CDZ Who Was The First Party To Elect Blacks To Office?

its only a no brainer if you are qualified for a job that can make welfare irrelevant. Most people on welfare are not trained on these jobs or they wouldnt be on welfare in the first place.
There are free job training programs everywhere but one has to prefer work over a handout before they will be motivated to take advantage of them. The "I'm not qualified for that job" excuse doesn't hold water any more.
Where are there free job training programs that instantly make you trained in a field of work so you wont have to use welfare? You do realize training takes time and you still have to eat and feed your kids?
There are job training programs offered in nearly every community, and you still get your welfare checks while you are attending training classes. But again, you have to WANT to get off welfare.
Thats not what I asked. I asked which ones instantly get you trained so you dont have to be on welfare?

I know a guy that was on welfare that was in hurricane Katrina.
He was not able to get off welfare because it did not pay him enough to move out of that city in order to look for, or get a good job. It kept him tied down there.
They bused him and his two boys to our area.
He was willing and wanting to get off welfare.
He was able to find a job here, that also provided the housing for him from the company and his two boys and it was on the job training.
He got off welfare instantly and he is still working at that same job today making a very good wage with great benefits.
Why didnt he just move to the new city and get welfare there? Its not clear who bused him and his two boys to your area? If you are saying the company paid for it do they advertise this fact anywhere?

There are free job training programs everywhere but one has to prefer work over a handout before they will be motivated to take advantage of them. The "I'm not qualified for that job" excuse doesn't hold water any more.
Where are there free job training programs that instantly make you trained in a field of work so you wont have to use welfare? You do realize training takes time and you still have to eat and feed your kids?
There are job training programs offered in nearly every community, and you still get your welfare checks while you are attending training classes. But again, you have to WANT to get off welfare.
Thats not what I asked. I asked which ones instantly get you trained so you dont have to be on welfare?

He was not able to get off welfare because it did not pay him enough to move out of that city in order to look for, or get a good job. It kept him tied down there.
He was able to find a job here, that also provided the housing for him from the company and his two boys and it was on the job training.
He got off welfare instantly and he is still working at that same job today making a very good wage with great benefits.
Why didnt he just move to the new city and get welfare there? Its not clear who bused him and his two boys to your area? If you are saying the company paid for it do they advertise this fact anywhere?

The Federal Government moved thousands by bus, of Katrina victims to different States. He and his boys were one of them bused to our town. That was the only way he was able to get out of there by the Government, who bused him to our town.
I said that he could not afford to move out of New Orleans in order to get a new job. Welfare did not pay him enough to move away and kept him there on government assistance.
I read a book a few years back on slavery, sorry I can't recall the name of it, but one slave lady said it really well. It really stuck in my mind at what she said.
Harriet Jacobs, a slave who eventually escaped, said:
"I would ten thousand times rather that my children should be the half-starved paupers of Ireland than to be the most pampered among the slaves of America."
It describes some of the Government aid programs of today very well.
They are designed to keep people on the programs.

The Federal Government moved thousands by bus, of Katrina victims to different States. He and his boys were one of them bused to our town.
I said that he could not afford to move out of New Orleans in order to get a new job. Welfare did not pay him enough to move away and kept him there on government assistance.
I read a book a few years back on slavery, sorry I can't recall the name of it, but one slave lady said it really well. It really stuck in my mind at what she said.
"I would ten thousand times rather that my children should be the half-starved paupers of Ireland than to be the most pampered among the slaves of America."
You cant equate welfare to slavery until it becomes mandatory for you to be on welfare. I think the difference is that no matter how pampered a slave you were, you still were not free. People on welfare have every right people not on welfare have. The only thing holding them back would be lack of jobs in the area they live in and in the case of Blacks, Hispanics maybe racism.

