Why doesn't Britain play baseball, basketball or American football?

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
The college football Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Ca on New YearsDay is better than anything you got

Brits are stuck-up.

Never even gave the 3 American sports I mentioned a fair shake.

Their loss.

Soccer blows.

Soccer does indeed "blow". No self-respecting Brit would admit to preferring it over Rugby. Though I think you'll find that the reason we never gave the three examples you mentioned a "fair shake" is because they're off-shoots of the games we created in the first place. Rugby - American Football. Rounders - Baseball. Net Ball - Basketball.

Though Cricket is probably the most tedious game known to mankind.

Because there's not enough football thuggery and rioting in the stands during the games?

Brits are stuck-up.

Their loss.

Soccer blows.

Actually you got it the wrong way around. Those that are stuck up are American's thinking that their "3 sports" are worth a damn outside the borders of the USA.

American football is doomed from the start because it requires so much gear to do. And before you say that you can just play it without the gear, then I say.. but then it is not American football but rugby with wussy weird rules.

Baseball is only popular in very few countries world wide since most other countries think it is a play ground game called round ball they played as 10 years olds and that goes on for hours and hours and hours and hours.. the American version of Cricket basically. And then there is the drug problem the sport has.. pretty much the only news about Baseball we get outside the US.

Basketball is quite popular outside the US, although with different rules. Fact is the non US players are often better as a team and individually than US players these days, which explains why countries like Argentina and Spain have won the world championship... and yes if the American NBA players were to play said championships then they would most likely win, but guess what... most American NBA players (and sadly some European now.. (/rude Gasol ) are so freaking lazy and unpatriotic that they actually refuse to play for their national teams because of their multi million dollar NBA contracts... pathetic. If a football player did that... gezzz the outcry there would be.

But it comes down to the following.....

Football only requires a round ball.. that is it.. it can be played anywhere at any time. The other sports requires much more gear and often requires large spaces to be played. So when kids or people in general can play football in the war torn streets of Mogadishu because they have a battered ball and a couple of markers for a goal, then they will have a damn hard time playing baseball, american football or basketball. That is why football > most other sports out there in popularity... and that is why Brits cant be bothered with the 3 big American sports... but remember it is not only the UK, but most of the world. So it is in fact the US that is not (like always one could say) being a team player with the rest of the world.. which is sad, since those in the US that do play football actually play quite well as a team and show that team spirit and national pride that is required.

Honestly, I'd like to see how a bunch of de-padded Americans would fare in the 6 Nations. Not very well, I'd be inclined to wager.

I guess it would depend on the sport they played, right? Just considering how much more athletic American Football players are than their UK counterparts, it would be a massacre and not in the way you think it would be. I'd put Ray Lewis, Troy Polamalu, and Ndamukong Suh against Ben Youngs, Johnathan Sexton, Sam Warburton or any of the 6 nations players in just about any test of athletic strength or speed. Easy money on who would come out on top.

You guys live in a fantasy world where you think that when you take the pads off of an NFL player that all of the sudden he looks like one of your gay 1980's jordache jean wearing futbol floppers...I mean players. Rugby is a cool sport, I'll give you that.

Edited to add: Most Americans don't give a rats ass about any other sport outside of what is played here in the states. Just like most British could give a flyin' fuck about the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, MLB and the NHL. Different cultures and countries like **NEWS FLASH** different things. Wow, what a shock. Not better, worse, bad or stupid than any other sports. Just. Different.

You don't care about our crap and we don't care about yours. Seems fair.

Last edited:
Soccer does indeed "blow". No self-respecting Brit would admit to preferring it over Rugby. Though I think you'll find that the reason we never gave the three examples you mentioned a "fair shake" is because they're off-shoots of the games we created in the first place. Rugby - American Football. Rounders - Baseball. Net Ball - Basketball.

rugby sucks worse than soccer

High-and mighty brits stucks in their ways

Dont play eve ONE(1) of the3 American team sports

Brits are stuck-up.

Their loss.

Soccer blows.

Actually you got it the wrong way around. Those that are stuck up are American's thinking that their "3 sports" are worth a damn outside the borders of the USA.

American football is doomed from the start because it requires so much gear to do. And before you say that you can just play it without the gear, then I say.. but then it is not American football but rugby with wussy weird rules.

Baseball is only popular in very few countries world wide since most other countries think it is a play ground game called round ball they played as 10 years olds and that goes on for hours and hours and hours and hours.. the American version of Cricket basically. And then there is the drug problem the sport has.. pretty much the only news about Baseball we get outside the US.

Basketball is quite popular outside the US, although with different rules. Fact is the non US players are often better as a team and individually than US players these days, which explains why countries like Argentina and Spain have won the world championship... and yes if the American NBA players were to play said championships then they would most likely win, but guess what... most American NBA players (and sadly some European now.. (/rude Gasol ) are so freaking lazy and unpatriotic that they actually refuse to play for their national teams because of their multi million dollar NBA contracts... pathetic. If a football player did that... gezzz the outcry there would be.

But it comes down to the following.....

Football only requires a round ball.. that is it.. it can be played anywhere at any time. The other sports requires much more gear and often requires large spaces to be played. So when kids or people in general can play football in the war torn streets of Mogadishu because they have a battered ball and a couple of markers for a goal, then they will have a damn hard time playing baseball, american football or basketball. That is why football > most other sports out there in popularity... and that is why Brits cant be bothered with the 3 big American sports... but remember it is not only the UK, but most of the world. So it is in fact the US that is not (like always one could say) being a team player with the rest of the world.. which is sad, since those in the US that do play football actually play quite well as a team and show that team spirit and national pride that is required.

You say the US is arrogant for thinking the rest of the world gives a damn about those 3 sports...then go on to say other areas of the world do care about 2/3 of them? :confused:

And btw Baseball is gaining TONS of popularity around the world right now. Americans no longer dominate the MLB like they used to.

The Brits have their own well established sports culture. They don't need to mimic ours. Good for them. Cheers!

rugby sucks worse than soccer

High-and mighty brits stucks in their ways

Dont play eve ONE(1) of the3 American team sports

Ginspy is too thick to realise that phrase could work both ways.

The college football Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Ca on New YearsDay is better than anything you got

They don't play American football because they don't like watching 5 minutes of commercials after every score - followed by a kickoff - and then 5 minutes of commercials again. 5 minutes of commercials for every TO, every quarter break, change of possession, and then as if that wasn't frequently enough - sometimes - just for the fuck of it.

I'm a huge CF fan but sorry - you can't expect someone who isn't into football to want to get into it when half the game is spent being advertised to.

As a fan who has attended all but 2 LSU home games in the past 7 years - I can say its extremely frustrating to sit in the stands and watch the teams and refs stand around and wait for people to watch commercials.

Last edited:
Why doesn't Britain play baseball, basketball or American football?
One things for sure, the Brits wouldn't have to worry about getting their teeth knocked out! :lol:

Honestly, I'd like to see how a bunch of de-padded Americans would fare in the 6 Nations. Not very well, I'd be inclined to wager.

The world's greatest rugby player would be humiliated and then reduced to a fine, pink mist if he tried to play in an NFL game. Soccer is even more of a joke. Sports that europeans think are 'tough' are generally those we reserve for our women and children.

Forum List

Back