CDZ Why are American movies getting worse?

What's with the bad flix made by Will Smith? I'm not crazy about Cruise but his are bad too.

And how many Jason Bournes can what's his name do before some important part of his body just falls off?

Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the one about the mutants, Teenage Mutant Turtles - What are the grownups supposed to watch?

Sorry, but this is sore spot with me. Every so often, they put out a good movie and then its years more of trash.

What do you consider to be a 'good movie'?

One of my favorites from last year not many people saw- small film- Hell or High Water- deserved more of an audience.

But I also loved Wonder Woman- if you like the genre its a great ride.
I thought they relied upon the poor CGI to cover the weak and inept acting of Chris Pine as well as moving the storyline forward. I usually watch a movie to be entertained and I don't over analyze, but really, it could have been much better. That same thing for Fantastic Beasts. I thought it sucked.

I loved both movies. I thought Chris Pine was fine- but if you want to see Chris Pine really act- see Hell or High Water.

What movies do you consider to be good- in the action adventure genre?
Usually. I'm kind of a SF&F buff so anything in that genre. However, a good drama with an intricate plot will hold My attention.

I'm pretty big on the whole Temporal Paradox thing too. The Time Travelers Wife was a good one. About Time had a really interesting way of covering time travel and it helped that Rachel McAdams was in it. :muahaha:
Really? I HATE time travel. I love sci-fi but damn near every single show or movie that has time travel in it is filled with such nonsensical logic as to ruin the entire show for me. I like a world that has a real backstory that the characters can develop in - not one where they simply get a 'do-over' any time that they want a change.

One of the things that has always annoyed me with some of the comic book movies - how many different spider men are we going to have to sit through before they stick with a story line.
Until they milk all of the money out of it. Movies, like "the media", are a business. It's about making money. No one is going to invest $100M into something that "just sends a message". The flake actors may say that shit, but the producers and investors are there for the bottom line in sales.

New bond as good as it's ever been (not saying much but still)

Birdman was good

Mad Max fury road as good as the originals

Creed was pretty good considering what it was

Zootopia was the first disney movie i've seen in many years, excellent

People love boyhood, a little sappy for me

Nightcrawler was good

IDK seems to me it's pretty consistent as far as movies I would put in my personal collection
Agreed except for Birdman. Too many "WTF?" moments for me. :)

I'd be surprised if many people born after the 1970s know what this is:
View attachment 137183

images

This one I know, I've been to a drive in a few times. Although they were newer versions of the same thing

I assume the other thing was a billboard for movie posters judging by it's size, but I've literally never seen one up.
If you are writing about the picture below, that's the metal framework of the drive-in movie screen. Judging by the size of the trees, it's been 30-40 years since any movies have been projected against it.

Who calls movies "cinema" ? :p

drive-in-movie-jpg.137183

Here is a look at the current disaster of a movie summer...the only bright spot is Wonder Woman....

Hollywood Fail: Failing Franchises, Dirty Comedies Kill The 2017 Box Office

hings are bad at the summer box office, so bad in fact that the revenue collapse is now dragging down the entire year. Despite a series of mega-titles that include the words Alien, Pirates, and Transformers, the Hollywood Reporter informs us that compared to last year, the summer box office is now down -8% over last. When summer began, the overall box office was +6% ahead of last year. That gain is now completely wiped out.

This, despite the fact ticket prices jumped up by 19 cents compared to last year. This, despite the fact that many of these titles are artificially boosted by the premium pricing for IMAX and 3D.

When looking at these numbers, context is important. Although revenues have increased marginally over the last 5 or so years, when you adjust for inflation, since 2009, revenues have actually gone backwards. Eight years ago, Hollywood sold $12.272 billion in tickets (adjusted for inflation). Since then, although the average admission price has jumped from $7.50 to $8.65 (not adjusted for inflation), no year has even reached $12 billion.

The real bad news becomes even starker when you look at the number of customers the movies now attract, or fail to attract. In 2009, 1.419 billion tickets were sold in North America. That number has decreased over the last eight years to just 1.3 billion. Meanwhile, the American population increased by 15 million.

I think there are a several things at play.

