CDZ Why are American movies getting worse?

I found Hidden Figures to be a very entertaining movie with some historic accuracy thrown in as a means of social commentary. Not something I usually care for in movies, but they didn't go over the top and made no wild accusations. Of course, Kevin Costner plays his role horribly, but that's Costner for you.

What's with the bad flix made by Will Smith? I'm not crazy about Cruise but his are bad too.

And how many Jason Bournes can what's his name do before some important part of his body just falls off?

Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the one about the mutants, Teenage Mutant Turtles - What are the grownups supposed to watch?

Sorry, but this is sore spot with me. Every so often, they put out a good movie and then its years more of trash.

What do you consider to be a 'good movie'?

One of my favorites from last year not many people saw- small film- Hell or High Water- deserved more of an audience.

But I also loved Wonder Woman- if you like the genre its a great ride.
I thought they relied upon the poor CGI to cover the weak and inept acting of Chris Pine as well as moving the storyline forward. I usually watch a movie to be entertained and I don't over analyze, but really, it could have been much better. That same thing for Fantastic Beasts. I thought it sucked.

I loved both movies. I thought Chris Pine was fine- but if you want to see Chris Pine really act- see Hell or High Water.

What movies do you consider to be good- in the action adventure genre?

What's with the bad flix made by Will Smith? I'm not crazy about Cruise but his are bad too.

And how many Jason Bournes can what's his name do before some important part of his body just falls off?

Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the one about the mutants, Teenage Mutant Turtles - What are the grownups supposed to watch?

Sorry, but this is sore spot with me. Every so often, they put out a good movie and then its years more of trash.

One of my favorites from last year not many people saw- small film- Hell or High Water- deserved more of an audience.

I thought they relied upon the poor CGI to cover the weak and inept acting of Chris Pine as well as moving the storyline forward. I usually watch a movie to be entertained and I don't over analyze, but really, it could have been much better. That same thing for Fantastic Beasts. I thought it sucked.

I loved both movies. I thought Chris Pine was fine- but if you want to see Chris Pine really act- see Hell or High Water.

Usually. I'm kind of a SF&F buff so anything in that genre. However, a good drama with an intricate plot will hold My attention.

I'm pretty big on the whole Temporal Paradox thing too. The Time Travelers Wife was a good one. About Time had a really interesting way of covering time travel and it helped that Rachel McAdams was in it. :muahaha:

I like Chris Pine, but Michael Weatherly would have made a better Kirk retread.

I like Chris Pine, but Michael Weatherly would have made a better Kirk retread.
I agree. Pine does well in many things, but in Wonder Woman, I think he booted it. He made a good Jack Ryan though.

Speaking of time travel, have any of you watched the 12 Monkeys series? They do a fantastic job of covering up all the loopholes.

New bond as good as it's ever been (not saying much but still)

Birdman was good

Mad Max fury road as good as the originals

Creed was pretty good considering what it was

Zootopia was the first disney movie i've seen in many years, excellent

People love boyhood, a little sappy for me

Nightcrawler was good

IDK seems to me it's pretty consistent as far as movies I would put in my personal collection

Birdman was good

Nightcrawler was good

IDK seems to me it's pretty consistent as far as movies I would put in my personal collection
Agreed except for Birdman. Too many "WTF?" moments for me. :)

I'd be surprised if many people born after the 1970s know what this is:
drive in movie.jpg

Factual history/period pieces, adventure, science fiction but not science fantasy. Oops, wrote that and remembered that I liked the Alien movies. Recent movie called Life, Jake Gyllanhall, can't think of the others and probably spelled that wrong but - meh. Predictable.

The Martian. I like it but liked the book a lot more. It annoyed me because it was a great movie for kids - except the really needless foul language. What was the point of that? The language meant teachers couldn't show it and I think that's a loss.

Loved The Help but loved the book more.

I'm a sucker for special effects but too often, they discover an effect and then build a gazillion movies around it. The first time is fun but after that, its cheap and chinzy. Special effects - I'll always watch the Jurassic Park movies even though the last one was pretty bad.

I would like the horror genre more if the movies were better. Even so, I'm a movie addict but I'm really a book addict more.

Birdman was good

Nightcrawler was good

View attachment 137183

images

American movies are getting worse because the Golden Age of cinema is dead. It died a few decades ago in the early 60s

American movies today have an agenda ...a liberal agenda of hating tradition hating the family....etc . It sucks!

And also, Hollywood have sold everything to overseas entrepreneurs...mainly Chinese.

Bye bye what is left of Hollyweird!

Here is a look at the current disaster of a movie summer...the only bright spot is Wonder Woman....

Hollywood Fail: Failing Franchises, Dirty Comedies Kill The 2017 Box Office

hings are bad at the summer box office, so bad in fact that the revenue collapse is now dragging down the entire year. Despite a series of mega-titles that include the words Alien, Pirates, and Transformers, the Hollywood Reporter informs us that compared to last year, the summer box office is now down -8% over last. When summer began, the overall box office was +6% ahead of last year. That gain is now completely wiped out.

This, despite the fact ticket prices jumped up by 19 cents compared to last year. This, despite the fact that many of these titles are artificially boosted by the premium pricing for IMAX and 3D.