The Federal Government moved thousands by bus, of Katrina victims to different States. He and his boys were one of them bused to our town.
You cant equate welfare to slavery until it becomes mandatory for you to be on welfare. I think the difference is that no matter how pampered a slave you were, you still were not free. People on welfare have every right people not on welfare have. The only thing holding them back would be lack of jobs in the area they live in and in the case of Blacks, Hispanics maybe racism.

That is the exact point, they don't have the freedom to move around to find good jobs , if none are in their area.

That is the exact point, they don't have the freedom to move around to find good jobs , if none are in their area.
Yeah they do. People do it all the time. I cant count how many people on welfare moved into the area I grew up in and started a new life. Some got jobs and others reapplied for welfare.

Democrats can't defend their racist roots because as you stated, it's documented history. Instead, they claim the parties suddenly just "switched sides". A ridiculous claim but it's all they have.

it certainly is a ridiculous claim

but without it

they have no other excuse

Yeah they do. People do it all the time. I cant count how many people on welfare moved into the area I grew up in and started a new life. Some got jobs and others reapplied for welfare.

They moved to another State with good jobs?

The question concerns what SJ called "government monetary slavery called welfare". That's partisan
I'm not the one who said that but it's true, nonetheless.

I said it and it's true, it is not hyperbole.
You equate government programs with slavery and then claim it's not hyperbole? I'm not sure you understand the definitions of "slavery" "government programs" and "hyperbole".

I have known many people on welfare.
Once you go on it , it is very difficult to get off of it. They live month to month on welfare and it does not allow people to get enough money in order to really help them out of their poverty, it is designed to keep them in their poverty and that is monetary enslavement.
When the get only the minimum payments each month to just barely survive they can't get enough to save and get them out of it.
That's monetary slavery.
Welfare is the provision of a minimal level of well-being and social support for all citizens, sometimes referred to as public aid.
How about raising the minimum wage? What about a $10.00 minimum for any worker who works 30 hours or more a week? The working poor.

I know that many Conservatives want to coddle the wealthy and turn their nose up at any suggestion that the working poor be paid a fair wage. But if, in your opinion and based on your limited and anecdotal 'evidence', government programs are tantamount to slavery, why not an Emancipation Proclamation for the 21st century and call for a raise in the minimum wage?

How about the people who make the job determine how much to pay for the work....and if you don't like that amount....you go somewhere else.....?

It is slavery and similar to drug addiction, designed to keep people dependent (enslaved).
Do you have proof that, once on government programs, no one can get off them? Be cautious. I work with folks on government programs and have done so for the past 11 years.

So have I.

Talk to anyone on public assistance, be it unemployment insurance, Social Security disability, food stamps, Medicaid, Section 8 housing, what have you, and you'll find that these benefits are predominantly structured to disincentivize incremental steps toward becoming financially independent. Often they will have income thresholds above which the assistance abruptly and completely disappears instead of tapering off. But those thresholds are still pretty far from a reasonable and comfortable living, leaving an income gap in which you'd have a higher standard of living on public assistance. So to make ends meet, the welfare recipient is stuck collecting welfare and hoping for a quantum leap in income that may never come.

One person I know who is collecting Social Security for a mental disability, though she was productively contributing on a very part-time basis at a daycare. She literally told me, "I can't work more hours or my Social Security will go away." If she worked full time, which she was capable of doing, her total income would have fallen enough that she would have lost her apartment. Given the situation, it is just as rational a choice for her to work very little at part time.
It is all structured to keep them in the system.
I've talked to plenty of former welfare recipients. Your information is wrong.

Welfare-to-Work

"In addition, program participants may be eligible for help with child care , transportation, and work-related or training-related expenses. Moreover, participants who find a job and are no longer eligible for welfare may continue to receive help with medical care and child care expenses."

Yeah that program has not worked out too well has it?
California is the 3rd largest State with people on welfare and New York is number one.
I know plenty of people its worked for. I think you are mixing up economics and job availability with your opinion on welfare. If there are no jobs those programs dont work out much do they?