-In the golden age of movies folks were happy to pay to go sit in the air conditioning!

-Bigger companies don't make better products.

-Fewer THEATER MOVIE companies don't give you more variety.

-I don't really have to go to the movies to get immersed in a show now. My obsolete HDish 720 TV is like 60 inches across!

-Weekly shows have GREAT special effects now. The first was Captain Picard's Star Trek of the late 80's. Since then the tech has trickled down to all million cable and web networks.

I hope movie theaters stay around as I like the experience. Even with the kids is something I only do a couple times a year though.

Ask yourself, especially after the Aurora theater shooting, when was the last time you went to a MOVIE? And we can download movies now in the privacy of our homes.

What do you consider to be a 'good movie'?

One of my favorites from last year not many people saw- small film- Hell or High Water- deserved more of an audience.

But I also loved Wonder Woman- if you like the genre its a great ride.
I thought they relied upon the poor CGI to cover the weak and inept acting of Chris Pine as well as moving the storyline forward. I usually watch a movie to be entertained and I don't over analyze, but really, it could have been much better. That same thing for Fantastic Beasts. I thought it sucked.

I loved both movies. I thought Chris Pine was fine- but if you want to see Chris Pine really act- see Hell or High Water.

Usually. I'm kind of a SF&F buff so anything in that genre. However, a good drama with an intricate plot will hold My attention.

I'm pretty big on the whole Temporal Paradox thing too. The Time Travelers Wife was a good one. About Time had a really interesting way of covering time travel and it helped that Rachel McAdams was in it. :muahaha:
Really? I HATE time travel. I love sci-fi but damn near every single show or movie that has time travel in it is filled with such nonsensical logic as to ruin the entire show for me. I like a world that has a real backstory that the characters can develop in - not one where they simply get a 'do-over' any time that they want a change.

One of the things that has always annoyed me with some of the comic book movies - how many different spider men are we going to have to sit through before they stick with a story line.
I agree with the spiderman thing, but if a time travel movies is done well you'll get a decent 'I didn't see that coming' moment.
What time travel movies have you liked?

I will give Project Almanac some props, they did alright in that one but there were still some serious holes in it.

I agree with the spiderman thing, but if a time travel movies is done well you'll get a decent 'I didn't see that coming' moment.

I will give Project Almanac some props, they did alright in that one but there were still some serious holes in it.
Somewhere in Time was not bad. Not the best of them.
Source Code was decent.
Predestination had a really good twist to it.
Edge of Tomorrow was pretty good
Time Traveler's Wife I thought was excellent
The Lake House was exceptional
About Time was something of a romantic movie but had a very interesting premise

There are a bunch of movies that occur in the past but don't really deal specifically with the paradox of time travel. They're good, but not what I consider a time movie.

Somewhere in Time was not bad. Not the best of them.
Source Code was decent.
Predestination had a really good twist to it.
Edge of Tomorrow was pretty good
Time Traveler's Wife I thought was excellent
The Lake House was exceptional
About Time was something of a romantic movie but had a very interesting premise

There are a bunch of movies that occur in the past but don't really deal specifically with the paradox of time travel. They're good, but not what I consider a time movie.

Edge of Tomorrow is a good movie- it was very poorly marketed.
I liked Looper also.
A twist on the whole time traveler genre was an oddball Nicholas Cage movie(shocking)- Next- really a good time travel movie even though there is no time travel. Check it out.

Ask yourself, especially after the Aurora theater shooting, when was the last time you went to a MOVIE? And we can download movies now in the privacy of our homes.

Last time I went to the movie? Last week to see Wonder Woman.

We generally go once or twice a month.

Why would the Aurora theater shooting have anything to do with it? Would you stop going to the supermarket because there was a shooting at a supermarket somewhere in America?

. The last movie I saw was a major disappointment (No country for old men).

That was a real disappointment from the Coen Bros. I like most of their movies, Fargo, Oh Brother, Ladykillers, etc., but that one made me think they were kidnapped and replaced by Reptilian Shapeshifters from another planet or something.
"No Country for Old Men" was good, but like "Miller's Crossing" and "Blood Simple", was brutal and dark. Fargo, Oh Brother, Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, etc had dark moments, but were all funny.

