Who Will Replace McCarthy as Speaker?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
WASHINGTON, Oct 1 (Reuters) - Top U.S. House Republican Kevin McCarthy said on Sunday he expected to survive a threat to his speakership after a hardline critic within his party called for his ouster following the passage of a stopgap government funding bill that drew more support from Democrats than Republicans.

Hardline Republican Representative Matt Gaetz told multiple U.S. media outlets he would file a "motion to vacate," a call for a vote to remove McCarthy as speaker, testing McCarthy's support in the House of Representatives, which his party controls by a narrow 221-212 margin.

Assuming that the Dems don't adopt him, that is.

Gaetz plans to move quickly to oust him.

Gaetz is one of a group of about two dozen hardliners who forced McCarthy to endure a withering 15 rounds of voting in January before he was elected speaker, during which they squeezed out concessions, including a rule change to allow any one House member to call for a vote to oust the speaker.

It was not clear how much support McCarthy would have in such a vote, or whether any Democrats would back him. McCarthy angered Democrats last month by launching an impeachment inquiry of President Joe Biden.

"If at this time next week Kevin McCarthy is still speaker of the House, it will be because Democrats bailed him out," Gaetz said in an interview on ABC. "I am relentless and I will continue to pursue this objective."

McCarthy stunned Washington on Saturday when he backed a bill to fund the government through Nov. 17, averting a partial shutdown but not imposing any of the spending cuts or changes to border security that his hardline colleagues had called for.

That part in red may be the nail in McCarthy's coffin as far as being speaker. So, who will it be?

Obviously, there is no need to select the next speaker before voting to vacate the chair. I say "obviously," but apparent some who are old enough to know better think that is a requirement. Once KM is gone, that fight will start. I see three ways to go, with shades in between:

1) The RINO's put up one of their own and the Freedom Caucus fights them, this time being very leery to accept promises.

2) The Freedom Caucus puts up one of their own and the RINO opposition keeps them from going anywhere.

3) The non-RINO's/non-Freedom Republicans put up one and both of the ends of the spectrum negotiate for their votes.

Who are the NR/NF's? I would say those among the 90 Republicans who voted no on the CR, but are not members of the FC. That is 45 NR/NF's.

It will be an interesting week, and I don't think that we will have a new Speaker anytime soon. I don't know what the procedure is when there is no Speaker in a situation like that. The articles I can find warn of dire consequences, and a House that cannot function. But that was when the issue was no Speaker in January following the 2022 turnover of the House.

The most senior member of the House is a Republican named Hal Rogers, known as the "Dean of the House." As the House operates on seniority for so much of its business, maybe he would be followed if he stepped up as acting Speaker.

Earlier today I said the Democrats might save him over support for Ukraine. Then we get a bipartisan release supporting Ukraine. McCarthy isn't going anywhere.

I believe Democrats will vote "present" and let the republicans flail about aimlessly like they did the first time.

WASHINGTON, Oct 1 (Reuters) - Top U.S. House Republican Kevin McCarthy said on Sunday he expected to survive a threat to his speakership after a hardline critic within his party called for his ouster following the passage of a stopgap government funding bill that drew more support from Democrats than Republicans.

Hardline Republican Representative Matt Gaetz told multiple U.S. media outlets he would file a "motion to vacate," a call for a vote to remove McCarthy as speaker, testing McCarthy's support in the House of Representatives, which his party controls by a narrow 221-212 margin.

Gaetz is one of a group of about two dozen hardliners who forced McCarthy to endure a withering 15 rounds of voting in January before he was elected speaker, during which they squeezed out concessions, including a rule change to allow any one House member to call for a vote to oust the speaker.

It was not clear how much support McCarthy would have in such a vote, or whether any Democrats would back him. McCarthy angered Democrats last month by launching an impeachment inquiry of President Joe Biden.

"If at this time next week Kevin McCarthy is still speaker of the House, it will be because Democrats bailed him out," Gaetz said in an interview on ABC. "I am relentless and I will continue to pursue this objective."

McCarthy stunned Washington on Saturday when he backed a bill to fund the government through Nov. 17, averting a partial shutdown but not imposing any of the spending cuts or changes to border security that his hardline colleagues had called for.

That part in red may be the nail in McCarthy's coffin as far as being speaker. So, who will it be?

Obviously, there is no need to select the next speaker before voting to vacate the chair. I say "obviously," but apparent some who are old enough to know better think that is a requirement. Once KM is gone, that fight will start. I see three ways to go, with shades in between:

1) The RINO's put up one of their own and the Freedom Caucus fights them, this time being very leery to accept promises.

2) The Freedom Caucus puts up one of their own and the RINO opposition keeps them from going anywhere.

3) The non-RINO's/non-Freedom Republicans put up one and both of the ends of the spectrum negotiate for their votes.

