Why do people put up with the US healthcare system?

Do you know where the risky business of developing drugs takes place? It's not in the big pharma companies at all. It's from money given by the US govt in grants and the like. Once something has been shown to be successful the big Pharma companies pick it up and then work on it a little and then sell it for massive profits.

These companies are making massive profits. So them selling drugs cheaper isn't stifling R&D as you said, it'd be stifling their profits.

Pharmaceutical industry gets high on fat profits - BBC News

_78427037_pharmaceutical_profits_624.gif

Yep, they have massive profit margins. Not putting it into R&D at all.

"With some drugs costing upwards of $100,000 for a full course, and with the cost of manufacturing just a tiny fraction of this, it's not hard to see why."

Johnson & Johnson made a profit of $13.8 BILLION in this particular year (probably 2013), a profit margin of 19%. It spend $17.2 BILLION on marketing, and $8.2 billion of R%D. Yeah, it spends DOUBLE on marketing than on R&D. It's R&D is less than its profits, R&D is only 1/9th of their total revenue.

Pfizer, another US company, has profit margins of 43%. $6.6 billion on R&D and profits of $22 billion. Though they spend a higher percentage of their total revenue on R&D, it's still not that much.

"Until recently, paying bribes to doctors to prescribe their drugs was commonplace at big pharmas,"

"The rules on gifts, educational grants and sponsoring lectures, for example, are less clear cut, and these practices remain commonplace in the US."

"Indeed a recent study found that doctors in the US receiving payments from pharma companies were twice as likely to prescribe their drugs."

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/ftpdocs/76xx/doc7615/10-02-drugr-d.pdf

"
The federal government spent more than $25 billion on health-related R&D in 2005. Only some of that spending is explicitly related to the development of new pharmaceuticals. However, much of it is devoted to basic research on the mechanisms of disease, which underpins the pharmaceutical industry’s search for new drugs."

So the US spends about the same amount as the top three Pharma companies in the world on R&D and doesn't make a profit from it.

"federal grants help to train many of the researchers who are hired by drug companies."

"In general, the government tends to focus on basic research, whereas private firms focus much more on applied research and development"

So basically the Pharma companies are making it rich. Their profits are high, they could reduce drug prices, they could do a lot, but because of the nature of the US's for profit healthcare system they don't need to. A system which is not for profit would be far more beneficial as it would cost a lot less, and force the drug companies to not massively overcharge for drugs, as it can't do in other countries.
Yup, pharmaceutical companies are mainly massive marketing and sales forces. They have legions of attractive women sent out to flirt with doctors in order to get their products into the market.

very true. big pharma is raping us. Has obozo done anything about that? has the hildebeast proposed doing anything about it? of course not, they are financial slaves to big pharma.

Why do drug patents run for 12 years? Why are they allowed to make a tiny change in the formula and get a new patent? Why cant Canadian drugs be sold in the USA?

If you libs want to attack something, attack big pharma.

It was HWBush and WBush who pushed us into this corner. And as we all know, WBush made no effort to even pretend to pay for his extravegant spending of the tax payer's money.

when Bush left office the national debt was around 10T. the result of 43 presidents and over 200 years. after almost 8 years of Obama its 19T. now tell me again which president spent extravagantly.
Which president crashed the US economy making it necessary to spend Trillions on assistance programs?

Clearly Obama, because he has superpowers that he was able to do things before he was even president. He has mind control powers and made Bush invade Iraq, trash the economy, mess up everything else.....

Do you know where the risky business of developing drugs takes place? It's not in the big pharma companies at all. It's from money given by the US govt in grants and the like. Once something has been shown to be successful the big Pharma companies pick it up and then work on it a little and then sell it for massive profits.

These companies are making massive profits. So them selling drugs cheaper isn't stifling R&D as you said, it'd be stifling their profits.

Pharmaceutical industry gets high on fat profits - BBC News

_78427037_pharmaceutical_profits_624.gif

Yep, they have massive profit margins. Not putting it into R&D at all.

"With some drugs costing upwards of $100,000 for a full course, and with the cost of manufacturing just a tiny fraction of this, it's not hard to see why."

Johnson & Johnson made a profit of $13.8 BILLION in this particular year (probably 2013), a profit margin of 19%. It spend $17.2 BILLION on marketing, and $8.2 billion of R%D. Yeah, it spends DOUBLE on marketing than on R&D. It's R&D is less than its profits, R&D is only 1/9th of their total revenue.

Pfizer, another US company, has profit margins of 43%. $6.6 billion on R&D and profits of $22 billion. Though they spend a higher percentage of their total revenue on R&D, it's still not that much.

"Until recently, paying bribes to doctors to prescribe their drugs was commonplace at big pharmas,"

"The rules on gifts, educational grants and sponsoring lectures, for example, are less clear cut, and these practices remain commonplace in the US."

"Indeed a recent study found that doctors in the US receiving payments from pharma companies were twice as likely to prescribe their drugs."

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/ftpdocs/76xx/doc7615/10-02-drugr-d.pdf

"
The federal government spent more than $25 billion on health-related R&D in 2005. Only some of that spending is explicitly related to the development of new pharmaceuticals. However, much of it is devoted to basic research on the mechanisms of disease, which underpins the pharmaceutical industry’s search for new drugs."

