Why aren't monkeys evolving now?

even that is vague, the vast correlations of scents and sounds are forms of decipherable language and used by both Fauna and Flora.

Again, that is communication but not language.
.... I say they can and do already speak a language. ....

And you're wrong.
Just because you, a human, can't understand their language does not mean they don't have a language. Whales have a language, monkeys use sign language, porpoises. Might even say Dogs have writing, in the form of their urine.

No. I've told you, there is a difference between communicating and using language. You are mistaken.
Of course there is a difference between their language and how they communicate and ours. We think deeper no doubt but we are finding out they think deeper than you can imagine. So you are wrong.

They love, they joke, they play, they discuss threats. Sorry it's not as advanced as your communication skills ya fucking retard.

And you're wrong.
Just because you, a human, can't understand their language does not mean they don't have a language. Whales have a language, monkeys use sign language, porpoises. Might even say Dogs have writing, in the form of their urine.

No. I've told you, there is a difference between communicating and using language. You are mistaken.
Define communicating.
Define language.

Can't communicate without language.
Of course you can. A loud yell means "Danger." That's communication. "There's a tiger behind you" is language. Abstract thoughts, detailed communication, all require language. Simply conveying information is communication.

And you're wrong.

Define communicating.
Define language.

Kanzi has exhibited advanced linguistic aptitude.

Kanzi, language-reared male bonobo, converses with Sue Savage-Rumbaugh in 2006 using a portable "keyboard" of arbitrary symbols that Kanzi associates with words.

Kanzi has learned hundreds of arbitrary symbols representing words, objects, and familiar people (including the generic "Visitor").

Although Kanzi learned to communicate using a keyboard with lexigrams, Kanzi also picked up some American Sign Language from watching videos of Koko the gorilla, who communicates using sign language to her keeper Penny Patterson; Savage-Rumbaugh did not realize Kanzi could sign until he signed "You, Gorilla, Question" to anthropologist Dawn Prince-Hughes, who had previously worked closely with gorillas. Based on trials performed at Yerkes Primate Research Center, Kanzi was able to correctly identify symbols 89-95% of the time.

Kanzi cannot speak vocally in a manner that is comprehensible to most humans, as bonobos have different vocal tracts from humans, which makes them incapable of reproducing most of the vocal sounds humans make. At the same time, it was noticed that every time Kanzi communicated with humans with specially designed graphic symbols, he also produced some vocalization. It was later found out that Kanzi was actually producing the articulate equivalent of the symbols he was indicating, although in a very high pitch and with distortions.

If they communicate with us like this I'm sure they communicate much deeper with each other.

And if we were separated from humans at birth we wouldn't know how to communicate like humans either. But we would be able to communicate with the monkeys that raised us. How complex would the conversation be? Lets get out of here! I dare you. Do you want to? I love you. I'll kill you if you eat that. Isn't that beautiful?

Maybe they aren't smart enough to be explained god yet. I wonder.

And you're wrong.

Define communicating.
Define language.

Of course you can. A loud yell means "Danger." That's communication. "There's a tiger behind you" is language. Abstract thoughts, detailed communication, all require language. Simply conveying information is communication.

They just may not be smart enough to ponder how they got here, what happens when they die and is there a god.

But who's to say if I was separated at birth from all humans that I would ever wonder such a thing. Maybe I would wonder how I got here but not come up with the god notion.

Maybe dolphins do ponder this and they think god made them in his image.

We don't know how smart dolphins are. Same way we don't know if there is life on other planets. The fact that we don't know, makes people like Unkotare sound like ignorant assholes when they say they know. Because they don't know shit.

And you're wrong.

Define communicating.
Define language.

I provided links for your edification. Read them.

By language, he is stressing context. The ability to have a grammar. The ability to make new sentences out of words. Studies with apes so far have failed. Initial reports of forming new sentences were later exposed as mimicry, cuz the experimenters cheated and created the sentences themselves and the apes just repeated it.

Birds and cetaceans will create new tunes, so that almost counts.

The Chimp that Could (almost) Talk

And you're wrong.

Define communicating.
Define language.

Kanzi, language-reared male bonobo, converses with Sue Savage-Rumbaugh in 2006 using a portable "keyboard" of arbitrary symbols that Kanzi associates with words.

Kanzi has learned hundreds of arbitrary symbols representing words, objects, and familiar people (including the generic "Visitor").

Although Kanzi learned to communicate using a keyboard with lexigrams, Kanzi also picked up some American Sign Language from watching videos of Koko the gorilla, who communicates using sign language to her keeper Penny Patterson; Savage-Rumbaugh did not realize Kanzi could sign until he signed "You, Gorilla, Question" to anthropologist Dawn Prince-Hughes, who had previously worked closely with gorillas. Based on trials performed at Yerkes Primate Research Center, Kanzi was able to correctly identify symbols 89-95% of the time.

