Why Are Theists Afraid of Agnostics?

Theists won't debate a self-proclaimed agnostic.
how do you debate with someone who has no opinion?.....

Opinion has nothing to do with whether God exists or not. Either He does or He doesn't, whether I like it or not. My opinion is that the arguments and evidence for God is insufficient to determine that He exists, or not. If that seems wrong, how so?

never said it did......its simply that there is nothing to discuss with an agnostic.....all they are saying is that they have not made a decision......how do you debate that.....do you tell them they really have made a decision but are denying it?......

I was a christian into my 30's. I just don't believe in god(s) anymore. Do you realize you are thinking with your heart and not your brain?

And maybe you have a good life and you attribute that in part to a god or your belief in that god. And maybe that's even true. I believe it is true for many people. I'm sure millions would say their God has made their life better. Their god has helped them. Their god loves them. There god has a heaven waiting for them.

It's funny how some people (theists) say the more they know god the more they love and worship him and the more we (atheists) learn the more sure we are god doesn't exist. But that's ok for us since we don't believe in heaven and hell. We just appreciate the time we have here and now.

I wasn't alive for billions of years before I was born and it didn't bother me one bit. I'm sure I'll be the same way after I'm gone. That's not sad. What will I care I'll be gone?

No, I did not trade my brain for my heart. Both are still in working order. It is not a 'good' life that has me believing in God, it is life experiences. While knowledge is great and serves us well, our life is mostly made up of relationships and how we relate to others. I mean, it is wonderful to know things, to grow things, to sing, dance, and create works of art. But the central part of our lives is our relationships with people. In other words, love. And God can help us with love.

Not no opinion, my opinion is that I see no proof for or against the existence of god(s).
nothing to argue with there.......I see no proofs either......I simply choose to believe......see why we don't debate agnostics?.......nothing to argue about.......

Why do choose to believe?
ten second version?....
because....
1) I look at the universe and believe it was created....
2) I believe a deity capable of creation would communicate with us....
3) I believe that communication would be successful.....
4) out of all the major world religions only three worship a deity who says he created the universe and has presented us with a communication its believers acknowledge as a communication....
5) all three (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) identify the same creator.....YHWH....
6) of those three, Judaism and Islam teach that humanity is restored to God by humanity's righteous conduct.....
7) observing humanity's conduct, I find that concept unbelievable.....
8) that leaves me with Christianity.....

Opinion has nothing to do with whether God exists or not. Either He does or He doesn't, whether I like it or not. My opinion is that the arguments and evidence for God is insufficient to determine that He exists, or not. If that seems wrong, how so?

never said it did......its simply that there is nothing to discuss with an agnostic.....all they are saying is that they have not made a decision......how do you debate that.....do you tell them they really have made a decision but are denying it?......

That's what I tell them. Think about it. They hear the story from Christians that goes "believe or burn in hell" and they are not Christians. So clearly they don't believe.

They hear the Mormon, Muslim and every other religions story and they don't belong to any of them.

Ok, so now we are talking about a generic/creator/god. Who knows? In fact it is unknowable. So if only a god can know if a god exists then only a person who has met god can know if one exists. So we are all either agnostic atheists or agnostic theists. The only people who don't know they are agnostic theists are people who believe the stories in their holy books.

But honestly, if you are calling yourself an agnostic you are really calling BULLSHIT on all the organized religions. Aren't you?

You are literally saying that after you read the entire bible you still don't have enough evidence??? That means you are calling BULLSHIT on all the main religions.

So all theists are left with is arguing for a generic god?

That's what I tell them.
well, that's the difference between us......you're a brainless idiot.....me, not so much.....besides, aren't you the guy who can't give up calling himself an agnostic.......you hang on to "agnostic atheist" because you're afraid people will actually think you're one of those atheists......now your bad mouthing agnostics......you are really conflicted.......

I was a christian into my 30's. I just don't believe in god(s) anymore. Do you realize you are thinking with your heart and not your brain?

And maybe you have a good life and you attribute that in part to a god or your belief in that god. And maybe that's even true. I believe it is true for many people. I'm sure millions would say their God has made their life better. Their god has helped them. Their god loves them. There god has a heaven waiting for them.

It's funny how some people (theists) say the more they know god the more they love and worship him and the more we (atheists) learn the more sure we are god doesn't exist. But that's ok for us since we don't believe in heaven and hell. We just appreciate the time we have here and now.

I wasn't alive for billions of years before I was born and it didn't bother me one bit. I'm sure I'll be the same way after I'm gone. That's not sad. What will I care I'll be gone?

No, I did not trade my brain for my heart. Both are still in working order. It is not a 'good' life that has me believing in God, it is life experiences. While knowledge is great and serves us well, our life is mostly made up of relationships and how we relate to others. I mean, it is wonderful to know things, to grow things, to sing, dance, and create works of art. But the central part of our lives is our relationships with people. In other words, love. And God can help us with love.

Just some thoughts.

Just because something is perceived as having good consequences if it is true, does not actually make it true.

