Why do Republicans celebrate the failure of Green Energy

well, it turns out you have some reading to do! Did you ask me to do this search because you don't think the oil companies are subsidized or that you are just too lazy to do it yourself? Or maybe you are under the impression that the oil companies AREN'T subsidized. That would be amazing because you're smart enough to know about that.

So, here are some links:

NY Times Advertisement

What

One is from the New York Times, the other from The Heritage Foundation. Both are biased, but neither refute the existence of subsidies for the oil business.

Well, you can never underestimate the stupidity of politicians. However, they are counting purchases for the strategic petroleum reserve as a subsidy. That is no more a "subsidy" than purchasing office supplies is a "subsidy" to Office Depot.

The rest of those subsidies are entirely unnecessary. They should be abolished. They were probably passed during the carter administration.

Last edited:
Politics aside, what is to be gained if Green Energy fails as an alternative energy source? Isn't having alternatives to big oil a benefit for this country? Why is it official GOP policy that Drill, baby drill is the only acceptable answer to our energy needs?

All new technologies suffer failures. More money has been lost in this country by speculative oil failures than anything else

Why the celebrations?

How is your home heated ?
What's your car run on ?
Who provides your home with electricity ?

You want to replace all that with solar panels, windmills and a Chevy Volt (which isn't worth a shit) at tens of thousands of dollars for installation and maintenance, knock yourself out.

I can't afford to.

Short sighted and off base.........

Oh contraire....Those comments are spot on!
I say this to all who wish to see green tech used, go right ahead and absorb the cost before demanding others do the same. Then get back to us.

Nice of the left to finally admit that green energy was a hoax.

How is it a hoax, exactly?

It's one thing to criticize boneheaded subsidies, but that has nothing at all to do with the value of energy alternatives.

Politics aside, what is to be gained if Green Energy fails as an alternative energy source? Isn't having alternatives to big oil a benefit for this country? Why is it official GOP policy that Drill, baby drill is the only acceptable answer to our energy needs?

All new technologies suffer failures. More money has been lost in this country by speculative oil failures than anything else

Why the celebrations?

i think it's simply become a wedge issue that tv and radio personalities use to separate two parties that are very similar. if we americans were smart, we would be doing everything we could to stop sending gobs of money to the people who wanna blow us up.

and can you imagine how much less political power the middle east would have if we developed something that made their natural resource much less powerful?

We can do that by harvesting our own resources. Unfortunately your side is somthered by the enviro-wacko lobby. Your problem.

EVERY railroad in the US was subsidized by the government. Free land, eminent domain, subsidies, protection of monopolies.....all made the railroad industry a billion dollar industry back when a billion dollars meant something

Wrong. The railroads that built the transcontinental lines all went bankrupt.

Interstate highway system is a boondoggle?

Yes, it's a huge waste of money.

Thanks for reminding me why your posts are not worth responding to

In other words, you have no facts or logic to counter what I posted.

Please realize republicans still think the earth is flat, the sun the center of the universe, Hoover and Reagan were great presidents, taxes are the work of the devil, wealth is created by magic, and Newt is a excellent family man. Given these and the rest of their general idiocy, topics like progress in energy is way way over their heads. First they have to move out of the 15th century.

"Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"Americans may have elected a Republican president and Congress, but they are unlikely to go back to a world in which one illness can devastate their last years or one storm can destroy their lives. Because government is the one institution that allows us some control over our future, conservatism, which distrusts government so much, is best viewed as a natural counter to liberalism, which, if left unchecked, tends towards wasteful bureaucracy. Indeed, as the Bush administration fully proves, conservatism remains a force of opposition even when it purports to be a governance party. And so the best that can be hoped for is that American voters will do for conservatives what they are unable to do themselves: to vote them out of office." "Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

And leftists think Al Gore is legitimate, green energy works, Obama is smart, AGW is real, oil is bad, and Marxism works.

Yeah, you guys are fucking genius'.

:lol:

Pointing out that green energy hasn't worked is hardly celebrating. Failure to recognize that green energy has been a monumentally expensive failure is delusional.

What next? When the oil runs out. Do we turn to water wheels and real horse power?

