Why do so many teachers leave the profession?

I suspect a lot more teachers will leave if asked to teach that Darwin was wrong, and other crap some states have put into their curriculum.

long hours? lol how many damn days do they get off? and wtf? whats so hard sitting in a room of rug rats for like 6 hours? its the liberal dream job and you get to teach them to be liberals so when they grow up they can vote for your unions and your pay check, how much more do they want?

They aren 't leaving voluntarily. They leave when they are arrested for molesting the students.

If we can find out why, maybe there is an opportunity to organize the information and sell it to disgruntled taxpayers in districts?

Probably the strongest sustaining aspect of quality public education when it was the best in the world (before about 1975) was relatively high turnover. Most districts could look forward every year to 5% to 20% new faces with the newest ideas and a lot of energy. All that vanished as public sector unions got more power and money and the systems got bloated and the focus turned more toward the nominal servants (certified staff) than the masters (taxpayers) or the product (graduates).

By 1983, less than ten years after the sea change, public education was floundering (read, "A Nation at Risk"; a serious acknowledgement the quality of the product was in decline). It isn't teachers, it is bureaucrats, textbook mfgs and the load of nanny state mandated bullshit teachers deal with in order to get to the teaching part.

It is laugh out loud funny that morons threw money at it for thirty years before a serious movement to gut the existing pe system developed.

Last edited:
"Before 5 years"?
I think that's the point at which teachers are either given tenure or are fired through RIF (Reduction In Force). The reason 50% leave is that they are fired, rather than granted tenure. The reason they're fired is because it's cheaper to re-hire someone fresh out of college. They then give them the "5 year run" and then fire their asses.

It's a racket. I used to have such empathy for teachers when Mrs. H. got hired. Yes her days often extended late into the night working on lesson plans and grading papers. Sure the summers off were great, but it averaged out to a 40 hour week even considering those summers off.

Now- I could give a shit. It is a racket fraught with nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism.

Long hours, low pay and lack of their profession being considered "professional"

That's not what the article says at all.

Teachers cite lack of planning time, workload, and lack of influence over school policy among other reasons for their decision to leave the profession or transfer schools

Low pay, my ass. In many states teachers are paid higher with salary and benefits than most of the people paying them with their tax dollars. Remember the Chicago teachers' strike last year? The average salary in the Chicago public school system is $68,000. Many states still provide a lifelong pension too. In places like California, that can be six figures.

Long hours? They get most of the summer off just like the students. They get all the holidays off and most of the winter and spring break days.

I would argue the biggest reason is the lack of discipline of students in the class room, particularly in urban schools, and the idiot bureaucrats making decisions that don't make sense.

Last edited:
Long hours, low pay and lack of their profession being considered "professional"

Approx 50% leave before they hit 5 years on the job

High Teacher Turnover Rates are a Big Problem for America?s Public Schools - Forbes

Discuss

Oh, I'm a 27 year vet and made damned sure my kids never even better consider it as a career! For one, this country no longer values education. Being a simpleton smartass is more valued (see: your TV menu and surf some channels, up to and including the news). For two, there are not many other professions that demand so much education for so little financial return. Three, yea, the kids are increasingly more difficult, but try dealing with mentally crippled parents! The hell are you supposed to reason with someone who washes down their Xanax with Captain Morgan? Four, in the past 4 years since politicians decided to make unions the root of all that is evil in the United States - the trendy scapegoat - who'd want to deal with that?

There's many other reasons I advise any and everyone to stay the hell away from it. And that's a damned shame.

"No influence over school policy". That's for sure. Administrators, supervisors, and principals think of themselves as gods ruling over their fiefdom. They make me sick. Crooked bastards.

I'd like to see common data on many other fields...

I'll bet that 5 years is common in most... I remember reading the same thing in a journal publication regarding my field (medical imaging) back in the 90s. Pretty sure that 5 years is the average for MANY MANY fields...

Yeah, there isn't much honor in reprogramming children to be liberal fools to begin with.

We need to "reprogram" our education system to teach family values, like hard work and accountability!

long hours? lol how many damn days do they get off? and wtf? whats so hard sitting in a room of rug rats for like 6 hours? its the liberal dream job and you get to teach them to be liberals so when they grow up they can vote for your unions and your pay check, how much more do they want?

Actually, teachers work way longer Than that. Typically the get to work a hour before school starts, then does 6-8 hours on class...then they have to grade papers. If they spend 6 min per paper × 30 students = 3 hours more

You're talking about just that equals 11 hours just on the example above. Not including if they tutor after schhol, coach, or meet with parents

So yeah, long hours

Actually, teachers work way longer Than that. Typically the get to work a hour before school starts, then does 6-8 hours on class...then they have to grade papers. If they spend 6 min per paper × 30 students = 3 hours more

You're talking about just that equals 11 hours just on the example above. Not including if they tutor after schhol, coach, or meet with parents

So yeah, long hours

You spoke the truth, but few here will believe it except those of us who have done it or know people who do it. I'm afraid you're wasting your time with the truth with this bunch of haters.

So yeah, long hours

You spoke the truth, but few here will believe it except those of us who have done it or know people who do it. I'm afraid you're wasting your time with the truth with this bunch of haters.

You wouldn;t know "truth" if it bit you in the ass...

So yeah, long hours

thats not work,..... sitting on you butt reading, heck you and I do that for a hobby....AFTER our real jobs......

"Before 5 years"?
I think that's the point at which teachers are either given tenure or are fired through RIF (Reduction In Force). The reason 50% leave is that they are fired, rather than granted tenure. The reason they're fired is because it's cheaper to re-hire someone fresh out of college. They then give them the "5 year run" and then fire their asses.

It's a racket. I used to have such empathy for teachers when Mrs. H. got hired. Yes her days often extended late into the night working on lesson plans and grading papers. Sure the summers off were great, but it averaged out to a 40 hour week even considering those summers off.

Now- I could give a shit. It is a racket fraught with nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism.

I bet you couldn't find one piece of info that backs up any of that cool fiction you just wrote.

I'm sure teachers have different reasons, depending on where they are teaching. Maybe some smaller communities don't offer as much money and a more boring place to live. Some cities mean having students speaking numerous different languages, making it impossible to do your job. Some places are just run down, despite years of pouring more and more money into them. Always wonder where the money goes, probably to shore up union coffers. Maybe some end up with children who completely lack discipline. We've all met those parents who didn't teach their kids a damn thing and said they can't wait to send them to school so they'll be the teacher's problem then.

Lots and lots of reasons. Our local paper publishes expenses of the city and the teachers at our schools who have been around a while do quite well, way better than the average job in this area. Plus they get the entire summer off. Many stay with it, so there has to be a draw.

Forum List

Back