why are we afriad of the draft?

NightTrain said:
Wow! Great hammering here, I have to admit I've been laughing my ass off!

Lolita, my young Chickie, just calm down.

I'm surprised that Sir Evil didn't ban you, because he's faster on the draw than I am, and I was reaching for the banning button pretty quickly. Not because of the Right Wing Conspiracy, but because you have zero knowledge and almost zero debating skills.

It dawned on me that you're very young and naive, and trust me, you are.

Stick around and read some previous threads to educate yourself. You have much learning to do -- and please don't get pissy with my evaluation of you; it's consistent even with fellow liberals on this board.

If having a different opinion then everyone else is offensive, you better just kick me off now,becasue I will never agree with anything a conservative does. I pretty sure if I had this strong of an opinion and I was Republican it would be a different story!!!

The next time I see you post your bullshit comments to members of this board that is even remotely as offensive as this was, you will feel my digital boot in your PUNK ass out of this site at Mach 4.

Punk.

How was anything I said offensive???? This I would like to know?? Opinions=Offensive!!!!

lolita715 said:
You cant be serious!!!! I'd rather be put in jail then go to war. Im against war and I think it's primative that we still have to use violence to get what we want. I do serve my country. I work, which helps out the economy. I volunteer as well which helps out my fellow Americans. You sound like your uneducated. :asshole: :asshole: :asshole: Any one who is pro war, needs to rethink things!! You can support our troops without supporting the war.

this might be construed as offensive ! just a guess

-=d=- said:
It's only debateable by those who haven't served...if they haven't served their country in some capacity, their opinion is not valid; more correctly, their opinion of what is, or is not service is invalid.

Have 'you' worked for your country?

How'd I see this coming a mile away? :rolleyes:

Twist the point to try to discredit me.

Uh.... no. Your way off. Only debateable by those who haven't served? Oh so your going to now tell me you've done this and this and this in "X" branch of governemnt or local service. As if I could check anyways and as if you could check up on me. :rolleyes:

Yes 'I' have worked for my country in many ways.

#1. Ive worked at polls on election day 1996 and 2000, helping out my Mom with checking names, helping voters with procedures, etc..
#2. I pay my taxes which is small role in keeping the country rolling. Just like you.
#3. I support my local Police and Fire Dept. by donating clothes and money (to things like the policeman's ball)

I dont even need to go on.

Now. This is debateable, your comment, because Civil Service or not, its NOT COMBAT. One would think one would want EXPERIENCED heads calling the shots. My point.

Mainframe said:
Uh.... no. Your way off. Only debateable by those who haven't served? Oh so your going to now tell me you've done this and this and this in "X" branch of governemnt or local service. As if I could check anyways and as if you could check up on me. :rolleyes:

What? The record of my service is public information. I have worked for both State and Federal Government at varying levels of responsibilty.

Mainframe said:
Yes 'I' have worked for my country in many ways.

#1. Ive worked at polls on election day 1996 and 2000, helping out my Mom with checking names, helping voters with procedures, etc..

Excellent.

Mainframe said:
#3. I support my local Police and Fire Dept. by donating clothes and money (to things like the policeman's ball)

Good.

Mainframe said:
Now. This is debateable, your comment, because Civil Service or not, its NOT COMBAT. One would think one would want EXPERIENCED heads calling the shots. My point.

Again - Civil Service 'can' be combat; do you feel Paul Bremer was in a combat zone or not? What about the other hundreds? more? of US Civil Service Employees who may be in Iraq or Afghanistan as we sit here comfortably?

My point is - which you aren't addressing - "Only those who 'have served' in some capacity have ANY validity in their criticism of others who have served." Id Est, if one has NOT served their country in some legitimate capacity, their criticism of those who HAVE served their country in some legitimate capacity is invalid.

-=d=- said:
My point is - which you aren't addressing - "Only those who 'have served' in some capacity have ANY validity in their criticism of others who have served." Id Est, if one has NOT served their country in some legitimate capacity, their criticism of those who HAVE served their country in some legitimate capacity is invalid.

D.... we were talking about military and I think it made some kind of tangent move to civil service.

This is what I was originally talking about..
sagegirl said:
I have a problem with the draft for military only, let everybody put in a couple of years for their country in a variety of ways. Just fyi, if you care
This is a list of leading Rep and their service in the military
I've got a list of leading Dems too, if you care
Dennis Hastert: did not serve
Tom Delay: did not serve
Roy Blunt: did not serve
Rudy Giuilani: did not serve
George Pataki: did not serve
Mitch McConnell:did not serve
Rick Santorum:did not serve
Trent Lott:did not serve
DICK CHENEY:DID NOT SERVE several defements, the last by marriage
John Ashcroft:did not serve several defements to teach business
Jeb Bush: did not serve
Karl Rove: did not serve
Paul Wolfowitz:did not serve
Vin Weber:did not serve
Richard Perle: did not serve
Richard Shelby: did not serve
Newt Gingrich:did not serve
Don Rumsfeld: served in Navy 1954-57 as aviator and flight instructor
GEORGE W BUSH: six year Nat'l Guard commitment (incomplete)
Ronald Reagan: due to poor eyesight, served in a non combat role making movies
Gerald Ford: Navy, WWII
Phil Gramm: did not serve
John McCain: Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, Distinguished Flying Cross
Bob Dole:an honorable veteran
Chuck Hagel: Two purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, Vietnam
Jeff Sessions: Army Reserves 1973-1986
GHW Bush: Pilot WWII Shot down by Japanese
Tom Ridge: Bronze Star for Valor in Vietnam
Antonin Scalia: did not serve
Clarence Thomas: did not serve

My question is... without military experience (excluding G.W.), do you think people calling the shots on the war are knowledgeable enough to make the correct call?

