Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

Bag of flour, packet of yeast, pinch of salt, and some water....dirt cheap bread and a hell of a lot better tasting than store bought.

Brita water filter and tap water.

You can't buy MCd's etc with food stamps.

Inner cities don't have grocery stores.

What are convenience foods?

Yeah I know Oz's economy is good. I'm just anti-GOP and Pub dupes. Absolutely clueless. Oz has DEMAND with $15 min wage....

Inner cities don't have grocery stores? Since when? Whenever i go through the inner city I've seen and been to countless grocery stores.

Tiny grocery stores with ridiculous prices and bars on the windows?

Around here they have NOTHING in the inner cities...(NY)

Yeah I know Oz's economy is good. I'm just anti-GOP and Pub dupes. Absolutely clueless. Oz has DEMAND with $15 min wage....

Inner cities don't have grocery stores? Since when? Whenever i go through the inner city I've seen and been to countless grocery stores.

Maybe if the people stopped robbing them. They wouldn't need bars on the windows.

What the hell would you have these stores do?

I'd have the COUNTRY have a living wage ($11) and good public transportation...and no more Pub depressions...at least we're finally getting health care without going on welfare...

In California you have to blame the lack of inner city grocery stores on Democrat lawmakers.

I'm not being partisan here. Just telling it like it is. Check out these regulations. And by the way this is from an excellent article on the difficulty of getting grocery stores into the inner city.

I mean come on. Four acres of parking required? In an inner city?

Top grocery chains say the high cost and low availability of land keeps them away from these neighborhoods.

Full service supermarkets are required to have 50,000 sq. ft. buildings and four acres of parking.

The long permit process in California is also a deterrent.

"It's hard to develop a plan for a large grocery because the building costs and estimates can change significantly over the course of the permit process," says Dave Heylen, vice president of communications for the California Grocers Association, which represents 6,000 stores in California.

The Association says it is working with city officials to overcome legal barriers to new grocery stores

Inner-city L.A. hungers for good grocery stores - CSMonitor.com

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?
nope....bread is 1.99 maybe and water is 1.00

coke is 1.25 and chips depending on size and bag 99.2.50+

Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

no, it isn't.

a loaf of bread costs about $2, a bag of chips costs $3

2 liter bottle of coke costs anywhere from $1.25 to $1.79

water comes right out of the tap at about .002 cents/gallon

try again

our water here in Pa is shit. I wont even let my cats drink it.

and how would you feel about a walmart superstore moving in to your area?

In California you have to blame the lack of inner city grocery stores on Democrat lawmakers.

I'm not being partisan here. Just telling it like it is. Check out these regulations. And by the way this is from an excellent article on the difficulty of getting grocery stores into the inner city.

Top grocery chains say the high cost and low availability of land keeps them away from these neighborhoods.

Full service supermarkets are required to have 50,000 sq. ft. buildings and four acres of parking.

"It's hard to develop a plan for a large grocery because the building costs and estimates can change significantly over the course of the permit process," says Dave Heylen, vice president of communications for the California Grocers Association, which represents 6,000 stores in California.

The Association says it is working with city officials to overcome legal barriers to new grocery stores

and dont forget the hand in hand reason.... the unions!

The inner city here crys... we have no grocery.... but try and get one in.. and the unions have a shit fit and block anything... THEY dont approve of.

Fine- when the min. wage is $11.

I'm out in thew country, actually, 47 miles from Buffalo AND Rochester tyvm...

Fine- when the min. wage is $11.

I'm out in thew country, actually, 47 miles from Buffalo AND Rochester tyvm...

oh..so walmart is fine when its the wage you want and not... the state minimum wage? :lmao: And just think what the moms and pops will charge if they were forced to pay 11 bucks and hour as a minimum... :thup:

what... no crying that wallmart is going to put those over priced small mom and pops out of business..... the loss of jobs... oh the humanity?

the way i see it.... dont cry. You cant have it both ways.

Last edited:

and dont forget the hand in hand reason.... the unions!

The inner city here crys... we have no grocery.... but try and get one in.. and the unions have a shit fit and block anything... THEY dont approve of.

Which unions? It's just a screw the poor country (read black)...

Forum List

Back