Why do modern actors sound less authentic in westerns than old time greats ?

Im not even talking about the stars.

Any film with the likes of Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Andy Devine and Edgar Buchanan sounds just right. I can believe that those guys lived the life.

In contrast modern actors sound like they have come off the beach or the stage in Nashville.They affect a gruff voice and thats the end of it. Thats why most modern westerns are crap.

Is it a school of acting that they all went to or are they all just bad actors ?
When I was kid, I spent a summer on my uncles cattle ranch and nobody sounded liked Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Andy Devine and Edgar Buchanan. The America Cowboy was created in Hollywood. 25% of American Cowboys after the civil war were black and about same number were Hispanic. Rarely did cowboys fight Indians. They were more likely to die from falling off a horse than in a gunfight, and they didn't wear those tall, wide-brimmed cowboy hats you see in Westerns. It was also very rare for a cowboy to get in gun a fight. Just about everything about cowboys in the old westerns was nonsense.

Did you know the very 1st silent western was made in the UK?
Hollywood made a huge number of silent westerns because they didn't need a studio plus the film they used required a lot of light. Southern California was a great place to film westerns with lots of sunshine, desert, and ranches.

I just talked to my friend and he set me straight on some reasons why westerns aren't produced.
Here is one reason. The talent, yes, the top talent, they all say "I was raised on horses... we had a ranch... I can ride"

When they (the talent) get on a horse and ride, they bounce up and down on the saddle. It's horrible. They look stupid. We had to make them wear long coats to hide it. Then wardrobe complained. Then the director. It's a shit show. These guys are too hard to film. Then the talent says fuck it or they are told to hit the road.

Another reason. Europeans. They don't want it. What a waste trying to get Europeans to watch our movies. Any of them.
Why do you think Tyler Perry movies are made for US audiences only? They don't do well in Europe, so why bother.
Throughout most of the 20th century, westerns were very popular in Europe because they were uniquely America. Beginning the in the 60's there were many westerns filmed in Spain and Italy and they gave birth to the Spaghetti Westerns.

Hollywood made a huge number of silent westerns because they didn't need a studio plus the film they used required a lot of light. Southern California was a great place to film westerns with lots of sunshine, desert, and ranches.
And if it wasn't for Jack Foley the movie would be very boring. Sure makes a good movie better if the sound is designed properly.

And if it wasn't for Jack Foley the movie would be very boring. Sure makes a good movie better if the sound is designed properly.
The stabbing in Psycho is so good because of the sound. The music reminds me of a skreaching saw as the knife goes up and down, up and down and the screaming in the background makes it almost unbearable. And it goes on for near 45 seconds which seem like forever. I remember when I first saw it, people were hiding there eyes, afraid to look at it. Today we are so accustom to movies with guts, body parts being ripped out, bodies being ripped apart, the shower scene does not have the impact today.

When I was kid, I spent a summer on my uncles cattle ranch and nobody sounded liked Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Andy Devine and Edgar Buchanan. The America Cowboy was created in Hollywood. 25% of American Cowboys after the civil war were black and about same number were Hispanic. Rarely did cowboys fight Indians. They were more likely to die from falling off a horse than in a gunfight, and they didn't wear those tall, wide-brimmed cowboy hats you see in Westerns. It was also very rare for a cowboy to get in gun a fight. Just about everything about cowboys in the old westerns was nonsense.
Its the hollywood invention that I enjoy. I dont want realism. I get nough of that in real life.

The modern movie acting and dialog do seem bland to me as well. A lady friend of mine studied under what she calls ''The Method'' and she was amazing to watch as she became one of her characters it was a total transformation of her personality and was believable. I don't see that in actors today.

LOL. Austin Butler did that in Elvis and it has taken him forever to unwind that Elvis accent. He may have permanently altered the way he speaks by immersing himself a tad too deep for too long in becoming the King. Think I read somewhere that he spent two years with voice and movement coaches getting ready before they ever filmed the first scene. The result was a great performance in a mediocre movie.

Otherwise I agree with you. Too many actors these days just come across as themselves playing so and so in the roles they occupy--no range or depth to their performances.

Classic Westerns were not accurate at all in how they portrayed life or how people talked in the real Old West.

great movies, but pure fantasy

Any film with the likes of Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Andy Devine and Edgar Buchanan sounds just right. I can believe that those guys lived the life.

In contrast modern actors sound like they have come off the beach or the stage in Nashville.They affect a gruff voice and thats the end of it. Thats why most modern westerns are crap.

Is it a school of acting that they all went to or are they all just bad actors ?
I always liked Clint Eastwood ,Lee Van Cleef and John Wayne...

It's the sweet one!

mqdefault.jpg

Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Andy Devine and Edgar Buchanan are character actors who played many roles but their screen persona remain the same regardless of the role. Developing a screen persona that appeals to audiences can take years but once they make it, they never have to get into a new character for a new performance. It is probably the easiest acting but it's not great acting because there is little range to their performances. They simple do the same acting over and over.

I disagree with you concerning modern (young) actors. We've got some great young actors that will only get better over time. It usually takes a number years and a number of diverse performance to become a great actor. I think these 3 stand a good change of getting to the top in the 21st century.

Anya Taylor-Joy Queens Gambit and the Witch
Millie Bobby Brown Stranger Things, Enola Homes
Austin Butler Elvis, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Last edited:
There are two types of realism we see in movies and on stage. The one you are referring to is real life enactments but there is another and that is acting in a realist manner. When characters over act, under act, or act in unrealism manner we call it poor acting.

Forum List

Back