Why Are Gun Shows So Crowded?

You are agreeing that the huge crowds at gun shows -- and this is really happening, there has been media coverage of it, too -- is psychos wanting to get guns before they have to "show they are stable,"
No.
It is in anticipation of people like the person I responded to, and you, who offer nothing but mindless, ignorant and bigoted opinions on the issue, actually getting your way and enacting meaningless, needless, ineffective and unconstitutional restructions on the right to arms.
Why don't you argue your points on the Politics forum instead of here? Your post is unsuitable to this forum.
Characterizing your opinions as mindless, ignorant and bigoted does not violate the rules of this forum.

Now then - you have your answer. Did you have an effective response?

Why Are Gun Shows So Crowded?

Fear!
Be very afraid.
Real Men are scared shitless without a gun!

I suppose so.

I personally think it has a lot to do with the aging of America. There are a lot of older men now who know they can not move around or fight too well anymore and they feel vulnerable, perhaps --- they want an Equalizer, which was an early nickname for the revolver.

Yes in a part I suppose that is true.
But from my observations is is not limited to the old many with limited mental function and dangerous with a gun.
re. The old guy who killed someone for parking in his driveway.
The 20 somethings are very energized from the wars and are in full fledged gun nut mode.

But from my observations is is not limited to the old many with limited mental function and dangerous with a gun.
The 20 somethings are very energized from the wars and are in full fledged gun nut mode.

I'm thinking of starting a thread on this age issue. The gun problem DOES seem to divide into three ages of gun nuts --- the young males who do violent video games and decide to compete with other shooters by killing a lot of people and then suiciding; then the middle aged men who charge into their workplaces blazing away because they got fired or insulted or something felt wrong to them about where they worked; and finally the hard-arteries old guys we are starting to see so many of! They're okay for years and years, maybe their whole lives, and suddenly in their 60s and up, they just --- go off!

What a problem.

I'm thinking of starting a thread on this age issue. The gun problem DOES seem to divide into three ages of gun nuts --- the young males who do violent video games and decide to compete with other shooters by killing a lot of people and then suiciding; then the middle aged men who charge into their workplaces blazing away because they got fired or insulted or something felt wrong to them about where they worked; and finally the hard-arteries old guys we are starting to see so many of! They're okay for years and years, maybe their whole lives, and suddenly in their 60s and up, they just --- go off!
What a problem.
Thank you for offering another mindless, ignorant and bigoted opinion.

Very unwittingly, you have quite aptly demosntrated why more people have been buying more guns.
You are agreeing that the huge crowds at gun shows -- and this is really happening, there has been media coverage of it, too -- is psychos wanting to get guns before they have to "show they are stable,"
No.
It is in anticipation of people like the person I responded to, and you, who offer nothing but mindless, ignorant and bigoted opinions on the issue, actually getting your way and enacting meaningless, needless, ineffective and unconstitutional restructions on the right to arms.

This is the answer to your question, BTW.

No, mine is the correct answer. It just so happens that the ones rushing to gun shows are right wingers though. Of course I didn't mean anything accusatory in my theory.

No.
This is the answer to your question, BTW.
No, mine is the correct answer.
Given the fact that no one has proposed legislation or regulation that would require a potentioal gun buyer to "show that thery are stable" before they buy a gun, your premise cannot be sound - which means that your answer is not correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the people at the gun show I went to last Saturday were a lot younger than I.
Some looked like they could find pants that fit or a belt to keep them up but not crazy people acted out. I even got my wife an early Valentine's Day present - a shiny new gun that she has been talking about for the last couple of weeks. My brother got a shotgun and I got ... nothing. They just didn't have much in the way of the kinds of guns that I wanted. Oh well, there is another show next week.

A relative of mine has gone to two gun shows recently and both were so crowded that people were lined up 15 and 20 people outside the door, couldn't even get inside! And once inside, after waiting for doors to open again after enough left so the building wasn't over capacity, they had to inch around in a claustrophobic space with people standing shoulder to shoulder, hardly able to move. In both cases he went with men who bought guns there.

Why the huge, panicked demand? I can remember when a householder might have a revolver in his sock drawer, or a 22 by the back door, but people didn't have the huge gun collections they have now, and there weren't these crowds in gun shows so thick nobody can walk around.

Why the big crowds, huge collections, and what does it mean for gun control legislation passing?

Seriously? Have you listened to the rhetoric coming out of the government lately? The irony is that it's the "Liberals," the ones doing the push for more gun control, who are the cause of the uptick in gun purchases, particularly "assault" weapons.

The last gun I bought was my 1911 A1 Remington Rand. fully accurized. Paid close to 3 grand for it.
That was 7? years ago?

