make a decent living selling their CDs at gigs. Like Dale Watson, for instance. He has been on David Letterman and the Jimmy Kimmel Show but yet he still does 300 shows a year. Commercial country has become as big of a "sell-out" as rock and roll. I loved Nirvana and I had the utmost respect for Kurt Cobain that said "I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not". I have a great friend named Jeff Hopson that is the last of the great poets and lyricists.....a totally undiscovered talent but revered by his fans and he is totally satisfied with his lot in life.....becoming what he calls "commercial" would mean that he takes orders from others and that's not what he is about. Artistry is a talent that should never be given away and then controlled by the highest bidder. Good on ya. Great thread, btw.......

No worries at all. I'm a musician myself so I appreciate and respect any other musicians. It's a tough biz and artists have been getting screwed for quite some time now. Our "back and forth" was nothing, I've encountered far, far worse on forums. I mostly just run my mouth and talk a bunch of shit when I come here anyway. I'm not even half the asshole I am in real life than I am on this forum. lol

Yeah, I'm not that familiar with the different styles of country, but what I do know is that all of you fuckers can play. Country is not my cup of tea, but I've always appreciated the musicianship involved. Always very tasteful, very skilled and the entire genre consists of real musicians.

How are vinyl sales for country? One very big positive trend is how well vinyl is selling again in general.

It's the Johnny Bravo syndrome writ large. Johnny Bravo as in The Brady Bunch version. Where record companies are involved entirely in the process of 'creating' an image and just dropping anyone that is attractive and can sing into that image. It homogenizes the industry and the music. Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber. Where the package is sold, not so much the music.

This has led to the current era where homogenized music is now the accepted norm so rock bands have a harder time finding air time. The metal bands still occupy their niche and continue to rock, but mainstream rock music has fallen fallow. It looked like The Black Keys would inspire a resurgence a few years ago but it fizzled.

All we can do now is wait, the worm will turn. It just may be ten years from now.

Hahaha.....nice....I like this guy!

So true though nobody parties or really rebels anymore :lol: we are all just online now.

Yeah, I guess it just isn't very rock n' roll to post selfies on instagram and endless pics of yourself on the toilet on snapchat. LOL

The energy of rock n' roll is almost gone. Which is bizarre, because it's been present in every decade since the 60's.

And these guys:

Royal Blood is made up of a lead bassist and a drummer? ?? ????

Hahaha.....nice....I like this guy!

So true though nobody parties or really rebels anymore :lol: we are all just online now.

And these guys:

Royal Blood is made up of a lead bassist and a drummer? ?? ????

Yeah! He uses a really complex setup to run his bass through several amps to combine the distorted sound of a guitar while still keeping the low end tone of the bass. This is because he claims that he "picked up the wrong instrument." It actually makes a really clear sound that really cuts through the mix live. From what I understand, they sound even better live than on record. Jimmy Page incidentally is a huge fan of them too, described their sound like an "erupting volcano."

Anyone notice that bands have seemed to have completely lost all testosterone? Is this a a reflection of something cultural?

Sure, you'll find a small segment of bands that rock today. But there aren't that many, and they sort of tend to be not very popular. Well, at least in terms of what is popular in current music.

Every single time I discover a new band, either from a guest performance on a late night talk show, some footage of one of the popular festivals like coachella, or from cool radio stations that play lots of new music, I'm always amazed at how they DON'T ROCK. It's like, a very tame version of pop rock or...something. They're all so laid back. Like their balls have been removed.

When I was a teenager, man....it was a such a good time for music. Mid-90's. We had Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, 311, Stone Temple Pilots, Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, a thriving punk rock and ska scene, it was just an embarrassment of riches of bands that seriously fucking rocked. ROCKED!!!

Where are new bands like that today? I know some of those guys I mentioned above are still at it and actively touring today, but I'm mostly referring to new bands.

Many of the concerts I went to were just off the wall bonkers, bordering on chaos, I thought I was going to die many times in mosh pits. Also, there are no more mosh pits today! People just stand there with their smart phones filming the set. Lame.

Why don't new bands want to fucking ROCK? It seems to have come to a screeching halt. What the hell?