The Films of The Coen Brothers, Ranked From Worst to Best | IndieWire

Back to the Future, Terminator and 12 Monkeys.

Hollywood has no ideas anymore. All they can do is remake old movies (and badly too) or just keep doing sequels.

Hey you are entitled to your opinion but I think you are wrong.

There are both small films that are fantastic - like "Hell and High Water" and big films that are fantastic- like "Private Ryan"- and Dunkirk looks like it has great potential.

And "Fury" might not have been every persons cup of tea, but it is a great tank movie.

Hollywood does like to make money though- being good capitalists- and the least risky way to make money with movies are either sequels- or movies of the same kind (Captain America/Avengers).

And by the way- I think Captain America(1st and 2nd) are great movies.

Back to the Future, Terminator and 12 Monkeys.
Terminator was good and I can't believe I failed to list that one. Terminator Genesis was particularly well done, but that's probably just Me and My thing for Emily Clark.

I'm a big Willis fan, but I didn't really care for the 12 Monkeys movie, but the series so far has been excellent.

Hollywood has no ideas anymore. All they can do is remake old movies (and badly too) or just keep doing sequels.

There are both small films that are fantastic - like "Hell and High Water" and big films that are fantastic- like "Private Ryan"- and Dunkirk looks like it has great potential.

And "Fury" might not have been every persons cup of tea, but it is a great tank movie.

Hollywood does like to make money though- being good capitalists- and the least risky way to make money with movies are either sequels- or movies of the same kind (Captain America/Avengers).

You are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong.

There's the old saw about how there are only seven different stories, but there are lots of movies in the last few years that have been good. While I'll readily agree that most movies either rely too much on CG or action instead of plot and character development or that too many are just quicky cheapies made to cash in on a trend, there are still good movies out there.

There's the old saw about how there are only seven different stories, but there are lots of movies in the last few years that have been good. While I'll readily agree that most movies either rely too much on CG or action instead of plot and character development or that too many are just quicky cheapies made to cash in on a trend, there are still good movies out there.
Unless it is an academic film, or a biography, movies are just story telling. There is one basic forumula for story telling, but that one formula can reap trillions of stories.

That formula is the Hero's journey.

The Hero's Journey Outline

The Hero’s Journey is a pattern of narrative identified by the American scholar Joseph Campbell that appears in drama, storytelling, myth, religious ritual, and psychological development. It describes the typical adventure of the archetype known as The Hero, the person who goes out and achieves great deeds on behalf of the group, tribe, or civilization.

Its stages are:

1. THE ORDINARY WORLD. The hero, uneasy, uncomfortable or unaware, is introduced sympathetically so the audience can identify with the situation or dilemma. The hero is shown against a background of environment, heredity, and personal history. Some kind of polarity in the hero’s life is pulling in different directions and causing stress.

2. THE CALL TO ADVENTURE. Something shakes up the situation, either from external pressures or from something rising up from deep within, so the hero must face the beginnings of change.

3. REFUSAL OF THE CALL. The hero feels the fear of the unknown and tries to turn away from the adventure, however briefly. Alternately, another character may express the uncertainty and danger ahead.

4. MEETING WITH THE MENTOR. The hero comes across a seasoned traveler of the worlds who gives him or her training, equipment, or advice that will help on the journey. Or the hero reaches within to a source of courage and wisdom.

5. CROSSING THE THRESHOLD. At the end of Act One, the hero commits to leaving the Ordinary World and entering a new region or condition with unfamiliar rules and values.

6. TESTS, ALLIES AND ENEMIES. The hero is tested and sorts out allegiances in the Special World.

7. APPROACH. The hero and newfound allies prepare for the major challenge in the Special world.

8. THE ORDEAL. Near the middle of the story, the hero enters a central space in the Special World and confronts death or faces his or her greatest fear. Out of the moment of death comes a new life.

9. THE REWARD. The hero takes possession of the treasure won by facing death. There may be celebration, but there is also danger of losing the treasure again.

