Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

In California you have to blame the lack of inner city grocery stores on Democrat lawmakers.

I'm not being partisan here. Just telling it like it is. Check out these regulations. And by the way this is from an excellent article on the difficulty of getting grocery stores into the inner city.

I mean come on. Four acres of parking required? In an inner city?

Top grocery chains say the high cost and low availability of land keeps them away from these neighborhoods.

Full service supermarkets are required to have 50,000 sq. ft. buildings and four acres of parking.

The long permit process in California is also a deterrent.

"It's hard to develop a plan for a large grocery because the building costs and estimates can change significantly over the course of the permit process," says Dave Heylen, vice president of communications for the California Grocers Association, which represents 6,000 stores in California.

The Association says it is working with city officials to overcome legal barriers to new grocery stores

Inner-city L.A. hungers for good grocery stores - CSMonitor.com

and dont forget the hand in hand reason.... the unions!

The inner city here crys... we have no grocery.... but try and get one in.. and the unions have a shit fit and block anything... THEY dont approve of.

Which unions? It's just a screw the poor country (read black)...

the grocery unions here... not sure what they are... safeway, lucky and the like.... WILL NOT ALLOW anything else into the city..... unless THEY approve. Several independent NON union stores have tried to open in areas that need stores... and they were all blocked.

and the city backs that shit

so fuck um.

Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

That's bs. I am poor man. And I can tell you the idea for example that the poor eat fast food because it's cheap is horse shit. Unless you are comparing it to a real Restaurant it's not cheap at all. My family can get 3 meals worth of food, healthy food, that we prepare at home for the cost of one trip of all 4 of us to some fast food joint.

And junk food at the Grocery store is not cheap.

Bag of flour, packet of yeast, pinch of salt, and some water....dirt cheap bread and a hell of a lot better tasting than store bought.

Brita water filter and tap water.

the problem is.... no one wants to think.. or do a little work.

salad... but will not buy a head of lettuce, wash it and cut it up. The will bet the pre bagged stuff.

popcorn... nice snack food... but will buy a bag of pre popped and not pop it themselves.

looking for sales and using coupon's...... is work.
meal planning and cooking... is work.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

Actually, it's not. It all depends on where one shops and how smartly it is one shops. But, I myself am not too concerned with eating healthy. I can eat a bag of potato chips and not gain an ounce so, no biggy.

Actually fast food is more expensive than going to the grocery store and buying nutritious foods.
The fact is not only are poor people unhealthy, it is their laziness that contributes to their poor health.
Example...Why cook a decent meal when it's easier to trundle over to the closest fast food joint.

It depends on where you buy your fast food, and which store you buy your groceries from.

I could spend $10 on junk from a fast food joint, and if I went to a supermarket, I could buy a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, and a packet of rice for about the same price.

I agree with people being lazy and not wanting to cook - although I can understand that after working a long day, the last thing you want to do is come home and prepare a meal.

good food don't hafta be complicated or expensive...

don't take much time or money to cook up a mess 'a greens with a li'l bit of sausage...

it's the cornbread's what takes some time and effort...

but you could use plain sliced bread to sop up the pot likker...

and lotsa folks I knew back when I lived "downtown" would do just that...

and it was a damn good meal... easy to fix and cheap... and the young'uns loved it... and it was good fer ya...

I paid 99 cents for a head of lettuce yesterday and water out of the tap (Which is safer than bottled water) is extremely cheap. Your post is ridiculous. Poor people can afford healthy food. They choose not to.

You must be fortunate to live in an area where the tap water is actually drinkable. I invite you to my place to drink the tap water. If you like it cloudy and full of grit, I am sure you it will be a real thirst quencher.

Have you ever considered getting your pipes checked and make sure they aren't rusting through or having your water provider coming and testing the water and complaining to them that the water quality is poor? I know if I have cloudy gritty water, I'd damn well complain to those I pay my water bill to.

"Move" is the answer of ignorant bigotted a-holes. It's called the nativist argument- "we don't like yer kind around here" LOL. Plus you can't 'Move", shytteheads. lol

Dems will contiue to help you shytteheads despite yourselves LOL You're welcome lol.

I paid 99 cents for a head of lettuce yesterday and water out of the tap (Which is safer than bottled water) is extremely cheap. Your post is ridiculous. Poor people can afford healthy food. They choose not to.

You must be fortunate to live in an area where the tap water is actually drinkable. I invite you to my place to drink the tap water. If you like it cloudy and full of grit, I am sure you it will be a real thirst quencher.

Btw I am not defending poor people at all. I want them to buy healthy foods, its just that in the last week I have come to have a bit more understanding about their complaints.

Again I don't believe you about the water unless you live in Mexico.

Actually fast food is more expensive than going to the grocery store and buying nutritious foods.
The fact is not only are poor people unhealthy, it is their laziness that contributes to their poor health.
Example...Why cook a decent meal when it's easier to trundle over to the closest fast food joint.

It depends on where you buy your fast food, and which store you buy your groceries from.

I could spend $10 on junk from a fast food joint, and if I went to a supermarket, I could buy a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, and a packet of rice for about the same price.

I agree with people being lazy and not wanting to cook - although I can understand that after working a long day, the last thing you want to do is come home and prepare a meal.

don't take much time or money to cook up a mess 'a greens with a li'l bit of sausage...

and it was a damn good meal... easy to fix and cheap... and the young'uns loved it... and it was good fer ya...

Damn that's some good eats right there.

Btw I am not defending poor people at all. I want them to buy healthy foods, its just that in the last week I have come to have a bit more understanding about their complaints.

Again I don't believe you about the water unless you live in Mexico.

as a water professional, I can attest to the fact that there are many places in the US and other places in the developed world that have municipal water supplies considered "safe" (i.e., all potential pathogens have been killed off) but that are nonetheless absolutely unpalatable...

Poh folks get tax dollars in the way of social bennies, like food stamps & cash. Why should they eat healthy food when they can afford potato chips & beer? i mean if these poh folks need medical assistance because of a poor diet... the medical is free through subsidization of tax monies.

If I was poh enough to afford it I'd be smokin' those big Cuban Havana's, drinking the cold ones & eating potato chips too! Wouldn't U???

Damn that's some good eats right there.

yep... sho 'nuff...

Forum List

Back