Why do you go to the Movie Theater

Yeah, huh? Aren't there titties and various other exciting elements for a man to enjoy in that movie?

No. Unfortunately not that I remember.

We went opening night (a gift to my wife). Movie theater was sold out. There was one other male in the audience.

Oh I remember back in the day on HBO there was all kinds of good stuff.

From what I heard :eusa_shifty:

They're like all 50 now though....

I like seeing some movies before they're tainted by a million reviews and hype. If I've read the book, I really want to see it early.

I also like the audience reaction and big screen and sound.

When we were little, it was our treat to go to a Sunday movie. We had a small theatre across the street, we so looked forward to it.

I went last night to see The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. I smoked a phat spliff beforehand, too.

I saw all of the Lord of the Rings movies baked as well. And wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

great timing ...as friends just ask us to go see 'tron'? in 3 d.....hour drive one way.....will have to be the 9 pm showing....i havent been up past 9 pm for weeks now that i am back at work....good times...good times...

I can think of a two reasons to go to the theater:

Going to see a movie is a good early dating destination.

Some movies are such eye candy that they ought to be seen on the big screen.

That being said I haven't seen a movie in a threater in about five years.

This tells you two things about me...

I don't date much and I don't like movies that are short on plot and long on special effects.

When there's a decent kid movie I take the little people. Which means once or twice a year. At their age and as rarely as we go it's still an experience to get excited about.

Otherwise, the last movie I saw in a theater was the third Lord of the Rings.

Omg... Now that this has been brought to my attention, the last time we actually went to see a movie in the theatre it was that stupid love story with the redhead from Wedding Crashers, and holy crap before that, it was 30 days of Night... (2007!) Needless to say, our last 2 endeavors were very unpleasant.

Wait, I'm lying, we went more recently than that, up in Reading - Can't remember for the life of me what the hell we went to see though! It, too, must have been thoroughly forgettable.

I have no idea how long it's been since I've been in a movie theater - probably when my son was a child. The sound was deafening - that's all I remember about it.

Too expensive, very few movies worth seeing. Why bother?

I own just over 500 DVDs. Every movie on the AFI top 100 lists made up the foundation of the collection. The newest movie I own is Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring. The oldest movie I own is Birth of a Nation.

I haven't been to a theater to see a movie since I saw Capote at the Angelika in New York. Some Hollywood executive decided that movies should no longer be about real people and events. They saw the profits to be made by catering to the taste of 15 year old boys. Movies seem to be about comic books. The death of Chinatown and the birth of Batman. I sure do miss good current films.

Come over sometime and we'll have a double feature at the Pimplebutt Estate theater! Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice.

When there's a decent kid movie I take the little people. Which means once or twice a year. At their age and as rarely as we go it's still an experience to get excited about.

This is exactly what I do. Sometimes when it's me and the youngest, we'll sneak off to see the latest kids movie ... which isn't often. Despicable Me comes to mind.

I saw every LOTR movie on opening day and loved it! I used to frequent the movies often ... at least once a month. But that was a long long time ago when prices were much lower. Now, I'm much rather order a movie On Demand or just wait until it comes out on BlueRay. If it's one that I'm dying to see and think it's worth the $$$, I'll call up a friend and head out. Again, that hasn't happened in a very long time.

And pay all that money for a ticket, popcorn, drinks, snacks, etc....gas to get there, yada yada

When the movie will be coming out on DVD or BluRay in a month or two, and you can watch it in the comfort of your own home?

Believe it or not..I was talking about this with my girlfriend last night.

I really think theater and the collective sharing of storytelling is part and parcel with being human.

This is exactly what I do. Sometimes when it's me and the youngest, we'll sneak off to see the latest kids movie ... which isn't often. Despicable Me comes to mind.

I saw every LOTR movie on opening day and loved it! I used to frequent the movies often ... at least once a month. But that was a long long time ago when prices were much lower. Now, I'm much rather order a movie On Demand or just wait until it comes out on BlueRay. If it's one that I'm dying to see and think it's worth the $$$, I'll call up a friend and head out. Again, that hasn't happened in a very long time.

Where I used to live there was the drive in double feature (I love the drive in!) and there was a $2 second run theater in easy walking distance. I used to go to when I had the chance, if it was something I really wanted to see sometimes I'd go alone and just relax. That was in the days of law school or when I was just starting to work and constantly under stress, so 2 hours in a theater with nobody bugging me, no phone ringing and no books staring at me was a great escape. Now you're right, it's just gotten too expensive. And I haven't seen anything come along in years I thought was worth the money and the aggravation of finding a sitter, yada yada.

Forum List

Back