Why do you go to the Movie Theater

I never go to theartre, overpriced tickets, overpriced crappy food, annoying people in the theatre with you etc. much better to watch it at home with good food and non-annoying people

I actually don't, I am patient enough to wait for a movie to come out on DVD and then I rent or buy it and watch it on a 54 inch TV, and I* can pause it and go to the ladies room and not miss a second :eusa_angel:

I went to see "Eclipse" this summer because a friend wanted to go and had no one to go with her. She paid and I got to see it really big. Prior to that, the last movie I saw in the theater was "Jonah: A Veggie Tale Adventure". :lol:

So you all do not support minimum wage local jobs?

I don't like sitting in crowded theaters with strangers coughing, talking, texting and smelling bad, in a seat I can't stretch out in, and the chance of getting head lice from the cushions the chairs are made out of.

So I guess I'm a commie!

My sentiments exactly, and don't forget the little BRAT that won't stop KICKING the back of your seat... and no, you're not a commie.

I've invested heavily in a home theater that anybody would be proud to own. I can practically rattle the NEIGHBORS windows with the system I have, and the 58" Samsung plasma is better than any projector picture I've ever seen, plus I get to sit in a big, fat, plush recliner and drink BEER. Can't do that in a theater. I'll take my home set up, you can keep the theater.

Last edited:
And pay all that money for a ticket, popcorn, drinks, snacks, etc....gas to get there, yada yada

When the movie will be coming out on DVD or BluRay in a month or two, and you can watch it in the comfort of your own home?

I find myself going less and less.

I never go to theartre, overpriced tickets, overpriced crappy food, annoying people in the theatre with you etc. much better to watch it at home with good food and non-annoying people

When I do go I prefer week days when it's not so crowded. The cell phones bother me, hot food. Talking. Some places really get bad inconsiderate crowds.

The last three movies I've seen in a theater were The Patriot, Avatar, and Red.

Most movies anymore don't lose anything by being viewed on a tv. The Hunt for Red October is a completely different movie on a big screen, as was Silverado. Overall, there is maybe one movie a year that ought to be seen on a big screen, if that many.

When there's a decent kid movie I take the little people. Which means once or twice a year. At their age and as rarely as we go it's still an experience to get excited about.

Otherwise, the last movie I saw in a theater was the third Lord of the Rings.

This is exactly what I do. Sometimes when it's me and the youngest, we'll sneak off to see the latest kids movie ... which isn't often. Despicable Me comes to mind.

I saw every LOTR movie on opening day and loved it! I used to frequent the movies often ... at least once a month. But that was a long long time ago when prices were much lower. Now, I'm much rather order a movie On Demand or just wait until it comes out on BlueRay. If it's one that I'm dying to see and think it's worth the $$$, I'll call up a friend and head out. Again, that hasn't happened in a very long time.

On that matter, why does On Demand suck? How come you still can't get a set top box that would have access (pay-per-view, of course) to virtually any movie you could find in a video store? I've had Comcast, and I now have Blue Ridge (which most of you have probably never heard of), and I also have Netflix on demand - The three suck, suck, and suck, respectively. All the movies are either 10 years old, lousy, or titles I've never heard of before. You get lucky now and then I guess, but a few weeks ago I actually concluded Charlie St Cloud was my best available option... :redface:... And I watched it... But I swear I didn't enjoy it...:lol:

The technology is certainly there, and I think there'd be a willing consumer, so why is the availability lacking?

I go to the movie theatre, because I prefer the great experience of seeing a movie (especially some of the good golden-oldie classic films, such as West Side Story, to name afew) as they're really and truly meant to be viewed; on a great big, wide movie screen, in a real movie theatre with the lights down low, and sharing the experience with a crowd of other people, as a temporary community, whether I know them or not, plus it gives me an opportunity to get out of the house and go out for an evening. All of this culminates in the reason(s) that I've resisted getting a VCR or a DVD player.

And pay all that money for a ticket, popcorn, drinks, snacks, etc....gas to get there, yada yada

When the movie will be coming out on DVD or BluRay in a month or two, and you can watch it in the comfort of your own home?

I don't go to the movie theater...

If you know the right people or have the right skills you can watch anything that's in the theaters immediately from the comfort of your own home - for free.

Not to mention having access to a projector is just like being at the movies..

I don't watch movies anyways..

I follow a few shows on Hulu but that is about it...

Oh yeah I gotta see if the new Fringe is up.

Last edited:

Have not been to the movie theater since I starting my subscription to Netflix. The equipment that is available for the home have to be really threatening to movie theaters.

A decent flat screen with decent speakers is fantastic. Going to a movie theater with your family is very expensive.

I go to the movie theatre, because I prefer the great experience of seeing a movie (especially some of the good golden-oldie classic films, such as West Side Story, to name afew) as they're really and truly meant to be viewed; on a great big, wide movie screen, in a real movie theatre with the lights down low, and sharing the experience with a crowd of other people, as a temporary community, whether I know them or not, plus it gives me an opportunity to get out of the house and go out for an evening. All of this culminates in the reason(s) that I've resisted getting a VCR or a DVD player.

I am willing to bet you have a rotary phone, a reel to reel tape player (since those new cassette thingy's are the devils toys) and a couple 78's?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back