BTW, i know this is michael moore list, i recognize it. So, for arguements sake, lets say there's a long list of Democrats as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Mainframe said:
D.... we were talking about military and I think it made some kind of tangent move to civil service.

This is what I was originally talking about..

My question is... without military experience (excluding G.W.), do you think people calling the shots on the war are knowledgeable enough to make the correct call?

Ahhh...

Okay .. gotcha.

Does it matter? Not to me. Unless the person is directly commanding troops, combat or military experience is not required. For example:

I work my way up to SES level of government service, and have an Army Colonel working 'under' my authority. My job to him is to hand out what our 'mission' is - it's HIS/HER job to 'lead troops'...It's incumbant upon me to have a 'clue', but the leading happens in the field, based on the orders of the executives above 'the field'.

Make any sense? I hope so.

-=d=- said:
Ahhh...

Okay .. gotcha.

Does it matter? Not to me. Unless the person is directly commanding troops, combat or military experience is not required. For example:

I work my way up to SES level of government service, and have an Army Colonel working 'under' my authority. My job to him is to hand out what our 'mission' is - it's HIS/HER job to 'lead troops'...It's incumbant upon me to have a 'clue', but the leading happens in the field, based on the orders of the executives above 'the field'.

Make any sense? I hope so.

Actually it does. I think its just a perception issue. You sound like your saying you would have to hand the mission over to the colonel and let him call the shots in combat, you just made the mission.

I believe thats it. I guess my feeling is to have the people making the missions, combat experienced as well. It just seems that it would help more for the person making the mission to fully understand what that mission entails.

But I doubt it's ever really been like that anyways (re: my view).

Mainframe said:
Actually it does. I think its just a perception issue. You sound like your saying you would have to hand the mission over to the colonel and let him call the shots in combat, you just made the mission.

I believe thats it. I guess my feeling is to have the people making the missions, combat experienced as well. It just seems that it would help more for the person making the mission to fully understand what that mission entails.

But I doubt it's ever really been like that anyways (re: my view).

The tricky thing about 'combat experience' is how varied it can be. There were Air Force and other personnel being shot at, with SCUD missiles. That was Combat. There are others who launched Cruise Missiles from Navy Destroyers. That was Combat. There are others still who low-crawled from house to house while taking fire. That too was combat.

Each person would understand something different from their experience.

Even without the actualy shooting, there are 'combat' lessons learned thru realistic training, and understanding of training techniques.

-=d=- said:
Again, as if to a child this time:

There is a difference between stating "Everyone who is a wussy, and a liberal" and "Every liberal IS A WUSSY".

If you can't get past that, there's no hope for you.

Ok

I think folks are "afraid" of it because it might require thier Oprahfied, wussified asses to go out and make a difference. I really don't think that most libs are truely patriotic to this country...

they are afraid of it because they may have to get up off the sofa and actually do something that doesnt require a remote control or a video game.

And my response...

A lot of big talkers here. If you guys aren't afraid and believe in this cause, why aren't you there? Why not head over and do the "American thing", and spread freedom? Come on, wussy's!

So it's really just a challenge to those who run they're mouths off about serving. Why judge people about stuff they have no intent in doing. If you've served then you don't need to worry, you've proven yourself.

MrMarbles said:
Ok

And my response...

So it's really just a challenge to those who run they're mouths off about serving. Why judge people about stuff they have no intent in doing. If you've served then you don't need to worry, you've proven yourself.

Clearly you can see -Cp posted 'general' comments; not specifying, while you were specifically talking about members of this board.

On the original topic of this thread, I would not support a draft because This war is very controversial. Nobody should be forced to fight and die for something that they don’t believe in or believe is wrong.

Just the opinions of a Liberal who did not have to call anyone an asshole to express those opinions.

lolita715 said:
You mean we want to over power everyother nation???? Im sorry I m not pro war and you all would jump for the chance to fight in it, but then why are you not there????
I've already been there.. Thanks

deaddude said:
On the original topic of this thread, I would not support a draft because This war is very controversial. Nobody should be forced to fight and die for something that they don’t believe in or believe is wrong.

Just the opinions of a Liberal who did not have to call anyone an asshole to express those opinions.

Should people be forced to do or accept anything that they don't believe in?
Where do you draw the line here?

deaddude said:

See? we've lost a spirit of service in this nation. There was a time when the only qualifying criteria for a man was 'Does my Country Need me?' - now it's 'is this war approved by the UN??'.

:-/

So,,,waht the hell is the topic anyway? Draft ? If things get to where we need 40 year olds, ( prior service 26 inf 26 MP Co, Mass. ARNG ) I guess with a long nights thinking I would have to say

" Ya, sure. Why not? "

-=d=- said:
Clearly you can see -Cp posted 'general' comments; not specifying, while you were specifically talking about members of this board.

They were specifying against people who are anti-draft, while I was specifying those people, specifying anti-drafters. A bit of a mouth full.

deaddude said:

I appreciate it when comments relate to the topic....thank you. This got way off subject, and frustrated those of us who wanted to speak to the topic from any meaningful thread.

Forum List

Back