CDZ Why are American movies getting worse?

Ask yourself, especially after the Aurora theater shooting, when was the last time you went to a MOVIE? And we can download movies now in the privacy of our homes.

Last time I went to the movie? Last week to see Wonder Woman.

We generally go once or twice a month.

Why would the Aurora theater shooting have anything to do with it? Would you stop going to the supermarket because there was a shooting at a supermarket somewhere in America?

Because I have been in that theater were the shootings occurred, and I live near the theater as well. That's why.

Hollywood has no ideas anymore. All they can do is remake old movies (and badly too) or just keep doing sequels.

Hey you are entitled to your opinion but I think you are wrong.

There are both small films that are fantastic - like "Hell and High Water" and big films that are fantastic- like "Private Ryan"- and Dunkirk looks like it has great potential.

And "Fury" might not have been every persons cup of tea, but it is a great tank movie.

Hollywood does like to make money though- being good capitalists- and the least risky way to make money with movies are either sequels- or movies of the same kind (Captain America/Avengers).

And by the way- I think Captain America(1st and 2nd) are great movies.

You are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong.
You didn't like "Saving Private Ryan"? Interesting.

Saving Private Ryan is not a recent movie.

Hollywood has no ideas anymore. All they can do is remake old movies (and badly too) or just keep doing sequels.

There are both small films that are fantastic - like "Hell and High Water" and big films that are fantastic- like "Private Ryan"- and Dunkirk looks like it has great potential.

And "Fury" might not have been every persons cup of tea, but it is a great tank movie.

Hollywood does like to make money though- being good capitalists- and the least risky way to make money with movies are either sequels- or movies of the same kind (Captain America/Avengers).

Sorry, I didn't know you were so young. It's recent to me. ;)

1998 Dude, that's 19 years ago. I agree, one of the best.

1998 Dude, that's 19 years ago. I agree, one of the best.
Seems like it was just yesterday, but then I'm obviously older than you. :)

We have all these 'Media Studies' and 'Film Schools' now, and the movies are crap. The old 'studio system' wasn't anything to admire, but they could afford better writers and directors for even their programmers and 'B' movies in their factory line system.

As for 'remakes', not all of them are bad; 'The Maltese Falcon' was made three times before the Bogart version came along and became a 'classic', as one example. All of Bogart's movies were just 'B' movies, cheap low budget knockouts, and so were many of the other 'great classics'. there is no outlet for cheap movies any more; in the 'old days' there were a lot of 'second run houses' that were profitable, now the only ones viable are the hyper-expensive special effects theaters.

no small part of it was theater chains screwing over their customers, putting in tiny uncomfortable seats and gross over-charging for everything. Nothing all that great came from busting up the studios and separating them from their theater chains; in fact that managed to reduce competition, not increase it.

Here is a look at the current disaster of a movie summer...the only bright spot is Wonder Woman....

Hollywood Fail: Failing Franchises, Dirty Comedies Kill The 2017 Box Office

hings are bad at the summer box office, so bad in fact that the revenue collapse is now dragging down the entire year. Despite a series of mega-titles that include the words Alien, Pirates, and Transformers, the Hollywood Reporter informs us that compared to last year, the summer box office is now down -8% over last. When summer began, the overall box office was +6% ahead of last year. That gain is now completely wiped out.

This, despite the fact ticket prices jumped up by 19 cents compared to last year. This, despite the fact that many of these titles are artificially boosted by the premium pricing for IMAX and 3D.

When looking at these numbers, context is important. Although revenues have increased marginally over the last 5 or so years, when you adjust for inflation, since 2009, revenues have actually gone backwards. Eight years ago, Hollywood sold $12.272 billion in tickets (adjusted for inflation). Since then, although the average admission price has jumped from $7.50 to $8.65 (not adjusted for inflation), no year has even reached $12 billion.

The real bad news becomes even starker when you look at the number of customers the movies now attract, or fail to attract. In 2009, 1.419 billion tickets were sold in North America. That number has decreased over the last eight years to just 1.3 billion. Meanwhile, the American population increased by 15 million.
Look at who wins at the Golden Globes.
Those who make the movies don't like the movies we the people demand. Soon as they make their money off of their blockbusters they go off tangent and make crap that doesn't sell, because it is the crap they themselves like.

I decided I could not be a full time employee, a couch potato, and a full time gamer at the same time. Something had to give. I gave up watching tv and movies so I could spend more time playing Fallen Earth and other games.