A relative of mine has gone to two gun shows recently and both were so crowded that people were lined up 15 and 20 people outside the door, couldn't even get inside! And once inside, after waiting for doors to open again after enough left so the building wasn't over capacity, they had to inch around in a claustrophobic space with people standing shoulder to shoulder, hardly able to move. In both cases he went with men who bought guns there.

Why the huge, panicked demand? I can remember when a householder might have a revolver in his sock drawer, or a 22 by the back door, but people didn't have the huge gun collections they have now, and there weren't these crowds in gun shows so thick nobody can walk around.

Why the big crowds, huge collections, and what does it mean for gun control legislation passing?

Seriously? Have you listened to the rhetoric coming out of the government lately? The irony is that it's the "Liberals," the ones doing the push for more gun control, who are the cause of the uptick in gun purchases, particularly "assault" weapons.

You mean the rhetoric being amplified by the media?
the media knows that fear sells.

A lot of people who have never owned a gun are buying them now. I just attended a course with my wife a couple of weeks back and there were people there who had never handled a gun before. Now they are buying them and I am sure that most of the guns will end up in a closet or sock drawer and never fired. After we picked up our guns at the show we stopped on the way home at the range and fired them. I wouldn't want one that I didn't or couldn't shoot.

One must -seriously- wonder about someone who honestly doesn't understand why more and more people are now going to gun shows.

When the actions of two mentally ill criminals can start a push for a national gun ban of a type of weapon legally owned by almost 10,000,000 law abiding citizens...is it any wonder the other 150 million plus gun owners get a little nervous?

Most of the people at the gun show I went to last Saturday were a lot younger than I.
Some looked like they could find pants that fit or a belt to keep them up but not crazy people acted out. I even got my wife an early Valentine's Day present - a shiny new gun that she has been talking about for the last couple of weeks. My brother got a shotgun and I got ... nothing. They just didn't have much in the way of the kinds of guns that I wanted. Oh well, there is another show next week.

Was your show very crowded like the two I described in Maryland?

You mean the rhetoric being amplified by the media?
the media knows that fear sells.

The MSM and the Democratic Party are pretty much one in the same.

Lots of psychos wanting to get their guns before they're required to show that they are stable?
They're not psychos, they're concerned that something's wrong when Congress goes after Amendment 2 to decimate American civil liberties of self-defense against an aggressive, armed criminal community that has no compunctions about breaking into other people's homes and killing for stolen goods if they have to with a little rape thrown in for the more egregious of the idiots in the armed robbery and cat burglar in the hot houses category. (a hot house is thief slang for a home with occupants known to be inside when burgling is initiated)

Ok, that's your opinion. Mine differs slightly.
Yes, I'm old school. I grew up in a household filled with love for our men as protectors and providers. That seems real old school now with laws that discourage alpha male dominance in the home. In my book, it's sad that men and women now view each other as little more than "fuck buddies." It doesn't seem sad for those engaged in that type of an existence however, but the consequence is the loss of family, fidelity, and the idea that some things are "for keeps." The generation will see the sorrow of indigeneous war, with that kind of weakness built into the fiber of life. Not to worry, though. Your conquerors' plan on a whole lot of people's butts facing west. :rolleyes:

The more the news outlets report sensationalizm rather than news, report constant violence americans are going to be more inclined to buy guns. There are those that have handled guns all their lives, they are NOT the problem. The problem is people that never had a gun in their hand running out and buying them believing it will make them safe.
Americans are being indoctrinated that if you dont own a gun your not an american.
Im a gun owner and ive owned guns and handled guns since I was a teenager. I had to qualify with guns every 6 months for the 25 yrs I was in law enforcement. Im all for gun ownership and Im against bans. Im also against every idiot running around with an assault rifle that never fired it and doesnt even know how to load it or break it down to clean it and doesnt even try to learn how.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Universal Background Checks and theres nothing wrong as far as im concerned with a waiting period as a cooloff.
Some people may have had their life threatened and can't wait for a "cooling off" period.

Was your show very crowded like the two I described in Maryland?

I heard others talking about how this was the busiest show they had seen but I am new to this part of the world so I don't know. It was busy - there was a line that took about a half hour to get into the show so it was a bit busier than the shows where I used to live. People are always polite though and there was a lot of "excuse me" used or "pardon me". No one I saw was upset or frustrated - it was like a day at the mall just before Christmas but without the rude people.

Some people may have had their life threatened and can't wait for a "cooling off" period.

And some people may have threatened someone's life, their wife, for instance, and don't want to wait till they cool off.

Forum List

Back