Why are left-handed mechanic tools so expensive?

Yup. Too expensive for the purpose. Besides, the small local shop (next one 90 miles away) had only one in stock. It might seem that one would be enough but not so. To unwind the bolts enough to remove them the head of the bolt is tight against the radiator so the box wrench must remain on the shaft of the volt until the bolt is removed. Then, when putting them back on, the wrench gets put on the bolt before squeezing the bolt between the radiator and the fan, Once it's started in (finger right doesn't work in that limited space though a monkey with very small paws might succeed).

Why a Javelin? Initially because my wife loved the look the V8 power and the 4-on-the-floor transmission which I think was something after-market (we bought it used and restored it). She also loved that as she approached almost anything from behind they'll pull off to the side and let her zip on by. She never got a speeding ticket - I think she out-ran 'em!

View attachment 658417
Hmm... javelin..AMC.. you need 4 concrete blocks or the weight thereof in the trunk so the rear wheels get proper traction. 2 45-lb Olympic barbell plates work too.

90-400 lbs extra in the trunk is what a Javelin needs. My friend had the "light tan" model.

To solve this problem do what I do, use both hands.
My favorite tool is the pipe I slip over the end of the wrenches. I break things.

It seems wheel lugs and header bolts are my nemesis. Yeah, impact wrenches work, but 19 year old me did not know about those things. I broke a lot of things. EZ out ain't so easy.

Last edited:
Left-handers are obviously an oppressed minority. They need to start some mostly-peaceful riots. Make sure you get some left-handed Molotov cocktails, else it might blow up in your face.
:stir:

You put a cheater on a chuck key? Wow, you must have worked where I worked. I've seen more ruined drill chucks from over tightening.

You obviously dont know what a machinist is referring to when we say chuck wrench.
1659658368310.png

You obviously dont know what a machinist is referring to when we say chuck wrench.
View attachment 678114
I never had need for a cheater on a lathe chuck key either. But looking at the condition and safety of that lathe, I don't doubt you had a problem. Who lets a lathe get rusted to that degree and open gears in the head are absolute stupidity.

Forum List

Back