CDZ Why are American movies getting worse?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Here is a look at the current disaster of a movie summer...the only bright spot is Wonder Woman....

Hollywood Fail: Failing Franchises, Dirty Comedies Kill The 2017 Box Office

hings are bad at the summer box office, so bad in fact that the revenue collapse is now dragging down the entire year. Despite a series of mega-titles that include the words Alien, Pirates, and Transformers, the Hollywood Reporter informs us that compared to last year, the summer box office is now down -8% over last. When summer began, the overall box office was +6% ahead of last year. That gain is now completely wiped out.

This, despite the fact ticket prices jumped up by 19 cents compared to last year. This, despite the fact that many of these titles are artificially boosted by the premium pricing for IMAX and 3D.

When looking at these numbers, context is important. Although revenues have increased marginally over the last 5 or so years, when you adjust for inflation, since 2009, revenues have actually gone backwards. Eight years ago, Hollywood sold $12.272 billion in tickets (adjusted for inflation). Since then, although the average admission price has jumped from $7.50 to $8.65 (not adjusted for inflation), no year has even reached $12 billion.

The real bad news becomes even starker when you look at the number of customers the movies now attract, or fail to attract. In 2009, 1.419 billion tickets were sold in North America. That number has decreased over the last eight years to just 1.3 billion. Meanwhile, the American population increased by 15 million.

Meh. I don't think they are getting worse by any means. The Avengers series has been pretty damn good IMHO. Many of the best movies have come out in recent years.

What is killing the theaters is that there is no reason to go to them anymore. I have a far superior setup to the theaters in my house and it does not cost me over a hundred bucks to watch a good movie with some good food.

Here is a look at the current disaster of a movie summer...the only bright spot is Wonder Woman....

hings are bad at the summer box office, so bad in fact that the revenue collapse is now dragging down the entire year. Despite a series of mega-titles that include the words Alien, Pirates, and Transformers, the Hollywood Reporter informs us that compared to last year, the summer box office is now down -8% over last. When summer began, the overall box office was +6% ahead of last year. That gain is now completely wiped out.

This, despite the fact ticket prices jumped up by 19 cents compared to last year. This, despite the fact that many of these titles are artificially boosted by the premium pricing for IMAX and 3D.

When looking at these numbers, context is important. Although revenues have increased marginally over the last 5 or so years, when you adjust for inflation, since 2009, revenues have actually gone backwards. Eight years ago, Hollywood sold $12.272 billion in tickets (adjusted for inflation). Since then, although the average admission price has jumped from $7.50 to $8.65 (not adjusted for inflation), no year has even reached $12 billion.

The real bad news becomes even starker when you look at the number of customers the movies now attract, or fail to attract. In 2009, 1.419 billion tickets were sold in North America. That number has decreased over the last eight years to just 1.3 billion. Meanwhile, the American population increased by 15 million.
They just are sitting to close to the Bong on the left Coast and watching old flicks fromthe 40s and 60s and don't have a clue on anything. The goal is "Lets remake something" and rename it something? Pass the Bong will you>. Lets call Pixar and see if they have anything new for the little rug rats.

Will Smith and Tom Cruise usually come out with a summer hit.

Tom's came out. It flopped.

Its what people want. No, it not because of gansta rap. No one is going to make a movie unless they think it will turn a profit.

A while back, I read the list of most popular TV shows. The first was that fake wrestling show, second was one of the Bruce Willis BeatTheCrapOutOfEverybody movies.There wasn't one thing on the list that we watch or want to watch.

Look at what's popular on TV premium networks now - Walking Dead - one trick pony and they've been struggling to find a new plot twist for several seasons. Game of Thrones. Used to be popular because of the sex. Maybe it still is but we got bored.

Movies are crap, TV is crap because that's what people want to watch.

I wish we could get Netflix, Sling, or the others but we can't.

What's with the bad flix made by Will Smith? I'm not crazy about Cruise but his are bad too.

And how many Jason Bournes can what's his name do before some important part of his body just falls off?

Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the one about the mutants, Teenage Mutant Turtles - What are the grownups supposed to watch?

Sorry, but this is sore spot with me. Every so often, they put out a good movie and then its years more of trash.

1. Competition from being able to watch movies at home.

2. Growing gap between Hollywood and Middle America.

Meh. I don't think they are getting worse by any means. The Avengers series has been pretty damn good IMHO. Many of the best movies have come out in recent years.

What is killing the theaters is that there is no reason to go to them anymore. I have a far superior setup to the theaters in my house and it does not cost me over a hundred bucks to watch a good movie with some good food.
Agreed with your comments and add that I also don't have to put up with some dumbass kicking my seat or talking to each other.

I can count on one hand the number of movies I've seen at the theater the last 10 years. Gravity, Avatar, Star Wars Revenge of the Sith and Up. Everything else I wait to come out on Netflix DVD.

/----- I will go see Star Trek, 007, Mission Impossible and a well done military movie but not much else.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

With better t.v.s the need to see films at theaters goes away. Every once in a while for a big ticket movie am disappointed to get out of the house...but a lot of the stupid things the actors say keep me from seeing their movies...I wait for cable...

Last decent film we saw was "The VVitch", which is based upon 16th Century beliefs in Puritan New England about witches and witchcraft, and was extremely authentic in terms of environment and language. Good creep factor.

Tom's came out. It flopped.
No kidding. The Mummy sucked ass. The OP lists Wonder Woman as the exception. That means it really sucks because Wonder Woman was pretty pathetic IMO.

What's with the bad flix made by Will Smith? I'm not crazy about Cruise but his are bad too.

And how many Jason Bournes can what's his name do before some important part of his body just falls off?

Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the one about the mutants, Teenage Mutant Turtles - What are the grownups supposed to watch?

Sorry, but this is sore spot with me. Every so often, they put out a good movie and then its years more of trash.

What do you consider to be a 'good movie'?

One of my favorites from last year not many people saw- small film- Hell or High Water- deserved more of an audience.

But I also loved Wonder Woman- if you like the genre its a great ride.

Agreed with your comments and add that I also don't have to put up with some dumbass kicking my seat or talking to each other.

I can count on one hand the number of movies I've seen at the theater the last 10 years. Gravity, Avatar, Star Wars Revenge of the Sith and Up. Everything else I wait to come out on Netflix DVD.
Yep. There may be a handful of franchises I'll go to the theater to see. Star Trek, anything Tolkien, Star Wars (that will end if they don't get away from that fucking death star plot, and maybe a good Marvel.

With better t.v.s the need to see films at theaters goes away. Every once in a while for a big ticket movie am disappointed to get out of the house...but a lot of the stupid things the actors say keep me from seeing their movies...I wait for cable...
To a very large extent, all entertainers are flakes whether they are playing dress-up in the movies/on stage or strumming a guitar. The fact I think they are flakes and that I'd never want ot associate with them doesn't stop me from seeing a good movie or enjoying a nice song.

Example: Sean Penn in a mediocre shoot'em up movie "The Gunman". I watched it on Netflix DVD. It was entertaining, but average. What was funnier was the hypocrisy of the uber-liberal Penn whoring himself to make a Hollywood action movie.

What do you consider to be a 'good movie'?

One of my favorites from last year not many people saw- small film- Hell or High Water- deserved more of an audience.

But I also loved Wonder Woman- if you like the genre its a great ride.
I thought they relied upon the poor CGI to cover the weak and inept acting of Chris Pine as well as moving the storyline forward. I usually watch a movie to be entertained and I don't over analyze, but really, it could have been much better. That same thing for Fantastic Beasts. I thought it sucked.

Forum List

Back