Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

Noomi

Ninja Kicker
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.
Actually fast food is more expensive than going to the grocery store and buying nutritious foods.
The fact is not only are poor people unhealthy, it is their laziness that contributes to their poor health.
Example...Why cook a decent meal when it's easier to trundle over to the closest fast food joint.

Actually fast food is more expensive than going to the grocery store and buying nutritious foods.
The fact is not only are poor people unhealthy, it is their laziness that contributes to their poor health.
Example...Why cook a decent meal when it's easier to trundle over to the closest fast food joint.

It depends on where you buy your fast food, and which store you buy your groceries from.

I could spend $10 on junk from a fast food joint, and if I went to a supermarket, I could buy a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, and a packet of rice for about the same price.

I agree with people being lazy and not wanting to cook - although I can understand that after working a long day, the last thing you want to do is come home and prepare a meal.

I paid 99 cents for a head of lettuce yesterday and water out of the tap (Which is safer than bottled water) is extremely cheap. Your post is ridiculous. Poor people can afford healthy food. They choose not to.

I paid 99 cents for a head of lettuce yesterday and water out of the tap (Which is safer than bottled water) is extremely cheap. Your post is ridiculous. Poor people can afford healthy food. They choose not to.

You must be fortunate to live in an area where the tap water is actually drinkable. I invite you to my place to drink the tap water. If you like it cloudy and full of grit, I am sure you it will be a real thirst quencher.

Btw I am not defending poor people at all. I want them to buy healthy foods, its just that in the last week I have come to have a bit more understanding about their complaints.

no, it isn't.

a loaf of bread costs about $2, a bag of chips costs $3

2 liter bottle of coke costs anywhere from $1.25 to $1.79

water comes right out of the tap at about .002 cents/gallon

try again

no, it isn't.

a loaf of bread costs about $2, a bag of chips costs $3

2 liter bottle of coke costs anywhere from $1.25 to $1.79

water comes right out of the tap at about .002 cents/gallon

try again

I live in Australia. Please try to remember that our groceries cost a little more over here.

Sweetie,, A family sized bag of chips is $4.50 and a two litre bottle of soda is $2.
Yeah, you can buy the cheap shit for $0.99..
A savvy shopper can pick up a couple of newspapers and look in val pak for mega coupons.
Hell Mrs Spoon saves $20 or more per week by clipping coupons.
Anyone can do this.
One thing that can be done is to stop whining.

Sweetie,, A family sized bag of chips is $4.50 and a two litre bottle of soda is $2.
Yeah, you can buy the cheap shit for $0.99..
A savvy shopper can pick up a couple of newspapers and look in val pak for mega coupons.
Hell Mrs Spoon saves $20 or more per week by clipping coupons.
Anyone can do this.
One thing that can be done is to stop whining.

Okay. Today in the supermarket - a 200gm bag of chips was 99c, and this was one of the best brands. A two litre bottle of coke was on special for 99c - and this was real coke, not the fake shit.

A loaf of bread - the cheap shit is around $1, but it never sells because its shit. The better brands are around $4 on a bad day, discounted by a dollar on a good day.

We don't clip coupons like you Americans do. Its virtually unheard of over here - and we certainly won't waste money on newspapers just to snip out a coupon.

I don't whine. I am happy to buy my own groceries and I don't care about the price. I will buy what is cheapest, though.

It depends on where you buy your fast food, and which store you buy your groceries from.

I could spend $10 on junk from a fast food joint, and if I went to a supermarket, I could buy a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, and a packet of rice for about the same price.

I agree with people being lazy and not wanting to cook - although I can understand that after working a long day, the last thing you want to do is come home and prepare a meal.

No..You stated it was "too expensive"..Now it's "depends"...
As far as the long day thing....Lots of people who actually care enough to feed their families healthy meals make the effort.

No..You stated it was "too expensive"..Now it's "depends"...
As far as the long day thing....Lots of people who actually care enough to feed their families healthy meals make the effort.

If there is a discount store in your area, such as Aldi, you should shop there, the food is cheaper. If you have to choice but to shop at a Safeway, for example, you will be paying more for the same items.

Because the government takes our money through taxes and then makes what we have left over worth less by printing more money.

The min. wage in OZ is $15 American, more than twice what it is here. So I guess their economy has collapsed, along with having health care, the kiss of death...lol

Forum List

Back