Who are the NR/NF's? I would say those among the 90 Republicans who voted no on the CR, but are not members of the FC. That is 45 NR/NF's.

It will be an interesting week, and I don't think that we will have a new Speaker anytime soon. I don't know what the procedure is when there is no Speaker in a situation like that. The articles I can find warn of dire consequences, and a House that cannot function. But that was when the issue was no Speaker in January following the 2022 turnover of the House.

The most senior member of the House is a Republican named Hal Rogers, known as the "Dean of the House." As the House operates on seniority for so much of its business, maybe he would be followed if he stepped up as acting Speaker.

McCarthy stays Speaker

Here Gaetz talks about his take on the Dems helping McCarthy stay in power:

He agrees that Democrats will probably bail McCarthy out. When they do, they will own him, because he will be working for them, at their pleasure.

He vows to make no deal with Democrats to get them to not save McCarthy.

Here's a Foxnews interview with Keven McCarthy:

They are really fawning over him. I'm sure the Kevinistas on here will love it.

He talked about how he wanted to put funding in to secure the border and the FC did not vote for it. Any money to "secure the border" is a complete waste so long as Biden is in the WH, and he knows that.

He talked about how he wouldn't give up, how the troops deserve to be paid, etc. They never asked the obvious question of "if you were going to do this, all along, why didn't you do it sooner?

Another good clip of Gaetz:

Notice how he doesn't have to parse his own words, take long pauses before answering questions, or change the subject instead of answering questions.

I'm sure he is right, now that I see his logic. McCarthy likely will continue to be speaker, and he will do it by prostituting himself to the Democrats.

Notice how he doesn't have to parse his own words, take long pauses before answering questions, or change the subject instead of answering questions.

I'm sure he is right, now that I see his logic. McCarthy likely will continue to be speaker, and he will do it by prostituting himself to the Democrats.

Another speaker has to work with Dems too. This is pointless

Another speaker has to work with Dems too. This is pointless
Not if another speaker could unite the Republicans. The Dems are way better at this than the Republicans. Government is their lives, so they work harder at it. No matter how small a majority Dems have, they nearly always manage to keep it in line. Dems like Manchin and that other one are rare, but Reps side with the Dems frequently.

Mainly, I think, because of the media that frightens politicians.

Sub-contract it out to some foreigner, one with a funny accent, like a Swede or a Norwegian, maybe Latka. We can have a 3D graphic do the job and still be better off than these ass clowns.

McCarthy will do some horse trading with the Democrats, and retain the speakership .

Trump is obviously going to prison.

The KOAS caucus will be marginalized, then eliminated in the next election.

R.I.P. MAGA!!!

McCarthy will do some horse trading with the Democrats, and retain the speakership .

R.I.P. MAGA!!!
With your track record, I would bet on the other horse.

And Jeb, the real leader of the RNC.

R.I.P. MAGA!!!
If Trump goes to prison it will just make him stronger. I think they are starting to figure that out.

If Matt Goetz removed McCarthy, the person who replaces him won't be more to the right than McCarthy. The person won't be a Majorie Taylor Green type.

“He likes the attention,” Crockett said, pointing to media coverage of Gaetz’s repeated threats to oust McCarthy.
“My deal is this: If you’re gonna do it, do it. but he loses all of his leverage,” Crockett said of Gaetz. “At the end of the day, there’s no one else that has the votes. So, if you can find somebody, great, but it’s not going to be somebody further to the right and, honestly, it’s probably not going to be anybody to the left of them either.”

“At the end of the day, for me and my vote right now, I’m looking at the soon-to-be Speaker of the House, and that is [Hakeem] Jeffries,” she added of the current House minority leader.
Crockett was one of two Democrats who went viral last week for expertly ridiculing Republicans’ evidence-free impeachment inquiry proceedings against President Joe Biden.

During a hearing Thursday in Washington, two expert witnesses called by Republicans said there wasn’t currently enough evidence to impeach Biden,

One image showed a quote from Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) conceding that Republicans are “not interested” in whether the accusations against Biden are accurate.

noting how often Republicans mentioned the word “if” and the name of the president’s son Hunter Biden.

“If they had continued to say ‘if’ and ‘Hunter,’ and we were playing a drinking game, I would be drunk by now,” she said, arguing that Republicans had yet to focus on Joe Biden himself and what he had supposedly done to warrant impeachment.

“What is the crime?” Crockett recalled wondering. “I can’t seem to find the crime, and no one has testified what crime they believe the president of the United States has committed.”
To demonstrate Republicans’ hypocrisy on crime, she presented a photo that appeared to show FBI evidence obtained from Trump’s Florida resort.

“When we start talking about things that look like evidence, they want to act like they’re blind. They don’t know what this is,” she said, before referring to government documents allegedly stored next to a toilet at Trump’s club.

Forum List

Back