Kanzi cannot speak vocally in a manner that is comprehensible to most humans, as bonobos have different vocal tracts from humans, which makes them incapable of reproducing most of the vocal sounds humans make. At the same time, it was noticed that every time Kanzi communicated with humans with specially designed graphic symbols, he also produced some vocalization. It was later found out that Kanzi was actually producing the articulate equivalent of the symbols he was indicating, although in a very high pitch and with distortions.
Kanzi[edit]
Kanzi, a bonobo, is believed to understand more human language than any other nonhuman animal in the world. Kanzi apparently learned by eavesdropping on the keyboard lessons researcher Sue Savage-Rumbaugh was giving to his adoptive mother. Kanzi learned to communicate with a Lexigram board, pushing symbols that stand for words. The board is wired to a computer, so the word is then vocalized out loud by the computer. This helps Kanzi develop his vocabulary and enables him to communicate with researchers.

One day, Rumbaugh used the computer to say to Kanzi, "Can you make the dog bite the snake?" It is believed Kanzi had never heard this sentence before. In answering the question, Kanzi searched among the objects present until he found a toy dog and a toy snake, put the snake in the dog's mouth, and used his thumb and finger to close the dog's mouth over the snake. In 2001, Alexander Fiske-Harrison, writing in the Financial Times, observed that Kanzi was "asked by an invisible interrogator through head-phones (to avoid cueing) to identify 35 different items in 180 trials. His success rate was 93 per cent."[26] In further testing, beginning when he was 7 ½ years old, Kanzi was asked 416 complex questions, responding correctly over 74% of the time. Kanzi has been observed verbalizing a meaningful noun to his sister.[27]

Question asking[edit]
Despite their impressive (although still sometimes disputed) achievements, Kanzi and other apes, who participated in similar experiments, failed to ask questions themselves. Joseph Jordania suggested that the ability to ask questions is probably the central cognitive element that distinguishes human and animal cognitive abilities.[28] (However, a parrot named Alex was apparently able to ask simple questions. He asked what color he was, and learned "grey" after being told the answer six times.[29]) Enculturated apes, who underwent extensive language training programs, successfully learned to answer quite complex questions and requests (including question words "who", "what", "where"), although so far they failed to learn how to ask questions themselves. For example, David and Anne Premackwrote: "Though she [Sarah] understood the question, she did not herself ask any questions – unlike the child who asks interminable questions, such as What that? Who making noise? When Daddy come home? Me go Granny's house? Where puppy? Sarah never delayed the departure of her trainer after her lessons by asking where the trainer was going, when she was returning, or anything else".[30] The ability to ask questions is sometimes assessed in relation to comprehension of syntactic structures. Jordania suggested that this approach is not justified, as (1) questioning is primarily a cognitive ability, and (2) questions can be asked without the use of syntactic structures (with the use of specific intonation only). It is widely accepted that the first questions are asked by humans during their early infancy, at the pre-syntactic, one word stage of language development, with the use of question intonation.[31]

Great ape language - Wikipedia

And you're wrong.

Of course there is a difference between their language ...

"They" don't use language, humans do.

No scientist says we evolved from monkeys, but that we had a common ancestor.
Dolphins and whales evolved from land mammals.
Where are these common ancestors now? All buried and in the ground. Why did none of these half-monkey, half-men survive to the modern age? It seems awful convenient that none of them are around.
Watch some science shows or read scientific magazines.
People don't seem to be educated about or understand the theory of evolution.
Well, where in hell did the monkeys come from in the first place?
What's it all about, Alfie? LMAO

And you're wrong.

And most importantly, where other species have fixed, limited sets of messages they can convey, humans have an unbounded range of things that can be expressed in language.

there is not a sentence in your link that isn't contradictorly reimposed to satisfy their conclusion as the above to their distinction between the two communication and language, cooking the books is a poor excuse for an answer.

And you're wrong.

And most importantly, where other species have fixed, limited sets of messages they can convey, humans have an unbounded range of things that can be expressed in language.

there is not a sentence in your link that isn't contradictorly reimposed to satisfy their conclusion as the above to their distinction between the two communication and language, cooking the books is a poor excuse for an answer.
True in a way. As we find animals getting closer and closer, they change the definition to increase the gap. That is why I posted the argument. As I said, he is a very tough grader.

