Why do modern actors sound less authentic in westerns than old time greats ?

Here are some of the names that come to mind that played great western roles at one time or another:

Audie Murphy
Randolph Scott
John Wayne
Lee Marvin
Henry Fonda
Gary Cooper
Clint Eastwood
Charles Bronson
Yul Brynner
Jack Palance
Lee Van Cleef
Richard Widmark
Richard Boone
Glenn Ford
William Holden
Steve McQueen
Marlon Brando
James Coburn
Ernest Borgnine
Robert Mitchum
Jack Elam
Paul Newman
Robert Redford
Jason Robards
James Garner
Bruce Dern
Robert Duvall
Kevin Costner
Gene Hackman
Kurt Russell

I just talked to my friend and he set me straight on some reasons why westerns aren't produced.
Here is one reason. The talent, yes, the top talent, they all say "I was raised on horses... we had a ranch... I can ride"

When they (the talent) get on a horse and ride, they bounce up and down on the saddle. It's horrible. They look stupid. We had to make them wear long coats to hide it. Then wardrobe complained. Then the director. It's a shit show. These guys are too hard to film. Then the talent says fuck it or they are told to hit the road.

Another reason. Europeans. They don't want it. What a waste trying to get Europeans to watch our movies. Any of them.
Why do you think Tyler Perry movies are made for US audiences only? They don't do well in Europe, so why bother.

Kevin Costner is currently filming a miniseries set in the pioneer days. They're filming here in the high desert of southern Utah and have purchased a ton of industrial supplied from my store. I haven't met Costner yet. I've been dealing with their construction and engineering folks.

I don't watch movies or TV anymore, but I may watch this series only because I feel I've played a small "part" in its making.

Because when I was 6 I believed in Lassie. At 60 something I realize that is not normal authentic Collie behavior.

Kevin Costner is currently filming a miniseries set in the pioneer days. They're filming here in the high desert of southern Utah and have purchased a ton of industrial supplied from my store. I haven't met Costner yet. I've been dealing with their construction and engineering folks.

I don't watch movies or TV anymore, but I may watch this series only because I feel I've played a small "part" in its making.
Are you dealing with the Captain, or are you delivering to the set?

Are you dealing with the Captain, or are you delivering to the set?
I run the store, so I deal (in person) with members of the crew responsible for special effects, building sets, maintenance, etc. My driver has driven to the actual set to make a few deliveries.

I know Tyler, the gang boss on Yellowstone. He mentioned going to Utah.
They never told me the name of the series. I suppose it could be a part of the Yellowstone series. I never put two and two together. Tyler sounds like a familiar name. They were filming in the St. George area, but I think they're in Moab at the moment. So sales have waned for the time being. I think they're supposed to return to St. George at some point.

Edit: This isn't the Yellowstone series. This is called, "Horizon, An American Saga."

They never told me the name of the series. I suppose it could be a part of the Yellowstone series. I never put two and two together. Tyler sounds like a familiar name. They were filming in the St. George area, but I think they're in Moab at the moment. So sales have waned for the time being. I think they're supposed to return to St. George at some point.
Tyler is built like a tank, tattoos, a butch haircut and red beard.

Beautiful country.

Forum List

Back