CDZ Why All the Fuss Over Interracial Ads?

It's really weird how Old Navy decided to do this

It simultaneously pisses off young white males portraying this white guy presumably as a "cuck" as I'm sure they'd call it for raising a kid who isn't his.

Then black people understandably getting pissed off because for some reason a white guy is raising a black kid who is clearly not his blood. Why wouldn't they have just photo shopped the kids skin to be a few shades lighter? Then no one would be complaining but the actual racists

Very shitty ad, I have to imagine there is a version of it with the kid given lighter skin in PS. Unless this was all just a very clever marketing scheme

I don't understand why you can automatically assume the kid is not his (much less why you think it makes a difference).

My father is about as dark as that woman, maybe a little darker (and brown instead of black)

My mother is white

You don't combine a person who refracts very little light and a person who refracts a lot of light and produce children that refract just as much light as the dark parent. Again photoshop and a few shades could have solved this problem so fast. There is no way those two could copulate and produce a kid that dark, it's a jarring visual

It's the equivalent of putting a little blonde kid on his back...Jarring
Light refraction? You're kidding, right? The children of mixed race parents do not have a skin tone precisely equidistant from the skin tones of their parents. There is a random chance of the child having exactly the same skin tone as one of their parents and there is a random chance of other genes asserting themselves, of an ancestor darker or lighter than either of the parents.

All this is completely besides the point, however. You've constructed this narrative which is entirely in your mind. It is, in reality, a picture of three people who have no connection to one another whatsoever. Three models hired for a photoshoot. Cuckold? That's an... interesting interpretation.

I think black people should only have relationships with black people, to preserve the black race.

I think white people should only have relationships with white people, to preserve the white race.

"Preserve"? :wtf: From what? Or is it "in what"? Amber, Lucite, concrete? Judging from your behavior, I'd say you're already "preserved" in stone.

Don't blink.

It simultaneously pisses off young white males portraying this white guy presumably as a "cuck" as I'm sure they'd call it for raising a kid who isn't his.

Then black people understandably getting pissed off because for some reason a white guy is raising a black kid who is clearly not his blood. Why wouldn't they have just photo shopped the kids skin to be a few shades lighter? Then no one would be complaining but the actual racists

Very shitty ad, I have to imagine there is a version of it with the kid given lighter skin in PS. Unless this was all just a very clever marketing scheme

I don't understand why you can automatically assume the kid is not his (much less why you think it makes a difference).

My father is about as dark as that woman, maybe a little darker (and brown instead of black)

My mother is white

You don't combine a person who refracts very little light and a person who refracts a lot of light and produce children that refract just as much light as the dark parent. Again photoshop and a few shades could have solved this problem so fast. There is no way those two could copulate and produce a kid that dark, it's a jarring visual

Light refraction? You're kidding, right? The children of mixed race parents do not have a skin tone precisely equidistant from the skin tones of their parents. There is a random chance of the child having exactly the same skin tone as one of their parents and there is a random chance of other genes asserting themselves, of an ancestor darker or lighter than either of the parents.

All this is completely besides the point, however. You've constructed this narrative which is entirely in your mind. It is, in reality, a picture of three people who have no connection to one another whatsoever. Three models hired for a photoshoot. Cuckold? That's an... interesting interpretation.

relative to being black like that kid clearly is or white like the average blonde kid is?

Yea pretty much are equi distant

I have siblings, we have variance, doesn't mean that it was possible for us to be as dark as our father or light as our mother. Not even close. That childs skin tone matches the womans almost exactly

My mother is white

I'm pretty sure genetics is more complicated than just eyeballing the shades of the two people and making a guess. I've known mixed-race kids, and even siblings weren't the same shade.

Also, I've been a stepdad. This ad just reflects life.

Well yea I think it would be more acceptable to have a blonde kid on the mother's back

The implications with a white dad are obvious, and play into tropes.