Advanced language versus primitive language. He is also arguing creative language

Humans are evolving now. Monkeys are probably also evolving. Evolution takes places over thousands of years. For example, humans are larger than they used to be. Go to an ancient site and see the size of doorways, beds, clothing, etc. Humans are getting larger, physically.
Humans are getting larger because there's more meat in their diet. Go to a country where they still eat mostly corn and beans (Mexico) and you will see how small the people are, especially the Indian women.
That doesn't change the fact of evolution. You are denying a reality. Humans are changing, evolving. This change takes places over thousands of years, so we don't see it on a superficial level. Intellectually, humans are also changing. It's happening. The fact that it may be more protein in the diet that causes people to be larger does not negate the fact that we are evolving. That's only one way we are evolving.

If anything, humans are de-evolving. Evolution happens when groups of a species are separated and allowed to "evolve" on the traits that help them survive in their specific environment.

In the modern age, all humans are connected since travel is so easy. The mixing of human groups that were separated for thousands of years is taking away the uniqueness of each group. Once the human race is nothing but a bunch of mulattos, there will be no diversity and no unique qualities to help humans survive.
It would be more precise to say that humans have beaten evolution and are no longer under its influence.

We now control gene pools through medical technology, science and social policy.

You are talking social evolution, something a bit different & not genetic.
No way Jose.

And you're wrong.

Define communicating.
Define language.

They just may not be smart enough to ponder how they got here, what happens when they die and is there a god.

But who's to say if I was separated at birth from all humans that I would ever wonder such a thing. Maybe I would wonder how I got here but not come up with the god notion.

We don't know how smart dolphins are. Same way we don't know if there is life on other planets. The fact that we don't know, makes people like Unkotare sound like ignorant assholes when they say they know. Because they don't know shit.
I wasn't commenting on intelligence, just language vs communication. That has almost nothing to do with intelligence. And it has been shown that if a human child does not learn a language by about the age of 5, s/he is pretty much incapable of learning language.

And you're wrong.

If you don't understand what you read in the links, that's your shortcoming.

And you're wrong.

Well, an acquaintance showed me some exciting video the other day. It was of Kanzi, a Bonobo that has learned to communicate with humans by pointing at symbols. Kanzi knows thousands of symbols, and videos of him are all over youtube. It’s pretty impressive stuff. Kanzi can give and understand a vast array of commands, and interacts with his handlers regularly using the symbols. To primatologist Sue Savage-Rumbaugh, who has been studying Kanzi all Kanzi’s life, Kanzi exhibits “advanced linguistic aptitude.”

That's science for you're wrong.

And imagine how easily they communicate with one another.

There was probably a smarter species of ape than us but we killed it.

Bonobos and chimpanzees look very similar and both share 98.7% of their DNA with humans—making the two species our closest living relatives. Bonobos are usually a bit smaller, leaner and darker than chimpanzees. Their society is also different—bonobo groups tend to be more peaceful and are led by females. They also maintain relationships and settle conflicts through sex.

They communicate in a variety of ways—visually, by touch and vocally. Male bonobos stay with the group that they were born into; a male’s dominance is based upon his mother’s rank. Bonobos are vulnerable to habitat loss and hunting for bush meat.

Endangered. How smart are humans again?

Define communicating.
Define language.

I wasn't commenting on intelligence, just language vs communication. That has almost nothing to do with intelligence. And it has been shown that if a human child does not learn a language by about the age of 5, s/he is pretty much incapable of learning language.
No kidding? Interesting.

And you're wrong.

I disagree

Dozens of dolphin communication patterns, including the animals' familiar whistles, clicks, and body postures, have been fascinating scientists for years. ... Two Black Sea bottlenose dolphins were recorded exchanging a series of sounds that resembled “a conversation between two people.”

And the science isn't conclusive but the more we learn the more we realize you are wrong. Flat earther creationists. LOL Because I know that's what you are. LOL

Criticism of ape language claims: Aping Language a skeptical analysis of the evidence for nonhuman primate language

"For a start Kanzi — like [Nim Chomsky] before him — did not show the increase in sentence length that is typical of children learning language. In fact, at 1.15 symbols per sentence, Kanzi’s average utterance is even shorter than Nim’s. And it turns out that to complete many of the requests that were put to him Kanzi did not need to understand grammar. For example when Kanzi was asked to “Take the hat to the colony room” — which Kanzi did successfully — all he needed was some sense of “hat” and of “colony room.”14 A hat may be taken to a colony room, but a room cannot be brought to a hat. Successful completion of this instruction suggests an understanding of some vocabulary, but it is not in itself proof of grammatical comprehension. To test grammar what are needed are pairs of reversible commands like: “Dog bites man” and “Man bites dog.” Just knowing those three words — man, bites, and dog — is not enough to comprehend the difference between these two statements. For that difference to be understood grammar is crucial.

