Who was the First Republican?

3487686690_98e6301305_o.gif

You can go ahead and apply that theory to both carnival parties.

Not really. The Democratic party was created from portions of the old Democratic-Republican party. So they have a legitimate direct link to Jefferson's party.

Uh...sure.

So, since the Democratic party has DIRECT links to the KKK, to racism and the oppression of black voting rights, can we remind you of that also? I meaning using the logic of Gekaap and all?

Actually, it was Thomas Jefferson who formed the Republican Party in 1794 to stand for freedom and liberty from government. Modern Republicans, especially Tea Party Republicans, stand for exactly the same thing.
Actually, it was Nimrod.
You don't have the mental capacity to handle that, or even to know who/what he was.

Conservative, Republican, Liberal, and Democrat definitions have all changed since formation, so pinning labels on founders vs contemporaries is futile

:cool:

Conservative, Republican, Liberal, and Democrat definitions have all changed since formation, so pinning labels on founders vs contemporaries is futile

:cool:

It is of course true that words change meaning over time, but it is also true that Jefferson was for freedoom and liberty from government above all as are modern Republicans. So, using today's definitions Jefferson was a conservative. Liberals, therefore, have no real connection to America's founding principles. This explains why they spied for Stalin and took the 5th when Joe McCarthy asked them if they were communists.

Last edited:
The Republican party's link to Jefferson is, at best, fallacy of equivocation.

How can that be if modern Republicans stand for freedom and liberty from government above all as did Jeffersonian Republicans. This is especially obvious given that Democrats are very open about their love of government and opposition to freedom and liberty from government.

Last edited:
Who was the First Republican?

The "real" question is, "Who was the FIRST Conservative?"

Whoever he was, we can guarantee, "He wasn't a scientist".

Actually, it was Thomas Jefferson who formed the Republican Party in 1794 to stand for freedom and liberty from government. Modern Republicans, especially Tea Party Republicans stand for exactly the same thing.

Kevin Karl Kane was the first "conservative".

Who the hell is Kevin Kane?

By the way, the KKK were mostly Democrats.

Funny, when it comes to the Klan, the left can quote all things Klan like nobody's business.

"legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind. The descent of property of every kind therefore to all the children, or to all the brothers and sisters, or other relations in equal degree is a politic measure, and a practicable one. Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise."

-- Thomas Jefferson; from letter to James Madison (Oct. 28,1785)

Founding.com: A Project of the Claremont Institute

it would seem that the GOP is REPUBLICAN IN NAME ONLY :eusa_eh:

Abraham Lincoln was the first republican President

""You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by encouraging class hatred.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

Abraham Lincoln was the first republican President

""You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by encouraging class hatred.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."
Not by modern definition of Republican, though.
I hate seeing Lincoln's name linked to my party if for this quote alone.....

If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

Actually, it was Thomas Jefferson who formed the Republican Party in 1794 to stand for freedom and liberty from government. Modern Republicans, especially Tea Party Republicans, stand for exactly the same thing.

Unless you're black, Indian, don't own land or a Woman. Other than that-you're spot on! :clap2:

Oh and he was so for small government-he would never double the size of the country (something which no other president has done), with one stroke of a pen. Yeah that's small government all right! (I know he was for small government-just saying he didn't always take his won advice very well).

PS: He (and Madison-a big government guy), formed the Democratic-Republican Party, which broke off into several smaller parties in the early 1800's.

PPS: The modern Republican party was founded in 1854-well after Jefferson was dead.

Last edited:

James: Unless you're black, Indian, don't own land or a Woman. Other than that-you're spot on! :clap2:

Brutus: Actually, Jefferson did more to get the freedom ball rolling than any other human being in history. HIs original draft of the constitution was mmore about slavery than taxes. He is perhaps the world's greatest hero. In a very real sense he just freed 2 billion from communism in China, USSR, and India

James: Oh and he was so for small government-he would never double the size of the country (something which no other president has done), with one stroke of a pen. Yeah that's small government all right! (I know he was for small government-just saying he didn't always take his won advice very well).

Brutus: It seems you've confused the size of the country with the size of the government. You can have freedom in both huge and tiny countries.

James: PS: He (and Madison-a big government guy), formed the Democratic-Republican Party, which broke off into several smaller parties in the early 1800's.

Brutus: Of course if that was true you could provide a quote from a speech, newspaper or letter where Jefferson called himself or the Party he formed in 1793, Democratic-Republican. Welcome to your first lesson in American History.

James: PPS: The modern Republican party was founded in 1854-well after Jefferson was dead.

Brutus: So then what did the newspapers, speeches , and surviving letters
from the 1790's call the Party Jefferson formed in 1794: Republican!!!

Dunn: "Although people were still deeply ambivalent about political parties, although one party did not necessarily recognize the legitimacy of the other, and although men on both sides were nostalgic- at one time or another- for the imaginary golden age of political harmony, few people could be found in the early 1790's who believed the parties did not exist. The parties had names: Federalist and Republican." -Susan Dunn, "Jefferson's Second Revolution."
-

SCIENCE BELONGS TO THE CONSERVATIVES. FOR EONS THE LIBERAL HAS TRIED TO OPPRESS TECHNOLOGY, WHILE THEY STAND ON THE SHOULDERS OF THOSE WHO ACTUALLY DO THE WORK. scientific acheivement comes from the private sector, only after the discovery or invention (and the liberal can't tell the difference) does the liberal come in and steal the concept for his own self gain. it's all right there in atlas shrugged and the fountainhead.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back