Why are guns so important to Americans?

Inferno

boatwoman
Aug 15, 2008
the river styx
I am very anti gun. I think they should all be collected and melted down to make something useful. When i say this most people look at me like I am crazy. You may too. I just want to know why people feel the need to have them. Please explain this need if you would be so kind.

I am not a fan of guns either ... but the law was made before thugs and criminals took advantage of it with their AK-47's. I agree with what Obama said in his speech about it.

Since it is a Right listed in the founding document of our country.

A majority of Americans would see banning guns as a personal attack on their freedoms and liberity.

Weapons insure that the people will be able to protect themselves, their neighbors, their communities, their States and their Country. A populace denied the right to own weapons are nothing more than subjects to be ordered about at the whim of said Government, with no means to resist or fight back.

And as for the AK-47 comment, what a joke, so few of them are used in crimes as to be meaningless.

And yes I and millions more will go to the wall for our right to own weapons. And the Supreme Court agrees.

I am not a fan of guns either ... but the law was made before thugs and criminals took advantage of it with their AK-47's. I agree with what Obama said in his speech about it.

I have really no problem with someone hunting. I state the extreme of my position. I think that something does need to be done to curb violence in the streets. But with so many people worried about gun control it is hard to make it happen.

And as for the AK-47 comment, what a joke, so few of them are used in crimes as to be meaningless.

And yes I and millions more will go to the wall for our right to own weapons. And the Supreme Court agrees.

You take everything so literal! If you did not see what I meant then you are blind as well as being a "COF" :eusa_shifty:

I am sure our founding father's did not think "Six Shooter's" would be used in the West to rob "Stage Coaches", either! You get my point now? :doubt:

I have really no problem with someone hunting. I state the extreme of my position. I think that something does need to be done to curb violence in the streets. But with so many people worried about gun control it is hard to make it happen.

Gun control only disarms law abiding citizens it does nothing to stop criminals from getting weapons. In fact higher crime rates occur in places with the most restrictive gun laws. Why? Cause the criminals know they have little chance of being confronted by an armed victim.

Gun control only disarms law abiding citizens it does nothing to stop criminals from getting weapons. In fact higher crime rates occur in places with the most restrictive gun laws. Why? Cause the criminals know they have little chance of being confronted by an armed victim.

In a case like this if no one was allowed gun ownership if they took them all would you be okay with that?

If there were a way to gather all the guns in the world.....then your solution would apply.....but even after that.....they would be remade.

Guns will NEVER go away.....and because of that.....I will remain armed.

An unarmed society.....consists of subjects.

A armed society......consists of free people.

How this doesn't make sense to some people Devy's logic.

Why is it so hard to understand that the second amendment helps to protect the "Right" to free speech that you excercise on this very board.....let alone all the other freedoms we have.

Its easy.....

Don't try to kill me or I'll shoot you.

Don't try to unlawfully take my home , kids etc....or I'll shoot you.

Don't rape my wife.....or I'll shoot you....better yet.....she'll shoot you.

Don't invade our country.....or we'll all shoot you.

Don't tread on me!!!! Don't try to make me a subject.

If all men are created equal.......my gun is an equalizer.

I never want to use my self defense gun for its intended purpose....never.

But I likewise can not fathom what tool is better if the purpose is necessitated.

In a case like this if no one was allowed gun ownership if they took them all would you be okay with that?

No, for several reasons. One you can not disarm everyone and you sure can not stop guns from being smuggled in. Also disarming the public ensures that eventually the Government will take advantage of their inability to protect themselves.

In the UK they have taken away guns from basically everyone.

In the last few years, knife attacks and stabbings have become epidemic.

Exactly! Then when they take away the knives, we go back to making weapons out of stone, and other materials. The incarcerated criminals are already doing it in prison. They stay one step ahead of law enforcement and the law, so they are prepared to be released.

56022939.jpg

Getting rid of guns will not solve anything. IMHO.

No, for several reasons. One you can not disarm everyone and you sure can not stop guns from being smuggled in. Also disarming the public ensures that eventually the Government will take advantage of their inability to protect themselves.

Reasonable. How much crime do guns actually stop? in the comission of a crime how many times do people who want guns have them to stop the prep.?

Taking guns away from the people puts all the power into the hands of the government. All of the great mass murders in history were preceded by taking the guns away from the people, from Nazi Germany or the gulags of the USSR, to PolPot to Mexican and S. American genocide of native peoples. This is why Thomas Jefferson said the beauty of the 2nd Amendment is it really won't be necessary until the government tries to take it away.

America was founded on individual liberty, with the idea we should be free to do as we please if we are not harming others. To create a country of this sort the founding fathers had to figure out a way to make use free from the inevitable pushes towards tyranny. Putting all the power into the hands of a gigantic central government renders the citizens helpless and crooked laws control them. Politicians/tyrants become so powerful they can skirt any restrictions and if not for the fear vigilante citizens will hold them accountable often will commit terrible crimes.

In case you have not heard of The Shot Heard Around the World, April 19th(Patriots Day) 1775, this is the day the first two battles of the Revolutionary War began as a response to the British order to seize and destroy all American guns and ammunition. Americans were not so dumbed down then to not know the purpose of these actions was to take our freedom and turn us into subjects of the Crown. Americans on that day rose up and fought for our freedom and liberty. We inheirited our freedom from these men and we owe it to future generations and ourselves to do the same if it happens again.

Although the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to prevent government tyranny, guns are also necessary for protection. The police will not save you from criminals, they will come and write a report looking down at your slain/raped body maybe a detective will get some time to look into it and if your lucky even solve the murder. Thats the best you can expect from the police. A single woman without a gun has no defense against someone trying to rape her or kidnap her child, a single man can rarely take on a gang of criminals without a weapon. The reason you are as safe as you are is not because of police. It is because criminals know many Americans have guns, and they can get shot for harassing or barging into peoples homes.

I definitely support the right to gun ownership. My primary interest in this topic (which I generally consider to be a non issue as both sides are way closer than the extremes want to paint, imo) is in that in hunting you are feeding your family in one of the greenest most organic manners possible, reducing the numbers of animals that carry lyme disease etc in the process. Also, members of the NRA tend to be very invested in keeping the environment clean.

Banning assault rifles seems more reasonable, I don't personally see how they provide additional protection or anything for individuals and they certainly are capable of mass death. Handguns I don't particularly care one way or the other.

I will say that of the bereaved parents I have met that have lost a child in a shooting death, it was always by a gun in their house, killed by someone they knew. But I don't think that is a reason to ban guns, any more than I think the fact that people have abortions is a reason to ban abortion.

People should smarten up, and make decisions that are considered, these things shouldn't be legislated. There are plenty of non-legislative actions that can reduce abortion, gun violence, and whatever, and then our freedoms aren't trampled.

/end libertarian opinion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back