Of the 660 commands that Kanzi was given, a mere 21 formed pairs of the “man bites dog” “dog bites man” variety that constitute a critical test of grammatical comprehension. Savage-Rumbaugh and her colleagues reported that Kanzi responded accurately to 12 of these 21 pairs — a modest 57% correct. On closer inspection, however, it became clear to me that their method of coding Kanzi’s responses was unreasonably generous. To take one example: They commanded Kanzi, “Pour the juice in the egg.” Kanzi proceeded to pick up the bowl with the egg in it, sniff it, and shake it. They repeated the command three times — each time changing the wording slightly — before Kanzi did what they asked him to. They nonetheless scored his response as correct. When they asked Kanzi to “Pour some water on the raisins,” he held a jug of water over a lettuce. This was coded as correct. Kanzi’s first reaction to the request to pour milk into water was to stick a tomato in the water. When asked to chase Liz he remained seated; when asked again he touched Liz’s leg and she chased him. All of these were scored correct. When Kanzi was given the two commands, “Make the [toy] doggie bite the [toy] snake” and “Make the snake bite the doggie,” in both cases the snake ended up in the dog’s mouth but both responses were coded as correct. Re-scored to exclude these false positives, Kanzi achieves less than 30% correct."

Similarly, I've looked at the studies of Koko, and while she certainly does use ASL, she requires her handler to translate what she really means. If she truly understood language, anyone who understood ASL should be able to freely communicate with her.

Criticism of ape language claims: Aping Language a skeptical analysis of the evidence for nonhuman primate language

"For a start Kanzi — like [Nim Chomsky] before him — did not show the increase in sentence length that is typical of children learning language. In fact, at 1.15 symbols per sentence, Kanzi’s average utterance is even shorter than Nim’s. And it turns out that to complete many of the requests that were put to him Kanzi did not need to understand grammar. For example when Kanzi was asked to “Take the hat to the colony room” — which Kanzi did successfully — all he needed was some sense of “hat” and of “colony room.”14 A hat may be taken to a colony room, but a room cannot be brought to a hat. Successful completion of this instruction suggests an understanding of some vocabulary, but it is not in itself proof of grammatical comprehension. To test grammar what are needed are pairs of reversible commands like: “Dog bites man” and “Man bites dog.” Just knowing those three words — man, bites, and dog — is not enough to comprehend the difference between these two statements. For that difference to be understood grammar is crucial.

Of the 660 commands that Kanzi was given, a mere 21 formed pairs of the “man bites dog” “dog bites man” variety that constitute a critical test of grammatical comprehension. Savage-Rumbaugh and her colleagues reported that Kanzi responded accurately to 12 of these 21 pairs — a modest 57% correct. On closer inspection, however, it became clear to me that their method of coding Kanzi’s responses was unreasonably generous. To take one example: They commanded Kanzi, “Pour the juice in the egg.” Kanzi proceeded to pick up the bowl with the egg in it, sniff it, and shake it. They repeated the command three times — each time changing the wording slightly — before Kanzi did what they asked him to. They nonetheless scored his response as correct. When they asked Kanzi to “Pour some water on the raisins,” he held a jug of water over a lettuce. This was coded as correct. Kanzi’s first reaction to the request to pour milk into water was to stick a tomato in the water. When asked to chase Liz he remained seated; when asked again he touched Liz’s leg and she chased him. All of these were scored correct. When Kanzi was given the two commands, “Make the [toy] doggie bite the [toy] snake” and “Make the snake bite the doggie,” in both cases the snake ended up in the dog’s mouth but both responses were coded as correct. Re-scored to exclude these false positives, Kanzi achieves less than 30% correct."

Similarly, I've looked at the studies of Koko, and while she certainly does use ASL, she requires her handler to translate what she really means. If she truly understood language, anyone who understood ASL should be able to freely communicate with her.

Did you hear about Kanzi

lr-new-best-bonobo-pics168_.gif

Kanzi the bonobo can recognize several hundred words. He can communicate in complex ways using sign language, even ordering dinner or arguing with his trainer. , he can order dinner, and he might even be able to physically speak in English.

Ape Bites Human’s Finger Off, Then LITERALLY Apologizes

He told his handler to bite a guy who upset him. The trainer said no. Bonzi said, "if you don't I'll bite you". The trainer said I'm not going to bite the man. So Bonzi bit his fingers off. For months Bonzi wanted to see the trainer but the trainer insisted that he apologize. Bonzi told the others he would not apologize but he wanted to see him. He didn't feel he was wrong. He warned him. So months went by and finally Bonzi told the other handlers he was ready to apologize. The reunion was very emotional.

This is pretty deep conversation coming from a bonobo don't you think? What more do you want? If we can understand them and they use, that's communication.

might even be able to physically speak in English.

Forum List

Back