Why do modern actors sound less authentic in westerns than old time greats ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Im not even talking about the stars.

Any film with the likes of Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Andy Devine and Edgar Buchanan sounds just right. I can believe that those guys lived the life.

In contrast modern actors sound like they have come off the beach or the stage in Nashville.They affect a gruff voice and thats the end of it. Thats why most modern westerns are crap.

Is it a school of acting that they all went to or are they all just bad actors ?

The modern movie acting and dialog do seem bland to me as well. A lady friend of mine studied under what she calls ''The Method'' and she was amazing to watch as she became one of her characters it was a total transformation of her personality and was believable. I don't see that in actors today.

Any film with the likes of Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Andy Devine and Edgar Buchanan sounds just right. I can believe that those guys lived the life.

In contrast modern actors sound like they have come off the beach or the stage in Nashville.They affect a gruff voice and thats the end of it. Thats why most modern westerns are crap.

Is it a school of acting that they all went to or are they all just bad actors ?
Is it the lack of an accent that you are noticing?

Maybe the later actors try too hard or they just don't have their heart in it.

Give us a comparison. Which modern Western movie are you talking about?

Also, Walter Brennan was born in Massachusetts. Son of an engineer and studied to be an engineer. The other two you mentioned may have been more authentic ie "lived the life".

Mel Brookes hired Slim Pickens ... and it was Slim Pickens who made Blazing Saddles a Western ... no one else had any experience ... we just don't make westerns anymore ...

I can believe that those guys lived the life.
Walter Brennan was the son of a hotel manager in upper NY.

Chill Wills, Born in Texas, was a musician that got his start in tent shows and vaudeville. (was his group that Laurel and Hardy danced to in Way Out West)

Andy Devine was born and raised in Arizona, son of a hotel operator.

Edgr Buchanan was a dentist in Washington, and gave up his practice to try acting.

Not a cowboy among them

Last edited:

Broke Back Mountain did a lot for the new age Cowboy.

I liked the Coen brother's "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs". Also enjoyed - "Hateful Eight". The new version of "True Grit" & "3:10 to Yuma".

Would you consider a movie from the 1990s a modern Western? If so, watch Gene Hackman in "Unforgiven". A classic.

Like all old people suffering from early dementia you are most comfortable with your oldest memories . Probably reminds you when you were a young orphan in the Welsh Communist group’s homeless scheme after you were abandoned .

636598260212398385-Tom-Corrigan-2.png

Somewhat off topic... That is Tom Corrigan at his restaurant in 1000 Oaks, Ca. He is the son of Ray "Crash" Corrigan who started the restaurant.
Tom grew up at his Dad's movie ranch, Corriganville, in Simi Valley. I guess you have to live the life.

Walter Brennan lived off Tierra Rejada Road in the unincorporated area North of Thousand Oaks.

And for the "modern" actor, Kurt Russell. Also from 1000 Oaks.

Give us a comparison. Which modern Western movie are you talking about?

Also, Walter Brennan was born in Massachusetts. Son of an engineer and studied to be an engineer. The other two you mentioned may have been more authentic ie "lived the life".
Anything with Trace Adkins in. Or Tom Sellick. I know that they dont spend much money on them. You could go back to Young Guns as well.

Forum List

Back