Why do I conceal carry every where I go?

Firearms are used literally hundreds of thousands of times to stop crime every year in this country. So whether I or someone else on here ever had to is irrelevant.
I've never seen a SF guy who was 6' 8". They tend to go for small wiry types.

The odds aren't that low. Being armed prevents at least 100000 crimes a year. That's a low ball estimate, the actual number is probably close to 5x higher. But, let's go with 100k. That's 1/3000 people in this country, or an incident rate of 33/100k. That's 10x the firearm homicide rate, about 5x the auto accident death rate. If you think it's a good idea to wear a seatbelt, it's 5x more imperative to carry. The question posed to the board shoulb be: "Why aren't you carrying?"

Link to back ANY of that up?
Defensive Gun Use, or DGU, is a well-established method of personal protection. The 100k number I quoted is rounding down from the National Crime Victim Survey, which is on the extreme low end of DGU estimates. It's further backed up by The Bureau of Justistic Statistics' 1994 report Guns and Crime: Handgun Victimization, Firearm Self-Defense, and Firearm Theft which returns 86k DGU for a peak population of 256 million at the time. This is identical to the 33/100k DGU I quoted which, as I pointed out, is on the extreme low end of estimates and over 10x higher than the 3/100k firearm homicide rate.

According to this, highway fatality rates are 10/100k. Thus, I overestimated the relative safety: DGU is actually more like 3x rather than 5x more prevalent, using the low-ball estimates of DGU incidents. However, the question remains: if you wear your seatbelt, then why aren't you carrying since it's 3x more effective?

People who concealed-carry are lovers of life, especially their own.

"I've never seen a 'pilgrim' who could handle a staff the way you did."

"Ah but Sir, all pilgrims all deep lovers of life, especially their own."

- "The Beastmaster" (1982)

You know, The Right claims that they must have a gun to protect themselves against random violent crime.

And, yet, none of them has ever explained to me why they don't walk around wearing a bullet proof vest.

I wonder why that is...........
=================

being in Southern Arizona and you have to ask that question ?

you must be a Ron Barber supporter. :lmao:
In addition to being bulky, hot, and uncomfortable, body armor does nothing for head or extremity shots, nor does it offer much in the way of protection from non-firearm attacks. Also, even protecting against a shot, it's still a painful injury leaving very severe bruising and possibly internal damage. Much easier, more discreet, more conducive to everyday activities, and more effective to stop the attack before it gets to the point of actually harming you by carrying.

I dunno. You have a spare tire in your car? You must be afraid. Have a fire extinguisher at home? You're afraid. Have a cell phone? Obviously afraid. Lock the doors to your house at night? Seriously afraid. Look twice before crossing the street? You must be afraid.
Carrying a gun is no different from any of those. I've never used a fire extinguisher. I wouldnt be without one. same with a gun.
Great post.
Well said.

I've got a question for all you folks with concealed carry permits. Who do you see yourselves most likely having to defend yourselves against with your weapon: White skinheads, ghetto Blacks or Mestizo bangers?

I've got a question for all you folks with concealed carry permits. Who do you see yourselves most likely having to defend yourselves against with your weapon: White skinheads, ghetto Blacks or Mestizo bangers?
I don't have a concealed-carry permit (nor do I even own a gun), but, if I did, my answer would probably be 'None of the above' - rather, it would be a defense against the unexpected.

Since most crime in my area seems to come from blacks in disproportionate numbers that would be a reasonable choice. But it doesnt matter. A threat to life is a threat to life, no matter where it comes from.

Since most crime in my area seems to come from blacks in disproportionate numbers that would be a reasonable choice. But it doesnt matter. A threat to life is a threat to life, no matter where it comes from.

Exactly. Why draw distinctions?

I don't care if it's a transgender midget albino eskimo.

Right..because all crime is committed by people with guns...you're just flailing around now..and not looking very bright...
If you ever get attacked, do the only thing you know how to do..curl up in a ball and hope they don't kill you.

Good luck.

Read above post closely ..............

Don't get me wrong. I am as terrified to walk around unarmed as you are. I never go anywhere without my Swiss Army knife....

Right..because all crime is committed by people with guns...you're just flailing around now..and not looking very bright...
If you ever get attacked, do the only thing you know how to do..curl up in a ball and hope they don't kill you.

Good luck.

Read above post closely ..............

Don't get me wrong. I am as terrified to walk around unarmed as you are. I never go anywhere without my Swiss Army knife....

Yeah...funny..why not hire an agent and hit the comedy club circuit.

In this thread, we can clearly see the product of the men who have been emasculated and now wish to promegate their emasculation to others out of fear.

The true fear exhibited in this thread are by those who tremble at the thought that anyone could possibly be armed and willing to defend themselves.

And so we continue down the road of the metrosexual.....

Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

In this thread, we can clearly see the product of the men who have been emasculated and now wish to promegate their emasculation to others out of fear.

The true fear exhibited in this thread are by those who tremble at the thought that anyone could possibly be armed and willing to defend themselves.

nyuck nyuck nyuck.
You're just the class clown aren't you, you big ole dummy?

I have a gun in my car at all times, I have 3 or 4 loaded in my house at all times. I have one on my person when I go to any place that might be dangerous. I hope to never have to use one, but I am trained and ready to if my life or the life of someone I care about is put in danger.

...now you've completely abandoned your original flawed premise and resorted to one liners..

In addition to being bulky, hot, and uncomfortable, body armor does nothing for head or extremity shots, nor does it offer much in the way of protection from non-firearm attacks. Also, even protecting against a shot, it's still a painful injury leaving very severe bruising and possibly internal damage. Much easier, more discreet, more conducive to everyday activities, and more effective to stop the attack before it gets to the point of actually harming you by carrying.

So, you are saying that it is not effective for protecting your life. Yet, the police wear them, and they put themselves in harms way every day. It would seem to me that if you are so concerned about your safety, you would do something defensive. Of course, there is nothing macho about wearing a vest, but....

Never mind. I think that I answered my own question.

So, you are saying that it is not effective for protecting your life. Yet, the police wear them, and they put themselves in harms way every day. It would seem to me that if you are so concerned about your safety, you would do something defensive. Of course, there is nothing macho about wearing a vest, but....

You never had a question, genius.
The truth is that vests are bulky and uncomfortable. Guns are pretty easy to carry. A vest won't stop a bad guy from robbing you, or from shooting the person next to you.

What a clown..the police actively look for trouble/criminals and purposely go in harm's way. They need all the protection they can have.

Citizens going about their everyday lives aren't the same as police.

You realize how silly you're looking?..yet you keep on..
Like shooting fish in a barrel.

You were doing better when you posted one liners.

"In this thread, we can clearly see the product of the men who have been emasculated and now wish to promegate their emasculation to others out of fear.
And so we continue down the road of the metrosexual....".
(darkwind)

...now you've completely abandoned your original flawed premise and resorted to one liners..

How could I resist? I suspect that even Freud would not be able to keep a straight face reading a post like this one!

Forum List

Back