When looking at these numbers, context is important. Although revenues have increased marginally over the last 5 or so years, when you adjust for inflation, since 2009, revenues have actually gone backwards. Eight years ago, Hollywood sold $12.272 billion in tickets (adjusted for inflation). Since then, although the average admission price has jumped from $7.50 to $8.65 (not adjusted for inflation), no year has even reached $12 billion.

The real bad news becomes even starker when you look at the number of customers the movies now attract, or fail to attract. In 2009, 1.419 billion tickets were sold in North America. That number has decreased over the last eight years to just 1.3 billion. Meanwhile, the American population increased by 15 million.
I haven't been a movie theater since before the Aurora theater shooting. I don't go to movie theaters anymore, people talking either to other patrons or on cell phones. The last movie I saw was a major disappointment (No country for old men).

Birdman was good

Nightcrawler was good

View attachment 137183
lol.

I was born after and have been to the outdoor cinema several times. Went about 10 years ago to when one of the last ones was still holding on for dear life. Surprised me that I ever thought they were good.

The thing I miss is the cartoon short that used to precede any movie - now it is a litany of ads with asinine 'games.'

Usually. I'm kind of a SF&F buff so anything in that genre. However, a good drama with an intricate plot will hold My attention.

I'm pretty big on the whole Temporal Paradox thing too. The Time Travelers Wife was a good one. About Time had a really interesting way of covering time travel and it helped that Rachel McAdams was in it. :muahaha:
Really? I HATE time travel. I love sci-fi but damn near every single show or movie that has time travel in it is filled with such nonsensical logic as to ruin the entire show for me. I like a world that has a real backstory that the characters can develop in - not one where they simply get a 'do-over' any time that they want a change.

One of the things that has always annoyed me with some of the comic book movies - how many different spider men are we going to have to sit through before they stick with a story line.

. The last movie I saw was a major disappointment (No country for old men).

That was a real disappointment from the Coen Bros. I like most of their movies, Fargo, Oh Brother, Ladykillers, etc., but that one made me think they were kidnapped and replaced by Reptilian Shapeshifters from another planet or something.

Last three movies I saw in a theater were Amadaeus, The Unforgiven, and a Dracula remake. The seats were crappy, the cost too much for what they were, and the audience was annoying.

Hollywood makes movies for kids now, the dumbasses being cranked out by the modern 'education system'(snicker), and have little or no literary or artistic taste of any kind. These are the same generations making them now as well, so there should be no mystery as to why movies are they way they are now.

Some of the movies made for young children are pretty good, but almost nothing for adults except an occasional 'art film' every few years that manages to get promoted enough to become known and reviewed. Most end up on TV anyway, so why go a theater any more?

Here is a look at the current disaster of a movie summer...the only bright spot is Wonder Woman....

Hollywood Fail: Failing Franchises, Dirty Comedies Kill The 2017 Box Office

hings are bad at the summer box office, so bad in fact that the revenue collapse is now dragging down the entire year. Despite a series of mega-titles that include the words Alien, Pirates, and Transformers, the Hollywood Reporter informs us that compared to last year, the summer box office is now down -8% over last. When summer began, the overall box office was +6% ahead of last year. That gain is now completely wiped out.

This, despite the fact ticket prices jumped up by 19 cents compared to last year. This, despite the fact that many of these titles are artificially boosted by the premium pricing for IMAX and 3D.

When looking at these numbers, context is important. Although revenues have increased marginally over the last 5 or so years, when you adjust for inflation, since 2009, revenues have actually gone backwards. Eight years ago, Hollywood sold $12.272 billion in tickets (adjusted for inflation). Since then, although the average admission price has jumped from $7.50 to $8.65 (not adjusted for inflation), no year has even reached $12 billion.

The real bad news becomes even starker when you look at the number of customers the movies now attract, or fail to attract. In 2009, 1.419 billion tickets were sold in North America. That number has decreased over the last eight years to just 1.3 billion. Meanwhile, the American population increased by 15 million.

Hollywood movies are getting worse because people keep paying to see them. So, they kick out some more bad movies.

Really? I HATE time travel. I love sci-fi but damn near every single show or movie that has time travel in it is filled with such nonsensical logic as to ruin the entire show for me. I like a world that has a real backstory that the characters can develop in - not one where they simply get a 'do-over' any time that they want a change.

One of the things that has always annoyed me with some of the comic book movies - how many different spider men are we going to have to sit through before they stick with a story line.
I agree with the spiderman thing, but if a time travel movies is done well you'll get a decent 'I didn't see that coming' moment.

American movies are getting worse because the Golden Age of cinema is dead. It died a few decades ago in the early 60s

American movies today have an agenda ...a liberal agenda of hating tradition hating the family....etc . It sucks!

And also, Hollywood have sold everything to overseas entrepreneurs...mainly Chinese.

Bye bye what is left of Hollyweird!

What?

They're in it to make money

WHat are you smoking where you think anyone is investing hundreds of millions of dollars just to crap on "family values". We live in a capitalist society, their motivation is obvious...

Birdman was good

Nightcrawler was good

View attachment 137183

images

This one I know, I've been to a drive in a few times. Although they were newer versions of the same thing

I assume the other thing was a billboard for movie posters judging by it's size, but I've literally never seen one up.

Forum List

Back