The fact that religiously free societies with a proportionally large number of atheists are generally more peaceful is evidence this perception is incorrect. We also know how to love without god(s). A lot of other animals mate for life and love their young. We don't need god for this. Without god there is still love. Are you saying you believe or you believe you need to believe?

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
– Steven Weinberg

That's what I tell them.
well, that's the difference between us......you're a brainless idiot.....me, not so much.....besides, aren't you the guy who can't give up calling himself an agnostic.......you hang on to "agnostic atheist" because you're afraid people will actually think you're one of those atheists......now your bad mouthing agnostics......you are really conflicted.......

Atheists ethics are not derived from some reward or punishment after death, but from a rational consideration of the consequences in this life. Essentially all theists unknowingly exercise their innate ‘morality’ or conscience by picking and choosing which parts of their religion to follow.

Not no opinion, my opinion is that I see no proof for or against the existence of god(s).
nothing to argue with there.......I see no proofs either......I simply choose to believe......see why we don't debate agnostics?.......nothing to argue about.......

ten second version?....
because....
4) out of all the major world religions only three worship a deity who says he created the universe and has presented us with a communication its believers acknowledge as a communication....
5) all three (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) identify the same creator.....YHWH....
6) of those three, Judaism and Islam teach that humanity is restored to God by humanity's righteous conduct.....

Are you saying that Muslims and Jews believe the way to heaven is by being a good person and Christians think they all get a free pass into heaven just for believing in Jesus?

That's what I tell them.

Atheists ethics are not derived from some reward or punishment after death, but from a rational consideration of the consequences in this life. Essentially all theists unknowingly exercise their innate ‘morality’ or conscience by picking and choosing which parts of their religion to follow.
/shrugs....I made no comments at all about atheists ethics....I made comments about your intelligence.....

ten second version?....
because....

Are you saying that Muslims and Jews believe the way to heaven is by being a good person and Christians think they all get a free pass into heaven just for believing in Jesus?
nope.....

That's what I tell them.

/shrugs....I made no comments at all about atheists ethics....I made comments about your intelligence.....

Are you as turned on as I am right now?

Just some thoughts.

Just because something is perceived as having good consequences if it is true, does not actually make it true.

The fact that religiously free societies with a proportionally large number of atheists are generally more peaceful is evidence this perception is incorrect. We also know how to love without god(s). A lot of other animals mate for life and love their young. We don't need god for this. Without god there is still love. Are you saying you believe or you believe you need to believe?

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
– Steven Weinberg

I understand, but keep in mind I did not say atheists do not know how to love. My grandfather, husband, uncle, and other family members are atheists. My grandfather and uncle could be classified as quite peaceful, but the rest...well, you might not want them in your survey. ;)

My point is that my experiences of God in my life have been more about helping me with relationships and serving others--an area I have had some struggle with.

I think your religion is has it completely wrong and is messing up the general understanding of God. You, on the other hand, seem to be the most spiritually attune person I have read on this forum, not that I am actually a good judge of such things.

One aspect that surprised me the most when I started reading it, and reading it intensely, was not I got no emotional feel from it, absolutely none. People talk of being overwhelmed with the loving joy of Jesus like a wall of water fell upon them. At this point I believe anyone who says such a thing is delusional, and not just because there is no such person as Jesus Christ (sorry). It is only after I understood who God was and what that meant to me that I developed the deepest of loves for him.

There are parts of the Bible which are extremely challenging mentally. There are also some parts when one really feels the pain of having to choose. If one is not up to taking on both of those one is not up to learning about God.

You haven't been reading this forum lately I take it. Us theists have been pummelling everything and everyone who comes our way. Thanks for stepping up. You have a point to that catchy intro?

Excellent. I'm glad you're up to the challenge.

So my main point has to do with the nature of why beliefs are held, in particular beliefs in God. What makes you so sure that God exists that you BELIEVE it but not so sure that you KNOW it? I'm drawing a distinction here between belief and knowledge and about sufficient and valid reason for what one believes and for what one knows.
Uh, you might want try someone less, well, familiar with God. I'm happy to play though. I know God because I talk with him every day.

So then the question is, how do I know you aren't delusional about that? How do you show an unbeliever that just because you speak to Him everyday, God exists. That's hardly a convincing argument for any perspective outside of yours. Does He respond? Do you hear His voice? If so, how do you know you aren't hallucinating? How do I know you aren't hallucinating?
OK, so I made a couple attempts at this, the second is also a reply to this post of yours. I also so have posts in several other threads in this forum you can read as you like. Are we ready to move past this question and onto the next?

I think your religion is has it completely wrong and is messing up the general understanding of God. You, on the other hand, seem to be the most spiritually attune person I have read on this forum, not that I am actually a good judge of such things.

Good judge or not, those are very kind words. I thank you. The main thing I know about Catholicism is that it (figuratively) dropped me into the lap of God. That is why I cannot think of it as completely wrong.

One aspect that surprised me the most when I started reading it, and reading it intensely, was not I got no emotional feel from it, absolutely none. People talk of being overwhelmed with the loving joy of Jesus like a wall of water fell upon them. At this point I believe anyone who says such a thing is delusional, and not just because there is no such person as Jesus Christ (sorry). It is only after I understood who God was and what that meant to me that I developed the deepest of loves for him.

