Why do so many teachers leave the profession?

Long hours, low pay and lack of their profession being considered "professional"

Approx 50% leave before they hit 5 years on the job

High Teacher Turnover Rates are a Big Problem for America?s Public Schools - Forbes

Discuss

I think most give up because their fantasy of being about to turn large numbers of spoiled, undisciplined, low motivated children into eager, well behaved, loving children proved to be much more difficult than they thought.

With most teachers being women many have had children of their own and have chosen to stay home with them instead of dealing with the brats at school.

He uses "we" to lend himself credibility. It's a farce. He always rejoinds with a "we" comment when I tell him to quit talking to me.

He's fucking psycho.

If it's so odious, one wonders why on earth they would go into that field....

Oh yeah...it's because they're stupid, and lazy, and wouldn't make it as doctors or lawyers. It's the perfect job!

They go into it because it's full time pay for part time work.

You are simply silly.

In CT there are 180 days of school. if there are 8 weekend days per month and we say each month is 30 days then each month has 22 days of classes

Therefore a teacher in CT works just over 8 months a year.

That is a part time job.

That is ridiculous, Skull.

And.....KG......you speak of Jake being "psycho". You have been in some kind of therapy, have you not?

The "why" of Skull Pilot and his complete lack of understanding about the teaching profession in public school eludes me right now, but it will come out.

I do understand KG, though, and, yes, she has been in therapy, for some time. She has transference issues, and add to that I have made her look foolish on numerous times here on the Board, a "sin" she will never forgive.

She is best kept on Ignore most of the time. On the positive side, she is a most ardent, dedicated advocate for children and the unborn.

Last edited:
Skull, you really have no idea of what you are talking about.

Call the HS counselor. Make an appointment to shadow an instructor for an entire day. Do something like Spec Ed, Theatre, or Math.

OH teaching theater now that's hard work.

Cut the crap. Nothing about teaching basic HS courses is difficult. The fucking material hasn't changed since my grandparents were in school.

Tell me how much as US history, basic English grammar, and algebra changed in the past 100 years.

If a teacher can't get his work done in an 8 hour day then that's his problem. Anyway most professionals I know plan to work at least 50 hours a week for their salary and they have to work all year long not just 3/4 of the year.

as usual there is more to it than that.

teachers now must track progress using charts and graphs. grades are no longer good enough.
when half the class is sped there are dozens of students with 10 accomodations each.mmaccomodations. teachers are no longer able to discipline students. sometimes the curriculum changes and you must start from scratch using a new approach. ever try fractiion rap?and if the lazy and stupid kid does not get it, who gets the blame?

in rality most students don't need albrabantway. vocational training is more appropriate. but parents insist their little Einstein will be a brain surgeon in spite of an IQ of 85 and the ambition of a sloth.

I don't know how it is in Skulls state, but my sister in law, who is a public school teacher, works 10 hour days. And no, she doesn't have time to just hang around during school hours like skull thinks. :rolleyes:

Yeah sure. So if the classes only run about 6 hours a day and the teachers don't teach every period what are they doing for those other 4 or 5 hours?

I don't buy it. You all put these people on a pedestal but in reality they don't work full time and they don't work that hard.

Really how hard is it to teach US history, or geometry, or English Comp for years on end? Nothing changes.

try teaching special ed where you teach several subjects to several different ability levels, change diapers, get spit on and hit and get blamed by the parents for their 35 IQ child's lack of progress

Yeah sure. So if the classes only run about 6 hours a day and the teachers don't teach every period what are they doing for those other 4 or 5 hours?

I don't buy it. You all put these people on a pedestal but in reality they don't work full time and they don't work that hard.

Really how hard is it to teach US history, or geometry, or English Comp for years on end? Nothing changes.

You think teachers teach 1 class, once a day? o_O

Ok. You keep on keeping on. Clearly you are entrenched in this belief and have no desire for facts to get in your way.

What is with you people and pretending that people say things other than what they said?

He never said that. You made it up and assigned it to him. Poor form...and stupid...of you. But it's what we expect from you. Keep on keeping on.

Last time I looked...

6-5=1

They go into it because it's full time pay for part time work.

You are simply silly.

In CT there are 180 days of school. if there are 8 weekend days per month and we say each month is 30 days then each month has 22 days of classes

That is a part time job.

I can only speak for myself.

the hours I put in are not oppressive.
The compensation package is ok, but not great. That includes most summers off.
This past summer I was not off. I had to take 2 courses at my own expense to keep my job.
I have to change my curriculum every year for 5 to 6 subjects. I have to pull lessons and curriculum out my ass. No text books no kidding.
I fly by the seat of my pants.

The worst part of the job is people telling me how easy I have it and making me the scapegoat for everything they or their children have failed to accomplish in life or school.

I have had parents and students cuss at me and threaten me without any consequences.
It's getting old.

You are simply silly.

That is a part time job.

I can only speak for myself.

the hours I put in are not oppressive.
The compensation package is ok, but not great. That includes most summers off.
This past summer I was not off. I had to take 2 courses at my own expense to keep my job.
I have to change my curriculum every year for 5 to 6 subjects. I have to pull lessons and curriculum out my ass. No text books no kidding.
I fly by the seat of my pants.

The worst part of the job is people telling me how easy I have it and making me the scapegoat for everything they or their children have failed to accomplish in life or school.

I have had parents and students cuss at me and threaten me without any consequences.
It's getting old.

Being a spec ed instructor is a very special, very stressful job. I have known some who have done it for 20 years and more, and I have no idea how. You must be a very special person.

You're in the wrong profession.

We have a good crop of teachers in our charter schools now...people who want to teach, who are happy to be pulling in a paycheck...who aren't under the thumb of the unions......eventually I see a purge taking place across the board. Then maybe I won't have to deal with idiots who don't know what the word *recent* means....

So if the classes only run about 6 hours a day...
In CT there are 180 days of school.
You're in the wrong profession.

We have a good crop of teachers in our charter schools now...people who want to teach, who are happy to be pulling in a paycheck...who aren't under the thumb of the unions......eventually I see a purge taking place across the board. Then maybe I won't have to deal with idiots who don't know what the word *recent* means....

So KG,

Do you think those "good crop of teachers" work only 6 hours per day 180 days per year? That the only time this good crop of teachers "work" is when students are in the classroom?

>>>>

Last edited:
So KG's simple solution is to quit. All that's great since America is leading the world in education why try anything else. All teachers should just quit and stop looking for any solution. That way millions of KG's will grow up to run the world...what could be wrong with that?

Anyone seen "idiocracy"?

Forum List

Back