It just doesn't make any sense to be advertising to be advertising in that way...How does picking a child that looks like it could be their biological child make it alienating to some one with a step family?

Terrrrible marketing or again genius if htey wanted controversy

WTF? Why?

Is it just me or is this message board running a sociological experiment to see how normal people respond to insane racists?

I was just reading about the uproar over the Old Navy ad featuring a supposedly interracial couple consisting of a white male, a Black female, and a Black child. I know the reasons for some Black people having a problem with the ad but i specifically want to understand why white people may have an issue with it? Can a white person that has an issue with the ad please explain why?

Discuss.
Discuss what? You know why some black people have a problem with it but you don't know why some white people do? Huh? I thought the comments in the Huffington Post article expressed the white bigot POV pretty well. What else do you seek to know?

I loathe all advertising, and this kind of pandering ad really makes me roll my eyes. I find it hard to accept the notion of corporations as the champions of ethical conduct and civil rights. Perhaps there is some social consciousness involved, but I suspect that they merely have calculated that inclusiveness is good for their bottom line.
True that, they're all for their clothes being made in sweat shops, but parade themselves as moral Orel

My mother is white

relative to being black like that kid clearly is or white like the average blonde kid is?

I have siblings, we have variance, doesn't mean that it was possible for us to be as dark as our father or light as our mother. Not even close. That childs skin tone matches the womans almost exactly

Spoken like the geneticist I'm sure you are not.

My mother is white

You sound like one of those white guys on Jerry Springer pretending to need a DNA test to know if a black baby is theirs. "there is a chance" lol

My mother is white

You sound like one of those white guys on Jerry Springer pretending to need a DNA test to know if a black baby is theirs. "there is a chance" lol

You're on a hot streak of nonsensical posts. Don't stop now.

My mother is white

You're debating about a marketing campaign and it's ramifications with some absurd line about how some one who's blonde haired and blue eyed could have recessive genes for black skin.

Your posts are inane, there is no world where that man could father a kid who looks like that boy with that woman*

You're debating about a marketing campaign and it's ramifications with some absurd line about how some one who's blonde haired and blue eyed could have recessive genes for black skin.

Your posts are inane, there is no world where that man could father a kid who looks like that boy.

And like I said, I doubt you have the necessary scientific CV to qualify you to make that assumption.

Your posts are inane, there is no world where that man could father a kid who looks like that boy.

And like I said, I doubt you have the necessary scientific CV to qualify you to make that assumption.

It's very polygenic, basic statistics will tell you what the distribution will look like. (there aren't going to be many kids who remain at the extremes of two parents with different skin tone*)

Molecular genetics of human pigmentation diversity

not too many humans who are going to buck the trend beyond albinos

My mother is white

No. See Gregor Mendel.

My mother is white

No. See Gregor Mendel.

Mendel Squares aren't really relevant...That's basic statistics. But whatever

You're talking about a lot of variables, you're not going to put a white and black couple through those squares after mapping their genome and come out with white or kids who are just as white or black as their parents* on the other side.

They're genetically going to be mixed, now a black American might be hiding some white genes. But the white guy sure as shit isn't hiding any black genes that are going to be statistically relevant.

Last edited:
I still wonder why this is a story with more perceived merit, and conversation on of the effects of slavery 150 years ago today, over the that fact actual slavery is bigger than it's ever been in our world today.

1. Because the effects of Slavery didn't end 150 years ago. Segregation didn't end until the 60's.

2. Slavery around the world isn't America. That's the discussion. Also in other countries slavery happens but is not LEGAL. In America it was and enforced by the govt in cases.

My mother is white

No. See Gregor Mendel.

You're talking about a lot of variables, you're not going to put a white and black couple through those squares after mapping their genome and come out with white or kids who are just as white or black as their parents* on the other side.