The Gospel accounts of Jesus Christ present him as a very balanced personality--or at least I find that so. Who do you understand God to be?

There are parts of the Bible which are extremely challenging mentally. There are also some parts when one really feels the pain of having to choose. If one is not up to taking on both of those one is not up to learning about God.

I tend to agree with this, but am wondering which parts you find painful? (If you care to talk about them.)

That's what I tell them.

apparently not......

Good judge or not, those are very kind words. I thank you. The main thing I know about Catholicism is that it (figuratively) dropped me into the lap of God. That is why I cannot think of it as completely wrong.

The Gospel accounts of Jesus Christ present him as a very balanced personality--or at least I find that so. Who do you understand God to be?

I tend to agree with this, but am wondering which parts you find painful? (If you care to talk about them.)
The same with me and Christianity. If the NT did not still have the OT attached to it there probably would not be millions of copies of God's word in people's hand right now. Even so calling some guy walking down the road turning the other cheek god puts me at a loss for words.

I understand God to be who he tells me he is. In case you have not read my other posts I am that person claiming to talk to God. Why? Well, because I talk to God.

Moses dying upsets me. Forget meeting Jesus, I want to meet Moses. I would say the most painful is the power of God and the choices of man. People ask why a 3-year-olds dies of cancer and God has all this power. God has offered to help. He would love to help. He wants more than anything to help but the family does not know God. They either do not pray or the pray to a false god, they do not follow the laws of Moses, and they sin at practically every occasion comes their way. (A slight digression. People should only judge God by their personal relation with God. One can not say that someone else was wronged and therefore God is not just because one can never know all the circumstances of that occurrence.) Just think about the times when there has been a great calling on Jesus to save someone and God, not Jesus, finally gives in and saves the person. Now everyone runs around yelling, “Jesus saves!” and they are that much further away from knowing God. Do you blame him for not saving the 3-year-old?

That's what I tell them.

apparently not......
Hey, tell us the one again about how you believe in things without foundation just because you're a simpleton and can't rationalize properly so you make shit up. :popcorn:

apparently not......
Hey, tell us the one again about how you believe in things without foundation just because you're a simpleton and can't rationalize properly so you make shit up. :popcorn:
???....projecting instead of debating again?.....

Alright, the title is sensationalistic but it got you to click my thread, right?

However, there is some truth to it. Theists almost always label all unbelievers as atheists, either not understanding that agnostics also don't believe in their God or purposely or unconsciously leaving that designation out because agnosticism is unassailable.

Theists won't debate a self-proclaimed agnostic. I think for the same reason.

Theists typically define atheists as those who believe there is no God. Atheists define themselves as either believing there is no God or not convinced there is a God. I think theists like to define atheists as making the positive claim that there is no God because that is a weaker position than the position that theists' claims are not convincing.

It's very telling. The weaker position relies on an unsubstantiated claim - really a claim that can not be rationally supported at all. A faith-based claim, if you will.

We've all heard that counter from the faithful that atheism requires more faith than theism. That doesn't work with agnosticism.

It seems as though we all recognize wherher consciously or unconsciously that agnosticism is the only rational position: that belief is irrelevant to the big questions of existence. That believing there is no God is just a irrational as believing there is. Well, not AS irrational.

There is no evidence for the existence of God, and, although theists would never admit it, lack of evidence IS evidence that supports that no God exists. It doesn't PROVE it, but it supports it.

Agnosticism is a refrain from belief. It isn't fence sitting. It isn't cowardice. Its an inability to be convinced by irrational arguments, unsubstantiated claims, and insufficient evidence. Its simply not finding convincing arguments for making a decision. Perhaps that requires a leap of faith. But truth doesn't require faith or belief - truth is truth whether one believes it or not. But to convince others of truth requires definitive evidence and to convince others to believe requires a desire to subjugate rationality for a misdirected attempt to substantiate your own beliefs.

This agnostic will wait for the evidence. Until then, I can't believe.

Why there is no god

number 25 explains.

Most atheists, including famous ones such as Richard Dawkins, fall into the category of ‘Agnostic Atheism’ – they don’t claim to know with certainty that god does not exist. Conversely, most theists are ‘Gnostic Theists’ – they claim to know with certainty that their particular god exists.
When most atheists say “God does not exist” they are generally speaking in the same manner as when people say “Leprechauns/Santa Claus/Fairies/Unicorns don’t exist” – those things do not appear to exist within contextual reality in which we find ourselves but, importantly, the statement is not necessarily an absolute one.

There are, however, gnostic atheists who are certain no god exists and they generally point to logical problems that would arise from said god’s existence or evidence this universe is inconsistent with a god, for example:

The existence and non-existence of a god are not equally probable outcomes. The majority of things we can possibly imagine do not exist. Thus, belief is not as valid a position as skepticism when dealing with unsupported or unfalsifiable claims. Agnostic atheism is the most rational position.

Forum List

Back