CDZ Why are American movies getting worse?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by 2aguy, Jul 4, 2017.

1. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,405
    Here is a look at the current disaster of a movie summer...the only bright spot is Wonder Woman....

Hollywood Fail: Failing Franchises, Dirty Comedies Kill The 2017 Box Office

hings are bad at the summer box office, so bad in fact that the revenue collapse is now dragging down the entire year. Despite a series of mega-titles that include the words Alien, Pirates, and Transformers, the Hollywood Reporter informs us that compared to last year, the summer box office is now down -8% over last. When summer began, the overall box office was +6% ahead of last year. That gain is now completely wiped out.

This, despite the fact ticket prices jumped up by 19 cents compared to last year. This, despite the fact that many of these titles are artificially boosted by the premium pricing for IMAX and 3D.

When looking at these numbers, context is important. Although revenues have increased marginally over the last 5 or so years, when you adjust for inflation, since 2009, revenues have actually gone backwards. Eight years ago, Hollywood sold $12.272 billion in tickets (adjusted for inflation). Since then, although the average admission price has jumped from $7.50 to $8.65 (not adjusted for inflation), no year has even reached $12 billion.

The real bad news becomes even starker when you look at the number of customers the movies now attract, or fail to attract. In 2009, 1.419 billion tickets were sold in North America. That number has decreased over the last eight years to just 1.3 billion. Meanwhile, the American population increased by 15 million.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Uncle Ferd says the film industry...

... is goin' through the same thing the music industry...

... has been goin' through...

... with all the gangsta rap crap.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,509
    Too many retreads, too many preachy films. Bad writing. Crappy actors.

Too much reliance on CGI to cover all the previous mentioned.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,491
    Meh. I don't think they are getting worse by any means. The Avengers series has been pretty damn good IMHO. Many of the best movies have come out in recent years.

What is killing the theaters is that there is no reason to go to them anymore. I have a far superior setup to the theaters in my house and it does not cost me over a hundred bucks to watch a good movie with some good food.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheGreatGatsby

TheGreatGatsby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,663
    Most movies are so godawful. I'm rarely even tempted to get one for a buck fifty from the Redbox.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dan Stubbs

Dan Stubbs forget....Hell Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +985
    They just are sitting to close to the Bong on the left Coast and watching old flicks fromthe 40s and 60s and don't have a clue on anything. The goal is "Lets remake something" and rename it something? Pass the Bong will you>. Lets call Pixar and see if they have anything new for the little rug rats.

7. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    Will Smith and Tom Cruise usually come out with a summer hit.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,509
    Tom's came out. It flopped.

9. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,830
    Its what people want. No, it not because of gansta rap. No one is going to make a movie unless they think it will turn a profit.

A while back, I read the list of most popular TV shows. The first was that fake wrestling show, second was one of the Bruce Willis BeatTheCrapOutOfEverybody movies.There wasn't one thing on the list that we watch or want to watch.

Look at what's popular on TV premium networks now - Walking Dead - one trick pony and they've been struggling to find a new plot twist for several seasons. Game of Thrones. Used to be popular because of the sex. Maybe it still is but we got bored.

Movies are crap, TV is crap because that's what people want to watch.

I wish we could get Netflix, Sling, or the others but we can't.

10. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,830
    What's with the bad flix made by Will Smith? I'm not crazy about Cruise but his are bad too.

And how many Jason Bournes can what's his name do before some important part of his body just falls off?

Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the one about the mutants, Teenage Mutant Turtles - What are the grownups supposed to watch?

Sorry, but this is sore spot with me. Every so often, they put out a good movie and then its years more of trash.

• Agree Agree x 1