Why California Has Too Many

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Mar 4, 2013
What's wrong with you people?

Decades ago, the relatively small number of unauthorized residents in the U.S. meant that including them in the Census did not materially change the number of representatives each state was allocated. But today there are between 12 and 14 million people living here illegally, and the number is rising.

As a result, states with large numbers of undocumented immigrants gain the advantage of additional representation in Congress.

Report: California Has Six Extra Representatives Because Illegals Are Counted in Census

Agribusiness and construction doesn't care they simply want them to work.

Regardless of whether they work or not, don't count them. Representation should be based solely upon the number of citizens.

I would also include permanent residents, i.e. people with a Green Card.
I disagree...

They aren't citizens, they are FOREIGN NATIONALS...

They are legal residents of the US, given permission by the government. Allowing them to be counted would blunt a good part of the progressive argument that not wanting to count illegals is somehow "racist"

They followed the rules, they are here with permission, they should be counted.

Regardless of whether they work or not, don't count them. Representation should be based solely upon the number of citizens.

I disagree...

They are legal residents of the US, given permission by the government. Allowing them to be counted would blunt a good part of the progressive argument that not wanting to count illegals is somehow "racist"

They are not citizens.

I disagree...

I've worked jobs that utilized green card holders...

While some come here with the intention of someday becoming citizens, others simply come here to work (with the intention of moving on when they see greener pastures, due to the global economy)....

Our policies shouldn't be made with the people that are just here temporarily to get a paycheck in mind...

They should be made for the benefit of OUR CITIZENS!!!

I would not. Non-citizens should not have representation in the body that sets the laws of the land.

The thing is the wording in the constitution.

counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed

No reference to citizens. However an argument can be made that the framers never considered the sheer amount of people here illegally currently.

Allowing government authorized persons here legally in the count blunts a few of the counter arguments.

I disagree...

I've worked jobs that utilized green card holders...

While some come here with the intention of someday becoming citizens, others simply come here to work (with the intention of moving on when they see greener pastures, due to the global economy)....

Our policies shouldn't be made with the people that are just here temporarily to get a paycheck in mind...

They should be made for the benefit of OUR CITIZENS!!!

The issue is the wording of the census clause in the Constitution, no mention of citizens, just persons.

I disagree...

They are not citizens.

The Census clause doesn't ask for citizens to be counted, but persons.

Allowing legal residents in the count blunts a few of the progressive counter arguments, and makes it more likely (more, not certainly or even probably) for a win in court by the Administration.

That's a bullshit argument. We should never pander to “progressive” lies by making law to assuage any false accusations of racism. Following that logic, we ought to legalize rioting and looting, because there's a narrative being pushed that it is “racist” to prosecute Black Lies Matter thugs for engaging in that behavior.

And as a sovereign nation, we really need not to allow foreigners to have that kind of influence over our government.

That's a bullshit argument. We should never pander to “progressive” lies by making law to assuage any false accusations of racism. Following that logic, we ought to legalize rioting and looting, because there's a narrative being pushed that it is “racist” to prosecute Black Lies Matter thugs for engaging in that behavior.

It's not pandering it's trying to win. If you truly want to not count illegals in the census, allowing legal residents to be counted would go a long way in helping the argument in the courts.

Or you can stick to your principles and give the other side a ready counter that would probably doom the whole attempt.

It's not pandering it's trying to win. If you truly want to not count illegals in the census, allowing legal residents to be counted would go a long way in helping the argument in the courts.

Or you can stick to your principles and give the other side a ready counter that would probably doom the whole attempt.

Again, your argument is just plain bullshit. What it amounts to is caving in to threats and extortion and lies from corrupt elements. There is no way to look at it, that this isn't a very, very, very bad basis on which to make public policy.

And it hands undue control of our government over to foreign powers—this should be absolutely unacceptable to even consider. Are we to be a sovereign nation, or are we not?

Again, your argument is just plain bullshit. What it amounts to is caving in to threats and extortion and lies from corrupt elements. There is no way to look at it, that this isn't a very, very, very bad basis on which to make public policy.

And it hands undue control of our government over to foreign powers—this should be absolutely unacceptable to even consider. Are we to be a sovereign nation, or are we not?

No, it is based on the wording of the Census Clause, and a desire to not count illegals, and to win that in a court fight.

The other option is to change the word "persons" to "citizens" via an amendment.

Forum List

Back