I'm willing to let the mods inter
If jobs are available, they should apply for them. Isn't that a no brainer?
its only a no brainer if you are qualified for a job that can make welfare irrelevant. Most people on welfare are not trained on these jobs or they wouldnt be on welfare in the first place.
Ok, I'll bite. What do you mean by "instantly get you trained"?

From Wikipedia
Political Firsts for Women and Minorities

From its inception in 1854 to 1964, when Senate Republicans pushed hard for passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 against a filibuster by Senate Democrats, the GOP had a reputation for supporting blacks and minorities. In 1869, the Republican-controlled legislature in Wyoming Territory and its Republican governor John Allen Campbell made it the first jurisdiction to grant voting rights to women. In 1875, California swore in the first Hispanic governor, Republican Romualdo Pacheco. In 1916 Jeannette Rankin of Montana became the first woman in the United States Congress. In 1928, New Mexico elected the first Hispanic U.S. Senator, Republican Octaviano Larrazolo. In 1898, the first Jewish U.S. Senator elected from outside of the former Confederacy was Republican Joseph Simon of Oregon. In 1924, the first Jewish woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives was Republican Florence Kahn of California. In 1928, the Republican U.S. Senate Majority Leader, Charles Curtis of Kansas, who grew up on the Kaw Indian reservation, became the first person of significant non-European ancestry to be elected to national office, as Vice President of the United States for Herbert Hoover.
Blacks generally identified with the GOP until the 1930s. Every African American who served in the U.S. House of Representatives before 1935, and all of the African Americans who served in the U.S. Senate before 1979, were Republicans. Frederick Douglass after the Civil War and Booker T. Washington in the early 20th century were prominent Republican spokesmen.

Historically that is all of interest, but political parties have been known to change, so I would suggest that what the parties do today is of greater concern to the voters.

It is just a response to the OP.
If you study the history of the Republican party, you will find the reason, over time, for their consistent failure. The Democratic Republicans were the conservative party in the early 1800’s. Many conservatives were upset with some of their members support of liberal policies and formed the Whig party. The Whig party suffered the same fate. Some members supported slavery and other liberal policies and in the 1850’s was replaced by the Republican party we know today. Conservatism in today’s party has steadily declined. I believe the decline, at its’ core, is due to pressures and monetary compensation applied by interest groups.
Liberalism has always existed, in the Republican party, in small percentages. More conservative splinter groups (Whigs, Republicans, Tea Party) have sprung up, usually after Democrat administration failures.

They moved to another State with good jobs?
Yes.

I was going to use "immediately" instead of "instantly "but that had more letters. What is confusing you regarding the word "instantly"?

I was going to use "immediately" instead of "instantly "but that had more letters. What is confusing you regarding the word "instantly"?
Nothing, but you don't seem to have a point, so I won't bother to respond to your pointless posts in the future.

Nothing, but you don't seem to have a point, so I won't bother to respond to your pointless posts in the future.
You should have asked what my point was instead of asking what I meant by instantly.

You said there are job training programs in nearly every community. What puts food in peoples belly while they are training? If they cant work they would need to be on welfare until such time they could get a viable job. You claimed that people would need to want to work instead of getting a handout. What job training pays you enough to feed yourself and your family without getting on welfare and therefore getting a handout?

You should have asked what my point was instead of asking what I meant by instantly.

You said there are job training programs in nearly every community. What puts food in peoples belly while they are training? If they cant work they would need to be on welfare until such time they could get a viable job. You claimed that people would need to want to work instead of getting a handout. What job training pays you enough to feed yourself and your family without getting on welfare and therefore getting a handout?
I answered that in post #137.

I said without getting on welfare. It clearly says you get welfare. Did you forget you said that?

There are job training programs offered in nearly every community, and you still get your welfare checks while you are attending training classes.

I said without getting on welfare. It clearly says you get welfare. Did you forget you said that?

There are job training programs offered in nearly every community, and you still get your welfare checks while you are attending training classes.
When you want to have a serious discussion, let me know, ok?

Forum List

Back