Why are left-handed mechanic tools so expensive?

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
1655216239275.png

I have a whole toolbox full of left-handed wrenches and other tools.
Over the years, I've spent twice as much as my right-handed fellow mechanics on tools.
It's such a ripoff

I purchased a metric adjustable wrench years ago to use along with my other metric tool sets.
It shows my customers that I'm a real professional mechanic. .... :thup:

Last edited:
I own five identical 5/8 inch box wrenches.
That's because the classic Javelin has a water pump that is prone to failure.
To swap the pump supposedly can take 5 hours because you have to pull the radiator because the five bolts that hold the fan onto the shaft are too long to use a ratcheting socket and you can't unwind them all the way. Of course you can go half way and then resort to an oen end wrench but there's not much room to work with it.
So the answer is one volt; one box wrench.
I know, it sounds silly but it make the impossible possible.
First time I did it I got the rebuilt pump in a locally owned store promised to have the "core" returned later that day.
That got a laugh as it was late in the day.
When I brought it back one our later (including driving time) he was amazed. But he also had been wondering why I have bought four cheap box wrenches at the same time I got the rebuilt pump. Know why I bought the 4 wrenches?

Ever hear of a ratcheting box wrench? A number of mfrs. make them. Are you kidding? A Javelin? Why didn't you go all out and buy a Pacer. LOL
Yup. Too expensive for the purpose. Besides, the small local shop (next one 90 miles away) had only one in stock. It might seem that one would be enough but not so. To unwind the bolts enough to remove them the head of the bolt is tight against the radiator so the box wrench must remain on the shaft of the volt until the bolt is removed. Then, when putting them back on, the wrench gets put on the bolt before squeezing the bolt between the radiator and the fan, Once it's started in (finger right doesn't work in that limited space though a monkey with very small paws might succeed).

Why a Javelin? Initially because my wife loved the look the V8 power and the 4-on-the-floor transmission which I think was something after-market (we bought it used and restored it). She also loved that as she approached almost anything from behind they'll pull off to the side and let her zip on by. She never got a speeding ticket - I think she out-ran 'em!

Javelin-.jpg

Forum List

Back