Who Writes Our Laws?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This is an unusual article written in a way that makes it difficult to nail down for posting here. It is very difficult to try to present the graphics.

So, here’s a try of summing it up.

Across all 50 states, it is very clear that private industry – and political organizations – were the prime mover behind laws introduced in all the 50 states.

An investigation by USA TODAY, The Arizona Republic and the Center for Public Integrity has found that in the last eight years, more than 10,000 bills introduced in statehouses nationwide were almost entirely copied from bills written by special interests.

More than 10,000!

They refer to “model bills” which are written by private entities and 2,100 of them have been signed into law in the last 8 years.

What do we elect legislators to do?

I’ll let you check it out for yourselves
@ How laws are written by corporations and interest groups, explained visually

Is ALEX still a thing? They were a one-stop shop for legislators to get business lobbyist approved legislation on everything, even stuff that had little to do with business..

Who Writes Our Laws?

Easy answer.

_101942103_koch-composite.jpg

FN-AE214_FN_DAV_P_20180719063306.jpg

105610474-1544123924534img_2459.530x298.jpg

This is an unusual article written in a way that makes it difficult to nail down for posting here. It is very difficult to try to present the graphics.

So, here’s a try of summing it up.

Across all 50 states, it is very clear that private industry – and political organizations – were the prime mover behind laws introduced in all the 50 states.

An investigation by USA TODAY, The Arizona Republic and the Center for Public Integrity has found that in the last eight years, more than 10,000 bills introduced in statehouses nationwide were almost entirely copied from bills written by special interests.

More than 10,000!

They refer to “model bills” which are written by private entities and 2,100 of them have been signed into law in the last 8 years.

What do we elect legislators to do?

I’ll let you check it out for yourselves
@ How laws are written by corporations and interest groups, explained visually
Sad world.

interesting. Is it reasonable to expect legislators to do this themselves? I thought they had paid staff to do this stuff. I don't doubt that special interests provide suggested wording, but one hopes that the Legislators exercise their judgment.

Forum List

Back