Why Are There 5,280 Feet in a Mile?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
5d727ad333603.jpg

I love stuff like this. Such interesting things about what we all take for granted.

Why are there 5,280 feet in a mile, and why are nautical miles different from the statute miles we use on land? Why do we buy milk and gasoline by the gallon? Where does the abbreviation "lb" come from? Let's take a look at the origins of a few units of measure we use every day.

The mile comes from Roman mille passum, or a thousand paces. The mile ended up being 5,000 Roman feet, or 4,850 of ours as Romans were shorter. But our mile comes from furlongs, the length of team of oxen could plow in one day. Furlongs were 660 feet and 8 furlongs make up a mile – or 5,280 feet.

So why is a nautical mile different? And how about the acre?

For a big smile, go to Why Are There 5,280 Feet in a Mile? - Mental Floss - Pocket

^^^ You do know that you are talking about a millionaire, right? What makes you think that the man can not count any higher?

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Good exercise for the mind. Share with your kids. Thanks.

Grain, unit of weight equal to 0.065 gram, or 1/7,000 pound avoirdupois. One of the earliest units of common measure and the smallest, it is a uniform unit in the avoirdupois, apothecaries’, and troy systems. The ancient grain, varying from one culture to the next, was defined as the weight of a designated number of dry wheat (or other edible grain) kernels taken from the middle of the ear. It was also used as the original basis for the medieval English inch, which was defined for instructional purposes as the length of 3 medium-sized barleycorns placed end to end (about 2.54 cm). The Sumerian shekel equaled the weight of 180 wheat grains; the British silver penny sterling was set at the weight of 32 wheat grains. The metric grain of 50 mg is used to weigh precious stones.

Grain | unit of weight

Historical basis for units of measurement is a fun subject. In fact there are university credits for classes in that. It's where liberals learn to calculate the speed of light in furlongs per fortnight and other useful stuff.

I remember the big push to metric in the 70's. They taught us both. Now everything is a mix of both with gas and milk in standard and soft drinks in liter bottles. I have both standard and metric tools for mechanical work.

To this day residential housing uses standard measurements. As a framer feet and inches make the most sense for building. The simple fractions are easier to multiply.

I remember the big push to metric in the 70's. They taught us both. Now everything is a mix of both with gas and milk in standard and soft drinks in liter bottles. I have both standard and metric tools for mechanical work.

To this day residential housing uses standard measurements. As a framer feet and inches make the most sense for building. The simple fractions are easier to multiply.

I think the vast majority of product containers today in the USA have both systems printed on them. Pounds and such in bigger letters but the metrics are also there.

My small bottle of Visine has 1/2 fl oz (15ml)

An American advantage to know both systems. In my view.

Standard measurements for framing are based on divisions of 96 inches, an 8 ft sheet of plywood.12", 16", 24" and 19 1/4" layouts for joists will all fall on 96 inches. Metric wouldn't make sense, but works well for other measurements.

Standard measurements for framing are based on divisions of 96 inches, an 8 ft sheet of plywood.12", 16", 24" and 19 1/4" layouts for joists will all fall on 96 inches. Metric wouldn't make sense, but works well for other measurements.

I've always thought it's hilarious that a 2x4 piece of lumber is NOT 2" x 4"

I've always thought it's hilarious that a 2x4 piece of lumber is NOT 2" x 4"
Found a link for that. Had to do with standardizing the many localized mills.
Here's Why a 2x4 is Not 2" x 4"
Now all door jambs and knobs windows and other products all follow those measurements of a 3.5" or 5.5 " wall with one inch of sheetrock, making a jamb 4 9/16 of an inch for 4 1/2 walls.

Forum List

Back