Why do people object to genetic modification?

That is exactly what I was trying to say earlier. It is not the process itself that I have a problem with. It is what mankind will do with it once we have it. Would it lead to the next, "Atom Bomb"? Would we end up with a new class of warfare/WMD's known as genetic warfare?

Immie
The cat is already out of the bag on this one.

Genetic Warfare = Biological Weaponry. The US, Russia, UK, France, and likely China all have stocks of pathogens genetically engineered to wipe out entire populations. Of those countries, China is suspected to be secretly continuing their biological weapons program.

If we wanted to say, reduce the Chinese population by maybe 500,000,000, we would just need to smuggle in a spray-bottle filled with our weaponized smallpox. A few sprays in a heavily-trafficked mall, and you can say "epidemic."

Last edited:
e7 can we atleast agree on something.

Some of the advances we made ended up changing the lives of people on this planet(in general), I think that our diffence in views here you are thinking about the now and your/my personal views are complete ends of the spectrum.

The science end of the facts needs to be study by each individual so they can form their own opinion. If there wasn't someone to object anything then we could have lots of other problems on our hands.

I am thinking along the lines of how will this change the world? You are thinking along the lines of trying to educate people on the benefits.

I have already passed all the thoughts of the pros and cons..it only takes a second to do so, I never intend to read an article to be convienced but to be aware. The thing is when I look at the bigger picture all the answer are evident even with a quick single study into the subject as long as the hypothesis is solid and honest, and material studied is the same.

IMO the impact of engineering food/animals/plants/people changes the way the world operates. Ready for that change? That will alienate a lot of peoples lives.

So the only issue that I really have is we don't have any plans or considered the outcome of how big such things to take place. Their is no contigency, nothing.

It's real hard to support blind operations.

Just so you can get the idea where I based the responses you have seen so you can understand. My post may e a little more clear.

I am prolife but not at the cost of others.

I'm not completely sure what you are trying to say, but it appears that you are worried that genetics has the potential to dramatically change our society, much like electricity and later computers?

Frankly, the benefits outweigh the risks. We're charging ahead. Unmodified humans will be left behind.

Already, my peers use a combination of daring new "intellectual steroids" that push the brain beyond traditional limits. It's nearly impossible to ace any exams at an elite institution without turning to chems, because the enhanced students set the grading curves. This isn't sci-fi, this is NOW.

Welcome to the future.

Afghanistan.

Both Afghanistan and my home look a lot like I've always imagined Mars to look like.

I live a little west of the Painted Hills, so I don't see them. There's some area that is pretty flipping bleak and rocky...but it's not completely bone dry for as far as the eye can see in every direction.

But it is similar. For some reason I can't find the graphs of Pi which show the similarity. Damn Obama for censoring the internet again.

Afghanistan.

Both Afghanistan and my home look a lot like I've always imagined Mars to look like.

I live a little west of the Painted Hills, so I don't see them. There's some area that is pretty flipping bleak and rocky...but it's not completely bone dry for as far as the eye can see in every direction.

But it is similar. For some reason I can't find the graphs of Pi which show the similarity. Damn Obama for censoring the internet again.
Mountains. How I want to see mountains. I've seen pictures, but never in my life have I witnessed a mountain.

Sounds so simple, yet I've only ever experienced endless plains, forest, and urban sprawl.

I'm jealous.

Afghanistan.

Mountains. How I want to see mountains. I've seen pictures, but never in my life have I witnessed a mountain.

Sounds so simple, yet I've only ever experienced endless plains, forest, and urban sprawl.

I'm jealous.

Really? I think even urban sprawl is prettier than Afghanistan.

Actually, there are some parts of the country that are really pretty. It's weird, at times you could move through the desolate mountains and come into a pocket of civiliation with cultivated fields hanging off the side of a mountain.

A weird place for sure. Even without all the conflict.

If you live in the US, Eagle, you can't be very far from mountains. Even if you live in Illinois or Kansas, how far can it be? A day's drive?

I say take a couple of days and head out. Life's too short.

BTW my latest "thing" is to hit all the lighthouses on the Oregon Coast. I've been to a couple of them..Heceta, and Yaquina. But I'm making it a goal to hit them all with my kids before they graduate. We went to Tillamook Rock lighthouse when we were at Seaside over the 4th. It was flipping freezing and the wind was blowing about 100 miles and hour...it was like "quick run or we're going to freeze!"

Then we got up there and the lighthouse was out on a rock about a mile away, a tiny speck. They had a viewer there. But it was like Everest. Quick, take a picture, and beat cheeks back to the car. But I get to cross it off the list.

In August heading back to the middle Oregon coast for a family reunion, going to hit 2-3 more around Newport (and there's another one at Tillamook, I think).

You should do that with mountains. Get a guide and make a goal, say 10 years, and hit one range (or various sites in the same range) a year.

I'm less than a day's drive away from the Appalachians, yes. Only, I lack both a car, and the money to buy a car. Every dollar is going into my education. And my boss and professors wouldn't take kindly to me disappearing for a week to go hiking.

Once I complete my formal education and move beyond these entry-level positions, I'll be able to take those road trips! But, for now, it remains a dream, much like my desire to move to Hong Kong...

But yes, that would be incredible! There's so much I want to do, so much I want to see in this world...it's unfortunate I only have one lifetime :D

Last edited:

Forum List

Back