why are we afriad of the draft?

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
seriously? What is it with people today - 'fear the draft'.

:-/

If 'this' generation had been around in WWII, Everyone east of the rockies would speak German, everyone west would speak Japanese.

-=d=- said:

If 'this' generation had been around in WWII, Everyone east of the rockies would speak German, everyone west would speak Japanese.

Im not sure. I know if the situation was bad enough that we needed a draft id be more than willing to go fight for my country atleast if they let me with my medical conditions.. Wish i could say the same about other blood relatives.

-=d=- said:

I am sure it's more of a Parent issue - there are alot of Mother's out there with only one Son. One Son to carry on the name. I only have one Son, and I would fear if my Son was called to War, yet I would be proud at the same time if this were his choice.

This might be a bit off your question, but I don't think the draft will be reinstituted, at least not under President Bush. But if it should be reinstituted, who would be more likely to do it? Isn't it Kerry who says we don't have enough boots on the ground and , if elected president, states openly in the campaign that he plans to increase the number serving in the military?

The generation that fought WW 2 had a clear enemy, a clear goal and a just cause. It's a lot easier to fight with the proper motivation.

MrMarbles said:
The generation that fought WW 2 had a clear enemy, a clear goal and a just cause. It's a lot easier to fight with the proper motivation.

We have a clear enemy too. Terrorists and nations and regimes that support terrorism. We have a clear goal: Freedom throughout the world and terrorists either dead or in prison. And we clearly have a just cause. The defense and promotion of freedom throughout the world is certainly a just cause. Fighting tyrants who rule and oppress our brethren throughout the world.

Freedom isnt God's gift to America. Its God's gift to the world. The Lord had a purpose for establishing the United States. We live in an barbaric world. Yet there is a beacon of Freedom to fight barbarism. That is what the United States is.

I think folks are "afraid" of it because it might require thier Oprahfied, wussified asses to go out and make a difference. I really don't think that most libs are truely patriotic to this country...

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
they are afraid of it because they may have to get up off the sofa and actually do something that doesnt require a remote control or a video game.

Exactly, why to be afraid. In almost every other civilized country a military stin is required, in Greece it is two years. It makes you a better pewrson in the long run. But alas our country has become "playstationed and liberal" people don't see civil service as a service anymore.

-=d=- said:

Because wars and enemies are not as distinct and clear as they were for the people who fought in WWII. It was easy to understand where and who to fight. Things are more complicated today. It is harder to have convinction against an enemy not as distinct as Japan, Germany and Italy.

And the idea that "this" generation would have lost WWII is pure speculation. Are you that pessimistic with the generation? There seem to be enough of them to sustain a volunteer military.

MJDuncan1982 said:
And the idea that "this" generation would have lost WWII is pure speculation. Are you that pessimistic with the generation? There seem to be enough of them to sustain a volunteer military.

At no time in history have I seen the sheer volume of distain towards service in the armed forces - instead of ppl saying "If my country needs me, i'm there" We see thousands of spoiled brats crying about their 'rights'. IMO, nobody who is 'able' to serve, yet has not, earns no rights.

i seen a local news broadcast when D2 was getting ready to kick off. there was a woman there protesting her son having to go to war. she stated something to the effect of "my son didnt join the Army to go to war, he joined to go to college." and she said it straight faced!
todays kids, and i know this is a broad generalization, do not see being free as somehting that needs to be "paid" for. i think they see it as a right.

just my opinion

I have a problem with the draft for military only, let everybody put in a couple of years for their country in a variety of ways. Just fyi, if you care
This is a list of leading Rep and their service in the military
I've got a list of leading Dems too, if you care
Dennis Hastert: did not serve
Tom Delay: did not serve
Roy Blunt: did not serve
Rudy Giuilani: did not serve
George Pataki: did not serve
Mitch McConnell:did not serve
Rick Santorum:did not serve
Trent Lott:did not serve
DICK CHENEY:DID NOT SERVE several defements, the last by marriage
John Ashcroft:did not serve several defements to teach business
Jeb Bush: did not serve
Karl Rove: did not serve
Paul Wolfowitz:did not serve
Vin Weber:did not serve
Richard Perle: did not serve
Richard Shelby: did not serve
Newt Gingrich:did not serve
Don Rumsfeld: served in Navy 1954-57 as aviator and flight instructor
GEORGE W BUSH: six year Nat'l Guard commitment (incomplete)
Ronald Reagan: due to poor eyesight, served in a non combat role making movies
Gerald Ford: Navy, WWII
Phil Gramm: did not serve
John McCain: Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, Distinguished Flying Cross
Bob Dole:an honorable veteran
Chuck Hagel: Two purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, Vietnam
Jeff Sessions: Army Reserves 1973-1986
GHW Bush: Pilot WWII Shot down by Japanese
Tom Ridge: Bronze Star for Valor in Vietnam
Antonin Scalia: did not serve
Clarence Thomas: did not serve

uh...GWB completed his Nat Guard time - it was NOT incomplete...the Nat Guard 'released' him; gave him an 'early out'...not uncommon.

interesting.. i hadn't seen that.

link? is that reputable?

and republicans... what do you say about that? besides just skipping over to Bush's service and passing the rest off?

Mainframe said:
interesting.. i hadn't seen that.

link? is that reputable?

and republicans... what do you say about that? besides just skipping over to Bush's service and passing the rest off?

I got this email from a friend that I consider reputable ...i dont know how to set up the link so here goes
www.azcentral.com/news/election/articles/sidebyside-military.html you can also get there via google politicians military service

A lot of big talkers here. If you guys aren't afraid and believe in this cause, why aren't you there? Why not head over and do the "American thing", and spread freedom? Come on, wussy's!

MrMarbles said:
A lot of big talkers here. If you guys aren't afraid and believe in this cause, why aren't you there? Why not head over and do the "American thing", and spread freedom? Come on, wussy's!

I suggest you refrain from calling all the members who posted here 'wussy's'. You're starting to appear more and more as nothing but a troll.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp

Forum List

Back