So the US spends about the same amount as the top three Pharma companies in the world on R&D and doesn't make a profit from it.

"federal grants help to train many of the researchers who are hired by drug companies."

"In general, the government tends to focus on basic research, whereas private firms focus much more on applied research and development"

So basically the Pharma companies are making it rich. Their profits are high, they could reduce drug prices, they could do a lot, but because of the nature of the US's for profit healthcare system they don't need to. A system which is not for profit would be far more beneficial as it would cost a lot less, and force the drug companies to not massively overcharge for drugs, as it can't do in other countries.
Yup, pharmaceutical companies are mainly massive marketing and sales forces. They have legions of attractive women sent out to flirt with doctors in order to get their products into the market.

very true. big pharma is raping us. Has obozo done anything about that? has the hildebeast proposed doing anything about it? of course not, they are financial slaves to big pharma.

Why do drug patents run for 12 years? Why are they allowed to make a tiny change in the formula and get a new patent? Why cant Canadian drugs be sold in the USA?

If you libs want to attack something, attack big pharma.

It was HWBush and WBush who pushed us into this corner. And as we all know, WBush made no effort to even pretend to pay for his extravegant spending of the tax payer's money.

when Bush left office the national debt was around 10T. the result of 43 presidents and over 200 years. after almost 8 years of Obama its 19T. now tell me again which president spent extravagantly.
Which president crashed the US economy making it necessary to spend Trillions on assistance programs?

Clinton, Bush, and Obama. they are all to blame for the economic mess

How a bite from a stray dog shows the sick state of U.S. healthcare

"The first shot at Royal Angkor International Hospital cost $125." (Cambodia)

"Jan received her second Verorab shot at a clinic in northern Thailand. The bill this time: A mere $18.50"

"Things changed dramatically once the Kerns returned to this country. For her third shot, Jan visited Torrance Memorial Medical Center. It was a Sunday, and she had to go to the emergency room, so that added considerably to her cost. The tab for a single injection: $5,254.85."

"“It’s obvious that our system is unlike any other health system,” said Uwe Reinhardt, a healthcare economist at Princeton University. “Other systems were set up to care for patients. Ours was set up by the providers — the hospitals and drug companies — for their own benefit.”"

Most countries in the world have healthcare to treat patients, the US has healthcare to make healthcare providers money.

So much money gets wasted in corruption, it's something like 3% of US GDP at the very least.
Brainwashing.

"Jan received her second Verorab shot at a clinic in northern Thailand. The bill this time: A mere $18.50"

"Things changed dramatically once the Kerns returned to this country. For her third shot, Jan visited Torrance Memorial Medical Center. It was a Sunday, and she had to go to the emergency room, so that added considerably to her cost. The tab for a single injection: $5,254.85."

"“It’s obvious that our system is unlike any other health system,” said Uwe Reinhardt, a healthcare economist at Princeton University. “Other systems were set up to care for patients. Ours was set up by the providers — the hospitals and drug companies — for their own benefit.”"

Most countries in the world have healthcare to treat patients, the US has healthcare to make healthcare providers money.

So much money gets wasted in corruption, it's something like 3% of US GDP at the very least.
Brainwashing.

Care to make an actual point?

Brainwashing.

Your country has been in the grip of mass propaganda for a century.

Perhaps you'd like to play with this ball.

751_multi.jpg

Brainwashing.

751_multi.jpg

My country? What's my country?

Brainwashing.

751_multi.jpg

America

Brainwashing.

751_multi.jpg

America

Have I ever told you which country I'm from?

751_multi.jpg

America

Yes.

Where?

Just to point out, I've never told ANYONE on this forum where I'm from. People don't know if I'm male or female, they don't know how old I am, where I live, where I'm from etc.

751_multi.jpg

America

Yes.

Where?

Just to point out, I've never told ANYONE on this forum where I'm from. People don't know if I'm male or female, they don't know how old I am, where I live, where I'm from etc.
You are male, in your 60s and you live in Phoenix Arizona.

America

Yes.

Where?

And how did you make that up?

Seems to be the usual fare on a site like this, everyone decides they know better than the truth.

Yes.

Where?

Seems to be the usual fare on a site like this, everyone decides they know better than the truth.

60s in PHX AZ; doing some posting to make a few bucks, eh?

Yes.

Where?

So how did I do?

Yes.

Where?

I don't understand.

Yes.

Where?

So how did I do?

Not good. Maybe next time just stick to what you know.

Where?

I don't understand.

I think the point this person who I have on ignore is trying to make is that Chinese Whispers is a great game and they'll believe it all if they want to.

Where?

I don't understand.

I think the point this person who I have on ignore is trying to make is that Chinese Whispers is a great game and they'll believe it all if they want to.
Well the world has a right to know.

I don't understand.

Well the world has a right to know.

No they don't.

Where?

I don't understand.

A lot of these posters get paid to help create a perception that there's a balance of "left/right" or otherwise people who support all the foolish bs.

Forum List

Back