This really isn't a hard concept, Kiddies...as fossil fuels run out the cost of that energy source will rise thus making alternative energy sources economically viable.
....So, we've ALL got the obligation to WAIT.....until the 1%ers have sufficiently GORGED themselves, first, huh??

handjob.gif

e00570d17a1fe3dcad7dabff3ebAbbie-Hoffman-232x300.jpg

FUCK THAT!!!!!!

EVERY railroad in the US was subsidized by the government. Free land, eminent domain, subsidies, protection of monopolies.....all made the railroad industry a billion dollar industry back when a billion dollars meant something

What does them going bankrupt have to do with they each got 48K and 13 thousand acres of land for each mile completed?
The reason they had financial trouble had nothing to do with the massive subsidies they received.
Their owners were bad business men. The blew their $$ and borrowed heavily.
Add in the worst President of all time US Grant not getting enough bribe $$ thus withholding large sums of payments and there you have it.

Short sighted and off base.........

Not really...

There is a time and a palce for everything.

When unemployment is at 8.5-10% and When middle class America is struggling to keep up with their existing cost of living is by no means the time to expect that those same middle class Americans will invest lots of money now in green energy for long term savings.

To invest 20K for me to have solar panels installed so I can save 2000 a year in heating bills sounds great in the long run......but who wants to take the chance now by letting go of 20K?

Because it's not economically viable now is the reason why money should be spent on R&D to come up with technology, innovations, and new energies so it becomes economically viable.

Again, that attitude is short sighted and off-base.
Let the private sector invest in R&D....Leave the taxpayers out of it.
The rpoblem here is the federal government's insistence on picking winners and losers.
The current administration is committed to only certain types of new technologies.
Those being what the political base of the Obaam admin supports.
For example, Obama and his advisors know damned well Keystone would not only be an economic boon to the govt in the form of royalties and other payments, the pipline would create thousands of permanent high paying jobs. However Obama must solidify his voting base.
Looking at the balance sheet, it is highly likely that Obama's people analyzed the numbers and decided that cancelling an estiamted 20k jobs was better than alienating hundreds of thousands of environmentally conscious democrat voters.

Why the celebrations?

I know...it's bizarre because it is where the future economy is. At some point this planet will be devoid of it's fossil fuels. I feel the same way when the lefties and reactionary morons of all stripes are quick to object to nuclear. It was Senator McCain's best idea to want to expand the nuke grid.
Screw THE GRID!!!!!
....'n that ol' dinosaur-jockey McCain!!!

:cuckoo:

Please realize republicans still think the earth is flat, the sun the center of the universe, Hoover and Reagan were great presidents, taxes are the work of the devil, wealth is created by magic, and Newt is a excellent family man. Given these and the rest of their general idiocy, topics like progress in energy is way way over their heads. First they have to move out of the 15th century.

"Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"Americans may have elected a Republican president and Congress, but they are unlikely to go back to a world in which one illness can devastate their last years or one storm can destroy their lives. Because government is the one institution that allows us some control over our future, conservatism, which distrusts government so much, is best viewed as a natural counter to liberalism, which, if left unchecked, tends towards wasteful bureaucracy. Indeed, as the Bush administration fully proves, conservatism remains a force of opposition even when it purports to be a governance party. And so the best that can be hoped for is that American voters will do for conservatives what they are unable to do themselves: to vote them out of office." "Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

And leftists think Al Gore is legitimate, green energy works, Obama is smart, AGW is real, oil is bad, and Marxism works.

Yeah, you guys are fucking genius'.

:lol:

What does Al Gore have to do with all of the glaciers melting in Glacier National Park?

I suppose those 124 glaciers that were there in 1850 just walked away?
My great, great grandfather visited Montana many times in the mid 1800s. He wrote of the 150 glaciers there as they were all named.
We have 26 now as the others melted.
I suppose glaciers melt from this global warming many now claim we are in.
Damn, how can you make silly jokes about something as serious as this?

Because it's not economically viable now is the reason why money should be spent on R&D to come up with technology, innovations, and new energies so it becomes economically viable.

Again, that attitude is short sighted and off-base.
Well, then if you have such vision, put your own money at risk, rather than looting the federal treasury and, ultimately, my pocket.