10. THE ROAD BACK. About three-fourths of the way through the story, the hero is driven to complete the adventure, leaving the Special World to be sure the treasure is brought home. Often a chase scene signals the urgency and danger of the mission.

11. THE RESURRECTION. At the climax, the hero is severely tested once more on the threshold of home. He or she is purified by a last sacrifice, another moment of death and rebirth, but on a higher and more complete level. By the hero’s action, the polarities that were in conflict at the beginning are finally resolved.

12. RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR. The hero returns home or continues the journey, bearing some element of the treasure that has the power to transform the world as the hero has been transformed.

hero's journey

If you pay close attention, you will find this formula in every movie or book. How it manifests itself is up to the writer and it's how we get the litterally millions of stories in the past, and the millions yet to be written.

Unless it is an academic film, or a biography, movies are just story telling. There is one basic forumula for story telling, but that one formula can reap trillions of stories.

The Hero’s Journey is a pattern of narrative identified by the American scholar Joseph Campbell that appears in drama, storytelling, myth, religious ritual, and psychological development. It describes the typical adventure of the archetype known as The Hero, the person who goes out and achieves great deeds on behalf of the group, tribe, or civilization.

Its stages are:

1. THE ORDINARY WORLD. The hero, uneasy, uncomfortable or unaware, is introduced sympathetically so the audience can identify with the situation or dilemma. The hero is shown against a background of environment, heredity, and personal history. Some kind of polarity in the hero’s life is pulling in different directions and causing stress.

2. THE CALL TO ADVENTURE. Something shakes up the situation, either from external pressures or from something rising up from deep within, so the hero must face the beginnings of change.

3. REFUSAL OF THE CALL. The hero feels the fear of the unknown and tries to turn away from the adventure, however briefly. Alternately, another character may express the uncertainty and danger ahead.

4. MEETING WITH THE MENTOR. The hero comes across a seasoned traveler of the worlds who gives him or her training, equipment, or advice that will help on the journey. Or the hero reaches within to a source of courage and wisdom.

5. CROSSING THE THRESHOLD. At the end of Act One, the hero commits to leaving the Ordinary World and entering a new region or condition with unfamiliar rules and values.

6. TESTS, ALLIES AND ENEMIES. The hero is tested and sorts out allegiances in the Special World.

7. APPROACH. The hero and newfound allies prepare for the major challenge in the Special world.

8. THE ORDEAL. Near the middle of the story, the hero enters a central space in the Special World and confronts death or faces his or her greatest fear. Out of the moment of death comes a new life.

9. THE REWARD. The hero takes possession of the treasure won by facing death. There may be celebration, but there is also danger of losing the treasure again.

10. THE ROAD BACK. About three-fourths of the way through the story, the hero is driven to complete the adventure, leaving the Special World to be sure the treasure is brought home. Often a chase scene signals the urgency and danger of the mission.

11. THE RESURRECTION. At the climax, the hero is severely tested once more on the threshold of home. He or she is purified by a last sacrifice, another moment of death and rebirth, but on a higher and more complete level. By the hero’s action, the polarities that were in conflict at the beginning are finally resolved.

12. RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR. The hero returns home or continues the journey, bearing some element of the treasure that has the power to transform the world as the hero has been transformed.

hero's journey

If you pay close attention, you will find this formula in every movie or book. How it manifests itself is up to the writer and it's how we get the litterally millions of stories in the past, and the millions yet to be written.

Correct.

Even simpler:

Boy meets girl.
Girl gets boy into pickle.
Boy gets pickle into girl.

Its stages are:

hero's journey

Correct.

Even simpler:

Boy meets girl.
Girl gets boy into pickle.
Boy gets pickle into girl.
Yeah, something like that. But if girl is Dominmatrix, well, hero needs to overcome fear and love the pickle...haha.

You are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong.
You didn't like "Saving Private Ryan"? Interesting.

Poor writing and the movie industry has gotten to dependent on the movie franchise how many Transformers and Fast and Furious movies have there been? They even do sequels of flops John Wick with Keanu Reeves did nothing to get a sequel yet we got John Wick chapter 2 same with Tom Cruise and Jack Reacher.

Forum List

Back