Why do people object to genetic modification?

When all their kind has died, humanity can finally move forward, unbound by the glorified ignorance and backwardness of the vast majority of the world's religions

Dream on....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know, you're like a plague. You just keep mutating into new strains and you won't fucking die. I think religion is a social ERV that can only be removed through eradication of the carriers or precision modification of the germ cells prioor top reproduction to prevent the infection of children :doubt:

I am not an atheist.

I say full steam ahead on all forms of genetic research, stem cell research, etc.

It's not about trying to live forever (a foolish venture), it's about improving the quality of life of those that die before their time.

To answer the OPs question: I think it's inherent for people to fear something that they don't understand.

The average American couldn't name the basic steps of the cell cycle. Thus, it's not hard to see why they would be scared of something infinately more complicated.

I am not an atheist.

I say full steam ahead on all forms of genetic research, stem cell research, etc.

It's not about trying to live forever (a foolish venture), it's about improving the quality of life of those that die before their time.

To answer the OPs question: I think it's inherent for people to fear something that they don't understand.

The average American couldn't name the basic steps of the cell cycle. Thus, it's not hard to see why they would be scared of something infinately more complicated.
So, it's basically ignorance and fear based in ignorance?

Thanks for demonstrating that objections are totally illogical and unreasonable

The problem is that they are not unreasonable. Once we have the ability to play with the genome some NAZIish prick (maybe with the initials JB ;) ) will come along and start eliminating people he doesn't like.

Of course genetics doesn't equal genocide, but it opens the door for it. Don't think so? Think about Hitler or the Spanish Inquisition for starters. Man is evil by nature. Given enough time a man who thinks like Hitler will come along and attempt to put the power given to him by his "god" to use and a new holocaust will unfold.

I wish all the theists would trust their god and stop crawling to science to solve their health problems. When all their kind has died, humanity can finally move forward, unbound by the glorified ignorance and backwardness of the vast majority of the world's religions

Didn't Hitler say something like that? You justify the extermination of people because you believe yourself to be better than they. That is what I am talking about.

Immie

Last edited:
Why do people object to a science that could make our species hiv-resistant, remove genetic defects, improve out overall health, increase life expectancy...

Because they would take bacon lovers out of the equation..shees You must be insane

The problem is that they are not unreasonable. Once we have the ability to play with the genome some NAZIish prick (maybe with the initials JB ;) ) will come along and start eliminating people he doesn't like.

EDIT:: Where's my picture?
hitlercard1.jpg

Last edited:

Of course genetics doesn't equal genocide, but it opens the door for it. Don't think so? Think about Hitler or the Spanish Inquisition for starters. Man is evil by nature. Given enough time a man who thinks like Hitler will come along and attempt to put the power given to him by his "god" to use and a new holocaust will unfold.

I wish all the theists would trust their god and stop crawling to science to solve their health problems. When all their kind has died, humanity can finally move forward, unbound by the glorified ignorance and backwardness of the vast majority of the world's religions

Didn't Hitler say something like that? You justify the extermination of people because you believe yourself to be better than they. That is what I am talking about.

Immie

Or eliminate those who may be seen as unproductive to society.Like the disabled

hitlercard1.jpg

The image is not coming through so I don't know what that picture is, but you don't honestly believe that we have eliminated people like Hitler from our ranks, do you? I mean we have genocide going on throughout the world today. I can't believe you think that it could not possibly happen now.

Am I playing the hitler card? I suppose I am.

Do I think using genetics to improve life is a bad thing? No.

Do I fear what can be done with that technology? Hell Yes... I mean Hell Yes!

Immie

JB,

If you insist on sending me your continuous disgustingly obnoxious private messages, why don't you just have the guts to post them on the main board? You're a coward and quite frankly about the shallowist individual on any board I've ever encountered. That covers a lot of ground in your case.

Anne Marie

I am not an atheist.

So, it's basically ignorance and fear based in ignorance?

IMO, yes.

Ignorance always drives fear.

Why do people object to a science that could make our species hiv-resistant, remove genetic defects, improve out overall health, increase life expectancy...

For one thing, once you decide to genetically engineer people, you have to admit that some genetic pools are substandard.

The #1 genetecist in the world dared to say that and was nearly stoned for it. He said that because blacks have been historically poor, malnourished and uneducated, their capacity to learn and likelihood of genius has been affected.

So which standard would you breed to?

There's already too many damned people in the world..

