Why doesn't Britain play baseball, basketball or American football?

Brits are stuck-up.

Never even gave the 3 American sports I mentioned a fair shake.

Their loss.

Soccer blows.

Why should they, they are a different culture. The most valuable sports franchise in the world is not any of the American sports, it is soccer, Manchester United.,

It's amazing that there are so many NFL teams in the top 10 most vaulable franchises. Especially considering it's only popular in one country and does not have the worlwide audience that soccer has. I expected more soccer teams.

Soccer sucks........Boring ass bullshit is all it is.

Its crazy thats its only us Americans that think this, go to almost any other country and they are nuts about soccer.

Soccer - "European football" really - is the least evolved of all footballs. The order of evolution is

Soccer

Australian Rules, Gaelic Football, Rugby

American Football, Canadian Football

I play ice hockey, ice hockey is more difficult than any sport.

]

A little personal bias there, champ?

He's almost right on with saying Hockey is the most difficult sport.

Here's the list:

Boxing
Ice Hockey
Football
Basketball
Wrestling
Martial Arts
Tennis
Gymnastics
Baseball/Softball
Soccer
Skiing: Alpine
Water Polo
Rugby
Lacrosse
Rodeo: Steer Wrestling

Source: ESPN.com: Page 2 - Sport Skills Difficulty Rankings

Phffttt..Skiing Alpine, Wrestling, Football, and Water Polo are all easier than Lacrosse.

Which armchair sports fan came up with that ordering...and where is golf?

Here's the list:

Boxing
Ice Hockey
Football
Basketball
Wrestling
Martial Arts
Tennis
Gymnastics
Baseball/Softball
Soccer
Water Polo
Rugby
Lacrosse

Any motor sport would be more difficult than any of the above

Lawn Mower Racing is more difficult than Gymnastics?
Drag Racing is more difficult than Rugby?

What is your favorite sport? Show us your list.

Are you girls just mad because your sport is not where you think it should be?
I would not have a list as such as I stick to road racing which to me would be the most difficult based on the danger involved and possibly the skill level required, each to their own and all that .
What Americans call baseball is called Rounders in the U.K, basketball is called netball with both sports generally only being played by girls in the U.K, American football is not unlike Irish football which is a mixture of soccer and rugby though it is not played in the U.K with the exception of N.I. Same sports , different names.

A little personal bias there, champ?

Here's the list:

Boxing
Ice Hockey
Football
Basketball
Wrestling
Martial Arts
Tennis
Gymnastics
Baseball/Softball
Soccer
Water Polo
Rugby
Lacrosse

Phffttt..Skiing Alpine, Wrestling, Football, and Water Polo are all easier than Lacrosse.

Lacrosse player huh? How'd I guess :cuckoo:

Here's the methodology used to come up with this list:

Made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of sports journalists.

We identified 10 categories, or skills, that go into athleticism, and then asked our eight panelists to assign a number from 1 to 10 to the demands each sport makes of each of those 10 skills. By totalling and averaging their responses, we arrived at a degree-of-difficulty number for each sport on a 1 to 100 scale. That number places the difficulty of performing each sport in context with the other sports we rated

ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong
STRENGTH: The ability to produce force. Example: NFL linebackers.
POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.
SPEED: The ability to move quickly. Example: Marion Jones, Maurice Green.
AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.
FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.
NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.
DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.
HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.
ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

Please, if you have one that has a better methodology I would love to read it. Other than the whining from you adolescents who think "their" sports it the toughest one of all, because...well...because I play it! :rolleyes:

[

Let me see your list.

I wouldn't make one because it's a stupid question. Some sports are more physical than others but in different ways, and in any case 'difficult' will always be too vague and relative to be meaningful.

Here's the list:

Boxing
Ice Hockey
Football
Basketball
Wrestling
Martial Arts
Tennis
Gymnastics
Baseball/Softball
Soccer
Water Polo
Rugby
Lacrosse

Made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of sports journalists.

We identified 10 categories, or skills, that go into athleticism, and then asked our eight panelists to assign a number from 1 to 10 to the demands each sport makes of each of those 10 skills. By totalling and averaging their responses, we arrived at a degree-of-difficulty number for each sport on a 1 to 100 scale. That number places the difficulty of performing each sport in context with the other sports we rated

ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong
POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.
AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.
FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.
NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.
DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.
HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.
ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

Please, if you have one that has a better methodology I would love to read it. Other than the whining from you adolescents who think "their" sports it the toughest one of all, because...well...because I play it! :rolleyes:

It's still all subjective, and any measure anywhere on that chart could be disputed legitimately. It's just a pointless question.

Soccer does indeed "blow". No self-respecting Brit would admit to preferring it over Rugby. Though I think you'll find that the reason we never gave the three examples you mentioned a "fair shake" is because they're off-shoots of the games we created in the first place. Rugby - American Football. Rounders - Baseball. Net Ball - Basketball.

Though Cricket is probably the most tedious game known to mankind.

Even moreso than Curling? Are you sure about that?

Immie

Here's the list:

Boxing
Ice Hockey
Football
Basketball
Wrestling
Martial Arts
Tennis
Gymnastics
Baseball/Softball
Soccer
Water Polo
Rugby
Lacrosse

Of course all those factors are important, but the weightings are all goofy. Be real. Skiing down hill using gravity is more difficult than Rugby?

The people who made this ordered list have probably never tried more than one item on the list.

[

How do you figure?

Probably the endurance, concentration, and targeting factors. All I know is that I have done all of them, and the order of the list is goofy.

The endurance involved in lacrosse is more demanding than water polo?!

Concentration is a particularly meaningless measure. A high degree of concentration is - obviously - required of all those sports.

Targeting is also a false measure because each of those sports involves a different kind of targeting.

No such comparisons can ever really be legitimate. All we are really talking about is what our favorite sports are and/or which ones we have worked the hardest (or been hurt the worst) at. Let's be honest.

How do you figure?

Probably the endurance, concentration, and targeting factors. All I know is that I have done all of them, and the order of the list is goofy.

The endurance involved in lacrosse is more demanding than water polo?!

Concentration is a particularly meaningless measure. A high degree of concentration is - obviously - required of all those sports.

Targeting is also a false measure because each of those sports involves a different kind of targeting.

No such comparisons can ever really be legitimate. All we are really talking about is what our favorite sports are and/or which ones we have worked the hardest (or been hurt the worst) at. Let's be honest.

So we agree that the list is illegitimate. Ok.

I play ice hockey, ice hockey is more difficult than any sport.

When it comes to hockey the Brits are so useless they cant even put a competitive Olympic A team together...

Oh, hockey is by far more difficult and physical than "rugby."

Let me put on a pair of skates and let me hit you going 15-20 mph...

Let me hip-check you at that speed and you will do a trick Tony Hawk would admire.

More Hip Checks - YouTube

Being a hockey player my whole life I absolutely agree with you. I've played football a long time too. And it's not close-hockey is tougher.

We have to be able to skate, have great hand-eye coordination, have a lot of endurance (especially defensemen), understand the flow of the game (which is quicker than most other sports), take punishment-and unlike football when you get laid out-you get right up and continue playing. And when you land-you land on ice, not grass.

Hockey players pride themselves on being tough-and playing through injuries. We shrug off injuries that participants in most other sports would leave the game for. Broken toes/feet, or ribs you play through.

Forum List

Back