60's -- bands were starting to rock.
70's -- bands REALLY rocked. Led Zeppelin, etc.
80's -- music was super hit or miss, but there were still plenty of bands that rocked.
90's -- the peak of rocking the fuck out!
00's -- bands were still rocking
10's -- bands slowly stopped rocking
Present day -- it's very hard to find any NEW bands that want to rock

Is it something in the water? Too much soy products in our food supply?

Could it be that most of the interest in music has simply shifted to EDM and rap music? Nothing wrong with that, I'm into a lot of that stuff myself, but I'm just so surprised that people don't want to ROCK!

Thoughts?
You sayin' Katy Perry doesn't rock? Well, you're probably right there. What about Adelle? She's gotta rock? No. Well, fuck man! What about Lincoln Park?

Bands lost their edge because of this PC bullshit! Comedy as well. Eddie Murphy and George Carlin on the edge.
They would be banned on college campuses today.

When you chop the balls of free speech more then one kind of balls are lost.
You know fuckin' a woman in the ass, is a lot like the beginning of the bible.

Led Zeppelin was a studio band....have you ever heard them in concert? They sucked BIG time........why is that? Because they were not in a studio that could hide their weaknesses...a few tweaks here, a few tweaks there and they don't sound a damn thing like they did "live". The best live band I have ever heard was the Atlanta Rhythm Section...they were just as smooth "live" as they were on their albums. Now, I will say that there are some great songs from the 90's that I have only recently learned to appreciate because I had to learn them for a band I was in...like "Sour Girl" by STP and "Fell On Black Days" by Soundgarden. Pearl Jam was relevant that had a sound that resonated with me. I liked Nirvana and the grunge sound but music today is totally controlled by the industry that makes the big money off of it.....
I saw Zep twice in concert and they kicked major ass!

Number 1...Most of the 20 years old I know who are rockers grew up too comfortable.
Number 2...If the Beatles didn't make money (nobody thought they would), the Stones, et al would never have gotten contracts.
And that's why Beyoncé gets to nauseate me all day long.

Anyone notice that bands have seemed to have completely lost all testosterone? Is this a a reflection of something cultural?

Sure, you'll find a small segment of bands that rock today. But there aren't that many, and they sort of tend to be not very popular. Well, at least in terms of what is popular in current music.

Every single time I discover a new band, either from a guest performance on a late night talk show, some footage of one of the popular festivals like coachella, or from cool radio stations that play lots of new music, I'm always amazed at how they DON'T ROCK. It's like, a very tame version of pop rock or...something. They're all so laid back. Like their balls have been removed.

When I was a teenager, man....it was a such a good time for music. Mid-90's. We had Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, 311, Stone Temple Pilots, Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, a thriving punk rock and ska scene, it was just an embarrassment of riches of bands that seriously fucking rocked. ROCKED!!!

Where are new bands like that today? I know some of those guys I mentioned above are still at it and actively touring today, but I'm mostly referring to new bands.

Many of the concerts I went to were just off the wall bonkers, bordering on chaos, I thought I was going to die many times in mosh pits. Also, there are no more mosh pits today! People just stand there with their smart phones filming the set. Lame.

Why don't new bands want to fucking ROCK? It seems to have come to a screeching halt. What the hell?

60's -- bands were starting to rock.
70's -- bands REALLY rocked. Led Zeppelin, etc.
80's -- music was super hit or miss, but there were still plenty of bands that rocked.
90's -- the peak of rocking the fuck out!
00's -- bands were still rocking
10's -- bands slowly stopped rocking
Present day -- it's very hard to find any NEW bands that want to rock

Is it something in the water? Too much soy products in our food supply?

Could it be that most of the interest in music has simply shifted to EDM and rap music? Nothing wrong with that, I'm into a lot of that stuff myself, but I'm just so surprised that people don't want to ROCK!

Thoughts?

I thought much the same thing but decided I'm just oldnor something. I do agree though that music is just lazy these days. Pretty much all one has to do it s look good lol synking to the genra of music the do and look good in the clothes the company that sponcers them makes and they got it. Far as the 90's and the birth of grunge, I went lottapoorloozers. I felt the same way about those guys. But I agree, everyone out there sucks ass.

Forum List

Back