They're genetically going to be mixed, now a black American might be hiding some white genes. But the white guy sure as shit isn't hiding any black genes that are going to be statistically relevant.
Statistically relevant? Statistics are totally irrelevant. The desire was to create a provocative image which was intended to hitch the company's wagon to the star of racial inclusion. Your bizarre notion of likelihood as an editorial consideration is absurd. Yes, it is less likely that this couple would produce that child than their producing a child with a complexion halfway between the two parents. Less likely, but far, far from impossible. The assumptions that you keep imposing on this story are precisely the kind of unwarranted assumptions that this kind of inclusive philosophy is intended to resist. Who cares how "likely" the family is, or whether it's her child from another relationship, or a child they adopted which is related to neither of them, or her dead sister's child that she's raising with her boyfriend? It's a family, regardless of the details. Though in reality it's just three people who only came together because they were paid to.

My mother is white

No. See Gregor Mendel.

Statistically relevant? Statistics are totally irrelevant. The desire was to create a provocative image which was intended to hitch the company's wagon to the star of racial inclusion. Your bizarre notion of likelihood as an editorial consideration is absurd. Yes, it is less likely that this couple would produce that child than their producing a child with a complexion halfway between the two parents. Less likely, but far, far from impossible. The assumptions that you keep imposing on this story are precisely the kind of unwarranted assumptions that this kind of inclusive philosophy is intended to resist. Who cares how "likely" the family is, or whether it's her child from another relationship, or a child they adopted which is related to neither of them, or her dead sister's child that she's raising with her boyfriend? It's a family, regardless of the details. Though in reality it's just three people who only came together because they were paid to.

You have to think about the data you'd get from the Mendel Squares. Pretty obvious what the Mendel Squares are going to spit out

You're low IQ, go away

Talking about this in the context of a marketing campaign is absurd. They made a choice to portray that kid as too dark to be the blonde guys son. Period

I was just reading about the uproar over the Old Navy ad featuring a supposedly interracial couple consisting of a white male, a Black female, and a Black child. I know the reasons for some Black people having a problem with the ad but i specifically want to understand why white people may have an issue with it? Can a white person that has an issue with the ad please explain why?

Discuss.
I haven't see the ad, but as a white female I wouldn't have any objection to it. But then, I've been called an N-lover most of my life.

I'm sorry. I forgot to post it.

920x1240.jpg

You think this is normal?
It is very normal.

Discuss.

"I know the reasons for some Black people having a problem with the ad but i specifically want to understand why white people may have an issue with it?"

Elaborate please, meaning why can you understand black people having a problem with it, but you seem bewildered that white people shouldn't have a problem with it?

Why is this?
I can understand because i have already had it explained to me by numerous Black people. I want to find out why whites have an issue with it since I am not white.

Well I haven't had any black people explain to me why they have a problem with it, so could you as a black person tell me why?

Then I'll give my reasons.
Why should your reasons be reactionary? Can't you just give your reasons w/o having to react to someone else's?

Discuss.

I haven't seen that ad, but I wonder why you are juxtaposing Black and White reactions to it? Why would there be a difference?
I just posted the ad. i am asking because whites often have different reasons than Blacks on matter of race. Can you answer the question?

I think black people should only have relationships with black people, to preserve the black race.

I think white people should only have relationships with white people, to preserve the white race.

Now IF you think that makes me a "white supremacist" or some garbage like that....then you'd have to agree that the blacks are "black supremacists", we can't have a double standard regarding this issue.
Thank you. Some Blacks feel the same way. What i want to know is what is the ad doing to threaten what you think people should do?

The advertisement is normalising and almost encouraging white-black relationships and pro-creating, something that I'm strongly against, for the reasons I just articulated.

I know that in the black community, there's a large section of people who are vehemently against interracial relationships and I happen to agree with them, we each have a right, a human right, to preserve our respective races.

If we don't do this, we water down both races, which is what neither side should be wanting.
I don't see any reason that race needs to be "preserved". I do see that some want the white race to be in the "top dog" position world wide, which is unrealistic.

Forum List

Back