I don't watch much TV or rent any movies; nothing worth the effort to keep up with, except for a few shows, and I tire of them after a season or two. I'm watching the Great British Baking Show fairly regularly, and I liked Doc Martin, too, but I miss half the episodes in spite of liking them; too much to do outside around here.

Because these Hollywood chumps are trying too hard to appeal to the worst taste and the lowest common denominator. Smoking, use of gun an violence, then inserting weird leftist slants against guns or smoking, and then they tack on the gay agenda stuff, it's getting so trite and boring. I can watch a movie movie in the privacy in my own home, and they are usually old cinema gems and not the crap they pump out now about gays ,giant robots or weirdos committing crimes.

Ask yourself, especially after the Aurora theater shooting, when was the last time you went to a MOVIE? And we can download movies now in the privacy of our homes.

Last time I went to the movie? Last week to see Wonder Woman.

We generally go once or twice a month.

Why would the Aurora theater shooting have anything to do with it? Would you stop going to the supermarket because there was a shooting at a supermarket somewhere in America?

Because I have been in that theater were the shootings occurred, and I live near the theater as well. That's why.

My apologies- I think your reaction is reasonable considering the proximity. My best wishes to your community.

The quality, indeed very nature, of movies would shift if people stopped buying tickets to see them.

But they won't.

Just onemore side-effect of the liberal dumbing-down of our schools.

Here is a look at the current disaster of a movie summer...the only bright spot is Wonder Woman....

hings are bad at the summer box office, so bad in fact that the revenue collapse is now dragging down the entire year. Despite a series of mega-titles that include the words Alien, Pirates, and Transformers, the Hollywood Reporter informs us that compared to last year, the summer box office is now down -8% over last. When summer began, the overall box office was +6% ahead of last year. That gain is now completely wiped out.

This, despite the fact ticket prices jumped up by 19 cents compared to last year. This, despite the fact that many of these titles are artificially boosted by the premium pricing for IMAX and 3D.

When looking at these numbers, context is important. Although revenues have increased marginally over the last 5 or so years, when you adjust for inflation, since 2009, revenues have actually gone backwards. Eight years ago, Hollywood sold $12.272 billion in tickets (adjusted for inflation). Since then, although the average admission price has jumped from $7.50 to $8.65 (not adjusted for inflation), no year has even reached $12 billion.

The real bad news becomes even starker when you look at the number of customers the movies now attract, or fail to attract. In 2009, 1.419 billion tickets were sold in North America. That number has decreased over the last eight years to just 1.3 billion. Meanwhile, the American population increased by 15 million.
Liberal Hollywood.

Last three movies I saw in a theater were Amadaeus, The Unforgiven, and a Dracula remake. The seats were crappy, the cost too much for what they were, and the audience was annoying.

Hollywood makes movies for kids now, the dumbasses being cranked out by the modern 'education system'(snicker), and have little or no literary or artistic taste of any kind. These are the same generations making them now as well, so there should be no mystery as to why movies are they way they are now.

Some of the movies made for young children are pretty good, but almost nothing for adults except an occasional 'art film' every few years that manages to get promoted enough to become known and reviewed. Most end up on TV anyway, so why go a theater any more?
Good movie choices, did not see the Dracula movie, was it any good?

I am not a huge effects junky which is what a lot of blockbuster movies are now. Also, there is some really good content on TV and streaming. The other part of it is the quality of the theaters. We used to have some amazing local owned 1-3 screen local theaters. Huge screens and you never had to hear a peep from outside. These new 10+ screen theaters are not as impressive and you can often hear the movie and or the audience reactions on either side of your movie. Kind of ruins it.

Lack of creativity (laziness) - plus the trend is toward straight to cable movies. Netflix etc. is king now. Going to the movies is now something you do with the kids so you don't have to deal with them.....

Meh. I don't think they are getting worse by any means. The Avengers series has been pretty damn good IMHO. Many of the best movies have come out in recent years.

What is killing the theaters is that there is no reason to go to them anymore. I have a far superior setup to the theaters in my house and it does not cost me over a hundred bucks to watch a good movie with some good food.

I have little interest in superhero movies, or summer blockbusters, which is all the theatres are showing these days. The last movie I went to the theatre to see was the last Jurassic Park movie, which I saw with my grandkids.

The exception might be the new Planet of the Apes, which is getting great reviews.

Sex, violence, and special effects. That's what most people want to see so that's what Hollywood gives them. With a nod towards the occasional well made movie with a good story and the kiddies movies to get 'em out of the house for a couple of hours.

Forum List

Back