Why do people object to genetic modification?

Holy moley, I thought I was brainy because I read Richard Preston!

Richard Preston??? Now I'm the one admitting ignorance...

*A moment later*

Just checked wiki. Dark biology? I kinda like it! Beats reading journal articles, that's for sure...

Omg, you have GOT to read his books. You will die. It's a new genre, scientific literature, the coolest stuff ever.

The Hot Zone, about Ebola and Marburg...Marberg...anyway, very awesome book. True story, but written in novel form.

Panic in Level 4 about biohazards and a variety of very scary shit, including self-cannibalism..but mostly about genetics, and the advances the Chudnovsky brothers, who are Christians, btw...and the premier mathemeticians of their time. They are the ones who made the uber computer that deciphered pi to the nth and provided the material upon which modern geneticism is based...

You must check him out. Very good writer. He's chosen fascinating subjects and does a good job on them...
Profiles: The Mountains of Pi: The New Yorker

He's amazing, and the story in "Panic in Level 4" is unbelievably fantastic. It's a series of articles he wrote for the New Yorker and they revolve around research done by the brothers Chudnovsky, who are mathematicians whose studies have had all these incredible repercussions.

BTW, when you graph pi as they have decoded it, it looks like the hills of Afghanistan, or where I live, in the Painted Hills...

"On a cold winter day, when the Chudnovskys were about to begin their two-billion-digits expedition into pi, I rang the bell of Gregory Chudnovsky's apartment, and David answers the door. He pulled the door open a few inches, and then it stopped, jammed against an empty cardboard box and a wad of hanging coats. He nudged the box out of the way with his foot. "Look, don't worry", he said. "Nothing unpleasant will happen to you. We will not turn you into digits." A Mini Mag-Lite flashlight protruded from his shirt pocket."

Chudnovsky Brothers

Shit, a skunk just let go outside my door.....back in a sec.

painted-hills.jpg

BTW, when you graph pi as they have decoded it, it looks like the hills of Afghanistan, or where I live, in the Painted Hills...

"On a cold winter day, when the Chudnovskys were about to begin their two-billion-digits expedition into pi, I rang the bell of Gregory Chudnovsky's apartment, and David answers the door. He pulled the door open a few inches, and then it stopped, jammed against an empty cardboard box and a wad of hanging coats. He nudged the box out of the way with his foot. "Look, don't worry", he said. "Nothing unpleasant will happen to you. We will not turn you into digits." A Mini Mag-Lite flashlight protruded from his shirt pocket."

Chudnovsky Brothers

Shit, a skunk just let go outside my door.....back in a sec.

Oddly, Pi was the very spark that lead to Chaos Theory ... the more they mapped it, the more mathematicians realized that even math can become seemingly random ... more to the point, that nothing that seems random truly is. Beitzer(sp?), I always forget how to spell that name, that and the Mandelbrot series mapped such wonders as fern leaves, even simple lifeform behaviors, with complex equations. There is a TON more on the subject, but it just happens to be one that was fascinating enough to me to warrant three years of solid study, which lead me to the ancient Egyptians eventually, who had experimented with such mathematics but without the tech we have they were greatly hindered in it.

I was being polite before, but I won't be now.

You've demonstrated a 5th-grade understanding of biology, at best. Please, go read a Biology 101 textbook before you embarrass yourself further.

Eagle thanks for your response. Even tho I just added my pennies, directed away from you. But since your the knight in shinning armor, go you.

I said what I said, I even said it wasn't even correct... I just drew a barney example that was very simplistic of the idea of what goes on when you eat something.

Sure you used other terms and that's cool and all but you apparently missed the point. You decided to engage against me and my poorly put together post and had to prove yourself the smarter one instead of looking and responding to the only point that should have been made.

See how this gets off subject... maybe you should check out what you suggested to me. I wonder what part you gave this quote?

Familiar with the Id, Ego, and Superego? If not, I suggest you read up.

Was that the holy trinity?

Back to the topic.

So here is the point I bring up. The is a very human point that you failed to miss and let your beast in your head do the talking instead of being conscious.

Animals, plants and humans are made to be the way they are.

Modification and enhancement are supplimental for lack of consciousness. I mean if you were born with a hole that said insert xxxx here then, yea I would assume that it is nesaccary that you do so. I don't have one, do you? So leave it at that. The example was an example.