Talk about off base.

Talk about a predictable response.

Like it or not government money plays a role now and will continue to play a big role in solving issues like this that involve the entire nation.

You will gnash, we will move forward.
No sir....That kind of backward thinking has got us into the federal deficit mess.
Government must back off and stop manipulating the marketplace.
Independent companies capable of creating these technologies do not want their hands tied by bureaucracy and red tape that is attached to government subsidies.

What does them going bankrupt have to do with they each got 48K and 13 thousand acres of land for each mile completed?

It shows that subsidies are not the reason railroads grew and prospered.

The reason they had financial trouble had nothing to do with the massive subsidies they received.

Wrong. Actually, it did. In order to get the maximum subsidies, the railroads built spaghetti like routes. The often diverted hundreds of miles to get the home town of some Congressman on the route. The track was poorly constructed and wouldn't last. There was no way they could make money on these routes because of the way they were built.

Their owners were bad business men. The blew their $$ and borrowed heavily.

Bad businessmen always farm the government rather than run their businesses in a way that keeps costs down and appeals to customers.

Add in the worst President of all time US Grant not getting enough bribe $$ thus withholding large sums of payments and there you have it.

Bribery and corruption are the inevitable results of government subsidies. Just look a the Solyndra scandal. It's amazing how current events remind us of the Grant Administration, isn't it?

Why the celebrations?

because it makes them feel vindicated so they can shriek "drill baby drill"

Don't go the way of wrongwinger and the rest, Jill.. you are better than just putting out this absolute rubbish sloganeering and misinformation

Do you think that oil has never accepted any federal money for development, exploration or transportation? Was the oil business in this or any other country one founded upon and sustained exclusively by private investment?

Is this why Conservatives find carbon fuel so noble? If it is, it goes to prove my theory that Conservatives are poor students of history.

Speaking of being a poor student of history, google "history of the oil industry" and report back to the class how the US government developed the oil industry. We'll wait.

well, it turns out you have some reading to do! Did you ask me to do this search because you don't think the oil companies are subsidized or that you are just too lazy to do it yourself? Or maybe you are under the impression that the oil companies AREN'T subsidized. That would be amazing because you're smart enough to know about that.

So, here are some links:

NY Times Advertisement

What

One is from the New York Times, the other from The Heritage Foundation. Both are biased, but neither refute the existence of subsidies for the oil business.

Nice try NK, but no cigar. Show us where the US government was involved in the founding of the oil industry. You used the word "founded" and "history". You set the parameters. Stick to them. We aren't talking today where petroleum is a national security concern. We are talking the historical founding and development of the oil industry and who was responsible for it, the government or private business. Try again.

Why the celebrations?

And you should choose another hobby such as knitting or baking cookies. This is no place for you.

I started to reply to your post finger boy, but when I got to the part about the interstate highways being a boondoggle I remembered who I was responding to

You posts come from a Childs perspective and do not merit an appropriate response

It's not the green energy's fault the owners are taking the government stimulus and giving it back to the guy that stole it from the American people to begin with.

I'm all for "GREEN", I just don't think politicians are the ones that should be selling it. Private investors + private money = successful business, Americans win and have real jobs. Government - campaign contributions = business failures, Americans lose and it costs them more than just money.
Do you think that oil has never accepted any federal money for development, exploration or transportation? Was the oil business in this or any other country one founded upon and sustained exclusively by private investment?

Is this why Conservatives find carbon fuel so noble? If it is, it goes to prove my theory that Conservatives are poor students of history.

Hardly the point. Contrary to the Left's belief that large oil companies receive the lion's share of subsidies, it is actually small or independent oil business that receives them.
Fossil fuels are not in any way "noble". Those fuels are simply the least costly, easiest to market and of course used in thousands of different applications.
Ah, yes.....convenience.....the life-blood o' lazy-ass conservatism.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqokqE5dRmM]We choose to go to the Moon - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Why the celebrations?

And you should choose another hobby such as knitting or baking cookies. This is no place for you.

thanks for the advise. it fits with your fifth grade education. :thup:

now feel free to throw a tantrum because of the neg.

Forum List

Back