Why Are Gun Shows So Crowded?

Universal background checks cannot be effective w/o universal gun regustration.
That, of course, is the plan...
That doesn't make sense.
Why does a background check not work unless there is registration?
Checks for criminal history and flags on mental condition have nothing to do with registration.
UBC applies to sales between private parties.
For the state to prove that the UBC law as broken, it has to prove that the transfer between these private parties took place after the law was enacted.

UBC applies to sales between private parties.
For the state to prove that the UBC law as broken, it has to prove that the transfer between these private parties took place after the law was enacted.

I see.

Here in the peoples republic, they already register all guns. But enforcing private sales would be impossible.

peoples_republic_of_california_sculpted_pin_photosculpture-p153803443557595711bfrlf_400.jpg

Universal background checks cannot be effective w/o universal gun regustration.
That, of course, is the plan...

That doesn't make sense.

Why does a background check not work unless there is registration?

Checks for criminal history and flags on mental condition have nothing to do with registration.
It would be defacto universal gun registration, as every transfer would be subject to the background checks.

That's just it...You, as a private seller, would be on the hook to make sure the individual to whom you sell/give a weapon would have to pass a background check....I presume this would apply to friends and family.

I've heard of unfunded mandates, but this one takes the cake.

The dealers are required to run checks but not if they are selling at gun shows.
This is either a lie or abject ignorance, as dealers have to follow the same laws wherever and whenever they sell a gun.
I'll go with abject ignorance...Sarah isn't prone to lying.

Sarah G is absolutely correct. I have been to plural gun shows and I KNOW you can walk away with guns from them. I know two people who went to two shows in Maryland in the last two months and both of them walked away with guns, no background checks. I know from a book I read about it that this is how the Columbine killers got their guns, they got an 18-year-old girld to buy the guns for them at a gun show while they stood by her. No background checks, cash transaction.

I am amazed and rather delighted to see that there are gun advocates here who actually don't know as much as I do about gun shows! I don't think some of you ever went to one!

Gun shows are so crowded because people trust the government less and less as the government pursues crowding out the private sector, civil society, and individual liberty.

Last edited:
This is either a lie or abject ignorance, as dealers have to follow the same laws wherever and whenever they sell a gun.
Sarah G is absolutely correct.
No. She is is absolutely wrong, and so are you.

Her statement:
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarah G
The dealers are required to run checks but not if they are selling at gun shows.
Federal law requires all licensed dealers to run a background check for every sale, regardless of where the sale takes place.

I bought a gun at a gun show last weekend - and I walked home with it. There was a background check done and I have a concealed weapon permit so there was no waiting period - the background check was done on-line and took about ten minutes.

I bought a gun at a gun show last weekend - and I walked home with it. There was a background check done and I have a concealed weapon permit so there was no waiting period - the background check was done on-line and took about ten minutes.

None of the people I know who bought guns and took them home in the last couple months had any concealed weapon permits or anything else -- one of them was buying his first gun! There was no delay or anything. They paid, they walked out with the guns.

No, pretty much anyone can and does walk into gun shows and walk out with however many guns they can afford. That's why the Columbine killers bought their arms at a gun show, of course. They were underage. It was easier than going to a gun shop. Though given they got this girl to front for them, who knows, maybe they could have gone to a shop, but they'd have had to wait a week or whatever and then come back, with her.

Then they bought their guns from private citizens and not a licensed dealer.
Licensed dealers have to perform the background checks.
I hope your friends are not criminals......

Nope, that's the whole point of gun shows. People walk in, plunk down their money, go home with a gun. Why else would the dealers show up at gun shows? No point to them if they couldn't sell.

The guys who bought the guns -- from regular dealers with tables set up as usual --- were solid citizens, and they could hardly walk around at all, both gun shows were so crowded with other solid citizens (or whatever........) buying guns, guns, guns.

I love this. I had not expected to be the expert on gun shows here!!!! But some of you don't seem to know how it works.

Nope, that's the whole point of gun shows. People walk in, plunk down their money, go home with a gun. Why else would the dealers show up at gun shows? No point to them if they couldn't sell.

The guys who bought the guns -- from regular dealers with tables set up as usual --- were solid citizens, and they could hardly walk around at all, both gun shows were so crowded with other solid citizens (or whatever........) buying guns, guns, guns.

I love this. I had not expected to be the expert on gun shows here!!!! But some of you don't seem to know how it works.

What you obviously don't understand is that licensed dealers have to do the background check on every sale no matter where they sell the gun. They are required to track their inventory or they can lose their license.
I can only conclude that you are either lying or that you don't understand the difference between a dealer and a private citizen. While either can be a vendor at a gun show the dealer MUST perform the background check by law.
Those are the true facts - your interpretation may differ but the facts remain.