We all know that fat is created by the body when toxicity is high, it's the natural protection mechinism for it to do so. We also know that your body never sleeps and a constant running engine. We know that the more you eat the faster you age. It's a simple wear and tear concept. We also know that the average person over eats. So how will genetic modification change that if the problem we are facing in the food crisis?

Warning Warning Opinion next don't assume like before.
I think the issue here really isn't the food itself as its more the production, distribution and quality of the goods. You can get rid of fast food and chemical treated fertilizers would solve a majority of the problem, genetically engineered food won't change the type of food we eat. The only thing that will if the CEO of the FDA or what ever owns the food changes what they make and deem suitable for you to eat.

++++

This is just a wtf commercial for you, since everyone else fails to see any trend in the way the world works I have to point it out to you. Even though this is one subject it is part of a bigger picture. That bigger picture everyone loses sight of for what ever reason. I just never understand that part.

Another Theatrical for you billy.

-How come people weren't fat in the 1800's all the portaits I see people are fit?

It has to do with what they are eatting billy.

-What do mean? I eat corn, beef, potatos, bread, chicken just like they did, I even play basketball and run alot, but I am fat and have all these blemishes on my skin.

They say it's fast food and our choice of diet and how we prepare our food.

-What other choice do we have then? Everything is the same everywhere? If this is unhealthy why are the worlds biggest organizations something that is so bad for you?

All I can say is who ever controls the food supply decideds what people eat, Billy it was different back then, if only you could go back in time and watch the world get this way. You would be amazed.

Your photo's of your fast food?? Yea are you telling me that none of that touched with any modification.... lol, please you kid yourself to much. That is for reals.

So let's look at more obvious facts...

The fresh organic food stores where are most of those located and what is the average client like?

Now the mass produced super markets with all the processed food and perservatives where are most those located and what is the average client like?

Just some thing to consider, like what market are the looking at serving this too? We know there is a class seperation on who gets what, the proof is in the puddin, I don't make this up.

You just deny my statements because you are pro what ever this is we are talking about just to be right. I just had to add it because I am ignorant. Pay no attention to me.
Maybe reading about ids,ego and superego will tell me why I am such a dim witt. No it didn't thanks for the wasted read. I hope you enjoyed this one too.

No I am not saying that we should all become plants.

I'll give an idea to consider. Your body is biological, the plants, animals, water, etc all biological and work a certain way because the code the creator choose to use to create said being.

So why must you think this need improvement on?
1.More birth defects than any one person can memorize.
2.Cancer
3. Parkinson's, Huntington's, etc. etc. etc.

If your creator gives little girls incurable, painful cancers like leukemia, I want nothing to do with your creator.

I think we are jumping way ahead of where the world is at on this subject, how can we talk about engineering things like food/humans/animals and understand the effects if them if we can not conclude an optimal and have an agreed upon source of beingness?

It's like playing with fire.
It's like me making a new recipe, say a new way of making beans and rice. You might not like my recipe, but I do, and others around me do. I'll use that recipe of beans and rice to make others around me happy, regardless of what you think of my cooking abilities.

That's....that's not how it works at all.

First off, the letters in DNA are A,T,G,C. Adenine, Thymine, Guanine, and Cytosine.

When a regular apple is consumed, little molecules inside your intestines known as deoxyribonuclease find the apple DNA, munch it up and convert it to sugar, which you then absorb.

When a genetically modified apple is consumed, little molecules inside your intestines known as DNAase find the genetically modified apple DNA, munch it up and convert it to sugar, which you then absorb.

It doesn't matter what combination of A,T,G, and C are in the food's DNA, they all get munched up and absorbed by the body all the same.

A little theatrical for you:

What we already have genetically modified food?!?!?! You mean, wtf this why people are fat, ugly, and sick looking. They all turned into trolls.

Yes, they did.

That wasn't really food billy.

I just thought the last snippet is something we over look.
This is the reason why we're fat and smelly. Nothing genetically modified in that meal. Just 100% natural junk food.

982817184_aaf93ce7e6.jpg

/other note, your brain is your command center and conducts all your bodily functions and what seems automatic... but is it really or we telling our body to computate and and commanding all those functions be done constantly at such a speed that we do not reconize it? I have a strong feeling if you stop and listen or have a problem with your body you can do something about it yourself. You just have to find yourself.
If I shot you in your stomach, no matter how hard you meditate or think, you won't stop that bleeding without a bandage.