Feel free to kill yourself and help save the earth
smile_wink.gif

There aren't too many humans on Earth; there are too many people in certain regions. It's kinda like how people say earth can't feed us all, when to actual problem is distribution

Besides, genetic manipulation and transhumanism could, in theory, help alleviate Man's need for food in a n umber of ways

You must love the idea of cannibalism, huh?

I think the question has to do with the ethics of the science and the policies that could follow. Like with the big Stem cell debate, many of the religious were concerned that it could lead to a black market for human fetus. Or the debate asking if genetic modified food could alter human DNA.

Also, there is the side question--Is this playing GOD??(heh heh) Should we treat people as ailments and genetic diseases arise, or should we make humans to conform to our Ideal version of humanity?

Last edited:
Oh, and I'm one of those people playing around with genes for a living ;)

?
Clarify; we're talking about a pretty big field, here

I genetically engineer microorganisms to make them more useful. I mostly use site-specific homologous recombination via suicide plasmid vectors. And yes, the suicide plasmids are artificially constructed, modeled after a bacteriophage plasmid. I'm still quite new to the field, honestly.

I'm not so good at playing with eukaryotes, though. I'll be practicing more with eukaryotes next year, once I'm done with my bacterial projects! The nuclear membrane and histones are a pain to work around...not to mention you need to target non-terminal cells.

Oh, and I'm one of those people playing around with genes for a living ;)

?

I genetically engineer microorganisms to make them more useful. I mostly use site-specific homologous recombination via suicide plasmid vectors. And yes, the suicide plasmids are artificially constructed, modeled after a bacteriophage plasmid. I'm still quite new to the field, honestly.

I'm not so good at playing with eukaryotes, though. I'll be practicing more with eukaryotes next year, once I'm done with my bacterial projects! The nuclear membrane and histones are a pain to work around...not to mention you need to target non-terminal cells.

You know, I was just going to say that. Especially all that stuff about the suicide plasmoids, eucarids and hystermones.

smile_wink.gif

There aren't too many humans on Earth; there are too many people in certain regions. It's kinda like how people say earth can't feed us all, when to actual problem is distribution

Besides, genetic manipulation and transhumanism could, in theory, help alleviate Man's need for food in a n umber of ways

You must love the idea of cannibalism, huh?
No, he sees a future in lab-grown meat, for example. Current formulas for lab-grown bovine muscle tissue are far more cost-efficient and less resource-intensive than conventional farming. The main difficulty lies in upscaling the processes.

Just like Edison once said, "We'll make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles," I say "We'll make laboratory meat so cheap that only the rich will consume whole animals."

test-tube-meat.jpg

?

You know, I was just going to say that. Especially all that stuff about the suicide plasmoids, eucarids and hystermones.
If you're curious, there's plenty to learn! :lol:

Viral Vector = Delivery Boy for genes, derived from known viruses
Eukaryote = Large, advanced cell that can perform glycolysis (unlike prokaryotes), includes all multi-cellular organisms, like humans
Histone = large protein that acts as a spindle for eukaryotic DNA, makes genetic engineering difficult

Also, all the gear you need to start up a garage genetic engineering lab will only run you $13k-25k if you buy second-hand equipment off Ebay! $350 for a working thermal cycler is a steal!

Last edited:

smile_wink.gif

I think you forget that the institutions and the current way the world operates became long after life was created.

Why let this out of your sight?

Sure we have lots of things now, but we do not need them. According to general history and science taugh in america thru K-12 this is just recently taken place.

Let's not complicate things and say we are great because we can make things and things make life better when the universe and life was fine before these advances you speak of were even made or brought to light.

Your resting your lively hood on technology instead of the natural source of production.

Just my .02

smile_wink.gif

I think you forget that the institutions and the current way the world operates became long after life was created.

Why let this out of your sight?

Sure we have lots of things now, but we do not need them. According to general history and science taugh in america thru K-12 this is just recently taken place.

Let's not complicate things and say we are great because we can make things and things make life better when the universe and life was fine before these advances you speak of were even made or brought to light.

Your resting your lively hood on technology instead of the natural source of production.

Just my .02

Natural source of production? Are you suggesting we should all become plants?

Need I remind you that for the majority of living things on this planet have a lifespan measured in hours? Not only are we outnumbered by micro-organisms, but each one of us is a separate ecosystem, with hundreds of species growing on and inside us.

Forum List

Back