Sarah G is absolutely correct. I have been to plural gun shows and I KNOW you can walk away with guns from them. I know two people who went to two shows in Maryland in the last two months and both of them walked away with guns, no background checks. I know from a book I read about it that this is how the Columbine killers got their guns, they got an 18-year-old girld to buy the guns for them at a gun show while they stood by her. No background checks, cash transaction.

I am amazed and rather delighted to see that there are gun advocates here who actually don't know as much as I do about gun shows! I don't think some of you ever went to one!
Those are the rare exceptions, not the norm...The vast, vast minority of those selling guns at guns shows are licensed merchants, required to run background checks.

You don't know diddly-poo about gun shows...Your anecdotal evidence doesn't add up to jack schitt.

Those are the rare exceptions, not the norm...The vast, vast minority of those selling guns at guns shows are licensed merchants, required to run background checks.

You don't know diddly-poo about gun shows...Your anecdotal evidence doesn't add up to jack schitt.

Wondering aloud.....

If one were to peruse the leftist hate sites like ThinkProgress or Communist Dreams, would one happen upon similar stories and the suggestion that such claims be spread by good party members?

Okay, I took advice from a guy who really DOES know a lot about gun sales ----- in Maryland.

First off, there are big differences in state rules.

In Maryland, there is of course a waiting period for buying guns from gun shops.

At gun shows, there is no waiting period for most guns. They do give you a 20-question form to fill out -- Are you crazy? Do you beat your wife? Like that. Really. From his description, I am dying to see one of these forms. And then they call in your name and social security to a central clearing house that quickly clears the transaction in seconds, and then you carry off your gun. Obviously they clear pretty much everyone, even if they are certifiably crazy. The craziness records are not getting thru the system, as we all know by now. The system is very quick: it is designed to sell guns, not to stop the sale of guns.

HOWEVER, there is a category of guns that you have to wait on even if you buy them at the shows. In Maryland that is all hand guns AND all assault rifles. You fill out the form, you pay, you either drive a week later across the state or they will send it to a licensed gun dealer near you, for a small service fee, like $10. In Ohio, there is NOT a waiting period for the handguns, at least, as we heard from a friend who bought one and walked out with it. Actually, I once bought a handgun in Maryland and walked out with it from a shop, but that was before the Brady Bill passed, I believe, years ago.

Another option at gun shows is the private sales, that are completely exempt from the forms and phone check: this works by men carring a rifle or whatever around the show with a sign held up saying what it is and the price, and private sales are allowed by the show (surprised me: selling animals privately on the grounds is definitely not allowed at livestock auctions, but they do allow private sales at Maryland gun shows, very colorful).

Okay, I took advice from a guy who really DOES know a lot about gun sales ----- in Maryland.

In Maryland, there is of course a waiting period for buying guns from gun shops.

At gun shows, there is no waiting period for most guns. They do give you a 20-question form to fill out -- Are you crazy? Do you beat your wife? Like that. Really. From his description, I am dying to see one of these forms. And then they call in your name and social security to a central clearing house that quickly clears the transaction in seconds, and then you carry off your gun. Obviously they clear pretty much everyone, even if they are certifiably crazy. The craziness records are not getting thru the system, as we all know by now. The system is very quick: it is designed to sell guns, not to stop the sale of guns.

HOWEVER, there is a category of guns that you have to wait on even if you buy them at the shows. In Maryland that is all hand guns AND all assault rifles. You fill out the form, you pay, you either drive a week later across the state or they will send it to a licensed gun dealer near you, for a small service fee, like $10. In Ohio, there is NOT a waiting period for the handguns, at least, as we heard from a friend who bought one and walked out with it. Actually, I once bought a handgun in Maryland and walked out with it from a shop, but that was before the Brady Bill passed, I believe, years ago.

Another option at gun shows is the private sales, that are completely exempt from the forms and phone check: this works by men carring a rifle or whatever around the show with a sign held up saying what it is and the price, and private sales are allowed by the show (surprised me: selling animals privately on the grounds is definitely not allowed at livestock auctions, but they do allow private sales at Maryland gun shows, very colorful).

So then, you were less than truthful when you claimed first hand knowledge?

:eusa_liar:

:eek:

Who wooda guessed it?

:eusa_whistle:

EDIT:

Thanks for coming clean, though.

Last edited:
So then, you were lying when you claimed first hand knowledge?

:eusa_liar:

:eek:

Who wooda guessed it?

:eusa_whistle:

Everything I said about my experience and that of people I know is true. He simply has more experience and it was time to ask him these points that have been brought up.

Since you are calling me a liar you aren't worth talking with further, so good-bye.

Everything I said about my experience and that of people I know is true. He simply has more experience and it was time to ask him these points that have been brought up.

Since you are calling me a liar you aren't worth talking with further, so good-bye.

It's the CDZ, I wouldn't call you any names here. I was simply asking for clarification - since your own source contradicts the rather fanciful tales you were telling...

FEDERAL law requires background checks from all licensed gun dealers, which comprise 95%+ of all sellers at gun shows.

You have NFI what you're blabbering about.

Forum List

Back