Without medical treatment, you would die. If not from blood-loss, then from the resulting infection. Believe what you want, but I'm more interested in saving lives. I'll leave dealing with souls to people like you.

Familiar with the Id, Ego, and Superego? If not, I suggest you read up.

I am not smelly. At least not to me.

I think horses smell good, btw.

AB.

There is a box.
There is another box.
There is then another box.

To understand where I am comming from you will have to make sure your out of all the boxes with me. It's a hard place to get to and you can not go back once your out. This is why people get stuck and settle with what they have because of what they fear is on the other side of the wall.

I just said all that to mess with you.

Really its hard to understand me when I consider other things that pertain to a subject even when they are not pronounced by any of the posters. This is where these boxes are that people get stuck in, I move past all the literal mombo jumbo that people already know and shatter it with an idea that doesn't align with the OP or the subject and they are still talking about what is written and never move on to the next step. This is why they can't keep up with me and ignore me because I use my out of the box thinking instead and they have nothing else.

I'm happy to explain anything to anyone who wants to know where I am comming from. Just send mail to me.

Honey, if you want to influence people and bring them around, you need to learn to think inside the box as well as outside.

Get it?

Coincidentally, though I'm not implying you are mentally ill, that's something caretakers of the mentally ill try to imprint upon them. Yes, you have your own reality, but to hang with the rest of us, you need to be able to relate with the rest of us. Whatever that means to you. You can exist on another plane..but to be accepted, you have to exist on this plane too.

Well the thing is I am still in the box with you everyone as the subjects we talk about are our box.

Get it?

Just too many in this box, when I reach out they want to pull you back down.

Afraid of the unknown or what really is I guess.

What is real?

The comfort zone is way to shallow to get any where with some of these people, once they get uncomfortable everything I say is blashpemy ans unfathomable.

Really they need to confront their own fears and stop looking as what I am saying as fearful. It's part of life, they should deal with it.

This is all opinion. It seems like I am negative nelly and what not, but if I can accept certain things as reality and a part of life they should also.

UKnow ... sorry but you are being confusing right now. I think I get the basics of what you are saying, but it's more poetic than logic now.

UKnow ... sorry but you are being confusing right now. I think I get the basics of what you are saying, but it's more poetic than logic now.

Let's call it philosphy.

the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics

Uknow, I know you are making sense to yourself, and if I spent a lot of time deciphering you, you'd make sense to me, too. But the truth of the matter is, you aren't relating inside the box.

That's not an insult. Just an insight. If that makes any sense. Which it might not. I'm on vacation and slightly drunk now.

Why do people object to a science that could make our species hiv-resistant, remove genetic defects, improve out overall health, increase life expectancy...

They object, I suppose, not to the good things it can obviously do, but to the amazingly bad things it can ALSO do.

For example...suppose we could insure that every child was a superchild (according to our understanding of it at that moment) with excellent health.

So we do that and over time the human genome becomes less and less random and more and more similar.

Does that really sound like a good idea?

I'll tell you why I think that isn't a good idea.

Because we cannot KNOW what genes in combination we're going to need in the future.

We know what genes cause weakness, and the development of this technology will give us the tools to confront future challenges that will arise.

Do we, really? We know everything about every gene? I rather doubt that.

Your concern is unfounded, as we're simply talking about removing known defects and encouraging the spread of beneficial genes and mutations, not destroying hum genetic diversity (actually humans lack genetic diversity, although not quite as bad as the cheetahs)

Good to hear. I still doubt you're right.

We'd have to know everything about every gene, and everything about how every combination of potential human genes plays out PLUS we'd have to know what combination of human genes will be needed in the future, too.

incorrect. By your argument, we must do what we can, for who knows how much worse our current flaws will get.

I don't think it works the way you imagine it works.

There is something to be said for the haphazard random system of combining genes that created us as we are now.

You mean the random assortment of ancient viruses and 'non-human' DNA that causes us so many problems?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, actually.

Why do people object to genetic modification?

I don't think anyone would object to your genetic modification. In fact, I imagine that many would stand on a long line to contribute.

;)

Anne Marie

One thing you should never do is feed your food plants like tomatos and peppers miracle grow. The stuff has growth hormones in them.

Ever notice that teenagers are much largers these days then 30 years ago? Not good. Know what you are putting into your stomach.

Seriously!

Anne Marie

Forum List

Back